Topic Stats

• 1,708 posts
  • 268 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 72 days ago by jrawlinson_2000
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 77 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.05.58 PM (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1947.JPG

There are 1708 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 35.
#551 4 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

You made a mistake for the pot plug, near the usb drive. The red wire should be on the top, not on the bottom.
That's why your pot volume control in my cabinet do not work.

I guess the plug is upside down b/c I didn't wire the connector (red wire on the bottom) - which is the plug you're talking about - not the ribbon cable right? Will flip it once the machine is done converting as I'm trying that way instead of doing converting myself to see if it helps with delay.

Thanks!

#552 4 years ago
Quoted from sc204:

Thanks I tried that one. Didn't like the combination of original voices and attempts at new voices.

If it's only the voices you don't like, just swap them out for the original ones. That's the beauty of the Pinsound architecture. Copy and paste.

#553 4 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

You made a mistake for the pot plug, near the usb drive. The red wire should be on the top, not on the bottom.
That's why your pot volume control in my cabinet do not work.

So this worked! Volume control in my cab now works!

The delay is still there (mostly on pop bumpers and sling short hits) - any suggestions? I'm actually using your mix (thanks!) and now that volume work, when I go to lower or make higher it seems to tell the machine to change mixes as I can hear the cue and then the sound is back on. Thing is I don't have any other mixes besides the one from you on the USB.

What's weird is that it will say wake up! in the begging AND have the default voice play at the same time (of all the bands....) like it's playing both. Also slash guitar riff when you pick his option at startup is not played and the new mode music is. Any idea? I also liked how the old mix would cut right to the heavy part of welcome to the jungle when the ball hits the top pop bumpers on the initial plunge as opposed to what's happening now which is play jungle from start no matter what. How do I get it to change instantly once the ball hits the top pop bumpers like the original?

#554 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

I've got a PinSound with Flipper Fidelity speakers in my GNR, and a Polk PSW10 connected to the cabinet speaker with no problems. First thing I'd do is try your sub on one of your other machines; make sure there's not a problem with the sub. If your sub has one of those power-on-signal features, maybe turn that off and see if it makes a difference.

I have the same sub, and when I read your suggestion I was thinking "oh jeez, I never thought of that! Such a simple fix!" but it turned out not to be the fix (though I'm glad you mentioned it, I made sure it's set to always on now, thanks!).

I've tried every wiring configuration I can think of, and every setting on the sub for each of those wirings, with the stereo harness and with the factory wiring...nothing. I either get no sound at all (until I disconnect the sub), or both speakers work, but no sub, or one of the speakers works but no sub. No matter the wiring, if I disconnect the sub and re-connect it, I get sound from everything. Could the sub be feeding back into the machine and causing it to "trip" in some way?

Well, as I wrote that I thought "I have a couple unpowered speakers sitting around, lets see what happens when I connect into that instead of the sub. Wouldn't you know it, that fixed it! It boots up with no problems, sound out of the backbox, cabinet and the external speaker. So, what's happening here, and why doesn't it happen with my Star Trek (which is also connected into the powered sub)? Anyone got any ideas?

#555 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

So, what's happening here, and why doesn't it happen with my Star Trek (which is also connected into the powered sub)? Anyone got any ideas?

Might be worth a post on the main forum. I'm curious to know too.

#556 4 years ago

I will also add that some sounds appear to just not play randomly. For example, when I drain a ball, the drain sound plays 90% of the time. No sound is playing when it says match even though I know it's in there. GnR btw. anyone else notice this?

Other examples - slash riff for game modes or even the game over screen....they work 90% of the time but one time it won't play at all??!!

#557 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I will also add that some sounds appear to just not play randomly. For example, when I drain a ball, the drain sound plays 90% of the time. No sound is playing when it says match even though I know it's in there. GnR btw. anyone else notice this?
Other examples - slash riff for game modes or even the game over screen....they work 90% of the time but one time it won't play at all??!!

1 - You should try with another USB flash drive. You could have bad luck with yours. If it's the same result, the problem is not the USB.
2 - I think there is still a bug (sounds not played sometimes, like your description), in the lastest firmware for D/E. I know they are working on the firmware these days.

