pasted_image (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG

There are 1748 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 35.
#951 4 years ago

For my understanding PWM-Method is canceled and maybe oversized.
The extension port is placed in the middle of the board and you can switch two channels with it.
There are four pins in it, two pins for each channel.
For instance you can switch a shaker an channel A and/or a fog-machine or lightshow an channel B.
Both channel switch 5 volt.
A separate power supply is necessary not only for Indy... all pinball machines can get in trouble if the power supply is being overloaded and then they will reset or burn the connectors/wiring.
I bought my relay and rev limiter at ebay for a good price ~7 Euros each.

#952 4 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Nope, figured out the not booting problem. Still having the not recognizing the USB. And yes, I used two of the USB sticks I've been provided with my pinsound boards, plus a Sandisk.

Having the same problem in my IJ. USB work then USB not recognized. I am about to just put in the old sound card. Theses things are a pain in the a**. I have had bad boards, in a couple of games with a color DMD it causes problems because of power. They sound great if they work and stay working. That's not to say in a few very few that they don't seem to have a problem.

#953 4 years ago

Missing detection of USB is caused by the USB itself - I use another one that is more high grade.
The one delivered with the PinSound-Board is low cost scrap.
Another reason is instabile 12 volt power supply to the PinSound-Board and in game play sound often interrupts or USB flash drive is missing!
Since using separate power supply no more errors occur and PinSound-Board is working well.

#954 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Missing detection of USB is caused by the USB itself - I use another one that is more high grade.
The one delivered with the PinSound-Board is low cost scrap.
Another reason is instabile 12 volt power supply to the PinSound-Board and in game play sound often interrupts or USB flash drive is missing!
Since using separate power supply no more errors occur and PinSound-Board is working well.

Can you post the USB drive you used? Or a link or pic. Anything it's wearing me out.

#955 4 years ago

I use a small stick from Intenso Slim Line with 8 GB.

#956 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

I use a small stick from Intenso Slim Line with 8 GB.

Is it 3.0?

#957 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

The extension port is placed in the middle of the board and you can switch two channels with it.
For instance you can switch a shaker an channel A and/or a fog-machine or lightshow an channel B.
A separate power supply is necessary not only for Indy... all pinball machines can get in trouble if the power supply is being overloaded and then they will reset or burn the connectors/wiring.

Thank you for clarifying!

One thing I can not for the life of me figure out - what is a "rev limiter"?

#958 4 years ago

Where is the big news ? Is that not posted yet?

#959 4 years ago

USB is 2.0 only.

A rev limiter is a variable resistor for the shaker motor to decrease the voltage.
You can adjust how fast or with what rotational speed the motor should run.
My motor is able to turn 12.000 times a minute and to prevent damage of an disintegrating shaker unit I decide to limit the rotational speed.

#960 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Thanks for the info. I checked my pinsound board when I got home and found the connector, just above the pinsound logo. The pics on the pinsound website were too small to read.

I have a servo controller board from Tim's pinball mods that I want to use to trigger a servo when specific sounds are triggered. He also sells some small relay boards that might be useful for pinsound control.

https://www.timspinballmods.com/collections/mod-designer-tools

20170426_072911 (resized).jpg

#961 4 years ago

Yes, that's the right spot and you can see the notation A and B for the two channels.
Here you get the 5 volt you need to switch a relay for your Extension you want to control.

#962 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Yes, that's the right spot and you can see the notation A and B for the two channels.
Here you get the 5 volt you need to switch a relay for your Extension you want to control.

Good reading on this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-tame-cointakers-shaker-motor#post-2996602

It shows how to use an inexpensive PWM controller to fine tune your shaker motor.

#963 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

USB is 2.0 only.
A rev limiter is a variable resistor for the shaker motor to decrease the voltage.
You can adjust how fast or with what rotational speed the motor should run.
My motor is able to turn 12.000 times a minute and to prevent damage of an disintegrating shaker unit I decide to limit the rotational speed.

Oh ok thanks for the clarification - I see the potentiometer in your picture. Makes sense!

#964 4 years ago

I'm confused - is the shaker update allowing you to add any shaker to a game (like IJ)? Can someone explain what this shaker updates enables and the hardware required?

#965 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm confused - is the shaker update allowing you to add any shaker to a game (like IJ)? Can someone explain what this shaker updates enables and the hardware required?

Yes, this allows a shaker to be added to any pin that PinSound supports. It allows shaker effects to be associated with any sound so you can choose exactly when and where to have the shaker integrated. I don't believe it matters what brand/type of shaker it is; all the PinSound is doing is providing a trigger so a relay can activate the shaker.

#966 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

Yes, this allows a shaker to be added to any pin that PinSound supports. It allows shaker effects to be associated with any sound so you can choose exactly when and where to have the shaker integrated. I don't believe it matters what brand/type of shaker it is; all the PinSound is doing is providing a trigger so a relay can activate the shaker.

This is going to be awesome. I don't have any games w/ a shaker - I was looking at buying the Spooky shaker, but I wasn't sure if it had all the pieces. I guess I need to understand all the components better.

#967 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_M:

get the __ out of here - that's awesome! The other shaker for IJ was so hard to find b/c no longer made. Can someone who's done this already tell me what shaker to get and how to get it going?

I feel like this should be front page news.

#968 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

get the _ out of here - that's awesome! The other shaker for IJ was so hard to find b/c no longer made. Can someone who's done this already tell me what shaker to get and how to get it going?

The Pinsound bros are supposed to be working on instructions - but a couple posts above basically outlines what you need. There's no kit yet or instructions. The newest firmware technically supports it now though

#969 4 years ago

Ok I'll need to read more I guess. Are people just buying stern shakers - even for old machines?

#970 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Ok I'll need to read more I guess. Are people just buying stern shakers - even for old machines?

My understanding is that any shaker will work- they are all pretty much the same, except for the newer Stern ones seem to be different. I have been planning on getting the Spooky one that PBL carries

#971 4 years ago

I bought a cointaker red tremor designed for a stern sam system. It came with an interface board. It looks like a few fuses, some diodes and large 10 watt 1 ohm resistor. Should I still need this board for a pinsound setup using a relay board and a pwm controller?

20170426_233144 (resized).jpg

#972 4 years ago

You can build your own cheap customized shaker for any Pinball like I did.
Just look some posts before, it's not so difficult.

#973 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I agree! And you know what else? Pinsound has a harness now where you can bypass the super-rare WPC95 Audio/Video boards altogether!

(I'm waiting for my Pinsound board and parts to do just that on my Champion Pub)

That's awesome news too. Those A/V boards are as rare as pope turds.

#974 4 years ago

Now somebody please publish sound files with shaker instructions included to games!

#975 4 years ago

I really want to add a shaker to my DW and MB ... omg pinball budget is escalating...

Pinsound brothers! Guys, post the big news!!!

#976 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I really want to add a shaker to my DW and MB ... omg pinball budget is escalating...
Pinsound brothers! Guys, post the big news!!!

+1

#977 4 years ago

Hey guys, here are some news regarding the shaker support

The latest firmware does support the shaker (triggered by a relay), but it's not the latest code we will release for this feature as we're definitely looking forward to implementing a PWM driver.

One of our customer has connected its own relay board without good electrical knowledges and he has destroyed its PinSound board.

Thus, we have decided to develop and sell fully plug'n play PinSound shaker kit, with everything needed to connect it on your pinball machine. Meantime, as you can understand, we'll not support connecting any external device on this extension port.

That means that you will be able to add a shaker to any PinSound compatible pinball machine, even if a shaker is not originally supported by the original ROM. The PWM driver will allow you to fine tune any shaker event and also to adapt the global power applied to your shaker (low, medium, high for example).

We'll keep you informed as soon when the first shaker kits are ready.

Thanks for your continuous support!

#978 4 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

Thus, we have decided to develop and sell fully plug'n play PinSound shaker kit, with everything needed to connect it on your pinball machine.

Very nice!

#979 4 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

The latest firmware does support the shaker (triggered by a relay), but it's not the latest code we will release for this feature as we're definitely looking forward to implementing a PWM driver.
One of our customer has connected its own relay board without good electrical knowledges and he has destroyed its PinSound board.
Thus, we have decided to develop and sell fully plug'n play PinSound shaker kit, with everything needed to connect it on your pinball machine. Meantime, as you can understand, we'll not support connecting any external device on this extension port.
That means that you will be able to add a shaker to any PinSound compatible pinball machine, even if a shaker is not originally supported by the original ROM. The PWM driver will allow you to fine tune any shaker event and also to adapt the global power applied to your shaker (low, medium, high for example).

I think this is a genius idea... you guys are making super quality parts. I am a big fan of the speakers and obviously the board too... hope the kit doesn't take too long! I'd be happy to test it for you

#980 4 years ago

Hey Pinsound gentlemen!

Whitestar update please

#981 4 years ago

Is that the big news? Just wondering if there's more, not saying it's not good news.

#982 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Hey Pinsound gentlemen!
Whitestar update please

My LOTR is so ready for this! Come on PinSound make it happen!

#983 4 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

Thats actually kind of dissappointing since the last info said this firmware would support a shaker install. I think producucing a kit is a great idea!

#984 4 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

Thats actually kind of dissappointing since the last info said this firmware would support a shaker install. I think producucing a kit is a great idea!

The latest *does* support a shaker. What they're saying is they want to avoid any catastophes with people installing hardware and frying the board. Plus the next FW update will support PWM, which is a huge step forward. Right now I think you trigger the shaker on and off, full blast, but the board will eventually be able to do low/med/high 'shakes'

1 week later
#985 4 years ago

I feel this is a required option for this mod. I put in a power supply to power the Pinsound board. It was cutting out when I took it to the Atlanta show last year. This should stop that. Note: I finished installing it after this picture was taken, just showing HOW I did it.

IMG_9922 (resized).JPG

#986 4 years ago

Something to consider: I've used Rob Kahr's daughter boards on games with Pinsound, to keep the 5V stable. Works every time, and at $30 WAY less work and $ than adding a secondary PS

#987 4 years ago

Has anyone found a documentation of how the config.ini file works? My music is WAY too loud and I want to change the voice volume and add better ducking, but I need to know the right syntax.

When I make those changes in Pinsound studio, then hit 'save' I don't know where the changes are saved . I also see in the logs I am getting an error opening /documents/pinsoundstudio/config.ini

... whichis occurring because the file doesn't exist

#988 4 years ago

I've been on the fence about these boards, the price is one thing, but then having to install another PSU, is it really worth all that trouble and $500?

#989 4 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I've been on the fence about these boards, the price is one thing, but then having to install another PSU, is it really worth all that trouble and $500?

You don't need an external PSU, but it is really helpful to have a good solid power board. Adding this mod (it doesn't really take that much power) can highlight issues with your Powerboard which are tolerable or not noticeable otherwise.

The good news is it's not $500. I am seeing it for $360 pretty much everywhere. Get the Kahr board ($30) and you're set.

And OH YES it is worth it. Getting to change any sound on any WPC game to whatever you want? The mixes that are already out are pretty amazing (check YouTube). Transforms games like TZ, DW, CFTBL, the getaway and ANY other game

#990 4 years ago

I've owned three pins with color DMD and pinsound and no additional power and had NO problems. Don't think it's required it's not.

#991 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anyone found a documentation of how the config.ini file works? My music is WAY too loud and I want to change the voice volume and add better ducking, but I need to know the right syntax.

When I make those changes in Pinsound studio, then hit 'save' I don't know where the changes are saved . I also see in the logs I am getting an error opening /documents/pinsoundstudio/config.ini

Seems like the PinSound guys only gave/give their config/firmware documentation to Endprodukt and... maybe that's it? Ducking has never been documented on their site (shame b/c it works really well), nor any info on the 'custom rules' mentioned in the last two firmware updates, nor shaker info.

I had to grab Endprodukt's IJ remix to take a look at his config.ini for the ducking syntax. I don't use PinSound Studio so I just manually edited those lines in my config.ini. See: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-tz#post-2378381

Hopefully, before another firmware update comes and goes, PinSound will fully document how to config and use their board, because it really is a tremendous product.

#992 4 years ago

i use an ATX PSU from an old computer i had.....now i have all the power i need for PIN2DMD,Pinsound, all kind of LED lights and stuff....

And no more humming.....

#993 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Seems like the PinSound guys only gave/give their config/firmware documentation to Endprodukt and... maybe that's it? Ducking has never been documented on their site (shame b/c it works really well), nor any info on the 'custom rules' mentioned in the last two firmware updates, nor shaker info.
I had to grab Endprodukt's IJ remix to take a look at his config.ini for the ducking syntax. I don't use PinSound Studio so I just manually edited those lines in my config.ini. See: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-tz#post-2378381
Hopefully, before another firmware update comes and goes, PinSound will fully document how to config and use their board, because it really is a tremendous product.

I'd be happy to write the documentation; it's not like it's that much in terms of features.

The USB drive could have a commented config.ini file by default- I think they could add that in to the firmware. I know they have a ton of updates on the way and I think they're only a 2-man operation, PLUS they have all the hardware stuff to deal with; obviously it takes time

So I've seen the linked thread, and I get the ducking settings - any idea how to change the volume of voice/jingle/sfx globally?

I know you can do it in Pinsound studio but I can't figure out an actual statement that works

#994 4 years ago

So I'm now getting some weird silences and delays in my sound on my desw. It does have a topper and led strip and color DMD. I'm guessing that's too much draw (I bought it this way). The weird thing is there is already an auxiliary switching power supply installed. I plugged it into the pinsound and no difference.

Does the daughterboard trick work on data east too? Or is that only for wpc?

Should I try a different psu?

#995 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So I'm now getting some weird silences and delays in my sound on my desw. It does have a topper and led strip and color DMD. I'm guessing that's too much draw (I bought it this way). The weird thing is there is already an auxiliary switching power supply installed. I plugged it into the pinsound and no difference.

Shoot, you know I think the daughter board is only for WPC games

#996 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Something to consider: I've used Rob Kahr's daughter boards on games with Pinsound, to keep the 5V stable. Works every time, and at $30 WAY less work and $ than adding a secondary PS

The Pinsound runs on 12V, how does stabilizing the 5V do anything? When I had it at the show, with a ColorDMD (also 12V), it worked for a while but stopped. I swapped back in the original sound board and all was well. It wasn't rebooting (the reason for a 5V watchdog board), just no sound. Probably because there were a lot of machines on the AC circuit. When I got it home and put it back in, it's worked for almost a year now. In addition, this would take the stress off of the game for the ColorDMD if I choose to wire it in as well. This game has original boards in it. Also - The power supply I put in was about $30.00.

#997 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Pinsound has a very slight delay in sound so fyi in the event it's very minor that's normal

#998 4 years ago

Although not a review, I would be remiss if I didn't post about the outstanding customer service provided by Nicolas PinSound

I had two boards that had worked previously in other pins that I owned, and subsequently sold but did not include the pinsound boards. I eventually decided to install into my Shadow, neither one would work, kept getting an error. Had my buddy try in a couple of his B/W pins. Again no luck.

Through this Nicolas was always quick to reply to my questions and concerns. Eventually, he told me to ship them back to him and he would send me out new ones once received. Not only did he do that, he through in a nice Pinsound T-Shirt to boot.

So, not only is the pinsound board a game changer (for anyone sitting on the fence), but their Customer Service is also top notch.

#999 4 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

The Pinsound runs on 12V, how does stabilizing the 5V do anything? When I had it at the show, with a ColorDMD (also 12V), it worked for a while but stopped. I swapped back in the original sound board and all was well. It wasn't rebooting (the reason for a 5V watchdog board), just no sound. Probably because there were a lot of machines on the AC circuit. When I got it home and put it back in, it's worked for almost a year now. In addition, this would take the stress off of the game for the ColorDMD if I choose to wire it in as well. This game has original boards in it. Also - The power supply I put in was about $30.00.

Aah you're right - I haven't had any issues with my 12V I guess, but have the 5V resets on several games. I can only confirm that my issues with the board go away when I use the daughterboard. YMMV I suppose!

#1000 4 years ago

So what's the crack with whitestar support? Cheers!

There are 1748 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside