pasted_image (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cabuford.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1240 6 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Native 2.1 stereo, shaker port, led strip port, hq sounds?
Need to see some comparison to see what is different. Seems like the old me isn't for sale anymore on their website.

Differences I notice.

1)RCA out. convenient if you want to hook up to another amplifier (like your home theater system) or want to record. I can live without this.

2)Headphone "station" connection. Looks like a cat5 cable connection that I can only assume will run to a proprietary breakout board with headphone jack and volume control that you can mount up front. Cool idea, depending on cost. I bought a $10 cable from amazon to extend my original PinSound headphone jack, I got a 4pole cable so the speaker mute still functions Works great.

3)Shaker port. Supposedly this is on the original card too. Not yet supported in software fully so hard to tell

4)Led strip port. This I really wish I had. I've got some speaker lights that this could probably work well with.

I think when they're mentioning Native 2.1 and HQ sounds, they are comparing a Pinsound to a stock soundcard. I don't think there is anything new here regarding the new card.

I hope they update PinSound Studio. There are still some inconsistencies with it and the Data East sound engine.

All in all, I just got my Pinsound on black Friday, so I'm bummed not to have the newest, I did save a little bit of money.

#1243 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I think the software support is there for old board. With pinsound studio you can associate sounds to trigger two different output siganls. I believe what's missing is an interface board with relays to control the external shaker. I think some people just made their own interface board but the pinsound guys say they are working on their own hardware add on board.
I love the work they have done with pinsound which is an incredible product and worth every penny. However they lag a little with speed on implementing promised features and the depth of their documentation. There is a bit of a learning curve to make a custom sound mix.

I remember reading that about the shaker. I hope the hardware when it surfaces works on both boards. I was mad enough frying a $40 LEDwiz on a project, I’m not going to DIY something on a $400 card.

I hope the software comes around as well. It doesn’t play well with Data East so making mixes is especially tough.

5 months later
#1297 5 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

So you could also just create a silent wav file of 15 sec. to have it silent.

No, the "chirp" is letting you know the board is booting and I think checking for new audio files etc. Once the board boots it plays "boot.wav".

If it takes longer than 30 seconds, check your power supply board. My LW3 got slower and slower after the pinsound install, but hten I realized the DMD wasn't turning on either and the whole system was slow. New PSU board fixed that.

#1326 5 years ago
Quoted from Scorch:

So trying to make a custom orchestration for SST.
Couple of questions, there are 140 different folders in the voice folder. I'll probably only change 10-20 of them. do I need to keep all the other folders that I don't change (I'm assuming that I do, but not sure).
Also, in the music folder, there are 40 different folders, but most of them have the exact same sound file in them.... is that normal and how do I handle that... I guess put the replacement track in each folder, but that will make the file huge.

Keep everything you don't change, unless you are positive the game is not using it.

It takes some trial and error, but you can probably figure out which music track it is using. With pinsound studio you can playback a gameplay recording, or the easier, but slightly time consuming way, is to just keep swapping stuff and testing it on the machine.

I actually made audio files of me saying numbers and loaded it up in the game so I could be sure which folders were used. Lethal Weapon 3 definitely has some unused duplicate music files and call outs.

#1329 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

Is it possible to 'reclassify' the sounds and move some of these sounds out of the jingles category, or are the sounds stuck where they are?

Yes just move them to the other folder. Its that simple.

#1339 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

Now, you can't just create a folder with the missing file number yourself and put it on the corresponding category folder. That won't work. They have some sort of algorithm to define the actual foldernames. I guess it a secret of the trade.

They used to correspond. You used to be able to use Pinsound audio packages with Visual Pinball without running PinSound Studio. They changed it all a while back. Its super annoying because the original numbers kinda made some sense. Luckily I still have the original LW3 and DESW audio packs.

My LW3 is currently running with the original folder numbers, I hope the new firmware doesn't break that.

2 weeks later
#1354 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

FWIW the firmware between pinsound 1 and pinsound+ is identical

Not in my experience. Mine was working fine, but figured I should upgrade. The Pinsound pages take you to the "+" files first (Why couldn't they just call it 2)

Wouldn't load on my card, found the original Pinsound help page and that download worked.

The original pinsound firmware update download is only 331kb, whereas the Pinsound + is 2.7mb. Not sure if I should be worried about the size discrepancy. The nice lady's voice told me it was updating, I haven't had a chance to check out the self diagnosis feature, but the board works and sounds the same to me. (great as always!)

I'm going to do much more experimenting now that PinStudio 1 fixes the DE engine problem. Currently if I don't add a config file manually to the USB stick that tells it its a Data East it handles jingles, etc differently.

5 months later
#1426 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

One thing I would like if I had a wish, is the ability to store multiple mixes on the board and switch to them without accessing the backbox. My lineup is very tight spacing wise and it's a pain to access it.

Obviously you've been pointed on how to add more mixes, but I also added a $6 USB extension cable so my USB drive is now right inside the coin door. Very handy for when I was first creating my mix.

1 month later
#1464 5 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I'm thinking about getting my first PinSound board. I just found out they are close to getting the BTTF software ready to test. I figured I would put the board in my Frankenstein while I wait for BTTF.
Does anybody have a recommendation of a cheaper option for replacing the speakers? I don't want to buy a kit from the usual guys. I already have a Polk self powered sub, so I would just need to replace the backbox speakers. What about Parts Express?
Thanks,
Rich

I put these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000230LBI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title in a DESW and Lethal Weapon 3. One has a Pinsound, one doesn't. Speakers sound great in both, and they were only $15. The originals were intact but I figured what the hell.

2 months later
#1539 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If you want to upgrade to a PinSound+ - for serious, I will buy one and ship it to you if you send me your PinSound 1.

Do you prefer the 1 over the plus for some reason?

2 months later
#1571 4 years ago

Very excited for this. Firing the shaker through pinsound via callouts should be alot easier that wiring it up to flashers. Glad it will work with the original board as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 5.00
$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 14.95
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

£ 110.00
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cabuford.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone?tu=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.