Topic Stats

• 1,708 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 31 days ago by jrawlinson_2000
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 77 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.05.58 PM (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1947.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hazzard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1183 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Nope, you don't have to - if you have the correct file structure and have already converted the sound files to .WAVs, it will just work. The PinSoundStudio software does all this for you if you don't want to wait for the game to unzip and convert everything

I agree. Why wait hours for the board to unzip, when you can unzip to .wav and it`s booted and gameready in 15 seconds? In some cases you may need to convert .ogg to .wav, but still worth it.

3 months later
#1263 1 year ago

Yes. Audacity and YouTube. Youtube for sfx/Spotify for music. I use cubase for creating more extensive sound effects and voices, but if you find FX that sound great on YouTube that's a very easy route to go. In audacity you select your soundcard as source (loopback), hit record in audacity and go over to YouTube and hit play on the audio clip you want to record. Stop the recording, edit start and end position with short fade in/out, do some equalisation and maybe a bit compression and normalizing to get the level you want. Maybe some reverb or delay for a more exciting sound. Export as .wave file 16bit/44.1 to the folder containing the file you need to replace. Delete the old one or just overwrite it. Once you do this enough times, it gets easier and takes less time. But still it takes a a LOT of time getting it just the way you want it...

#1265 1 year ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

Hey everyone,
I just installed Pinsound Speakers and not sure if this happened to anyone else but the speakers sound quite quiet and muddy. It was actually much crisper and louder with my DCS speakers! I'm using Pinsound Speakers (Williams Kit) and Pinsound 1 Board with Stereo 2.1 cables on my WPC-DCS Judge Dredd. Any advice? The subwoofer itself is realllllly quiet. Sound like they are far away and travelling through packing material
I've even dialed in the recommended DCS EQ settings on the potentiometers on the Board. Ive tried three sound mixes and they all sound muddy and so very quiet.
I've contacted Pinsound and am awaiting a response.

I am pretty sure you have connected it wrong. Use the CN4 Data East stereo output. And make sure it's connected the right side up.

3 months later
#1337 1 year ago
Quoted from DML1001:

So far, here is what I've noticed is different with the pinsound 'default' sound package versus the original board:
-Missing extra ball sound (nothing plays when extra ball is awarded)
-Tire screeching sound that plays on first & second multiball lock (and other spots) is replaced by a different sound. It sounds more like one of the gear shift noises
-Weird ducking issues with some SFX which are classified as stingers (police noise 3 for example)

If you are missing sounds, open the project in pinsound studio. It will give you a list of missing sounds with corresponding numbers after. These numbers represent a folder on the usb drive for each sound missing. When I was remaking the Sega Frankenstein audio I had the same issues, missing sounds that I knew was supposed to be there. I contacted pinsound via Facebook messenger, sent them the list of missing files, and they sent me a list of foldernames to put the missing sounds in.

Now, you can't just create a folder with the missing file number yourself and put it on the corresponding category folder. That won't work. They have some sort of algorithm to define the actual foldernames. I guess it a secret of the trade.

5 months later
#1392 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Thanks. Just felt like someone needed to put it altogether, so I would share what I learned.

Absolutely fantastic work!

1 week later
#1398 1 year ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Stay away! Problems! Not worth the headaches!

Now that's bullcrap for sure...

#1444 1 year ago

Nice and detailed review! Singles are sounds that won't repeat, thus great for endings and game over sounds etc.

4 weeks later
#1450 12 months ago
Quoted from Davi:

The original Pinsound board has separated volume knob for cabinet and backbox volume. On Pinsound Plus, how can I adjust the volume balance between backbox and cabinet?
Seems this feature is gone... Or am I missed something?

I believe the subbass pot is the cabinet volume.

#1472 12 months ago

Stock DE speakers are the worst to ever exist on this planet! If you are buying a pinsound board replace them with even the cheapest 4" car speaker and the sound will improve drastically!

Sorry to step on feet, but I almost got a heart attack reading DE speakers are decent...

I actually had a ritual with my stock DE speakers involving a hammer, flamethrower and napalm.

#1473 12 months ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Actually I'm going to be putting the board in a Sega Frankenstein first.

I believe you will keep it in your Frankenstein after loading up my latest pinsound mix

Now where's the emoticon for overconfident?

#1479 11 months ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Your youtube video is what convinced me to buy one! Great job! My board will get here on Thursday and I will be downloading your mix right away.
Thanks,
Rich

Thanks Rick, it means a lot! Enjoy

#1482 11 months ago
Quoted from Averell:

Digital Equalizer, sort of Bullshit!!!

Personally, I love the extended EQ possibilities to get rid of those nasty upper mid frequencies, and scoop out the boomy stuff since a backbox is really not the ideal speaker enclosure.

#1484 11 months ago
Quoted from Davi:

Where do you see extended EQ possibilities compared to Pinsound 1?

That would be the eq medium.

#1487 11 months ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Just for clarity - can I buy PinSound+ for my TAF and have exactly the same music and sounds as the standard machine?
I don't want remixes or "reimaginings", I get that some people enjoy that but I consider it sacrilegious
I get that it's "junk in, junk out" to some extent, so the source samples aren't going to be great anyway, but does PinSound make it much better?
I have a Flipper Fidelity system in my TAF and it sounds pretty underwhelming. I'm pretty sure it's working properly, and it does sound better than the stock speakers did, but only marginally. The FF kit in my Tron LE is like night and day by comparison, real floor shaking bass and clarity.

Yes, the samples are the same.
It is just like you say, junk in junk out. But, the pinsound board does have very good amplifier
spechs and an EQ section that you could tweak your speaker system with. That can be a powerful tool if used properly.

3 weeks later
#1501 11 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just finished upgrading my Jurassic Park speakers from original to the PinSound ones for Data East. I must say that I'm very satisfied with the upgrade. For the cabinet speaker, the bass is much deeper and handles volume significantly better. The backbox speakers clearly have a better frequency range, provide a richer sound, and the sound effects are clearly more distinguishable. The PinSound speakers are at least 5x heavier than the original speakers, and clearly better built, and perform noticeably better. Overall a great upgrade and I'm enjoying the results. I still need to install the headphone interface, but I'm done for the day working on pins
[quoted image][quoted image]

Is there a soft dome tweeter on these? Or is it the regular plastic ones?

#1503 11 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I don't remember (I think it is soft), but will have to take a speaker off to look. I can try to do this over the weekend sometime if you are on the fence of purchasing them.

Thank you!

1 week later
#1506 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Here is a pic - they look soft to me.
[quoted image]

Really nice! That's a sign of quality for sure!

1 month later
#1540 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, thanks for the tips. It seems to be intermittent. Some times the songs are very low and you can hardly hear them in the background (over the f/x and jingles). Other times, the music plays a lot louderand better quality. Also, when the Pinsound board is warming up, you cannot hear any ping sounds (is this specific to the Pinsound 1 board only?). When it plays the Pinsound intro music when it is loaded, it is also very low volume and you can't hear the base speaker. On my GnR, when it is fully warmed up, you can really hear it.

For some reason pinsound+ does not enable the cabinet speaker during the intro playback. I've been quite frustrated about that myself, making a cool bass heavy game intro doesn't sound bass heavy and cool at all...

#1543 9 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There are a number of changes in the plus that I don't like. Nothing major that would matter to most people. The plus is a bit faster so that part is definitely better

Yes, it triggers the sounds a lot faster, a great improvement I think!

#1547 9 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

the original USB drives shipped with the pinsound 1 are REALLY slow. updating to a faster USB drive is a significant improvement - same performance as PS+, but easier to dial in bass/treble discretely, and line out port

It's not the same performance I'm afraid.. According to Nicolas It's a totally new design and a lot of programming, blood, sweat and tears has been put into the effort to achieve that trigger response.

I have never had any issues with usb speed on any of my installations, but hey, those really cheap usb sticks can be really unstable.

#1549 9 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm sure the redesign was painful; but what matters is whether or not the sounds are
Playing at the right time, yes?

Oh yes, definitely.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Hazzard.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside