pasted_image (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 36.
#1651 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

And FWIW it is not worth setting audio files on these games to 32-bit, or to anything higher than 44100 Hz. You might want to do that with a high end stereo system, but in these games ultra high-end audio is indistinguishable from CD quality (16-bit) and just adds additional processor overhead, which could lead to lag in the sounds being played.

Those are just the default settings, so I don't bother taking the time to change them every time (or I've not bothered trying to figure out how to change the defaults). Granted, while it is not discernable on the pin, the hardware is more than capable w/o any noticeable lag or other issues. Lazy, I know.

#1652 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Those are just the default settings, so I don't bother taking the time to change them every time (or I've not bothered trying to figure out how to change the defaults). Granted, while it is not discernable on the pin, the hardware is more than capable w/o any noticeable lag or other issues. Lazy, I know.

Haha, I’m not being critical - but it’s worthwhile to note when there are several games (IJ in particular) which struggle to keep up

#1653 4 years ago

What's the status on the Back to the Future sound package? I heard 6 months ago they were close.

#1654 4 years ago

Is there any way to link tracks? For example, if you have three tracks for ball launch and when the game starts, three corresponding tracks. Is there any way to have them play together when the Pinsound card plays a random track on ball launch (so the corresponding track plays when the game starts)? So you don't have a random order for both the start and finishing tracks. Thanks for the help.

#1655 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Is there any way to link tracks? For example, if you have three tracks for ball launch and when the game starts, three corresponding tracks. Is there any way to have them play together when the Pinsound card plays a random track on ball launch (so the corresponding track plays when the game starts)? So you don't have a random order for both the start and finishing tracks. Thanks for the help.

Not currently, no. You could do different sound sets and just go between them - but it wouldn't be random then

#1656 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not currently, no. You could do different sound sets and just go between them - but it wouldn't be random then

Ok, thanks. What do you mean by different sound sets? Thanks.

#1657 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, thanks. What do you mean by different sound sets? Thanks.

You can load several different sound mixes, and toggle between them by lowering the volume to 0, then each time you hit the "volume down" button, it will switch to a different mix. This is the only way I can think of you could keep the sounds together as you described.

Each sound mix goes into its own folder in the "audio" folder, and each must have the usual structure - "music", "sfx" , "voice" , "jingle". etc

#1658 4 years ago

Anyone with a Tommy, I just finished a Who orchestration for Tommy. The link is below.

Added some original Who songs to JULIEN42's Tommy orchestration. Songs included:

- Who Are You, The Seeker, My Generation, Heaven and Hell, Won't Get Fooled Again, Magic Bus, Behind Blue Eyes, Baby O'Riley, Love Reign Over Me, You Better You Bet, Smash the Mirror, Were Not Going to Take It.

http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/281-the-who-greatest_pinballjah/

#1659 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You can load several different sound mixes, and toggle between them by lowering the volume to 0, then each time you hit the "volume down" button, it will switch to a different mix. This is the only way I can think of you could keep the sounds together as you described.
Each sound mix goes into its own folder in the "audio" folder, and each must have the usual structure - "music", "sfx" , "voice" , "jingle". etc

I don't think I explained what I want to do properly. It is all within one orchestration, not two separate orchestrations. For Tommy, I want to play a music track for Won't get fooled again when the ball is in the trough. When the ball is launched, the game will play a new track and it will be the second half of Won't get fooled again. If I have more than one track in the "Start Game" folder and more than one file in the "Game Launch" folder, is there a way to make sure that the track in each folder play together in order? So track 1 plays with track 1 and not 1 with 2, etc. Thanks.

#1660 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I don't think I explained what I want to do properly. It is all within one orchestration, not two separate orchestrations. For Tommy, I want to play a music track for Won't get fooled again when the ball is in the trough. When the ball is launched, the game will play a new track and it will be the second half of Won't get fooled again. If I have more than one track in the "Start Game" folder and more than one file in the "Game Launch" folder, is there a way to make sure that the track in each folder play together in order? So track 1 plays with track 1 and not 1 with 2, etc. Thanks.

Yes. I totally understood what you are asking. There is currently no way to do this within a single orchestration. Multiple sound files within a sound folder are played at random - they are not able to be related to one another in a “group” at this time

#1661 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Is there any way to link tracks? For example, if you have three tracks for ball launch and when the game starts, three corresponding tracks. Is there any way to have them play together when the Pinsound card plays a random track on ball launch (so the corresponding track plays when the game starts)? So you don't have a random order for both the start and finishing tracks.

I wonder if this could be implemented via the "custom rules" that PinSound used to promote in their firmware update notes.

(I've never read anything about what those "custom rules" are or how you implement them, however, so "custom rules" may mean something entirely different from what I'm envisioning.)

Another "simple" use for some type of custom rules would be to play files from a folder in alpha/numerical order, rather than randomly. Perhaps with some kind of trigger (like after a certain sound is played) to reset the sequence. (Sample use case: the Add Band Member lane in GNR - you could have an individual sound introducing each different band member.)

2 weeks later
#1662 4 years ago

Has anyone had an issue with sfx or vocals when you load more than one orchestration on a USB? They work fine for one orch but not the rest. They are saved in their own folder so I know the sound files are on the USB. Thanks.

#1663 4 years ago

So, wondering if this is possible.

There are some mixes for MB.

Is it possible to have just one song to play for Monsters of Rock?

I looked at files on available mixes but doesn't look like there is a separate MOR file?

I have never done anything with pinsound other than put the board into a game so assume I know nothing.

I was thinking of Queen's 'We Will Rock You' for the Monsters of Rock Wizard mode.

And 'Monster Mash' for getting to Monster Bash.

#1664 4 years ago

Anyone hear anything about actually getting the product? The DE version remains on back order as far as I’m aware. Anyone with any info on this?

Mark

#1665 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Anyone hear anything about actually getting the product? The DE version remains on back order as far as I’m aware. Anyone with any info on this?
Mark

They are shipping now. Any board will work in a DE. It just needs adapters for the screws so it will attached ok. The adapters come free with the board.

#1666 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

So, wondering if this is possible.
There are some mixes for MB.
Is it possible to have just one song to play for Monsters of Rock?
I looked at files on available mixes but doesn't look like there is a separate MOR file?
I have never done anything with pinsound other than put the board into a game so assume I know nothing.
I was thinking of Queen's 'We Will Rock You' for the Monsters of Rock Wizard mode.
And 'Monster Mash' for getting to Monster Bash.

It is pretty easy to change individual songs. Just use Pinsound Studio to swap the music file you want. Then re-install the file on your USB. Takes about 10 minutes once you know what you are doing.

#1667 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

They are shipping now. Any board will work in a DE. It just needs adapters for the screws so it will attached ok. The adapters come free with the board.

Thanks. I'll reach out again and see why mine still shows as a back order

#1668 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Thanks. I'll reach out again and see why mine still shows as a back order

There is only one board type. I use the same board in my Williams and Data East. Usually they give a free headphone station when out of stock $50US value.

#1669 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

There is only one board type. I use the same board in my Williams and Data East. Usually they give a free headphone station when out of stock $50US value.

The board is identical but the DE packages include the mounting pieces AND the stereo cable. Perhaps they are out of those

#1670 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The board is identical but the DE packages include the mounting pieces AND the stereo cable. Perhaps they are out of those

Ah! My mistake for not clarifying. I’m speaking of the shaker setup. I’ve long owned the Pinsound plus board, which is great.

I think they still await more boards for the shaker bundle. I just wondered if people were currently receiving their shaker orders - signaling the resumption of order fulfillment.

Thanks

#1671 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Ah! My mistake for not clarifying. I’m speaking of the shaker setup. I’ve long owned the Pinsound plus board, which is great.
I think they still await more boards for the shaker bundle. I just wondered if people were currently receiving their shaker orders - signaling the resumption of order fulfillment.
Thanks

Gotcha, copy that! The shakers should be identical, yes

#1672 4 years ago

Is there a Mac version for Pinsound studio?

And any instructions for using it, that might make sense to someone who has never done it?

Would like to do a David Bowie AFM mix, but right now it is looking unlikely.

#1673 4 years ago

Is there a Mac version for Pinsound studio?
And any instructions for using it, that might make sense to someone who has never done it?
Would like to do a David Bowie AFM mix, but right now it is looking unlikely.

No, there is no MAC version. I have a fairly detailed guide, but with the new PinSound Studio Pro it is somewhat obsolete since the new version does not allow for game playback yet. Even so, if interested you can read here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

#1674 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No, there is no MAC version. I have a fairly detailed guide, but with the new PinSound Studio Pro it is somewhat obsolete since the new version does not allow for game playback yet. Even so, if interested you can read here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

Thanks - so with the new version, it's harder to make our own sound packages?

I think pinsound would sell way more boards if it were clearer and easier to make custom packages.

Many games have none uploaded.

I also want to do a fun FT one.

The main reason I want a HS2 again is because there are so many custom sound packages

#1675 4 years ago

Personally, I don't really use PinSound Studio to do my orchestrations except for one thing: game playback/simulation. You do all of your sound editing outside of that tool (see my guide - Audacity is your best friend for capturing and creating custom music/fx/etc.), but the one thing for me that was very useful was the game simulation. This helps me listed to my sound events for timing, loudness, etc. within the context of a game without having to run back and forth to the real pin to test.

The issue at this point is that the brothers can only do so much at once. They are in the middle of releasing their shakers and need programs developed for pins (I did the one for Getaway). In order to program the shaker, they had to come up with a new process and new software (i.e. PinSound Studio Pro). I'm sure that once things settle down then they will have time to add the playback feature into the new version, but only so many hours in the day, so to speak.

While you don't really need the tool to do a custom sound package, you do need it to do a shakerization. The new PSSP is awesome at doing this. It makes things very simple, and you can literally do a shaker routine in less that 5 minutes. Now, you'll spend much longer than that trying it on the real pin and making adjustments, but getting something basic done is quite simple and quick. The good news is that PinSound will actually include default shaker routines for games already done by community members. In this case you don't have to do anything to have the shaker work, or you could tweak the existing routine to your liking.

#1676 4 years ago

As a novice I noticed you can download other custom versions and just copy songs, and then put them into another package.

They are the files that are .ogg.

No idea what that means.

Is it possible to make .ogg music files some other way then?

If I had a lot of Bowie .ogg files, I could drop them into an existing AFM download and just go by trial and error?

Thanks!

#1677 4 years ago

As a novice I noticed you can download other custom versions and just copy songs, and then put them into another package.
They are the files that are .ogg.
No idea what that means.
Is it possible to make .ogg music files some other way then?
If I had a lot of Bowie .ogg files, I could drop them into an existing AFM download and just go by trial and error?
Thanks!

Audacity is free and easy to convert to ogg files. Pinsound will work with other sound formats as well.

#1678 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Audacity is free and easy to convert to ogg files. Pinsound will work with other sound formats as well.

Great - Don't need anything else then?

I swapped a few song files but it didn't work when I added a .wav in a custom version that had all .ogg files, so guess you have to use one or the other?

I will do some reading about Audacity.

#1679 4 years ago

I swapped a few song files but it didn't work when I added a .wav in a custom version that had all .ogg files, so guess you have to use one or the other?

I don't think so, I have seen some mixes with both formats. Audacity you just load the file and then save it in the new format. Very straight forward. I use it to edit all of my music and sounds for the orchestrations I do.

#1680 4 years ago

No, you can get it all done with Audacity. A few pointers are that you want all of our sounds to be of similar amplitude. You want the lighter center of the curve to be between about +/- 3 or so. Also, you need to read my guide regarding pseudo stereo plugin for Audacity. I convert all mono sounds to stereo using this. There are settings you'll want to play with so as not to create an echo effect.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1681 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No, you can get it all done with Audacity. A few pointers are that you want all of our sounds to be of similar amplitude. You want the lighter center of the curve to be between about +/- 3 or so. Also, you need to read my guide regarding pseudo stereo plugin for Audacity. I convert all mono sounds to stereo using this. There are settings you'll want to play with so as not to create an echo effect.[quoted image]

I will start reading your guide.

One quick question.

Noticed in various sound packages, sometimes there are more than one song/file.

So, attract sounds may have 6 songs or one.

Does this mean they somehow rotate in the game??

So, if you put 2 songs in a wizard mode, the game would alternate the songs?

#1682 4 years ago

If you have more than one sound file in a folder then they will randomly play (no way to control order).

You may have multiple folders with the same name. What is important is the number as this is what is keyed from. The names are whatever the person who extracted the file designated them as, and often they are inaccurate. However, they may be accurate, but called at different times by a game.

1 week later
#1683 4 years ago

New speakers and PS+ board installed in my TZ. Installation was *so* fast and easy. The Granner DCS music is such a delight. I have some things I want to change/improve someday (jackpot sound is differentfrom what I'm used to, I'm attached to the original jackpot theme, and the fast lock music timing is wrong) but overall a worthy upgrade!

2 weeks later
#1684 4 years ago

Anyone have issues with multiple orchestrations on one USB? Some of the sfx/vocal tracks only work on one of the orchestrations, not all. Just wondering if others have come across this. Thanks.

#1685 4 years ago

I have 7 or 8 on my Getaway and 2 on my Jurassic Park, and have never had such an issue (using PinSound 1). Are all of your orchestrations in the new convention or do you have a mix? If you haven't already done so, I would suggest updating to the latest firmware and ensuring all orchestrations follow the new convention.

#1686 4 years ago

I think I might be having the same problem. Indiana Jones only seems to work with the 1 endproduckt mix. When I try and put a 2nd one on thing go haywire.

#1687 4 years ago

I have 3 on my STTNG with no problems. But I KNOW my mixes are formatted properly.

#1688 4 years ago

Anyone have PinSound installed on No Fear? Played one at Allentown with a heavy metal mix and a shaker, and it was AWESOME!! Made me want to buy a No Fear!

#1689 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I have 3 on my STTNG with no problems. But I KNOW my mixes are formatted properly.

They are all in a single audio folder, then each mix folder, then the sound folders for each mix.

#1690 4 years ago

Does anybody have a good idea of how long the first initial audio conversion takes? I just got my board today. It is playing some background music and keeps saying "performing audio conversion" but I'm going on 45 min now. Shall I keep waiting? I'm doing this on a DE Hook. Thanks for the insight!

#1691 4 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Does anybody have a good idea of how long the first initial audio conversion takes? I just got my board today. It is playing some background music and keeps saying "performing audio conversion" but I'm going on 45 min now. Shall I keep waiting? I'm doing this on a DE Hook. Thanks for the insight!

Yes it’s a long wait but only once. If you don’t wait you will have sounds/music that wont work.

Mike

#1692 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

They are all in a single audio folder, then each mix folder, then the sound folders for each mix.

I don’t just mean the folder structure. I mean the file names and also the audio format. Did it install the first time you put the mixes on the usb? Should take a LONG time. Easily 20-30 mins installation/conversion per mix.

#1693 4 years ago
Quoted from jag8511:

Make sure card is updated with latest software.

#1694 4 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I don’t just mean the folder structure. I mean the file names and also the audio format. Did it install the first time you put the mixes on the usb? Should take a LONG time. Easily 20-30 mins installation/conversion per mix.

Not sure about your card, but new mixes take a couple minutes to load on my card.

#1695 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Not sure about your card, but new mixes take a couple minutes to load on my card.

maybe that’s your problem then. It’s not completing the installation/conversion.

1 month later
#1696 4 years ago

Just throwing my hat in here for the OUTSTANDING support from PinSound on my PinSound+ board. The stock DM sound files were all messed up with looping fanfares (computer and car chase) which made the game unbearable. I provided the PinSound team a few diagnostic files and they've now fixed and updated the DM stock sound files. You're welcome!

1 week later
#1697 4 years ago

Anybody know how to create or edit a config.pinsound file? Seems like this is missing on my set of files.

#1698 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Anybody know how to create or edit a config.pinsound file? Seems like this is missing on my set of files.

Import your sound files using Pinsound studio and have the software write the files tk your USB drive. Or install the board and files manually; I think the board automatically creates the file.
Definitely
Pinsound studio does

#1699 4 years ago
Quoted from wolfemaaan:

This file should be in the parent folder of each orchestration (eg USB-ROOT/GetawayOrchestration1/config.pinsound)

It is included with each orchestration and part of the new naming convention format. It is a non editable file that contains sound reference and shaker instruction for a given orchestration.

Also, you cannot just create one. Download the default orchestration from PinSound for your game and it will have this file (if it has been some time since you last did this, you have the old version but it has been updated to new format on the site). From here you can modify orchestration how you choose and use the new PinSound Studio Pro to create a shakerization. When doing so, the config.pinsound file will be automatically updated.

#1700 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

This file should be in the parent folder of each orchestration (eg USB-ROOT/GetawayOrchestration1/config.pinsound)
It is included with each orchestration and part of the new naming convention format. It is a non editable file that contains sound reference and shaker instruction for a given orchestration.
Also, you cannot just create one. Download the default orchestration from PinSound for your game and it will have this file (if it has been some time since you last did this, you have the old version but it has been updated to new format on the site). From here you can modify orchestration how you choose and use the new PinSound Studio Pro to create a shakerization. When doing so, the config.pinsound file will be automatically updated.

Ok thanks. The concern I have is it appears all the files listed (IE Indiana Jones) have vast differences in folder sctructure names. I read the Pinsound info on folder names and it says everything before the dash needs to be the same, but that isn’t the case in the files I’ve downloaded

I’ll go ahead and grab the default config.pinsound file and drop it into the reorchestrated set I currently have and let you know my findings

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 14.95
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 6.00
Lighting - Led
Arcade Upkeep

Lighting - Led
TheDudeMods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 45.95
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.