pasted_image (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 9 years ago

I've been thinking of getting once since October, but still having second thoughts -

First, does the board come with the sound package you ordered it for? Because trying to make your own from *standard* ROMs seems oddly incomplete. Some examples -
1. How do you create waves that only part loop? (Example - original ROM musics with 'intros'. Like WCS's drumbeat leading into main music.) You can't loop PART of a wave file/MP3.
2. Stripping them from M3 / 'Bridge' seems very poor, since it won't move past a music that loops unless you manually tell it to - this would require then having an audio software package on your system to edit the sound file down to a perfect loop.
3. The 'lists' file that they give you to download is missing a LOT of games. (Apparently, of all the games I've looked at, only WCS was in there. No JY or RS..)
4. Folder names - there's some horribly misspelled folders in the 'folder zip' files available for games. Most recently I was looking at JY, and saw 'player_on_is_a_soft_nudge'. Seriously, what's a soft nudge? It's "Player one is top notch". For all four players this is there like that. (And that's just one example of many).

Edit to add: No mention on any of the speaker upgrades whether the amp is expecting 4ohm or 8ohm speakers.

So not being able to easily change between games for STOCK sounds - based on what has to be done above - has put me off on getting one for now.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

Sure, can you point a short video of this feature on your original machine?

Actually, I can't, since the only game I have is TZ, and it has none of these. However, a known example is WCS - at ball shoot, it plays address 0x3, which is named "Intro + Norm Main". There's a short intro, and then the main music starts playing - when it loops, it jumps back to not the beginning of the whole sound, but the beginning of Main. (i.e. It doesn't repeat the 'Intro' part.)

Quoted from PinSound:

I invite you to have a look on the user created original and remix packages on the community forum, you will see that somes users already made this work.

Only 7 machines are uncomplete (naming not complete) but it will be available shortly.

The naming of the sounds was made 2 years ago by the community (not everyone is native english) , we would be very pleased if you shared with us your correction (to do so, simply send us the fixed zip containing the sound structure).

Ah, okay - this is good to hear then, it would explain some of the things I've seen.

Before I send in any corrections, is there any reason to names folders with two keys? (i.e. in JunkYard, there's "000245-sameas-000243-laser_shutdown", as well as some others. Not sure if this is in error, or if this is something special the PinSound board does with it.)

Quoted from PinSound:

The board works with 4 and 8 ohm speakers, we add this to the documentation.

Okay, fantastic.

3 weeks later
#76 9 years ago

Curious -
Does anyone have one in a TZ yet? If so, could you PM me? I would like to see (hear) something.

Thanks!
-Mike

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Dug: up now:
» YouTube video
The video's with the glass is off and my son holding a phone to record me playing badly, but it gives an impression of what the sound is like. Not hugely different to the original, but good.

Sounds good!

Would you mind doing an experiment for me?
To explain - I'm curious how the 'multi channels' works as opposed to the original sound board. This 'test' will show whether more 'voices' can be played, or if they're still chopped off. (And oddly, this is my biggest question now that everything else was answered..!)

Set up:
1. Set PinSound board to original sounds.
2. Set game to start a new game on a long-start press.
3. Play a game and get onto 2nd or 3rd ball.

Record:
1. With ball in shooter lane, press and hold start button WHILE shooting the ball into the slot scoop. (At the same time).

On the original board, Rod will start the "You open this door with the key of imagination.". However, as soon as the ball hits the slot switch, Rod will get cut off when the sound for the slot starts. In theory, one of the board's selling points (quote: ''multi-tracks (the PinSound board can play many songs at the same time, unlike legacy sound board, which is more limited)'') means that in a case like this, Rod would continue speaking as the slot machine spins. So, I'm curious to see if/how this is affected.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

He doesn't have to do all this. I can confirm it will work and he will finish his line. Voice can't get stopped by sfx on the pinsound board.

That's totally dependant of the cpu calls that are coming into the pinsound board. If you never heard them talking at the same time, it won't happen with the pinsound board.
About simultaneous sounds: totally depends on the situation and where sounds are located. Jingles will mute the music and repeat until the next music call. Singles will stop music or jingles and repeat once. Sfx can be stopped by other sfx (up to three sfx at the same time if I remember correctly... Nicolas?) so the sounds doesn't get muddy. Voice doesn't get stopped by anything as far as I can tell from my experience with terminator, IJ and White Water. Not sure I ever had two voice calls at the same time but I don't think so.

Interesting. That may actually hesitate me from ordering right away, until i can see/hear one in TZ in person.

