PinSound - Chpooy sound on TOTAN

By SilverUnicorn

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Just installed a Pinsound Board in my TOTAN machine. Install went well, very straightforward. Did the sound file download and inserted into machine, turned on machine and let it do it's thing.

It downloaded, but the sound is choppy, and the speaker output changes about a minute in. (See video)

Any ideas on the ability to fix this?

Thanks!
Chris

#2 5 years ago

Probably the USB stick. I had to try a few different ones before I had consistent and reliable sound.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Probably the USB stick. I had to try a few different ones before I had consistent and reliable sound.

so the USB stick itself? I was using the one that came with the board. I can try another one. Never considered that. Thanks for the idea!

Chris

#4 5 years ago

I trued another USB stick with the same results.

Nickolas did email me back and asked the following:

"Thanks for the video, very useful.
When you enter the system menu, could you tell me the detected "sound
version"?"

Is there a menu on the board I am missing? I couldn't find any docuentation on that at all.

Thanks
Chris

#5 5 years ago

Man please let me know what you find. I get the exact same repeating glitches on several CFTBL callouts with the Wool mix. It’s seriously driving me insane... but the mix is so good I’m OK with living with it

#6 5 years ago

One thing someone pointed out is that in the video the LED indicator changes to red which indicates an Amp Fault, but I don't think that would be related. Who knows.

Chris

#7 5 years ago

Update: The red LED no longer appears since I installed the "stereo 2.0" wiring.

Still choppy sound

Voltages at the power supply are: +5 test point is +5. +12 Unreg is at +14. +12 Reg is +12

Voltages at the PinSound board are: +5 = +5, +12 is at +16 - I think this may be part of the issue. I have emailed Nicolas this information as well. We'll see

Chris

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

so the USB stick itself? I was using the one that came with the board. I can try another one. Never considered that. Thanks for the idea!
Chris

Yes the USB stick. I tried maybe six different brands and sizes when I first got a PinSound board before I had optimum results.

These are the ones I use now on all my PinSound games:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2UJD22/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Unfortunately it looks like they are out of stock.

I always had trouble with the sticks that were 16 or 32 or 64 gigs in size. The built in sticks that came with PS never worked well either.

I can't promise results but I'd suggest at least trying a USB 3.0 8GB stick before giving up on the USB stick theory.

#9 5 years ago

Update - Still not working, although Nicolas has been fantastic in troubleshooting.

At this point I beliebe the issue is with my A/V board and NOT the PinSound board.

The voltages coming from the AV board are wrong, as I think because if that the signals aren't correct, which confuses the PinSound board.

Will continue to update as warranted.

#10 5 years ago

I fixed my issue finally. In the previous install I had manually extracted the zip and created an audio folder on the USB stick.

Using the same stick I deleted everything, and simply added the zip archive.

I let pinsound do its thing to process it, and half an hour later it works 100%, no more weird repeated loop glitches in the spots it was happening before. Maybe give that a shot?

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I fixed my issue finally. In the previous install I had manually extracted the zip and created an audio folder on the USB stick.
Using the same stick I deleted everything, and simply added the zip archive.
I let pinsound do its thing to process it, and half an hour later it works 100%, no more weird repeated loop glitches in the spots it was happening before. Maybe give that a shot?

Thanks for the idea. This is how I had done the load on the card. I deleted everythign on the USB and put the downloaded Zip file on t he stick. Plugged it in, turned the game on and it did the update song for about 4 minutes Gave the boot noise but still had the choppy sounds

Chris

6 months later
#12 5 years ago

Curious, did you ever get this resolved?

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Curious, did you ever get this resolved?

Not yet, but It's not the Pinsound that is the issue. I truly believe that the issue is the AV board which is now with Chris Hibler for repair. I think that was sending misinformation to the Pinsound board which is th reason for the choppy audio. I will update once the AV board comes back from Chris.

Chris

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 36.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 84.99
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 119.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seward, AK
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-chpooy-sound-on-totan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.