pasted_image (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG
There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 36.
#1301 5 years ago

I just installed one of these into my Data East Star Wars over the weekend. It is nothing short of transformational! I did not need the Data East power booster. I did have to install the new firmware to get it to work. I did not "unpack" the zip file on the computer prior to installation so it took about 40 minutes or so to complete the "audio conversion" on the board itself. The results are just amazing!!!

I am running the Julian sound package which is pretty great other than the multiball restart music defaults back to the original which is a bit strange and abrupt in the context of the rest of the work that was done. Would it be that hard to "complete" this package and provide music for that only outstanding straggler music from the original? Are any of the other star wars mixes any better? It seems the Julian one is the most popular.

I will buy a pinsound board for every Data East keeper machine i get moving forward. I am very much on the hunt for a guns and roses!!

#1302 5 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

I hesitate to say never but it will be a trick. There is no soundboard on the SAM system. There is a digital to analog converter and some borrowed CPU, RAM and storage. The SAM sound system is pure software. There is no good way for an external board to determine when anything is being played.
SAM is moderate fidelity not high fidelity. Mono, 24 kHz and compressed 4 to 1. It sounds great for what it is. Without the cooperation of system software after the fact (which is not forthcoming) there is no way to hook into the event stream.
Sorry.
ddt

What a bummer to hear - perhaps SAM can someday be open sourced or reverse engineered to accommodate an upgrade

#1303 5 years ago

Looks like another firmware update has been released today, but I keep getting page cannot be found when trying to download it. Anyone else try yet?

#1304 5 years ago
Quoted from jints56:

Looks like another firmware update has been released today, but I keep getting page cannot be found when trying to download it. Anyone else try yet?

they messed up the link - here is the correct one

https://www.pinsound.org/wp-content/uploads/releases/pinsound-update-1881.psrom

#1305 5 years ago

love mine in my data east guns and roses. recommend a speaker upgrade too since pinsound can have a much more powerful output.

#1306 5 years ago

I just put a pinsound board in my Getaway, and it's kind of annoying me... I'm thinking about taking it out.

I tried several of the custom orchestrations, but they all got on my nerves. I couldn't stand the ones with custom callouts, and the rest all had quirks that irritated me. For example, the ones with custom music all eliminated things like the multiball intro sound sequence.

So, I tried loading the 'default' sound configuration on. Only problem is, it's not quite right. There are a few sounds that don't match the originals, such as the sound that plays when the car pulls up to 'dount heaven' on the 2nd lock.

The biggest annoyance though is there is some weird lowering of the music when certain sounds play. It's hard to tell exactly what it is, but it is definitely different than before. Most sounds don't interrupt the music, but some (seemingly arbitrary) ones cause the music volume to drop to almost zero until the sound finishes playing. This is really bothering me, and I'm considering yanking the board over it.

I will say that the board itself seems well built though. I like the status LEDs, and it was easy to install and update. I just wish the original sound package was a better replication of the original sondtrack.

#1307 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

I just put a pinsound board in my Getaway, and it's kind of annoying me... I'm thinking about taking it out.
I tried several of the custom orchestrations, but they all got on my nerves. I couldn't stand the ones with custom callouts, and the rest all had quirks that irritated me. For example, the ones with custom music all eliminated things like the multiball intro sound sequence.
So, I tried loading the 'default' sound configuration on. Only problem is, it's not quite right. There are a few sounds that don't match the originals, such as the sound that plays when the car pulls up to 'dount heaven' on the 2nd lock.
The biggest annoyance though is there is some weird lowering of the music when certain sounds play. It's hard to tell exactly what it is, but it is definitely different than before. Most sounds don't interrupt the music, but some (seemingly arbitrary) ones cause the music volume to drop to almost zero until the sound finishes playing. This is really bothering me, and I'm considering yanking the board over it.
I will say that the board itself seems well built though. I like the status LEDs, and it was easy to install and update. I just wish the original sound package was a better replication of the original sondtrack.

Those level concerns are exactly what has kept me from purchasing one for my LOTR.

#1308 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

This makes me think some of the sounds are in the wrong folder. Check Pinsound website for explanation but dependable on in which folder a sound file is the background music will stop playing or not. Guessing that who made the original soundset didn’t do a perfect job on categorizing the recorded sounds.

If you decide to correct it, do the community a favour and upload your corrected soundset.

#1309 5 years ago

Installed the Pinsound board in a TZ. Found there was a delay in the sound when the action was happening. It mainly was at the end of ball bonus. Changed it to a TAF and is better. I'm just not a fan of the startup sequence. "ping, ping, ping. . . . ding dong ding wooooo." Too long a startup time. Also I don't see the huge difference in sound on the machine. The speakers are upgraded to Pinball Pro Premium. Have another Pinsound board in IJ. It looks cool when you open up the back box, but otherwise no big $300.00 difference. I'm starting to think that in D.E. games the board would make a difference. However with the Pinsound board, upgraded speakers, and Color DMD can see where machine would have power issues.

The website is user friendly and may contribute to other added/altered/new sounds, but I'm a traditional sound guy anyway.

#1310 5 years ago

All of the items you guys are describing are resolveable - but I suppose if you don’t think it’s worth it for the additional tweaking, then it’s not. If you don’t hear the difference (I am totally shocked by this BTW), it’s never going to seem like a good idea. The variance in music vs call outs can be adjusted on each mix, tweaked however you like.

WPC89 games and DE benefit the most from the board, although there are definitely benefits to using it on a WPC95 machine.

That said, I have the following in my TZ:

Pinsound
Pinduino
LEDOCD
GIOCD
Colordmd
High end speakers

And I do not have the lag issue on TZ. One huge factor in the delay is in the USB drives the pinsound originally shipped with. I had an IJ which experienced the delay - it had a huge amount of sounds and changes, and it was pushing a massive amount of data. The usb drive was too slow (and it was also getting super hot) to keep up with the game.

On Sunday we upgraded to a much faster, newer USB drive and not only did the lag go away, it boots in about 8 seconds which is miles faster. The usb cost $20, as I wanted the fastest one possible.

By the way.. HOW do you not hear a huge difference in IJ? Which mix are you using? The Endprodukt one absolutely brings that game into the modern era

#1311 5 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

Installed the Pinsound board in a TZ. Found there was a delay in the sound when the action was happening. It mainly was at the end of ball bonus. Changed it to a TAF and is better. I'm just not a fan of the startup sequence. "ping, ping, ping. . . . ding dong ding wooooo." Too long a startup time. Also I don't see the huge difference in sound on the machine. The speakers are upgraded to Pinball Pro Premium. Have another Pinsound board in IJ. It looks cool when you open up the back box, but otherwise no big $300.00 difference. I'm starting to think that in D.E. games the board would make a difference. However with the Pinsound board, upgraded speakers, and Color DMD can see where machine would have power issues.
The website is user friendly and may contribute to other added/altered/new sounds, but I'm a traditional sound guy anyway.

If you can get your hands on the alternative sound mix available for the IJ from Endprodukt you will alter your opinion for sure. See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-indiana-jones-reorchestration-released

Problem it was removed from the forum due to license issues. So you need to know somebody and no, sorry, I don’t have it.

#1312 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

As the creator of most of the custom Getaway orchestrations available for download on the pinsound community forums, let me see if I can respond in an informative way to some of your observations.

1) I just put a pinsound board in my Getaway, and it's kind of annoying me... I'm thinking about taking it out. I tried several of the custom orchestrations, but they all got on my nerves.

- Well, that's the beauty (and the challenge) of PinSound. It is a hardware platform where the pin community is left to create their own orchestrations to their liking. I'm not offended at all if you don't like any of my orchestrations. These are custom packages that I created and share with the community to either use them or not. Everyone is more than welcome to learn the technology and create their own orchestrations to their own liking. I also realize that the vast majority of people don't have the ability, desire, or time to do such a thing. If this is your case, then your options are somewhat limited to either use an orchestration someone else has made, alter an orchestration that someone else has made to your liking, utilize the original sound track "as is" with PinSound, or go back to the original sound board.

2) For example, the ones with custom music all eliminated things like the multiball intro sound sequence.

- It is not a simple or quick thing to decode and reverse engineer the original sound track . . . it is actually quite the process. I have not attempted this myself, but relied upon another who came before me, and you are right in that there are definitely a few missing elements. Additionally, there are a number of elements that exist in the orchestration that are never used - just latent sounds, weird. My assumption is that if someone took the time to re-decode the original sound files that these missing sound event triggers might be recovered, and then these could be re-introduced to the PinSound orchestrations.

3) The biggest annoyance though is there is some weird lowering of the music when certain sounds play. It's hard to tell exactly what it is, but it is definitely different than before. Most sounds don't interrupt the music, but some (seemingly arbitrary) ones cause the music volume to drop to almost zero until the sound finishes playing. This is really bothering me, and I'm considering yanking the board over it.

- My orchestrations were all designed based upon my pin which has a speaker replacement with matching backbox speakers, rewired to support stereo instead of the default mono configuration, and my personal soundboard settings (bass, treble, balance, fade, etc.) Also, while apparently more pronounced on your setup, it is by design that the music fades during some of the callouts in order to understand them. All of this is adjustable either on a global or individual callout level in the PinSound orchestration using config files (see my PinSound thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound)

4) I will say that the board itself seems well built though. I like the status LEDs, and it was easy to install and update. I just wish the original sound package was a better replication of the original sondtrack.

- So, I have a few things to say about this. First, if your desire is to remain true to the original orchestration with midi music, mono callouts, etc. (nothing wrong with that at all), then PinSound will do nothing for you. The hardware will not make the music or callouts sound any better. However, if you wish to upgrade to CD quality music, hi quality stereo callouts, etc. then PinSound is a viable add-on for you. Even so, it is not designed to be a plug and play experience. The hardware does not do anything to convert the original audio, as all of this must be done by pinball owners who have the desire to teach themselves how, the skill to pull it off, and the generosity to share their work with others. In many games, including the Getaway, even with the PinSound and a customized orchestration you will still not realize the full benefit until you upgrade the original speakers and rewire them to support stereo sound.

Overall, I hope that what I have written proves to be informative, as my intent is in no way to criticize anyone for their opinions on PinSound. Personally, I love the invention and appreciate what they guys have done with improving the pinball experience for multitudes of people such as myself. I also fully realize that it is not for everyone. I understand that pinball purists will not appreciate or care for PinSound in general. Others, for whatever reason, may not fully realize what the capabilities of the board are until they buy one and install it. Then they are faced with the reality of leveraging the work of others in the community, or spending countless hours figuring out how to make their own orchestrations, and investing the time and effort to actually do so.

#1313 5 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

If you can get your hands on the alternative sound mix available for the IJ from Endprodukt you will alter your opinion for sure. See https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-indiana-jones-reorchestration-released
Problem it was removed from the forum due to license issues. So you need to know somebody and no, sorry, I don’t have it.

His mix was never intended to be on the pinsound community; someone uploaded it without his permission. It was an old mix anyway - just PM him and send him a couple bucks for his trouble. It is a really awesome mix, immersive I would say

#1314 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

His mix was never intended to be on the pinsound community; someone uploaded it without his permission. It was an old mix anyway - just PM him and send him a couple bucks for his trouble. It is a really awesome mix, immersive I would say

Same goes for his Jurassic Park.

#1315 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Same goes for his Jurassic Park.

Also an outstanding mix! I wish I had the patience you guys have in tweaking these mixes so precisely! Someday I’ll finish my TZ mix

#1316 5 years ago

PinSound is hard. To do it right takes a time and some good knowledge about digital audio.

I keep seeing people complaining about sounds getting too quiet. There is an audio engineering term called “ducking”. It’s when one audio track volume is lowered whenever another audio track is played at the same time.

PinSound uses ducking to make it easier to hear individual sounds over one another when they play at the same time. Each mix can have its own settings and if they are setup poorly you are going to hear the sound getting quiet and having odd volume issues.

To edit the ducking settings you have to modify the text file on the USB stick. If you want ducking off set all values to 100. Usually a tiny amount of ducking is what you want so things like call outs can be heard.

Compared to ColorDMD where its basically plug and play PinSound requires a ton more tweaking. For me it’s 100% worth it though. I’ve put maybe 80 hours of tweaking into each game I’ve PinSounded. Its a labor of love and the results blow peoples minds and have made each game incredibly addictive.

#1317 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

PinSound is hard. To do it right takes a time and some good knowledge about digital audio.
I keep seeing people complaining about sounds getting too quiet. There is an audio engineering term called “ducking”. It’s when one audio track volume is lowered whenever another audio track is played at the same time.
PinSound uses ducking to make it easier to hear individual sounds over one another when they play at the same time. Each mix can have its own settings and if they are setup poorly you are going to hear the sound getting quiet and having odd volume issues.
To edit the ducking settings you have to modify the text file on the USB stick. If you want ducking off set all values to 100. Usually a tiny amount of ducking is what you want so things like call outs can be heard.
Compared to ColorDMD where its basically plug and play PinSound requires a ton more tweaking. For me it’s 100% worth it though. I’ve put maybe 80 hours of tweaking into each game I’ve PinSounded. Its a labor of love and the results blow peoples minds and have made each game incredibly addictive.

Well said, Pinball and PinSound is hard

Everyone has a different setup and environment, and preferences of what they are expecting as far as music, callouts, etc. Sound is hard. Most people take it for granted but there is a reason people go to school for years to learn this stuff.

#1318 5 years ago

Elaborating on the ducking issue...

The specific file to change on the USB stick is called "config.ini" and it will look something like this:

-----------------------------------------------------
; PinSound board config file

; to be saved in USB:/config.ini

[main]

debug = false ; Enable DEBUG mode

psrec = false ; Enable PSREC recording (see PinSound Studio)

sleep = 400 ; Time (seconds) before auto-pausing music when there are no audio events

ducking_jingle = 8
ducking_sfx = 80
ducking_voice = 65
--------------------------------------------------

Jingle, SFX, Voice are all related to the folder structure PinSound uses. If a sound is in the Jingle folder than when it is triggered the game will set the musics volume to whatever the ducking_jingle value is. As soon as the jingle stops playing the music returns to it's normal volume.

Jingles are typically short musical clips that you will want to hear in isolation, therefore the ducking_jingle is set very low at 8. If you wanted to completely mute the background music a value of 0 should be used.

When a game triggers a call out the music volume will be set to the level of ducking_voice. In this case I have it at 65 so the music will lower a touch in order for the voices to be heard. This is the same exact effect you'll hear on the radio when a DJ talks over background music.

You will generally want all sound effects to be played without adjusting the music volume much. A value between 100-80 is best for ducking_sfx.

----------------

Let's give a few examples of some problem solving:

Q. All of my call outs are too quiet and when sound effects play the music gets all quiet.

A. You need to adjust the "gain.txt" file inside your "voice" folder and you need to adjust the ducking_sfx value in "config.ini"

Q. One specific sound effect is too loud.

A. Put a "gain.txt" file inside that sound effects specific folder and set the value to 10 or lower.

Q. The music keeps cutting out whenever there are call outs but the call outs are also too quiet.

A. Adjust the ducking_voice setting in "config.ini" to a value between 60-100. Add a "gain.txt" file inside the "voice" folder with a value of 10 or higher.

-----------------

Hopefully this can help people a bit. I'd hate to see a bunch of people give up on PinSound because of a single line a text file.

#1319 5 years ago

The best examples of Pinsound installations will have exemplary content to accompany it. IJ and DESW are prime examples. Tons of great sound available (in the form of stereo audio from multiple BluRay movies) to use in the orchestration.

This is why, (so far) we've not seen a super compelling WPC95 title. Of those 13 games, only 4 are licensed and only Congo has a movie that might have some available content.

When good content is available (and some kind soul takes the time to put it together), it is way-cool and totally elevates the experience.

#1320 5 years ago
Quoted from Duvall:

The best examples of Pinsound installations will have exemplary content to accompany it. IJ and DESW are prime examples. Tons of great sound available (in the form of stereo audio from multiple BluRay movies) to use in the orchestration.
This is why, (so far) we've not seen a super compelling WPC95 title. Of those 13 games, only 3 are licensed and only Congo has a movie that might have some available content.
When good content is available (and some kind soul takes the time to put it together), it is way-cool and totally elevates the experience.

The other good examples are 100% in violation of every copyright known to man

#1321 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

The other good examples are 100% in violation of every copyright known to man

What do you mean by this?

#1322 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

As the creator of most of the custom Getaway orchestrations available for download on the pinsound community forums, let me see if I can respond in an informative way to some of your observations.
1) I just put a pinsound board in my Getaway, and it's kind of annoying me... I'm thinking about taking it out. I tried several of the custom orchestrations, but they all got on my nerves.
- Well, that's the beauty (and the challenge) of PinSound. It is a hardware platform where the pin community is left to create their own orchestrations to their liking. I'm not offended at all if you don't like any of my orchestrations. These are custom packages that I created and share with the community to either use them or not. Everyone is more than welcome to learn the technology and create their own orchestrations to their own liking. I also realize that the vast majority of people don't have the ability, desire, or time to do such a thing. If this is your case, then your options are somewhat limited to either use an orchestration someone else has made, alter an orchestration that someone else has made to your liking, utilize the original sound track "as is" with PinSound, or go back to the original sound board.
2) For example, the ones with custom music all eliminated things like the multiball intro sound sequence.
- It is not a simple or quick thing to decode and reverse engineer the original sound track . . . it is actually quite the process. I have not attempted this myself, but relied upon another who came before me, and you are right in that there are definitely a few missing elements. Additionally, there are a number of elements that exist in the orchestration that are never used - just latent sounds, weird. My assumption is that if someone took the time to re-decode the original sound files that these missing sound event triggers might be recovered, and then these could be re-introduced to the PinSound orchestrations.
3) The biggest annoyance though is there is some weird lowering of the music when certain sounds play. It's hard to tell exactly what it is, but it is definitely different than before. Most sounds don't interrupt the music, but some (seemingly arbitrary) ones cause the music volume to drop to almost zero until the sound finishes playing. This is really bothering me, and I'm considering yanking the board over it.
- My orchestrations were all designed based upon my pin which has a speaker replacement with matching backbox speakers, rewired to support stereo instead of the default mono configuration, and my personal soundboard settings (bass, treble, balance, fade, etc.) Also, while apparently more pronounced on your setup, it is by design that the music fades during some of the callouts in order to understand them. All of this is adjustable either on a global or individual callout level in the PinSound orchestration using config files (see my PinSound thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound)
4) I will say that the board itself seems well built though. I like the status LEDs, and it was easy to install and update. I just wish the original sound package was a better replication of the original sondtrack.
- So, I have a few things to say about this. First, if your desire is to remain true to the original orchestration with midi music, mono callouts, etc. (nothing wrong with that at all), then PinSound will do nothing for you. The hardware will not make the music or callouts sound any better. However, if you wish to upgrade to CD quality music, hi quality stereo callouts, etc. then PinSound is a viable add-on for you. Even so, it is not designed to be a plug and play experience. The hardware does not do anything to convert the original audio, as all of this must be done by pinball owners who have the desire to teach themselves how, the skill to pull it off, and the generosity to share their work with others. In many games, including the Getaway, even with the PinSound and a customized orchestration you will still not realize the full benefit until you upgrade the original speakers and rewire them to support stereo sound.
Overall, I hope that what I have written proves to be informative, as my intent is in no way to criticize anyone for their opinions on PinSound. Personally, I love the invention and appreciate what they guys have done with improving the pinball experience for multitudes of people such as myself. I also fully realize that it is not for everyone. I understand that pinball purists will not appreciate or care for PinSound in general. Others, for whatever reason, may not fully realize what the capabilities of the board are until they buy one and install it. Then they are faced with the reality of leveraging the work of others in the community, or spending countless hours figuring out how to make their own orchestrations, and investing the time and effort to actually do so.

So, hope you weren't offended by my comments. To be clear, I actually like a lot of things about the other orchestrations you published, but I have some OCD tendencies and it really irritates me if small things change in ways I don't like. Even though I like a lot of the other music packages better in general, the little quirks and differences vs the original sounds irritate me too much. The change that really messes up the experience for me on my particular speakers is the start of multiball. The new music begins playing immediately, and its almost impossible to hear the police officer dialog that plays. I also really miss the adrenaline pumping SFX during the sequence, and the police sirens that used to go off as the balls are released from the lock.

Anyway, everyone's preferences will be different here. I'm sure a lot of people like the changes better.

What I was really hoping for with this board was to be able to keep the original sounds/callouts completely in tact, but get upgraded music. Unfortunately, since the original sound package isn't entirely accurate, I can't just use that as a starting point and add my own music (furthermore, I have no idea how to use the software to edit anything either).

Regarding the 'ducking', what bothers me is that it seems fairly arbitrary when the music lowers and when it doesn't. One of the more noticeable places where this is a problem for me is after the game ends and the match animation plays. The game over music is playing, but for some reason when the SFX plays as the car drives by to reveal the match number, the music volume drops to near zero. This is really jarring since the car sound isn't very loud or important, and the music dropping out sounds like a malfunction. However, when most other car sounds play in game, the music is left alone. As such, I'm not sure whats special about this sound and why it drops the music out.

I guess I will try adding that .ini file to the flash drive. What settings for 'ducking' would match the behavior of the original board? I'd like things to sound as close to original as possible in that regard.

Right now, I'm leaning toward going back to the original sound board unless I can at least get the ducking to stop. I really miss some of the missing original sounds too. I may sell the pinsound board, or I might just hang onto it in case the sound board fails on any of my WPC games.

Thanks for your post. There was a lot of interesting information in here.

#1323 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

Set ducking_sfx to 80 or higher. 100 would turn it off completely and that may be even better for you. voice should probably be 60-80 range and jingle 0-15.

Experiment and see if you can find something that works!

#1324 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

So, hope you weren't offended by my comments. To be clear, I actually like a lot of things about the other orchestrations you published, but I have some OCD tendencies and it really irritates me if small things change in ways I don't like. Even though I like a lot of the other music packages better in general, the little quirks and differences vs the original sounds irritate me too much. The change that really messes up the experience for me on my particular speakers is the start of multiball. The new music begins playing immediately, and its almost impossible to hear the police officer dialog that plays. I also really miss the adrenaline pumping SFX during the sequence, and the police sirens that used to go off as the balls are released from the lock.
Anyway, everyone's preferences will be different here. I'm sure a lot of people like the changes better.
What I was really hoping for with this board was to be able to keep the original sounds/callouts completely in tact, but get upgraded music. Unfortunately, since the original sound package isn't entirely accurate, I can't just use that as a starting point and add my own music (furthermore, I have no idea how to use the software to edit anything either).
Regarding the 'ducking', what bothers me is that it seems fairly arbitrary when the music lowers and when it doesn't. One of the more noticeable places where this is a problem for me is after the game ends and the match animation plays. The game over music is playing, but for some reason when the SFX plays as the car drives by to reveal the match number, the music volume drops to near zero. This is really jarring since the car sound isn't very loud or important, and the music dropping out sounds like a malfunction. However, when most other car sounds play in game, the music is left alone. As such, I'm not sure whats special about this sound and why it drops the music out.
I guess I will try adding that .ini file to the flash drive. What settings for 'ducking' would match the behavior of the original board? I'd like things to sound as close to original as possible in that regard.
Right now, I'm leaning toward going back to the original sound board unless I can at least get the ducking to stop. I really miss some of the missing original sounds too. I may sell the pinsound board, or I might just hang onto it in case the sound board fails on any of my WPC games.

The ducking is incredibly simple to change, either using the config.ini file, or the PinSound Studio, definitely try that before you go back to the original board!

#1325 5 years ago

So trying to make a custom orchestration for SST.

Couple of questions, there are 140 different folders in the voice folder. I'll probably only change 10-20 of them. do I need to keep all the other folders that I don't change (I'm assuming that I do, but not sure).

Also, in the music folder, there are 40 different folders, but most of them have the exact same sound file in them.... is that normal and how do I handle that... I guess put the replacement track in each folder, but that will make the file huge.

one other question - the 2.1 harness is $20???? seriously ???? can't I just add the second speaker to the current molex connector? has anyone done this? If not, I guess I can build a new harness with this https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1599

#1326 5 years ago
Quoted from Scorch:

Couple of questions, there are 140 different folders in the voice folder. I'll probably only change 10-20 of them. do I need to keep all the other folders that I don't change (I'm assuming that I do, but not sure).
Also, in the music folder, there are 40 different folders, but most of them have the exact same sound file in them.... is that normal and how do I handle that... I guess put the replacement track in each folder, but that will make the file huge.

Keep everything you don't change, unless you are positive the game is not using it.

It takes some trial and error, but you can probably figure out which music track it is using. With pinsound studio you can playback a gameplay recording, or the easier, but slightly time consuming way, is to just keep swapping stuff and testing it on the machine.

I actually made audio files of me saying numbers and loaded it up in the game so I could be sure which folders were used. Lethal Weapon 3 definitely has some unused duplicate music files and call outs.

#1327 5 years ago
Quoted from Scorch:

one other question - the 2.1 harness is $20???? seriously ???? can't I just add the second speaker to the current molex connector? has anyone done this? If not, I guess I can build a new harness with this https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1599

Don’t remove anything! Even if a sound or music doesn’t seem to be used, sometimes there is a certain combination of events that causes it to play. Occasionally there is a sound that was written out of the game software, but anyway just don’t mess with it!

I was Pretty mad about the $20 for the stereo harness too, but - it’s a pain to build them nicely, and if you buy the speaker upgrade, they come included

#1328 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Set ducking_sfx to 80 or higher. 100 would turn it off completely and that may be even better for you. voice should probably be 60-80 range and jingle 0-15.
Experiment and see if you can find something that works!

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The ducking is incredibly simple to change, either using the config.ini file, or the PinSound Studio, definitely try that before you go back to the original board!

So, I tried editing the ducking settings. The problem I'm having though is that it looks like some random sound effects are classified as 'jingles'. In particular, the 'police sounds' in the jingle folder are what are bothering me in game. One of them (police sound 3) plays randomly during gameplay, and at the end of the game and in a few other spots. Since this is classified as a jingle, despite being used as a fairly standard sound, it abruptly interrupts music. I tried just getting rid of the ducking on jingles (and setting it to a high number), but that doesn't work either since then all of the other jingles play over the music which sounds terrible.

Is it possible to 'reclassify' the sounds and move some of these sounds out of the jingles category, or are the sounds stuck where they are?

Also, if you know, how does the original WPC sound board manage this? Did they have 'ducking' there too?

I also ran into some other weird bugs today with the pinsound board. If the game goes into attract mode and fades the music down, sometimes the music gets stuck at a really low volume until I reboot the entire pinball machine. I don't have enough runtime on the board yet to determine how frequent it is though.

#1329 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

Is it possible to 'reclassify' the sounds and move some of these sounds out of the jingles category, or are the sounds stuck where they are?

Yes just move them to the other folder. Its that simple.

#1330 5 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Yes just move them to the other folder. Its that simple.

I believe you need to move the folder which contains the actual file out of the jingle folder In addition to the files themselves.

Also if it's just A handful of sounds that are troublesome,
You
Can add a file that should be named "gain.txt" in the folder
Alongside the actual sound .WAV
File. Inside the gain.txt file, put the number 8. Then try the game. If it's not quiet enough, Lower the number to 6 or 7.

The gain.txt file plays that particular sound quieter or louder. The value can be from 0 to 20, and 10 is the normal volume

#1331 5 years ago
Quoted from Scorch:

Please report if you have any missing sounds to the pinsound guys.

I've been struggling getting my pinsound in Lost in Space to play the all the expected sounds. For some reason it just doesnt play some sounds even though there are present in the appropriate pinsound folders. Its a deal breaker for this game as the missing sounds are important ones like the start of robot multiball and the condition red, green, yellow callouts.

They are working on it for me but I'm curious if it's an issue with other whitestar games or just Lost in Space.

#1332 5 years ago

I purchased my Pinsound+ board this April, what follows is my approximate 90 day review. The board is of nice build quality, whether it is worth $400, well who knows. My feeling is it is pricey. It does have stereo output which I have wired for stereo. The card also has a dual rca aux out which I use for my external subwoofer.

I purchased a headphone station while I was at Pinfest for $50 and while it is nice to have the headphone option I find that the volume levels are low even after adjusting the volume on the card and the headphone station itself. The location of the headphone station, on top of one of the leg brackets, is not ideal either. I purchased a pinnovator door headphone unit and will be experimenting with that on another of my machines (not pinsound compatible).

While at Pinfest in May I did talk to the Pinsound guy about the varying volume levels that I was experiencing from each call out and sound effect. He said that a new version of the Pinsound Studio would be released soon and would help that issue. I offered to even beta test it for him, as I work in software, and sent him a couple emails but as of now no reply to my emails on status of the new software. I did have a speaker pop issue that they were able to help me with, ends up it was one of my custom sound files, so kudos to them for the help on this.

I purchased this board for my LOTR (Whitestar) which has notoriously poor audio quality. I also upgraded the speakers to Flipper Fidelity. I spent a considerable amount of time working on my own mix, estimated 50 hours. I used the original, OSD Mix, the Wool LOTR mix, and sourced some of my own sounds. I 'remastered' all sounds through Audacity. Some of the original sounds I deemed worthy of re-mixing into stereo while others I kept mono and adjusted the levels manually. Around 700+ files that I scrubbed manually. I then would load my mix in, play through some games and make notes on volume levels of specific sound files. I then added gain.txt files to sounds that were too loud or too soft. In some cases I even re-scrubbed the file or looked for a replacement. I should note that I could not get pinsound studio to create the sound mix for me so I would zip the files with each new version of my mix and place only the zip file on my USB and let the sound card unpack and do the work.

Based on other feedback and talking with pinsiders it does seem that Whitestar systems pose a challenge for the pinsound+ board volume levels compared to other systems. Sound volume variances are less but still exist. I have tweaked the music volume settings as well. I am hoping that when the new pinsound studio software is released that it will help with this.

While LOTR is a prime candidate for the pinsound+ board, the task is not for the faint of heart. For me, it was good hobby time tinkering and I continue to work on my mix to my liking. There are other solutions for other systems like Stern SAM with pinball browser and there is some cool work being done within the confines of those configs. I am running custom sounds on both my ST & POTC.

#1333 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

Oh, no offense at all. Personally, I've got mine tweaked with the sound and callouts are perfect in my setup. I've not taken the time to do it, but at some point I might attempt to extract the originals myself to see if I can capture more than what my source file has in it (whoever originally posted the default orchestration). If I ever do, I can easily create an orchestration with all original callouts and FX, but just change the music. Maybe if someone else wants to step up to the plate, we could expedite the process?

#1334 5 years ago

I have a Pinsound+ Running in an Elvis of a friend which is Whitestar to. Replaced all songs with cd quality and added some. No issues on sound volume that i am aware of.

Only issue is that many times I had to boot twice as after first boot the bass was not there. Just updated to latest firmware and don’t know yet if that issue is solved.

#1335 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Oh, no offense at all. Personally, I've got mine tweaked with the sound and callouts are perfect in my setup. I've not taken the time to do it, but at some point I might attempt to extract the originals myself to see if I can capture more than what my source file has in it (whoever originally posted the default orchestration). If I ever do, I can easily create an orchestration with all original callouts and FX, but just change the music. Maybe if someone else wants to step up to the plate, we could expedite the process?

That would be really great, but don't feel any obligation to do it on my account.

I'd be willing to help, but I'm not really sure I'd be of any help since I don't really know anything about this. I could at least offer testing support.

So far, here is what I've noticed is different with the pinsound 'default' sound package versus the original board:
-Missing extra ball sound (nothing plays when extra ball is awarded)
-Tire screeching sound that plays on first & second multiball lock (and other spots) is replaced by a different sound. It sounds more like one of the gear shift noises
-Weird ducking issues with some SFX which are classified as stingers (police noise 3 for example)

There are definitely a few other discrepancies as well, but I can't put my finger on them. I'll try recording some footage of the game with the original board and compare it to the pinsound, when I get a chance.

#1336 5 years ago

I got a WHOLE bunch of PMs asking about what USB drive to upgrade to -

For those who don’t know the history of this- there are several outstanding mixes out there for PinSound games - in particular is the amazing Indiana Jones mix by Endprodukt. The mix has a million callouts and CD quality orchestra sound (stereo!). But on a lot of boards, it can exhibit delays in the sounds - e.g. you’ll be playing a game, drain, and THEN the game plays the sound for the last thing you did with that ball that just drained. Frustrating to say the least.

Well. I am proud to say we’ve identified this particular problem as definitely related to the speed of the USB drive installed to the board. I bought several super-fast usb drives and tested them on IJ and on Twilight zone (which does not typically exhibit delays)

It worked. No delays after several games, quick plays, long plays, and by a player much better than me.

Of note is that the stock USB drive that comes with the board is .. pretty much a piece of crap. Get rid of it!

Here is the link to the killer drive:
SanDisk Extreme CZ80 16GB USB 3.0...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KT7DOR0

#1337 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

So far, here is what I've noticed is different with the pinsound 'default' sound package versus the original board:
-Missing extra ball sound (nothing plays when extra ball is awarded)
-Tire screeching sound that plays on first & second multiball lock (and other spots) is replaced by a different sound. It sounds more like one of the gear shift noises
-Weird ducking issues with some SFX which are classified as stingers (police noise 3 for example)

If you are missing sounds, open the project in pinsound studio. It will give you a list of missing sounds with corresponding numbers after. These numbers represent a folder on the usb drive for each sound missing. When I was remaking the Sega Frankenstein audio I had the same issues, missing sounds that I knew was supposed to be there. I contacted pinsound via Facebook messenger, sent them the list of missing files, and they sent me a list of foldernames to put the missing sounds in.

Now, you can't just create a folder with the missing file number yourself and put it on the corresponding category folder. That won't work. They have some sort of algorithm to define the actual foldernames. I guess it a secret of the trade.

#1338 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

If you are missing sounds, open the project in pinsound studio. It will give you a list of missing sounds with corresponding numbers after. These numbers represent a folder on the usb drive for each sound missing. When I was remaking the Sega Frankenstein audio I had the same issues, missing sounds that I knew was supposed to be there. I contacted pinsound via Facebook messenger, sent them the list of missing files, and they sent me a list of foldernames to put the missing sounds in.
Now, you can't just create a folder with the missing file number yourself and put it on the corresponding category folder. That won't work. They have some sort of algorithm to define the actual foldernames. I guess it a secret of the trade.

You must decode the sound structure from the original sound ROM files (something which I have read about, but not performed myself).

#1339 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazzard:

They used to correspond. You used to be able to use Pinsound audio packages with Visual Pinball without running PinSound Studio. They changed it all a while back. Its super annoying because the original numbers kinda made some sense. Luckily I still have the original LW3 and DESW audio packs.

My LW3 is currently running with the original folder numbers, I hope the new firmware doesn't break that.

#1340 5 years ago

Regarding the headphone output, i have in wall speakers in my gameroom which i thought would be very cool to wire the input to the stereo amp for the room. I have a stereo dongle convert to cat 5 which is about 60 feet from the amp. Problem is when i connect to the pin board i get horrible buzzing. When i remove from the pin jack i still get buzzing. Funny thing is when i connect to the headphone jack of my ipad it goes crystal clear. how can the ipad be so different. If a ground loop then it should not buzz when not connected to anything.

#1341 5 years ago
Quoted from DML1001:

Hi there, recovering Pinsound addict here lol I went through all of this 2 years ago.

I have a JD with a Pinsound board and Pinsound Speakers with 2.1 harness. I did download the original legacy files and play it only to notice that a few sounds were in fact missing. In order to fix this, you need to find a .psrec file of your game, in this case the Getaway. You can either find a copy online or create your own in your Pinsound USB while playing a game (to do this go to the config.ini and change psrec = true to Enable PSREC recording). Then load the .psrec file in Pinsound Studio and it will tell you exactly which sounds are missing such as "[Info] missing : 156 0x9c". In this example it is telling you that sound 156 is missing.

Then download the program called M1. Its an app used to play audio from Arcade and Pinball ROMS. You need to download the Getaway ROM, the whole game ROM not the sound ROMs, from IPDB. Play the ROM with M1 and you can then play all the sounds in order. Find the missing sound 156 and record it using a program Audacity. Then you can put the sound in the appropriate folder in the Pinsound files. voila thats it.

The other problem i found with the Legacy files is that sometimes they would put a sound in the wrong folder. I.e. if they put a SFX sound in a Jingle folder it can really change the way the sounds originally played. You can also use this to your advantage if you want to change the way certain audio and sounds interact with each other.

Make sure to read this for further information (its no longer on the Pinsound page so I had to find an archived version): https://web.archive.org/web/20160621012306/http://www.pinsound.org:80/sound-files-usage/
This information is CRUCIAL to understanding how the audio files and Pinsound works.
Note: you cannot add numbers to the folders. Meaning you cannot add sounds, only take away or replace sounds to games. Its because of the coding.

Good luck!

#1342 5 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

Hi there, recovering Pinsound addict here lol I went through all of this 2 years ago.
I have a JD with a Pinsound board and Pinsound Speakers with 2.1 harness. I did download the original legacy files and play it only to notice that a few sounds were in fact missing. In order to fix this, you need to find a .psrec file of your game, in this case the Getaway. You can either find a copy online or create your own in your Pinsound USB while playing a game (to do this go to the config.ini and change psrec = true to Enable PSREC recording). Then load the .psrec file in Pinsound Studio and it will tell you exactly which sounds are missing such as "[Info] missing : 156 0x9c". In this example it is telling you that sound 156 is missing.
Then download the program called M1. Its an app used to play audio from Arcade and Pinball ROMS. You need to download the Getaway ROM, the whole game ROM not the sound ROMs, from IPDB. Play the ROM with M1 and you can then play all the sounds in order. Find the missing sound 156 and record it using a program Audacity. Then you can put the sound in the appropriate folder in the Pinsound files. voila thats it.
The other problem i found with the Legacy files is that sometimes they would put a sound in the wrong folder. I.e. if they put a SFX sound in a Jingle folder it can really change the way the sounds originally played. You can also use this to your advantage if you want to change the way certain audio and sounds interact with each other.
Make sure to read this for further information (its no longer on the Pinsound page so I had to find an archived version): https://web.archive.org/web/20160621012306/http://www.pinsound.org:80/sound-files-usage/
This information is CRUCIAL to understanding how the audio files and Pinsound works.
Note: you cannot add numbers to the folders. Meaning you cannot add sounds, only take away or replace sounds to games. Its because of the coding.
Good luck!

When using M1 with Getaway L-2 ROM from IPDB, a error is returned "Unknown/unsupported game get_l2.u6"

Actually, just figured out only L5 is supported. Downloaded M1 Bridge, and now I can play through the sounds.

#1343 5 years ago

Okay, so I got M1 installed & the M1 Bridge add-on along with associated files. Downloaded Getaway L5 (only version compatible) and went through every single sound (callouts excluded, as M1 doesn't seem to pull them out - or at least I don't know how). Anyway, not a single sound is missing from my source orchestration that I utilized as the basis for all of my customizations.

I'd be interested in understanding from those who have missing sounds if they are using L5 or some other ROM version. Personally, I run L2 in my Getaway but it seems like the L5 mapping still works. I know it is difficult to convey which sounds are missing, but if I could get some more clarity, maybe we can determine if they truly are missing or if they are there but not referencing correctly or something.

Also, one of my psrec files did show 5 missing sounds (all in a row). I verified and do not have them. However, when I played the sounds in M1 Bridge, those sound values are actually empty (i.e. no audio for those designated numbers).

#1344 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Okay, so I got M1 installed & the M1 Bridge add-on along with associated files. Downloaded Getaway L5 (only version compatible) and went through every single sound (callouts excluded, as M1 doesn't seem to pull them out - or at least I don't know how). Anyway, not a single sound is missing from my source orchestration that I utilized as the basis for all of my customization.
I'd be interested in understanding from those who have missing sounds if they are using L5 or some other ROM version. Personally, I run L2 in my Getaway but it seems like the L5 mapping still works. I know it is difficult to convey which sounds are missing, but if I could get some more clarity, maybe we can determine if they truly are missing or if they are there but not referencing correctly or something.
Also, one of my psrec files did show 5 missing sounds (all in a row). I verified and do not have them. However, when I played the sounds in M1 Bridge, those sound values are actually empty (i.e. no audio for those designated numbers).

That's odd. I am indeed running the L5 ROM (I had a L2 for a week, but I got the infinite multiball bug over 12 times in that period).

The two sounds I notice being missing are the extra ball sound and the tire screech sound. You can hear both of them in this video (not mine)

The extra ball plays at 58 seconds. The tire screech sound plays in several spots, one example is at 3:30 (as the car pulls up, just before the police officer dialog).

When I try the pinsound board, I have no sound play for an extra ball (the game is silent during that animation) and I have a different sound play for the tire screech (it sounds like the downshift sound). I'll see if I can get a video of what happens on the pinsound board tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for looking into this.

UPDATE:

OK, I did some more testing. I reloaded the original sound package, updated the firmware, and cleared out my config file on the pinsound board to make sure nothing I had on there was effecting things.

After listening carefully, I think that the 'tire screech' sound IS in fact playing, but there is another sound incorrectly playing over it at the same time. I tried starting multiball several times, and when the car arrives at donut heaven, I think I can hear the tire screech in the background as another sound plays. It sounds like an engine revving down, or shifting down. I can't be sure what sound it is. I'll see if I can record it, but its hard to film and operate the machine at the same time.

The extra ball sound might be working now though. I know I had 2 instances where it didn't play earlier, but I can't be sure what sound package I was trying at the time. It also might be situational, since I believe the times it didnt work the extra ball was a random award which I got after the map animation played.

The other thing I can confirm is definitely wrong with the 'stock' sound package on pinsound is that several of the police car SFX are playing as stingers, which kills the music. I figured out that the 'random' music dropouts were happening when the animation of a car crossing the DMD plays randomly during gameplay. This plays one of the police car sounds, which appears to be classified as a stinger since it abruptly pauses all other game sounds.

In the video I linked, you can see an example of the car crossing the DMD effect play at 0:29. A police car crosses the DMD display from right to left, and a quick siren sound plays. In the original game this just plays on top of the gameplay/music, but with the pinsound board it plays exclusively and overrides other sounds.

#1345 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Okay, so I got M1 installed & the M1 Bridge add-on along with associated files. Downloaded Getaway L5 (only version compatible) and went through every single sound (callouts excluded, as M1 doesn't seem to pull them out - or at least I don't know how). Anyway, not a single sound is missing from my source orchestration that I utilized as the basis for all of my customizations.

Mr_Tantrum, it sounds like you are on the right track. Make sure the .psrec file and the ROM you downloaded are using the same ROM Version (i.e. you are recording using L-5 in your machine and you downloaded the L-5 ROM to play on M1). As for blank files, it could be that they are placeholders or sounds that were in previous/future versions and are now missing. I know the Getaway ROMS in particular have sounds with cussing and swearing that were taken out for the final versions. They should be buried in there somewhere. The other thing that could be happening is that certain sounds are placed in the wrong folder (i.e. an SFX file is placed in the Jingle folder and so on). Make sure you know what each of those folders do and you might be able to diagnose the problem.

#1346 5 years ago

I've been kicking around two upgrades for my IJ... Pinsound or Color DMD, I had to pick one for now... I chose Pinsound... and holy shit! Pinsound on IJ, with Endprodukt re-mix will knock your effin socks off!!!!

I had upgraded my speakers with pinball pros years ago ... at the time I thought that was a decent upgrade but it didn't really impress me. Well... now with Pinsound ... my IJ audio is brilliant, rich and in-your-face awesome... not to mention it shakes the gameroom (not kidding)! Funny thing is I have a shaker in my IJ... the sub, when its cranked... actually shakes the cabinet as much as (probably more than) the shaker motor!

I couldn't stop and laughing ... some of the new call-outs are hysterical... the whole experience it was so intense and so awesome. A truly transformative upgrade.

If you have an IJ... and you love the game... this is a MUST HAVE!

#1347 5 years ago

Anyone here game to do a re-orchestration/remix mix for JD?

#1348 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I got a WHOLE bunch of PMs asking about what USB drive to upgrade to -
For those who don’t know the history of this- there are several outstanding mixes out there for PinSound games - in particular is the amazing Indiana Jones mix by Endprodukt. The mix has a million callouts and CD quality orchestra sound (stereo!). But on a lot of boards, it can exhibit delays in the sounds - e.g. you’ll be playing a game, drain, and THEN the game plays the sound for the last thing you did with that ball that just drained. Frustrating to say the least.
Well. I am proud to say we’ve identified this particular problem as definitely related to the speed of the USB drive installed to the board. I bought several super-fast usb drives and tested them on IJ and on Twilight zone (which does not typically exhibit delays)
It worked. No delays after several games, quick plays, long plays, and by a player much better than me.
Of note is that the stock USB drive that comes with the board is .. pretty much a piece of crap. Get rid of it!
Here is the link to the killer drive:
SanDisk Extreme CZ80 16GB USB 3.0...
amazon.com link »

I purchased this drive and it does not work. Sound is dead on my AF. Had to put back the original slow, delayed sound USB drive that came with the board.

#1349 5 years ago
Quoted from unlockpinball:

I purchased this drive and it does not work. Sound is dead on my AF. Had to put back the original slow, delayed sound USB drive that came with the board.

Can’t remember off the top of my head, bud did you reformat the drive with correct FAT format? I’ve used multiple sizes and brands when testing, and they all worked for me.

#1350 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Can’t remember off the top of my head, bud did you reformat the drive with correct FAT format? I’ve used multiple sizes and brands when testing, and they all worked for me.

Tried the reformat with drive to FAT32. Nothing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 85.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 189.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

There are 1,751 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-reviews-anyone/page/27?hl=cabuford and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.