pasted_image (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 36.
#1501 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just finished upgrading my Jurassic Park speakers from original to the PinSound ones for Data East. I must say that I'm very satisfied with the upgrade. For the cabinet speaker, the bass is much deeper and handles volume significantly better. The backbox speakers clearly have a better frequency range, provide a richer sound, and the sound effects are clearly more distinguishable. The PinSound speakers are at least 5x heavier than the original speakers, and clearly better built, and perform noticeably better. Overall a great upgrade and I'm enjoying the results. I still need to install the headphone interface, but I'm done for the day working on pins
[quoted image][quoted image]

Is there a soft dome tweeter on these? Or is it the regular plastic ones?

#1502 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

I don't remember (I think it is soft), but will have to take a speaker off to look. I can try to do this over the weekend sometime if you are on the fence of purchasing them.

#1503 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I don't remember (I think it is soft), but will have to take a speaker off to look. I can try to do this over the weekend sometime if you are on the fence of purchasing them.

Thank you!

#1504 5 years ago

Just finished installing my first PinSound Headphone Station (installed on PinSound 1 with adapter) on to my Jurassic Park, and it is great! Cool thing about it is that it can be used to control speaker volume when headphones are not plugged in. Very good for me because I am needing to replace the volume potentiometer which is almost completely shot (you can either set it to full blast or full blast static sound). With the headphone station you disconnect the volume control from the pin to the PinSound, so now you can control volume w/o having to open the coin door (good for me, maybe not so good if you have small kids in the house).

Also, the standard 2.25" leg bolts that were on my JP were not long enough since I have leg protectors (the stock bolts would have worked without leg protectors installed). I had to swap with a couple of 2.5" bolts from my Getaway for the time being until I can buy some new ones for JP.
IMG_1952.JPGIMG_1952.JPG

1 week later
#1505 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

Here is a pic - they look soft to me.

47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
#1506 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

[quoted image]

Really nice! That's a sign of quality for sure!

#1507 5 years ago

Whats the status on the Back to The Future sound package?

#1508 5 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Whats the status on the Back to The Future sound package?

We are looking for beta testers
send me an email: [email protected], I'll add you to the list

#1509 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

[quoted image]

The speakers are very high quality - if I’m not mistaken they are soft tweeters and Kevlar comes. They sound A-MAZING

#1510 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The speakers are very high quality - if I’m not mistaken they are soft tweeters and Kevlar comes. They sound A-MAZING

I have definitely been impressed with their quality and sound on my Jurassic Park. Significantly better than original, and much better than the budget Pyle speakers I put on my Getaway a couple of years ago.

#1511 5 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

We are looking for beta testers
send me an email: [email protected], I'll add you to the list

Thanks,
Email sent

#1512 5 years ago

I need instructions on how to hook this up to a WPC95 game. I believe I have all the extra cables already. The instruction card from Pinsound really does not should how to exactly wire this board up. I can do it both ways, either with the AV board or with a wpc89 dmd controller.

#1513 5 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Thanks,
Email sent

I've not received your email, IDK why.
Send me a PM with your email

#1514 5 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I need instructions on how to hook this up to a WPC95 game. I believe I have all the extra cables already. The instruction card from Pinsound really does not should how to exactly wire this board up. I can do it both ways, either with the AV board or with a wpc89 dmd controller.

Wish granted, here is the complete video tutorial for a WPC95 setup:

The installation manual for WPC95 is available here:
https://www.pinsound.org/help/wpc95-help/

And for information, all the video tutorials are available here:
https://www.pinsound.org/help/installation-videos/

#1515 5 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

Wish granted, here is the complete video tutorial for a WPC95 setup:
The installation manual for WPC95 is available here:
https://www.pinsound.org/help/wpc95-help/
And for information, all the video tutorials are available here:
https://www.pinsound.org/help/installation-videos/

Great instructional video. It looks like you've done that a few times before

#1516 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Great instructional video. It looks like you've done that a few times before

thanks!
I should try blindfolded :p

2 weeks later
#1517 4 years ago

After a LONG stint in storage, I finally put a PinSound 1 I had bought as a mod in. Impressive in mono, but laggy (until I upgraded to USB 3.

So I figured I’d go to the next level, cooked up my own 2.1 harness, switched to mono and tried out some mixes again, funny the audio was significantly lower in volume and no where near as bassy. (Stock speakers for the moment).

I’m wondering if I did something wrong or if this is expected?

#1518 4 years ago
Quoted from websherpa:

After a LONG stint in storage, I finally put a PinSound 1 I had bought as a mod in. Impressive in mono, but laggy (until I upgraded to USB 3.
So I figured I’d go to the next level, cooked up my own 2.1 harness, switched to mono and tried out some mixes again, funny the audio was significantly lower in volume and no where near as bassy. (Stock speakers for the moment).

Why would you swap to mono after implementing a "stereo 2.1" harness...?

#1519 4 years ago
Quoted from websherpa:

I think you meant switched to stereo, right? Anyway, have you verified all polarities on your speakers? The new stereo setup will require some changing with all of the PinSound controls on the board for bass, treble, balance, fade, etc., but I'm surprised there was that large of a difference.

#1520 4 years ago

Just added a PinSound Headphones Station to the PinSound 1 on my Getaway, and love it! Even if you don't have a need for headphones, the ability to use the PSHS as an external volume control and orchestration changer makes it worth getting one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-club-dispatch-run-a-make-on-license-plate-kingpin/page/187#post-4968820

#1521 4 years ago

Didn't even know this thread existed -- I added a pinsound+ along with the pinsound speaker/sub kit to my Jurassic Park and I f'ing love this thing.

I actually really dug the original audio for the game, but the pinsound (along with the games mix) is a whole other level of fun - I would whole heartedly recommend this item.

#1522 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just finished installing my first PinSound Headphone Station (installed on PinSound 1 with adapter) on to my Jurassic Park, and it is great! Cool thing about it is that it can be used to control speaker volume when headphones are not plugged in. Very good for me because I am needing to replace the volume potentiometer which is almost completely shot (you can either set it to full blast or full blast static sound). With the headphone station you disconnect the volume control from the pin to the PinSound, so now you can control volume w/o having to open the coin door (good for me, maybe not so good if you have small kids in the house).
Also, the standard 2.25" leg bolts that were on my JP were not long enough since I have leg protectors (the stock bolts would have worked without leg protectors installed). I had to swap with a couple of 2.5" bolts from my Getaway for the time being until I can buy some new ones for JP.
[quoted image]

Mr_Tantrum -- outta curiosity, how did you thread the headphone wire through to the head box? did you drill a hole in the cabinet?

Also - you mentioned that you had to disconnect the volume control from the pin to the pinsound board -- is this required for headphone jack install?

#1523 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

mr_tantrum -- outta curiosity, how did you thread the headphone wire through to the head box? did you drill a hole in the cabinet?
Also - you mentioned that you had to disconnect the volume control from the pin to the pinsound board -- is this required for headphone jack install?

Mr_Tantrum -- apologies, I just found the installation instructions

#1524 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnJN:

mr_tantrum -- outta curiosity, how did you thread the headphone wire through to the head box? did you drill a hole in the cabinet?

Glad you found instructions. As far as the backbox goes, I routed cable up the back then through one if the vent holes at top. Just had to pry metal grate open from inside with a screwdriver.

#1525 4 years ago

New instruction videos are great!

Only question is regarding sticky tape on the 4 feet.

How difficult is it to re-use the boards as would like to experiment in different games possibly?

#1526 4 years ago

I just bought a game with a pinsound plus in it. Is there a doc showing the pinout for the stereo cable so I can make one?

#1527 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

I just bought a game with a pinsound plus in it. Is there a doc showing the pinout for the stereo cable so I can make one?

You can download them off of the Pinsound website.

#1528 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Glad you found instructions. As far as the backbox goes, I routed cable up the back then through one if the vent holes at top. Just had to pry metal grate open from inside with a screwdriver.

This is exactly what I did on a game that I installed a Pinsound board in. Works great and your not modifying the cabinet.

#1529 4 years ago

My GnR came with a Pinsound 1 and I recently installed the new Pinsound board in my Getaway. I find the sound in the GnR is much better. Both have Flipper Fidelity speakers. Anyone notice a big difference in sound quality between games? GnR is a widebody. Thanks.

#1530 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

My GnR came with a Pinsound 1 and I recently installed the new Pinsound board in my Getaway. I find the sound in the GnR is much better. Both have Flipper Fidelity speakers. Anyone notice a big difference in sound quality between games? GnR is a widebody. Thanks.

Well, Guns N' Roses does kick ZZ Top's ass any day of the week.

But it depends on the quality of the mix you're running in each. If you're using a crap mix, it'll be brighter and clearer, but still crap.

#1531 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I would say different games require different tweaking of the physical PinSound potentiometers. I would think that as long as power to the board was good, and speakers were wired for stereo with polarity correct, quality should be fairly equal across all titles given comparable orchestrations. I have a Getaway (Williams) and a Jurassic Park (Data East), two very different orchestrations - HS2 is various music themed while JP is movie themed. However, I would say that the sound quality is nearly even on them with the slight edge going to JP due to the better PinSound speakers I have installed verses the lower quality Pyle speakers on the Getaway.

#1532 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Well, Guns N' Roses does kick ZZ Top's ass any day of the week.
But it depends on the quality of the mix you're running in each. If you're using a crap mix, it'll be brighter and clearer, but still crap.

I hope the quality is comparable as I did both of the mixes

#1533 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I would say different games require different tweaking of the physical PinSound potentiometers. I would think that as long as power to the board was good, and speakers were wired for stereo with polarity correct, quality should be fairly equal across all titles given comparable orchestrations. I have a Getaway (Williams) and a Jurassic Park (Data East), two very different orchestrations - HS2 is various music themed while JP is movie themed. However, I would say that the sound quality is nearly even on them with the slight edge going to JP due to the better PinSound speakers I have installed verses the lower quality Pyle speakers on the Getaway.

I will have to find someone local who can have a look at my set up and see if they can figure it out. I have tried different settings on the Getaway but still doesn't compare in terms of stereo sound. It could be a power issue maybe as when I turn the speakers up loud I get distortion. Do you run a different power source on your Getaway? Thanks.

#1534 4 years ago

It couldn't be the USB? Does that impact the quality of the sound from the Pinsound card?

#1535 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

I will have to find someone local who can have a look at my set up and see if they can figure it out. I have tried different settings on the Getaway but still doesn't compare in terms of stereo sound. It could be a power issue maybe as when I turn the speakers up loud I get distortion. Do you run a different power source on your Getaway? Thanks.

No, I don't. As long as you're getting 5V to the PS board, you should be good. I believe there is a guide somewhere on their website on how to check voltage to the board.

#1536 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

It couldn't be the USB? Does that impact the quality of the sound from the Pinsound card?

No, that just stores the files. One test you could do is to copy some of the songs you currently have in your Getaway mix into songs on your GNR. If the songs sound good there then you know it's not your files, but something local to the Getaway. Also, a real pain, but you could always swap PinSound boards between machines and see if the issue stays with the original pin or moves with the PinSound.

Finally, a simple thing to try is to disconnect all cables to the PinSound and reconnect them (be sure to also reconnect all ribbon cables at the other end too).

#1537 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

No, that just stores the files. One test you could do is to copy some of the songs you currently have in your Getaway mix into songs on your GNR. If the songs sound good there then you know it's not your files, but something local to the Getaway. Also, a real pain, but you could always swap PinSound boards between machines and see if the issue stays with the original pin or moves with the PinSound.
Finally, a simple thing to try is to disconnect all cables to the PinSound and reconnect them (be sure to also reconnect all ribbon cables at the other end too).

Ok, thanks for the tips. It seems to be intermittent. Some times the songs are very low and you can hardly hear them in the background (over the f/x and jingles). Other times, the music plays a lot louderand better quality. Also, when the Pinsound board is warming up, you cannot hear any ping sounds (is this specific to the Pinsound 1 board only?). When it plays the Pinsound intro music when it is loaded, it is also very low volume and you can't hear the base speaker. On my GnR, when it is fully warmed up, you can really hear it.

#1538 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Ok, thanks for the tips. It seems to be intermittent. Some times the songs are very low and you can hardly hear them in the background (over the f/x and jingles). Other times, the music plays a lot louderand better quality. Also, when the Pinsound board is warming up, you cannot hear any ping sounds (is this specific to the Pinsound 1 board only?). When it plays the Pinsound intro music when it is loaded, it is also very low volume and you can't hear the base speaker. On my GnR, when it is fully warmed up, you can really hear it.

You may want to check if you are on the latest firmware - what you are describing sounds like early PinSound 1 firmware. If you want to upgrade to a PinSound+ - for serious, I will buy one and ship it to you if you send me your PinSound 1.

#1539 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

If you want to upgrade to a PinSound+ - for serious, I will buy one and ship it to you if you send me your PinSound 1.

Do you prefer the 1 over the plus for some reason?

#1540 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

For some reason pinsound+ does not enable the cabinet speaker during the intro playback. I've been quite frustrated about that myself, making a cool bass heavy game intro doesn't sound bass heavy and cool at all...

#1541 4 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

i guess there is some shacker feature in the 1 and not in the + version?

i stand corrected if i`m wrong......

#1542 4 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

There are a number of changes in the plus that I don't like. Nothing major that would matter to most people. The plus is a bit faster so that part is definitely better

#1543 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

There are a number of changes in the plus that I don't like. Nothing major that would matter to most people. The plus is a bit faster so that part is definitely better

Yes, it triggers the sounds a lot faster, a great improvement I think!

#1544 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

Yes, it triggers the sounds a lot faster, a great improvement I think!

the original USB drives shipped with the pinsound 1 are REALLY slow. updating to a faster USB drive is a significant improvement - same performance as PS+, but easier to dial in bass/treble discretely, and line out port

#1545 4 years ago

Came across an issue and wanted to see how common it is. After the game is finished, an ‘Attract’ song is played and it is faded out accordingly. When I start the next game, the music is extremely low but all the other effects sfx, vocals, etc) play at normal volume. When the game ends, and I start another game right away, all the sounds play normally. It only seems to happen when the Attract song plays to the end. I asked another member about this and they had the same issue before.

Is this a known problem and is there a way to resolve it? I will do a video to show the problem. Thanks.

#1546 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Came across an issue and wanted to see how common it is. After the game is finished, an ‘Attract’ song is played and it is faded out accordingly. When I start the next game, the music is extremely low but all the other effects sfx, vocals, etc) play at normal volume. When the game ends, and I start another game right away, all the sounds play normally. It only seems to happen when the Attract song plays to the end. I asked another member about this and they had the same issue before.
Is this a known problem and is there a way to resolve it? I will do a video to show the problem. Thanks.

I don't have this issue on Getaway. Yes, please post a short vid.

#1547 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

the original USB drives shipped with the pinsound 1 are REALLY slow. updating to a faster USB drive is a significant improvement - same performance as PS+, but easier to dial in bass/treble discretely, and line out port

It's not the same performance I'm afraid.. According to Nicolas It's a totally new design and a lot of programming, blood, sweat and tears has been put into the effort to achieve that trigger response.

I have never had any issues with usb speed on any of my installations, but hey, those really cheap usb sticks can be really unstable.

#1548 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

It's not the same performance I'm afraid.. According to Nicolas It's a totally new design and a lot of programming, blood, sweat and tears has been put into the effort to achieve that trigger response.
I have never had any issues with usb speed on any of my installations, but hey, those really cheap usb sticks can be really unstable.

I'm sure the redesign was painful; but what matters is whether or not the sounds are
Playing at the right time, yes?

#1549 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm sure the redesign was painful; but what matters is whether or not the sounds are
Playing at the right time, yes?

Oh yes, definitely.

#1550 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I don't have this issue on Getaway. Yes, please post a short vid.

I just played my neighbors Getaway. His Pinsound board has about 15 different mixes for Getaway. Some of the mixes have a lower volume voice track than some of the other mixes. This is due to how the mixes were setup from the person who did that particular mix. You can always modify a mix on the Pinsound board.

There was no fading issues with the sound, however. Anyone who owns a Getaway needs a PinSound board. It's the best mod you can do on a Getaway.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

14,000 (OBO)
$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone/page/31?hl=hazzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.