pasted_image (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 36.
#1351 5 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

I purchased this drive and it does not work. Sound is dead on my AF. Had to put back the original slow, delayed sound USB drive that came with the board.

I dunno; I've bought 4 of them, and all 4 work. sorry to hear that! They did work out of the box. You may also need to remove the special samsung software that comes on it - remove any files on it (or reformat - make sure you do not do a "quick format" ) and then re-load the files. There isn't anything special about this USB drive, just that it's faster.

#1352 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I dunno; I've bought 4 of them, and all 4 work. sorry to hear that! They did work out of the box. You may also need to remove the special samsung software that comes on it - remove any files on it (or reformat - make sure you do not do a "quick format" ) and then re-load the files. There isn't anything special about this USB drive, just that it's faster.

The issue was the firmware. I purchased the Pinsound 1 Board over 2 years ago and was never impressed by it. Withe the upgrade firmware I now see the full experience of the sounds. Its fantastic.

The firmware help page automatically downloads the firmware for the Pinsound+. I had to go to the help page, click the Pinsound 1 Board picture and then download the firmware upgrade. The install is simple once you download the upgrade and the upgrade remedied all issues.

#1353 5 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

The issue was the firmware. I purchased the Pinsound 1 Board over 2 years ago and was never impressed by it. Withe the upgrade firmware I now see the full experience of the sounds. Its fantastic.
The firmware help page automatically downloads the firmware for the Pinsound+. I had to go to the help page, click the Pinsound 1 Board picture and then download the firmware upgrade. The install is simple once you download the upgrade and the upgrade remedied all issues.

Oh great! I hadn’t thought of that. Good work! So glad you’re on board

FWIW the firmware between pinsound 1 and pinsound+ is identical

#1354 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

FWIW the firmware between pinsound 1 and pinsound+ is identical

Not in my experience. Mine was working fine, but figured I should upgrade. The Pinsound pages take you to the "+" files first (Why couldn't they just call it 2)

Wouldn't load on my card, found the original Pinsound help page and that download worked.

The original pinsound firmware update download is only 331kb, whereas the Pinsound + is 2.7mb. Not sure if I should be worried about the size discrepancy. The nice lady's voice told me it was updating, I haven't had a chance to check out the self diagnosis feature, but the board works and sounds the same to me. (great as always!)

I'm going to do much more experimenting now that PinStudio 1 fixes the DE engine problem. Currently if I don't add a config file manually to the USB stick that tells it its a Data East it handles jingles, etc differently.

1 week later
#1355 5 years ago

I just installed a pinsound+ into my Williams Indiana Jones. I also had an old 12” sub lying around so I ran rca cables from the board down to the sub under the game.
I used the optional stereo wiring harness instead of the stock wiring harness which is mono.
I already had upgraded the 3 speaker some time ago, so I was all set there.

So far I am very impressed. It changed the game.
I had to play with the EQ knobs a bit because I felt there was too much bass and it was drowning out vocals..even without the subwoofer powered on.

A few tips:
1. Get the stereo 2.1 wiring harness. This should be included with the pinsound+ board but it’s not. Otherwise it’s mono and the wiring with the stock harness is very thin.
2. I spent some time on this one... I originally used a 64gb usb stick because it was all I had available. The card wouldn’t read the sound files and kept complaining “no sound files on usb”. After some digging, I found that people had luck using diskpart or similar to partition it to 8gb. That worked, but it’s sort of silly that it can’t read the bigger partition and they should tell you that upfront.
3. The universal mounting system they have designed with this board is a bit odd. For Williams dcs games you wind up stretching the factory wiring harnesses to reach, which was harder on my system perhaps than for others and thenscrew placement makes it such that you’re putting a screwdriver through another hole to tighten the top bolts. I biggie though.

3 months later
#1356 5 years ago

The sound card is a must for Data East Star Wars!! It is incredible!! Just installed it in my machine and what a difference. Also upgrade to a X-Pin power supply in order to run the speakers, Color DMD, and Pinball Pro speakers!!

#1357 5 years ago

Not sure why people have all these issues with usb flash drives, pinsound sells the one they know works, just buy the blank one from them and use it. I have successfully used it on three boards so far. Great products and great customer service...merci! Pinsound speakers are great too, and a bit cheaper than other high quality pinball speakers.

#1358 5 years ago

Does anyone know why on Pinsound website no matter what game you try to order speakers for it says out of stock. This is every single game! Anyone know why?

#1359 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Does anyone know why on Pinsound website no matter what game you try to order speakers for it says out of stock. This is every single game! Anyone know why?

Maybe they are out of speakers right now?

#1360 5 years ago

I have Pinsounds in my IJ and TZ. Never going back to stock. Amazing. Like new pins!

#1361 5 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Alternative:
http://pinballpro.net/product-category/all-products/pinsound/

1 week later
#1362 5 years ago

Just installed a pinsound on my lotr. I have done this before on desw, ij, and another lotr with no problems. This one is proving tough. I could use help with a couple questions:

First, this lotr has pinball pro speakers installed. The connector that goes on the board only has four wires (it leaves two pins bare on the board). On the original setup (before I added pinsound) I had all three speakers making sound. Now it’s hooked to pinsound, I only have left and cabinet sound. Do I need a different wiring harness to go to the pinsound? I’m unfamiliar with pinballpro’s setup.

Second: Pinsound seems to boot, and makes the normal beeping and happy boot sound, then just kinda trails off and makes no sound. The game is silent after that. I’m using the wool mix decompressed and loaded onto the stock flash drive that comes with the pinsound using the studio software. Full disclosure I have a colordmd that could be straining the electrical, but I disconnected it and have the same problem. It previously said something like no wave files detected but then I used the pinsound studio and it just goes quiet. No game sounds.

Thanks in advance for your responses

#1363 5 years ago

I had similar issues with my USB, and it turned out just switching to another USB solved it. For whatever reason, some of them just don’t work.

Not sure on the speakers, unfortunately. I bought Pinsound’s, and it was pretty straightforward.

#1364 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

I had similar issues with my USB, and it turned out just switching to another USB solved it. For whatever reason, some of them just don’t work.
Not sure on the speakers, unfortunately. I bought Pinsound’s, and it was pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the response. I’ll try a different usb thumb stick.

Anyone else have any ideas about the pinball pro speakers? I think they just have two channel (left and right) then just send the low sounds to the sub via that big volume knob. But I’m not sure. Can I just bypass that and make my own 2.1 wiring harness?

#1365 5 years ago

How does this board sound in lotr? I saw a YouTube video and was less than impressed. Callouts still seemed to be recorded over a walkie talkies. Was it the video or is the real thing that bad.

#1366 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

How does this board sound in lotr? I saw a YouTube video and was less than impressed. Callouts still seemed to be recorded over a walkie talkies. Was it the video or is the real thing that bad.

Quality of sound is largely dependent on the audio mix and speakers. If you're merely adding to upgrade the existing audio/samples, the cost is prohibitive IMHO.

This video was clearly recorded with an inexpensive mic, so the actual game audio sounds better.

I personally prefer this mix because it changes the vibe of the game.

#1367 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Thanks for the response. I’ll try a different usb thumb stick.
Anyone else have any ideas about the pinball pro speakers? I think they just have two channel (left and right) then just send the low sounds to the sub via that big volume knob. But I’m not sure. Can I just bypass that and make my own 2.1 wiring harness?

Yes

#1368 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Quality of sound is largely dependent on the audio mix and speakers. If you're merely adding to upgrade the existing audio/samples, the cost is prohibitive IMHO.
This video was clearly recorded with an inexpensive mic, so the actual game audio sounds better.

Thats awesome....

#1369 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Just installed a pinsound on my lotr. I have done this before on desw, ij, and another lotr with no problems. This one is proving tough. I could use help with a couple questions:
First, this lotr has pinball pro speakers installed. The connector that goes on the board only has four wires (it leaves two pins bare on the board). On the original setup (before I added pinsound) I had all three speakers making sound. Now it’s hooked to pinsound, I only have left and cabinet sound. Do I need a different wiring harness to go to the pinsound? I’m unfamiliar with pinballpro’s setup.
Second: Pinsound seems to boot, and makes the normal beeping and happy boot sound, then just kinda trails off and makes no sound. The game is silent after that. I’m using the wool mix decompressed and loaded onto the stock flash drive that comes with the pinsound using the studio software. Full disclosure I have a colordmd that could be straining the electrical, but I disconnected it and have the same problem. It previously said something like no wave files detected but then I used the pinsound studio and it just goes quiet. No game sounds.
Thanks in advance for your responses

Pinsound sells a 2.1 stereo harness you need to purchase. It’s plug and play that way.

#1370 5 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyhonda:

Pinsound sells a 2.1 stereo harness you need to purchase. It’s plug and play that way.

You can also make your own; it's not a very hard harness to make; only 4 wires

#1371 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

You can also make your own; it's not a very hard harness to make; only 4 wires

I ended up making my own harness and it turned out great!

My pinsound still doesn’t work though. Tried three different confirmed working thumb drives and it does the exact same thing. I’m guessing I have a voltage problem. I will try to troubleshoot with the pinsound guys if they will help.

So I ended up booking my new harness directly from the original sound output to the pinball pro speakers. Sounded amazingly better than going through the pinballpro volume knob. It actually sounds good enough I might not end up doing pinsound if it doesn’t get easier soon...

#1372 5 years ago

Ok. I just remembered something that is likely important. I played only one game with the sound back up. Flippers seemed a little weak and my left flipper stopped activating during a multi ball. For just a second or two. Just a few flips. It made no sound or attempt at flipping. Then it went back to normal. That’s another reason I’m thinking i have a power problem..

#1373 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Ok. I just remembered something that is likely important. I played only one game with the sound back up. Flippers seemed a little weak and my left flipper stopped activating during a multi ball. For just a second or two. Just a few flips. It made no sound or attempt at flipping. Then it went back to normal. That’s another reason I’m thinking i have a power problem..

Put a meter on the 5V DC output (J502 connector) on the Pinsound and see what you are getting. If not 5+ V then you definitely have a power issue. I had a board at one time that was only putting out 1.75V, I replaced the +5V / 500mA fast blow fuse and that got me up to the 5V where it should have been.

Of course, if you have having other pin problems, you need to measure your input side to make sure the correct voltage is making it to the Pinsound board in the first place.

#1374 5 years ago

Don’t use the volume knob from pinball pro. Take that out. All you need is the Pinsound board and speakers. The Pinsound board has the volume controls right on the board. Connect the wires from the Pinsound board directly to each speaker. I just went through this whole thing on my IJ with a new Pinsound and new pinball pro speakers.

#1375 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I recorded the video with my phone, and the pinball is still on the original speakers, I bought the visaton speakers and the quality will certainly be much better. As for the mix, it's great, the game is much better.

#1376 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I ended up making my own harness and it turned out great!
My pinsound still doesn’t work though. Tried three different confirmed working thumb drives and it does the exact same thing. I’m guessing I have a voltage problem. I will try to troubleshoot with the pinsound guys if they will help.
So I ended up booking my new harness directly from the original sound output to the pinball pro speakers. Sounded amazingly better than going through the pinballpro volume knob. It actually sounds good enough I might not end up doing pinsound if it doesn’t get easier soon...

Look at the ‘pinsound-self-diagnosis’ file on your USB drive it reports voltage and tolerances that may help.

If everything looks within range then start with just a single zip file of the mix on the USB, nothing else. Insert into the PinSound board turn on machine & let the PinSound board unzip & do the work. If you get some sort of error message or nothing happens then check your folder structure or your mix is corrupt. I have had mixes that don’t load because I altered the folder structure. Worst comes to worst, go back to the original mix that you can download from the PinSound community and try that.

You could also try my mix that I recently uploaded to the PinSound community here:
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/263-lotr_hawknole/

#1377 5 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Look at the ‘pinsound-self-diagnosis’ file on your USB drive it reports voltage and tolerances that may help.
If everything looks within range then start with just a single zip file of the mix on the USB, nothing else. Insert into the PinSound board turn on machine & let the PinSound board unzip & do the work. If you get some sort of error message or nothing happens then check your folder structure or your mix is corrupt. I have had mixes that don’t load because I altered the folder structure. Worst comes to worst, go back to the original mix that you can download from the PinSound community and try that.
You could also try my mix that I recently uploaded to the PinSound community here:
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/263-lotr_hawknole/

spot on advice

#1378 5 years ago

Awesome. Thanks all. I’ll get working on all that tonight.

#1379 5 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Pinsound in LoTR is incredible and drastically improves the one real flaw with the game (the sound quality). I have a Pinsound Plus with four different mixes and it’s night and day difference between the original and makes gameplay experience way better imo (as good as it is to begin). I did also upgrade speakers.

#1380 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Whoa, man, I have a sound file for Wool, but it sounds nothing like this, meaning I must have named something wrong when I was loading all my files. I’ve been missing out on this the entire time. Fuck me!

Will be fixing tomorrow...

#1381 5 years ago

Hmmmm. I can’t find a pinsound self diagnosis file on my usb. Is that a pinsound plus feature or maybe newer firmware than I have?

#1382 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hmmmm. I can’t find a pinsound self diagnosis file on my usb. Is that a pinsound plus feature or maybe newer firmware than I have?

Could be, I have a PinSound+ and the latest firmware.

1 week later
#1383 5 years ago

Well, looks like I'm going to jump back in after nearly 3 years of absenteeism and get PinSound+ for my BSD. Hazzard's mix finally got me wanting to jump back in.

Last time I did this, I had a very problem-heavy TAF with ColorDMD and PinSound, and life was hell with constantly random resets. This time, I'll be running both the ColorDMD and the PinSound+ board off their own dedicated power supply. For those interested, this is the exact power supply I use for current heavy mods like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5E8W3K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00

Super easy and provides the voltages required for ColorDMD. PinSound, I need to double check on, but I plan to use it for it either way.

#1384 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Well, looks like I'm going to jump back in after nearly 3 years of absenteeism and get PinSound+ for my BSD. Hazzard's mix finally got me wanting to jump back in.
Last time I did this, I had a very problem-heavy TAF with ColorDMD and PinSound, and life was hell with constantly random resets. This time, I'll be running both the ColorDMD and the PinSound+ board off their own dedicated power supply. For those interested, this is the exact power supply I use for current heavy mods like this:
amazon.com link »
Super easy and provides the voltages required for ColorDMD. PinSound, I need to double check on, but I plan to use it for it either way.

Very interested in how you end up doing this (how you wire it and which wires you use). This is the next thing on my to do list. I have read something about watching the same ground is used when doing this.

#1385 5 years ago
Quoted from shepP:

Very interested in how you end up doing this (how you wire it and which wires you use). This is the next thing on my to do list. I have read something about watching the same ground is used when doing this.

Super easy for the 5V circuit. All you need to do is look in your manual in the part 3 section for "wiring schematics" for the sound board wiring (page 3-28), determine which wires on J502 are responsible for delivering 5V to the board (pins 1 & 3), do the same for the ground wires (pins 4 & 5), create your own molex connectors with appropriate wiring, connect them to the appropriate points on the PinSound board as well as run them to the 5V lead and ground lead (notice, one lead designated for this) on the power supply.

I can take pictures and show you how to do it. I love helping empower others to do things like this.

The 18VAC circuit is not an issue because that power comes directly off the transformer secondary; it doesn't travel through all the different boards, so no need to run it directly to the portable power supply.

Which game are you wanting to do it on? I'll gladly walk you through it!

#1386 5 years ago

Thanks for your help. I would love to take you up on your offer. Pictures are always welcome. I'm doing this first on a Guns n' Roses. If all goes well 5 other machines will also get the same treatment.

#1387 5 years ago

I'm working with the pin sound card and it seems like every time I do, I ask myself why? The website has gotten a little bit better but it's still a pain in the butt. I need some help because I'm not quite sure what's going wrong. The game boots up and you can hear The audio, and it never says "missing audio files". I want you start again there's no audio other than the booting of the audio. So I know the speakers are working and obviously it's hooked up properly or you wouldn't hear anything. Can someone take a look at these files and see what I'm doing wrong? Yes I know they look like Mac files but they are PC files. I just use these images so that I could upload them from my Mac onto pinside.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 5.50.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 5.50.22 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 5.50.33 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 5.50.33 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 5.50.42 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 5.50.42 PM (resized).png
#1388 5 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

I'm working with the pin sound card and it seems like every time I do, I ask myself why? The website has gotten a little bit better but it's still a pain in the butt. I need some help because I'm not quite sure what's going wrong. The game boots up and you can hear The audio, and it never says "missing audio files". I want you start again there's no audio other than the booting of the audio. So I know the speakers are working and obviously it's hooked up properly or you wouldn't hear anything. Can someone take a look at these files and see what I'm doing wrong? Yes I know they look like Mac files but they are PC files. I just use these images so that I could upload them from my Mac onto pinside.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Have you checked out my guide?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

#1389 5 years ago

That deserves MANY more thumbs-ups. Well done!

#1390 5 years ago
Quoted from shepP:

Thanks for your help. I would love to take you up on your offer. Pictures are always welcome. I'm doing this first on a Guns n' Roses. If all goes well 5 other machines will also get the same treatment.

Your going to love it on GNR

#1391 5 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

That deserves MANY more thumbs-ups. Well done!

Thanks. Just felt like someone needed to put it altogether, so I would share what I learned.

#1392 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Thanks. Just felt like someone needed to put it altogether, so I would share what I learned.

Absolutely fantastic work!

#1393 5 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

PM Sent. Please follow the instructions I provided and let me know how it goes.

When done your USB drive should be arranged as attached pics. From the root of the USB drive, you should only have 1 file - config.ini and one folder - audio. From there, the arrangement should be as listed in the second pic. All of this will be automatic if you just unzip the file I linked you to.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

PS: I can't believe I'm helping a Longhorn - sincerely, die-hard Sooner fan

#1394 5 years ago

Mr-Tantrum,maybe you could help me=I have a TAFG and have a pin sound in it! But when the mode goes to "Showtime" my FF speakers cut out!!!Are they tweeking out because there's to much power,or not enough power????Thanks for reading!!!!

#1395 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Mr-Tantrum,maybe you could help me=I have a TAFG and have a pin sound in it! But when the mode goes to "Showtime" my FF speakers cut out!!!Are they tweeking out because there's to much power,or not enough power????Thanks for reading!!!!

I'm definitely not a PinSound hardware expert, so I would have a few questions regarding overall sound.

1) Does it start up normally and play sound fine until the event?
2) What orchestration are you utilizing (the default one or a custom one)?
3) If you have only tried with a single orchestration, can you try another to see what happens?
4) If you have more than one orchestration installed does it happen on all of them at the same event or do different orchestrations react differently?
5) What happens if you replace that sound on your USB with a different (doesn't matter what just to test)?

Default Orchestration: https://www.pinsound.org/pinballs/wpc-alpha-dmd/the-addams-family
Custom Orchestrations: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/category/21-the-addams-family

#1396 5 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

it sounds to me like you may be missing a sound clip - do the speakers fizzle/buzz out, or does it just plain not play the sound?

1 week later
#1397 5 years ago

Stay away! Problems! Not worth the headaches!

#1398 5 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

Stay away! Problems! Not worth the headaches!

Now that's bullcrap for sure...

#1399 5 years ago

Is it worth getting PinSound+ if I don't want to change the sounds & music on my TAF? I can find plenty of remixes etc on YouTube, but I don't want to lose the iconic music and Raul Julia callouts, etc.

I already have upgraded Flipper Fidelity speakers in my TAF and that currently only highlights how crap the stock pre-DCS amp is.

#1400 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Is it worth getting PinSound+ if I don't want to change the sounds & music on my TAF? I can find plenty of remixes etc on YouTube, but I don't want to lose the iconic music and Raul Julia callouts, etc.
I already have upgraded Flipper Fidelity speakers in my TAF and that currently only highlights how crap the stock pre-DCS amp is.

If you aren't going to replace the sound and callouts at all, then I wouldn't bother. You absolutely must use one of the enhanced mixes to get any additional benefit from the game at this point. FF speaker upgrade is great, but it definitely highlights how low-quality the sounds actually are in pre-DCA games

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone/page/28?hl=shepp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.