pasted_image (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 36.
#1451 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

The original Pinsound board has separated volume knob for cabinet and backbox volume. On Pinsound Plus, how can I adjust the volume balance between backbox and cabinet?
Seems this feature is gone... Or am I missed something?

Sub Booster directly affects the cab woofer volume; Sub Bass adds bass to overall mix. I have no idea why they changed this, it is way more confusing

#1452 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Sub Booster directly affects the cab woofer volume; Sub Bass adds bass to overall mix. I have no idea why they changed this, it is way more confusing

It is! On top of that, I can't adjust the bass/medium/treble separately for cabinet and backbox. In Pinsound 1, this is possible, to reach the best sound based on your speakers and cabinet characteristics. Is this gone in Plus?

#1453 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

I believe the subbass pot is the cabinet volume.

It is doing something, but not 100% clear what is the best way to adjust EQ and volume separately for cabinet and backbox.

#1454 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

It is doing something, but not 100% clear what is the best way to adjust EQ and volume separately for cabinet and backbox.

Here are Pinsound 1 settings.

38385E81-8AA9-4757-B527-17DE139EAB73.png38385E81-8AA9-4757-B527-17DE139EAB73.png
#1455 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Here are Pinsound 1 settings.
[quoted image]

Thanks, but how this image helps to setup Pinside Plus board volumes and EQ for cab and backbox separately?

#1456 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Thanks, but how this image helps to setup Pinside Plus board volumes and EQ for cab and backbox separately?

Sorry, I thought I read someone asking how Pinsound 1 did it (this is the version I currently own). I just posted the image to show that it has 7 controls and what each is. The Pinsound 1 has separate controls for backbox speakers and cabinet speaker (volume, bass, treble for each plus balance for the backbox speakers).

#1457 5 years ago

On the PinSound+, the equalizer is now fully digital, that's why.

#1458 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

From what I can tell how the new Pinsound+ works, it appears you would use the pin's volume controls to set the overall desired volume, utilize the Sub Booster to then set the volume of the cabinet speaker (i.e. Sub Woofer) relative to the backbox speakers, then adjust the sub bass/eq bass/eq medium/eq treble controls to your liking.

Would seem you have all of the control available to you as in PS1 minus the sub treble (don't really think that was necessary anyway for the sub woofer/cabinet speaker), plus you now have a mid-range adjustment that you didn't have before.

Anyway, I'll let those who actually own a Pinsound+ chime in, but just going by what I could determine from what I've seen and read.

#1459 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Sub Booster directly affects the cab woofer volume;

Sub Bass adds bass to overall mix, both can and backbox

Repost; guys please read ^^^

#1460 5 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

On the PinSound+, the equalizer is now fully digital, that's why.

Understood. What does it mean in terms of setup? How I can set the desired EQ for cab and backbox separately?

#1461 5 years ago

I'm thinking about getting my first PinSound board. I just found out they are close to getting the BTTF software ready to test. I figured I would put the board in my Frankenstein while I wait for BTTF.

Does anybody have a recommendation of a cheaper option for replacing the speakers? I don't want to buy a kit from the usual guys. I already have a Polk self powered sub, so I would just need to replace the backbox speakers. What about Parts Express?

Thanks,
Rich

#1462 5 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I'm thinking about getting my first PinSound board. I just found out they are close to getting the BTTF software ready to test. I figured I would put the board in my Frankenstein while I wait for BTTF.
Does anybody have a recommendation of a cheaper option for replacing the speakers? I don't want to buy a kit from the usual guys. I already have a Polk self powered sub, so I would just need to replace the backbox speakers. What about Parts Express?
Thanks,
Rich

FWIW I wouldn't bother. D/E games have pretty good speakers as it is. The cabinet woofer is the real dog. You can get some halfway decent 4" 2-way or 3-way speakers from partsexpress but you'll barely notice the difference.

#1463 5 years ago

Thanks,
Rich

I would visually inspect your speakers first, and probably only replace them if they are damaged. On my Getaway, they were trashed (along with the cabinet speaker) with the cones either have significant tears in them or being partially/fully separated from the speaker housing. Therefore, I upgraded to these: https://www.parts-express.com/pyle-pl53bl-blue-label-5-1-4-triaxial-speaker-pair--267-080 which were a low-cost great improvement. On the other hand, I've heard a PinSound in a DE pin with original speakers that were still in tact, and the sound was terrific with no need to replace them. I can't speak to whether or not these specific ones will fit in your pins, but should be easily determined based upon size and specs.

#1464 5 years ago

Thanks,
Rich

I put these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000230LBI/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title in a DESW and Lethal Weapon 3. One has a Pinsound, one doesn't. Speakers sound great in both, and they were only $15. The originals were intact but I figured what the hell.

#1465 5 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm about to order from K's Arcade. I figured it would be faster then ordering from PinSound. I'm new to the PinSound boards so I hope this is not a stupid question. Do I need to get the 2.1 stereo kit? I thought the board was already in stereo?

Thanks
Rich

#1466 5 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm about to order from K's Arcade. I figured it would be faster then ordering from PinSound. I'm new to the PinSound boards so I hope this is not a stupid question. Do I need to get the 2.1 stereo kit? I thought the board was already in stereo?
Thanks
Rich

No - not for a D/E game. For WPC you need it. And make sure you order a FAST USB stick (separately) from Amazon. On some of the larger/deeper sound mixes, (mostly Indiana Jones from my experience), you need a fast one to load the multitude of sounds -

this one should work:

https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Extreme-Type-Flash-Drive/dp/B01NARBPI7/

FWIW Pinsound does ship pretty fast - it is a bit of a hassle if your bank won't let you order overseas. Make sure K's has stock - sometimes they go OOS and then you're just waiting when you could have ordered direct.

#1467 5 years ago

Thanks for the help. Also thanks for the link. I'm curious, without the 2.1 kit would my sound be in mono?

Rich

#1468 5 years ago

Thanks for the help. Also thanks for the link. I'm curious, without the 2.1 kit would my sound be in mono?
Rich

Rich

Crap, you know what - I am wrong. You don’t need the stereo harness after all. I forgot D/E games are already wired appropriately for the PinSound board. Sorry! Most of my installs are WPC89 and 95

#1469 5 years ago

Will a PinSound ever be developed for S.A.M? Or is it just too difficult with what or what they don’t have to work with?

#1470 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Will a PinSound ever be developed for S.A.M? Or is it just too difficult with what or what they don’t have to work with?

I believe the later Stern stuff is difficult to work with since it’s all 1 board. Takes a lot of trial and error; they got Whitestar working so it may happen, but unlikely

#1471 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Crap, you know what - I am wrong. You don’t need the stereo harness after all. I forgot D/E games are already wired appropriately for the PinSound board. Sorry! Most of my installs are WPC89 and 95

Actually I'm going to be putting the board in a Sega Frankenstein first.

#1472 5 years ago

Stock DE speakers are the worst to ever exist on this planet! If you are buying a pinsound board replace them with even the cheapest 4" car speaker and the sound will improve drastically!

Sorry to step on feet, but I almost got a heart attack reading DE speakers are decent...

I actually had a ritual with my stock DE speakers involving a hammer, flamethrower and napalm.

#1473 5 years ago

Actually I'm going to be putting the board in a Sega Frankenstein first.

I believe you will keep it in your Frankenstein after loading up my latest pinsound mix

Now where's the emoticon for overconfident?

#1474 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Understood. What does it mean in terms of setup? How I can set the desired EQ for cab and backbox separately?

What I usually do when I install a PinSound+: I launch a test music to hear how it sounds, then I equalize with the 3 upper bands (bass / medium / treble) to get the best possible sound from the 2 backbox speakers. Then, I adjust the sub-bass potentiometer to get the maximum without any saturation from the backbox speakers. And after that, I adjust the sub-booster, to the desired volume for the cabinet subwoofer. Some people love when you have a lot of bass, it depends on the sound package too.

#1475 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Working on it, not ready though...

#1476 5 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

Working on it, not ready though...

Something something shaker kit something something

#1477 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

I believe you will keep it in your Frankenstein after loading up my latest pinsound mix
Now where's the emoticon for overconfident?

Your youtube video is what convinced me to buy one! Great job! My board will get here on Thursday and I will be downloading your mix right away.

Thanks,
Rich

#1478 5 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Something something shaker kit something something

:/

I’m a huge PinSound supporter, have been for Years (8 boards and counting, plus countless supportive posts here), And even I have to admit it’s been what 2 1/2 years? Come on !

#1479 5 years ago

Your youtube video is what convinced me to buy one! Great job! My board will get here on Thursday and I will be downloading your mix right away.
Thanks,
Rich

Thanks Rick, it means a lot! Enjoy

#1480 5 years ago

Digital Equalizer, sort of Bullshit!!!

#1481 5 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

What I usually do when I install a PinSound+: I launch a test music to hear how it sounds, then I equalize with the 3 upper bands (bass / medium / treble) to get the best possible sound from the 2 backbox speakers. Then, I adjust the sub-bass potentiometer to get the maximum without any saturation from the backbox speakers. And after that, I adjust the sub-booster, to the desired volume for the cabinet subwoofer. Some people love when you have a lot of bass, it depends on the sound package too.

Based on this, it seems I lost the ability to setup backbox/cabinet bass/medium mix - separately. The keyword is separately. I really don't understand why you have eliminated this from a sound board. Or is there a way to adjust it via software?

#1482 5 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Digital Equalizer, sort of Bullshit!!!

Personally, I love the extended EQ possibilities to get rid of those nasty upper mid frequencies, and scoop out the boomy stuff since a backbox is really not the ideal speaker enclosure.

#1483 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

Personally, I love the extended EQ possibilities to get rid of those nasty upper mid frequencies, and scoop out the boomy stuff since a backbox is really not the ideal speaker enclosure.

Where do you see extended EQ possibilities compared to Pinsound 1?

#1484 5 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

Where do you see extended EQ possibilities compared to Pinsound 1?

That would be the eq medium.

#1485 5 years ago

am curious if there has been any thought to designing a version of this board for solid state bally of the 80's....

#1486 5 years ago

Just for clarity - can I buy PinSound+ for my TAF and have exactly the same music and sounds as the standard machine?

I don't want remixes or "reimaginings", I get that some people enjoy that but I consider it sacrilegious

I get that it's "junk in, junk out" to some extent, so the source samples aren't going to be great anyway, but does PinSound make it much better?

I have a Flipper Fidelity system in my TAF and it sounds pretty underwhelming. I'm pretty sure it's working properly, and it does sound better than the stock speakers did, but only marginally. The FF kit in my Tron LE is like night and day by comparison, real floor shaking bass and clarity.

#1487 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Just for clarity - can I buy PinSound+ for my TAF and have exactly the same music and sounds as the standard machine?
I don't want remixes or "reimaginings", I get that some people enjoy that but I consider it sacrilegious
I get that it's "junk in, junk out" to some extent, so the source samples aren't going to be great anyway, but does PinSound make it much better?
I have a Flipper Fidelity system in my TAF and it sounds pretty underwhelming. I'm pretty sure it's working properly, and it does sound better than the stock speakers did, but only marginally. The FF kit in my Tron LE is like night and day by comparison, real floor shaking bass and clarity.

Yes, the samples are the same.
It is just like you say, junk in junk out. But, the pinsound board does have very good amplifier
spechs and an EQ section that you could tweak your speaker system with. That can be a powerful tool if used properly.

#1488 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Yes, but the PinSound isn't going to do any better than the FF unless you also upgrade the mix.

The CFTBL, IJ and LOTR mixes are great examples of major upgrades to games. My DW mix made the game entirely, ENTIRELY different. The speakers aren't really the problem - it's about 80% mix, 20% speakers that make the difference. There may be a TAF mix that's suitable now; I am not sure

#1489 5 years ago

I just finished installing my first PinSound board on my Frankenstein. I ordered mine from K's arcade. It only took about four days from the time I ordered to the time I received it.

Installation was fairly straight forward and the software install took only about 30 minutes. I ordered this USB stick https://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-Extreme-Type-Flash-Drive/dp/B01NARBPI7/

However it was too long to fit between the back box wall and the USB port on the board. No worries though because I had a cheap 8 GB stick that was given to me as a promotional gift. It worked perfectly.

I want to thank Hazzard for putting all the time into his sound package. I am totally blown away at how much more the sounds enhance the gameplay. The beautiful orchastrated movie soundtrack makes the game so much more immersive. I love all the voice clips he has included, especially the sound he used to replace that annoying grunt sound every time you hit the ramp.

I wouldn't be surprised if the value of this game goes up because of how much Hazzards sound package enhances the game. Now I can't wait until PinSound finally releases Back to the Future!

I also want to that PinSound for a great product. To me, this is the best pinball product ever. You just don't know how much sound can enhance a pinball game until you put one in your game. What a difference!

Rich

#1490 5 years ago

I am totally blown away at how much more the sounds enhance the gameplay.

Exactly the point with PinSound! I've stated it a multitude of times, but PS is absolutely the #1 upgrade for any game. In my mind, there is no other "mod" that actually impacts and changes the overall experience of playing a pin. A well done orchestration draws the player in more, evokes more emotion, syncs well with the game events, and keeps a player coming back for more (I like to think that the several I have done for Getaway achieve these things).

#1491 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Exactly the point with PinSound! I've stated it a multitude of times, but PS is absolutely the #1 upgrade for any game. In my mind, there is no other "mod" that actually impacts and changes the overall experience of playing a pin. A well done orchestration draws the player in more, evokes more emotion, syncs well with the game events, and keeps a player coming back for more (I like to think that the several I have done for Getaway achieve these things).

I couldn't have said it better myself.

#1492 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

:/
I’m a huge PinSound supporter, have been for Years (8 boards and counting, plus countless supportive posts here), And even I have to admit it’s been what 2 1/2 years? Come on !

Yes, it's crazy how time flies... Be certain it's the last time we ever announce something in advance, there are way too many surprises when you want to create an easy to use / plug'n play product. Anyway, it's still coming

And thanks everyone for the kind words about PinSound, it's great to see that all the efforts we put into designing this product are worth it

#1493 5 years ago

hi , just installed a pinsound+ in my indi and everything works , but the led on the ps+ card , 2tp (5vd) is not burning . how come this ?

#1494 5 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

Yes, it's crazy how time flies... Be certain it's the last time we ever announce something in advance, there are way too many surprises when you want to create an easy to use / plug'n play product. Anyway, it's still coming
And thanks everyone for the kind words about PinSound, it's great to see that all the efforts we put into designing this product are worth it

Ha! well to be fair the word was out long before you guys confirmed it. Making stuff easy is very very HARD!

1 week later
#1495 5 years ago

One of our PinSound user was kind enough to send us a pic of his Attack From Mars setup.
No audio/video board, and everything works fine

IMG_20190314_225135-2 (resized).jpgIMG_20190314_225135-2 (resized).jpg
#1496 5 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

One of our PinSound user was kind enough to send us a pic of his Attack From Mars setup.
No audio/video board, and everything works fine
[quoted image]

Sweet - that game is #1 on my wish list (probably not alone there).

#1497 5 years ago

Shaker !!!!

#1498 5 years ago

I just finished upgrading my Jurassic Park speakers from original to the PinSound ones for Data East. I must say that I'm very satisfied with the upgrade. For the cabinet speaker, the bass is much deeper and handles volume significantly better. The backbox speakers clearly have a better frequency range, provide a richer sound, and the sound effects are clearly more distinguishable. The PinSound speakers are at least 5x heavier than the original speakers, and clearly better built, and perform noticeably better. Overall a great upgrade and I'm enjoying the results. I still need to install the headphone interface, but I'm done for the day working on pins

IMG_1947.JPGIMG_1947.JPGIMG_1949.JPGIMG_1949.JPG
#1499 5 years ago

Nice work!

#1500 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just finished upgrading my Jurassic Park speakers from original to the PinSound ones for Data East. I must say that I'm very satisfied with the upgrade. For the cabinet speaker, the bass is much deeper and handles volume significantly better. The backbox speakers clearly have a better frequency range, provide a richer sound, and the sound effects are clearly more distinguishable. The PinSound speakers are at least 5x heavier than the original speakers, and clearly better built, and perform noticeably better. Overall a great upgrade and I'm enjoying the results. I still need to install the headphone interface, but I'm done for the day working on pins
[quoted image][quoted image]

Fun stuff. I recently did the same for a Tommy. Made a big difference, although I'm having a hard time with the headphones. I think I need to work on the gain a bit. The sound over a nice set of Grado cans is awful. Music is okay, but sound effects are all blown out. I've not had much chance to fiddle about with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 79.50
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn Park, MN
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 129.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

7,780 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilsonville, OR
9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 359.00
Playfield - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone/page/30?hl=hazzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.