pasted_image (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sc204.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#538 8 years ago

Decided to take the plunge for TZ. Never happy with the quality of the sound and wish that it had been a DCS game as Williams initially planned since I have owned it. (a little over a year). My other two games from that error TAFG and STTNG always sounded better. Especially with the Chris Granner mix being available I thought it was worth the expenditure. I hold onto my games for the most part and I don't see TZ leaving anytime soon so I can "depreciate" the cost over many years. Also bought a set of FF speakers (without crossovers for the Pinsound board)

Installation was easy as far as the board is concerned, speaker panel not as easy as a blind nut on each side was loose.
Tried the Granner mix first. Took about 20 minutes or so to organize files on the first boot-up. Since then I have learned about Freac Free audio converter program and this does the converting in a minute or so, so I now pre-convert files to wav format on my computer.

You have to play with the boards controls to get it to sound right. Initially I had minimal back box volume with the pots in the suggested setting. (sounded really bad) After playing a bit got is sounding pretty good. One real annoying "feature" was the volume of the conversion process (now skipping with Freac) and the volume of the startup sound. Found the feature where you can put any wav file in the audio folder and call it boot.wav for it to be played instead. I used the unused piano wav from the twilight zone mixes. Much better!!

I had thought that the Chris Granner files were the same as the native TZ just higher quality. They are actually different. Not bad but I would have to play the game for a while to see if I liked them better. As others have said familiarity is a big part of the game experience. The original file mix played through the pinsound board and the FF speakers does sound a whole lot better than stock though so I am still happy. I did not try the speakers with the original board and roms as it does not have the crossover that the standard FF speakers have, so I can't say if it is the board or just the speakers. Obviously the pinsound board has 3 separate amplifiers instead of just one that the original board has.

I don't think I would get one for STTNG or TAFG. I might upgrade the speakers in those games though. I would have to try one of the re-orchestrated mixes and find it much better than the original in order to support buying the board at its current price for those games.

#542 8 years ago
Quoted from Luppin:

Also very annoyed by the conversion process and startup volume, until I realized it' enough lowering the volume pot on the board!

You have to really lower the volume and then it is too low to play like that so you have to increase it again at least I would on my game.

"Try the reorchestrated TZ mix. It's incredible and exactly what you are looking for - familiarity with higher fidelity."

I think that is the Chriss Granner mix which I do have and mentioned above.

#547 8 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

Nope. The Granner mix is what he originally designed for the DCS sound system; but, when it was running late and TZ was running way over budget - he came up with the stock Golden Earing based version the game shipped with.
The one I'm referring to is this: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=73
It's a reworked version of the original.
Give it a whirl. It's my favorite.

Thanks I tried that one. Didn't like the combination of original voices and attempts at new voices.

#548 8 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

New owner here and just installed into my Guns n Roses with pinballpro speakers. Before I comment on performance, here are my issues. Anyone?
1) The pot volume control in my cabinet no longer does anything. Doesn't raise volume anymore. i thought I could still control volume the way I used to before this board?
2) The sounds are slightly delayed compared to what I'm seeing on the PF. How do you fix that as that is a critical issue.
3) Where is the mix for the original sound? Can I get that easily or do I need to down the original audit and convert everything, put in folders, etc?
4) Can I avoid hearing those beeps each time on startup? I thought so by doing boot.wav but it only plays that once the beeps are done.

The cabinet volume control is supposed to work as it did before. I don't have a Data East game so I can't say for sure. I know that if you read earlier posts there was some mention about Data East.

Did you update the firmware? You would think that a board would ship with the most recent firmware but...... Same for pinball machines shipping with older codes. I guess it is too much trouble to check before sending them out. I am pretty sure my new board did not have the newest firmware. Switching between mixes didn't work well until I updated it. Just take an extra USB drive and put the firmware update bin file on it and start the machine. It was easy enough. Shut down when finished and put back your USB with your game mixes.

I would think that Guns_and_Roses_1994.zip from the download area would be the original sounds. It would be nice if the download area included a description of the files contained in the mix.

I don't think the beeps are removable but luckily the boot.wav works to remove the loud ready sounds.

As far as delay, haven't noticed that on my TZ hopefully the board designers can help with that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Sugarloaf, CO
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sc204.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone?tu=sc204 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.