Mainly because my TZ has been with me for 18 years, and I *expect* how something will sound - i.e. the situation I described above. If that changes, it may make the logical developer/person in me cringe or feel out of place, since... well.. it's not supposed to do that.

#92 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

BTW, that's why my mixes are actually a hd replica because I expect my machine to sound like they do, too. They do now, just better quality... Way better. Get a board. You won't regret it!

Quoted from Endprodukt:

I don't have a TZ but what you described is most likely a technical restriction from the original boards. TZ was supposed to be the first dcs game. Pretty sure that line you mean would finish on the dcs board but couldn't on the old boards because too much was happening at once. So i'd consider the pinsound especially for the TZ as it will sound the way it was supposed to be!

Yup!
With experience with old 'SID' chips and the like, I'm 'familiar' with things getting cut off like that, and am curious how my subconscious would handle something playing more tracks than it should.

Thanks!
-Mike

#95 9 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just to play devil's advocate: How does your subconscious mind deal with looking up and seeing a color DMD? It's not original and completely unexpected for the newcomer. But I suspect that Pinsound and Color DMD are the same in that you'll get used to it really quickly...and wonder how you ever lived without it. If you hate it after a month or so, you can sell it to me...I can't put mine in until I get my Indy back.

I.. uh.. don't have one. And the desire to put on in my TZ is.. ultra-low at the moment.

However, point to you, it's a good one - one I hadn't considered. :mrgeen:

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

Coyote: just tested following your steps, and YES, Rod is not cut and the voice keeps playing.
We intend to let the user configure the max simultaneous channel, to be as close as the original board if wanted.

This would be awesome. Like others have mentioned, I'd probably get used to it, but knowing that it can (could - assuming some FW/upcoming FW change) be put back is nice.

(And the only reason for that long 'example' is because that's the only sure-fire way I know how to make it happen in the game - other than randomly shooting crap. )

#112 9 years ago

Voice wouldn't be that difficult, just costly. There are plenty of voice actors online that will take jobs. The downside is that you would need to have them record ALL of the voices - otherwise the difference (between 'new' and 'original') would be greatly noticed.

#121 9 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

First one to mention the menu sounds. I was wondering what it would sound like if Arnold would do the menu sounds... Haha.

"Enter". "Up" "Up" "Up" "ESCAPE!!!" "GET DOWN!" "GET DOWN!" "GET DO-" "Enter."

And on newer games, where you have the count-down sound to wait or hit the start button, it can be a random - "Hurry Up!" "Go!" "Push It!", and then the saved would be "OK."

That would make me laugh too hard. I'd look for excuses to play around in the menus..

2 weeks later
#191 9 years ago
Quoted from scottrogers:

Only downside is the 1-2 minute boot up time for the board, but it's worth it.

60 to 120 seconds? Holy crap!

2 weeks later
#263 9 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Oh, good!
Can we get more buttons not to push on the next model?

Backlit with rainbow LEDs, too!

5 months later
#420 8 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

Interrupting speech was a matter of limitation with the original sound board. I wouldn't know why anyone wants that. Depending on what sound you want to interrupt, you might be able to set it up by rule.

Like I mentioned in an email about a year ago to the Pinsound guys - "Because that's how the game was originally.".. On some pre-DCS games (like TZ), certain sound-effects used the same channels as voices. I've owned and played that game SO MUCH that if it starts playing both at the same time, it'll set off some kind of 'that's not right, not correct' feeling.

And yeah, it's ALL in the player's (owner's, buyer's, etc.) personal preferences. Unlike other board upgrades (replacement hi-power DMD bits, the +5v reboot fix, etc), this board doesn't offer any technical fixes to game limitations, except sound, which is again, all in the player's preference.

#427 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...but how do you feel about Color DMDs or added shaker motors?

Easy question. Don't like them, unless the game was originally designed for 'em. Don't have any of those in any of my games. (Trick statement, since I ONLY own TZ at this point.)

However, I understand what you're trying to point out, and yes, again, that's why I said it is personal preference only. Color DMD and a shaker motor doesn't fix anything broken, or make anything technology or maintenance-free on the game, it's all for the player's preference.

I LIKE the original sounds, it's what 'I grew up with', and to me, the game doesn't need any remixes or new sounds, etc.

When I have a really bad first or second ball, I'll restart my game as I'm plunging the ball. Rod will start to say 'You have just crossed over into..' and then get cut off by the slot machine noise. Apparently, the pinsound board has more voices, and so doesn't cut him off. No thanks. My current audio board works fine so I don't need to replace a bad / missing board.. and if it doesn't perform *exactly* like the original (added features are fine..!) plus the cost, this is out of my interest range.

(As a side note - referencing cost.. think we could have saved about $15 and NOT had 'light up' trimmer resistors? Was the back-lit controls really necessary, or just some bling? )

#429 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

But you're clearly a traditionalist, and I can certainly respect that!

Honestly, I will admit - it depends on the game. Another game, like WCS, I very may well put in a ColorDMD. (However, it would be low on the priority list, so it would be a whilte before I tried it.)

My TZ, it's gotta be original. (However, I do NOT go so far as to printing out coil wrappers, for gosh sake..!)

Let me know what you do with IJ's original sounds. Always interested in hearing how original mixes do.

9 months later
#768 7 years ago
Quoted from m00dawg:

Been drooling over a Pinsound for my STTNG (I'm listening to a play through in PinSound studio as I type this ). After reading through this post, didn't see a retort for the above, but figured it deserves some attention. Picard is literally interrupting Data here so if it's a limitation of the original sound hardware, in this case, it's a desired one. In the TV series, similar things happen where Data gets cut off and he stops talking (I'd find it rather weird if he didn't).
Has this been fixed since this was last mentioned? Not a deal breaker for me either but it'd be nice to have.

Quoted from Endprodukt:

Why would it be fixed if it's not broke. If they wanted Data to be cut off, they would have programed it that way back in the day. The callouts are complete though. If you want someone to interrupt the other...cut it that way and put it in.

This is why I have no desire to get the board, yet. To me, it's ''natural'' for the sounds to get cut off. I'm old, I grew up with the games that way, that's what I expect. One voice at a time. hearing two voices overlap to me is just too unnatural, and would break my rhythm. (No, no scientific reasoning, just personal preference. )

#772 7 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

There will be stop rules so that one event will stop another if you want it to. It's not documented yet. This board is getting more and more customisable. I had this problem the other way around that a particular event would cutoff sounds. Making a special rule for this helped. But as I said it's not yet documented.

Ah, really really good then!

#778 7 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

I just moved my board over into my DW from STTNG and I'm having sound file/ROM issues.
I've got a couple of customized forum ROMs to play nice. The disco one is especially great, but I also want the original sound.
However, when I try to have the board unpack the zip from ipdb, I get a message from a nice robotic lady about it not having any sound files on the USB drive
Am I missing something obvious or is the ROM file from ipdb somehow broken?
Any ideas?

You can't use a ROM file. You need a ZIP file of the original mix files.

(Reading the original ROM would be a nice feature, but I doubt they could do that, even with it done in MAME, etc.)

1 year later
#1077 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

It's a no-brainer. Support them and save your machines.

I'm still holding back until they at least have a mode to accurately reproduce Pre-DCS boards. i.e. Same # of channels, no overlapping voices, etc.

#1079 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Coyote - what do you mean by "same number of channel"? Pre-DCS games (and I think DCS and WPC95 games) are mono, 1 channel
You are right about the overlaps though- that would definitely be possible in the software

Sorry- I should have used a more familiar term - hardware voices. I.e. 1 CVSD, 1 DAC, etc.

The thing I don't like about the Pinsound, and would make the game sound abnormal would be when voices (actual quotes) start talking over each other. Sure, getting cut off sounds bad, but to me, two talking over each out would be worse. I dunno, I'm old-fashioned.

#1081 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

If the overlapping is a one off (like Picard cutting off Data in STTNG) it can be handled in a rules text file. If it's more widespread then you're right.

Yeah, it's more widespread. It's *everything* in the game. I'm not too familiar with DCS, but with pre-DCS, there's one channel that reproduces voices and some static sounds. So if an audio is playing, and a higher-priority one is commanded to play, the sound OS will kill the one that was playing and immediately start the new one. In SOME cases, having the audiio voice isn't an issue (i.e. Rod Serling talking over the Slot Machine sound effect would be okay. Normally, Rod's voice will get cut off by the slot machine sound effect.) But in some cases - like TZ (for example, since I'm most familiar with that game) playing the 2nd Lock sound ('Don't Touch The Door, Don't Touch The Door') and shooting up to start multiball right away, you'd have two seperate sound bits saying the same thing at just offset time.

In short - I'd like it to *faithfully* reproduce the board it's replacing first, then look into new features.

But I'm not trying to be negative - lemme tell you, some of the remixes I've heard out there are effin' awesome. I'm a tradtionilist, so if I ever need to, I'll just buy the old boards ya'll take out.

7 months later
#1252 6 years ago

So...
Uh..

How do we order one? Really?

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
£ 110.00
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.00
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

17,250 (OBO)
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coyote.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone?tu=Coyote and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.