3 - for the "wake up" AND have the default voice at the same time. You are right, doen't sound very well. You can just remove the 00188 sound (of all the band...). But you might change the 00006 music (wake up) by another one. Just compare to the gnr1994 files.
4 - I will check for delays at home for the sounds for the bumpers and slingshots ...
5 - slash riff : at home it is well played. i don't understand the pb. Check the jingle file 000155, and its lenght. Try to understand, how the sounds are organized, under pinsound studio, then you'll be able to make the changes to have what you want.

#558 4 years ago

appreciate the help julien. Your mix is what i used to start mine and it was also very helpful. Will share my updates soon.

btw - I'm using the usb supplied by pinsound....wish it was usb 3. might try another to see results.

#559 4 years ago

I have 4 installed Pinsound boards now in TZ, TAFG, STTNG and DW.

I haven't upgraded any speakers (plenty of bass already), and only did the speaker rewiring in TZ. I'm not too bothered, as 90% of the improvement comes from the board itself.

STTNG has some amazing reorchestrations. TAFG it's lovely to hear movie music. TZ is the best with the Granner DCS soundtrack, though I like the horror one too. DW is the most disappointing, simply because the reorchestration with modern theme music etc isn't complete yet- but it's getting there.

I'm delighted at how these boards reinvigorate enjoyment of these (let's be honest) old machines, and really bring them to life again with CD quality, different sound. Having multiple soundtracks installed at once (selectable) is awesome too. Choice is so important, and going forward what is really needed is more content on the community forum. Then this product will really take off IMO.

#560 4 years ago

Anyone know the title track in GnR when it plays "Match" before the girl that takes her top off is shown? I want to find it on my file but can't and it randomly plays that one (sometimes yes, sometimes no) so wanted to check it out.

#561 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Anyone know the title track in GnR when it plays "Match" before the girl that takes her top off is shown? I want to find it on my file but can't and it randomly plays that one (sometimes yes, sometimes no) so wanted to check it out.

I dropped a note on this over in the GNR PinSound thread in the interest of somewhat un-hijacking this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/guns-and-roses-pinsound-board-from-france

#562 4 years ago

so I'm pretty much done with my mix for GNR and it sounds great when played right. I say when b/c unless it's a bug for DE games, some clips will either not play all the time they are cued (as I mentioned above) but now I'm seeing songs that don't actually go on and the main theme will just keep on playing. For example, hit the 3 ball axel mode and instead of going to the custom mode song it just continues playing the main song that was playing before I went into mode play.

I'm going to try another USB stick - was using the pinsound provided one. Really hope this is just a bug or user error b/c the unpredictability is leading to things like it playing a short song that is in a long spot (like a main spot) which is resulting in it cutting off and restarting which is just jarring.

Sound quality is abosoluetly fantastic though and thats with my pinball pro speakers already in which was a huge step from stock. Pinsound is a huge step in quality too b/c the music is just so clear. whoever suggested to use a usb extension cord to avoid having to go into the backbox to change music is a genius. thanks again.

EDIT - seemed like keeping the key door closed and not opening during game helped but still experienced randomness. I know it's bugging out b/c when it picks and incorrect song for the slot, the machine will not play the drain sound. Anyone else experiencing this and if so, any solutions?

#563 4 years ago

a few answers/ideas :

1 - If you use an extension cord for the usb (good idea), but it might create a short delay, try without. I Never tried before.
2 - AXl 3 ball is not starting a custom music but the 000030, check this with pinsound studio
3 - Please record to a psrec file your game while playing: to do this, use the config.ini file, and read all the infos on their websites. Then play this PSrec file on your computer using Pinsound Studio, and compare. Tell me about the results or send me your psrec.
4 - On my latest mix at home, i changed yesterday the bumpers sounds (000123, 000124, 000126...) and i did not notice any delays (i am using an older firmware actually)
5 - as i already said, there is still a short bug for DataEast, it can (must ?) be your problem. (random sounds or music not played) Just wait a few days for a new one...
6 - Are you sure you do not have missing files for your mix. Again, try it with Pinsound Studio. I think the door closed or not do not change anything.

#564 4 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

a few answers/ideas :
1 - If you use an extension cord for the usb (good idea), but it might create a short delay, try without. I Never tried before.
2 - AXl 3 ball is not starting a custom music but the 000030, check this with pinsound studio
3 - Please record to a psrec file your game while playing: to do this, use the config.ini file, and read all the infos on their websites. Then play this PSrec file on your computer using Pinsound Studio, and compare. Tell me about the results or send me your psrec.
4 - On my latest mix at home, i changed yesterday the bumpers sounds (000123, 000124, 000126...) and i did not notice any delays (i am using an older firmware actually)
5 - as i already said, there is still a short bug for DataEast, it can (must ?) be your problem. (random sounds or music not played) Just wait a few days for a new one...
6 - Are you sure you do not have missing files for your mix. Again, try it with Pinsound Studio. I think the door closed or not do not change anything.

Thanks! Here are my thoughts (#2, 4, 5 and 6 are important):

1) The (slight) delay was there before the extension although good idea as I would have thought the same!
2) Not sure I follow your comment here. One time it didn't but other times it did. I think it has to do with the bug you mention. The lottery sound during match is the worst culprit - only plays 10% of the time.
3) Will look into this - similar to #2
4) Sent you a PM for those updated sounds to send to me.
5) So there is a bug that is causing certain sounds to not play or play in the wrong spots and it's NOT my issue only? Good to hear!
6) I used your mix as the base and then just added in my own (switched out Coma with a different file that plays the doctors talking, etc). I never used Pinsound studios for anything. Did I overlook something critical but not doing this?

#565 4 years ago

Pinsound Studio, after 1 hour playing with the psrec files, is easy to use. And if you want to really understand how a mix is working and whitch sounds are played you will have to. (specially for jingle).

There could be some silence at the beginning of the sounds causing a sort of slight delay (or a silence at the end).

If you change a sound, and the lenght of the new sound is different, the result will hear different, sometimes horrible. Very easy to try/correct all the sounds with Pinsound Studio. Of course, if you just replace a music file with a new one, no problem.

#566 4 years ago

I can confirm the random Data East issues (missed cues and delays) on my SWDE.

It's the only thing holding me back from finishing up my mix at this point. Trying to figure out what isn't working the way you intend when clips don't happen consistently is a pain.

Hopefully, new firmware will make an improvement.

#567 4 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

I can confirm the random Data East issues (missed cues and delays) on my SWDE.
It's the only thing holding me back from finishing up my mix at this point. Trying to figure out what isn't working the way you intend when clips don't happen consistently is a pain.
Hopefully, new firmware will make an improvement.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! Julien mentioned the same. Not sure there is anything we can do on our end to fix the missed or delayed calls until it's fixed. I will ask the devs when. Too bad as this product is excellent otherwise!

#568 4 years ago

My Judge Dredd mix is finished, though I'm still having a few issues with some of the explosion sounds. In Pinsound Studio they all play through fine, but in machine they always stop all the other sounds while they play. I changed the type of sound and that fixed it in PSS, but it's like it didn't update it in machine. Strange business.

#569 4 years ago

Today we released a new firmware, you can check it out here: http://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-board-firmware/
Sorry for the missing sounds (for Data East users), it was quite a nasty bug

#570 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick fix. I'll report back if this resolves my SWDE issues. The changelog on your site mentions other miscellaneous fixes, so I'll install on my other games (IJ & TZ) as well.

Does the .bin file remove itself after extracting on the flash drive or should I manually remove it after the firmware is updated confirmation to prevent it from trying to install again at the next boot?

#571 4 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

Today we released a new firmware, you can check it out here: http://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-board-firmware/
Sorry for the missing sounds (for Data East users), it was quite a nasty bug

Oooo... neato.

Any info/docs on the "custom rules?" I see they're improved in this FW, but never even saw any info on what/how to implement them when they were introduced in the previous FW.

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Oooo... neato.
Any info/docs on the "custom rules?" I see they're improved in this FW, but never even saw any info on what/how to implement them when they were introduced in the previous FW.

I'd also love toknow how this feature works. When the last firmware version came out in Sept. I asked about it on their forum and got nothing but crickets. I love the pinsound board but I gotta say their documentation is not very thorough. It baffles me why they go through the effort to add features and improvements but then they dont communicate how to use them to their users.

#573 4 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I'd also love toknow how this feature works. When the last firmware version came out in Sept. I asked about it on their forum and got nothing but crickets. I love the pinsound board but I gotta say their documentation is not very thorough. It baffles me why they go through the effort to add features and improvements but then they dont communicate how to use them to their users.

Because the best engineers are often the worst communicators.

#574 4 years ago

I received my Pinsound board today. I installed it in my DE SW in about 10 minutes. The orchestrations are very easy to load (although it took a very long time for the Pinsound board to decompress the first time one was loaded). The firmware was just as easy to install. I love the improvement in the background music, but I really cannot tell any improvement in the sound quality. I am running the stock speakers, so I think I need to upgrade to PinballPro speakers. The down side is that now I want to order a few more for some of my other pins...

#576 4 years ago
Quoted from rviguet:

I received my Pinsound board today. I installed it in my DE SW in about 10 minutes. The orchestrations are very easy to load (although it took a very long time for the Pinsound board to decompress the first time one was loaded). The firmware was just as easy to install. I love the improvement in the background music, but I really cannot tell any improvement in the sound quality. I am running the stock speakers, so I think I need to upgrade to PinballPro speakers. The down side is that now I want to order a few more for some of my other pins...

No improvement in the sound quality ???
Maybe it's because these are the same sfx as the originals. Try to change a few to new wav files.
what mix are you using ?

#577 4 years ago
Quoted from julien42:

No improvement in the sound quality ???
Maybe it's because these are the same sfx as the originals. Try to change a few to new wav files.
what mix are you using ?

I am using your mix. Thank you very much for making that available. I love the new music etc., but I really cannot tell that the sound quality is any better with the stock speakers (disclaimer, I am somewhat hearing impaired so others may hear things differently than I do).

#578 4 years ago

Hey does anyone know if there is progress being made within Pinsound re the following?

1. Development of PinSound Studio.

2. Documentation on how to use PinSound Studio.

3. Documentation on replacing sounds and file naming conventions.

Z

#579 4 years ago

happy to report that the new FW fixed the music not playing right on my GnR. There is still a very small delay although it's barely noticeable but I am very sensitive to that and can still tell it's there. normal person won't even notice though

The machine is still playing the wrong song for gilby and dizzy missions but could be my fault - need to check. Overall fantastic update. Also wasn't sure if I can get the game to just play my michelle in the drain as opposed to playing that music then the drain music - the back to back sounds disjointed. Original mix I believe just played my michelle although could be wrong.

With things basically working, I'm going to post a video of my mix. It brings in a lot that I haven't seen in others so could be helpful for others. As usual - Julien's base was my start as he did a fantastic startup.

#580 4 years ago

GnR owners - does the music for the Gilby and Dizzy modes work with the new firmware? Everything is perfect w/ the new fw except these modes (normal main music just plays not the ones I've assigned). Might be a bug as the old fw I don't believe this was an issue. lmk

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

GnR owners - does the music for the Gilby and Dizzy modes work with the new firmware? Everything is perfect w/ the new fw except these modes (normal main music just plays not the ones I've assigned). Might be a bug as the old fw I don't believe this was an issue. lmk

Works in mine w/ the new firmware. File 000048.

I absolutely hate that Dizzy and Gilby modes share the same background music, though, as I'm trying to come up with a config where Gilby doesn't have any background music at all, just the motorcycle noise. Right now I have 000198 (the motorcycle sound) set as a Jingle, so when it comes on it cancels out the 000048 mode background music, but there's like 2 seconds of 000048 that plays before it gets canceled. Adding a 2 second delay to that 000048 solves that, but then you get 2 seconds of delay in Dizzy mode.

Hoping that the "custom rules" that PinSound has touted in the last 2 FW updates could solve this, but no info out of them so far on what they do or how to implement them.

#582 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackjacker:

Works in mine w/ the new firmware. File 000048.
I absolutely hate that Dizzy and Gilby modes share the same background music, though, as I'm trying to come up with a config where Gilby doesn't have any background music at all, just the motorcycle noise. Right now I have 000198 (the motorcycle sound) set as a Jingle, so when it comes on it cancels out the 000048 mode background music, but there's like 2 seconds of 000048 that plays before it gets canceled. Adding a 2 second delay to that 000048 solves that, but then you get 2 seconds of delay in Dizzy mode.
Hoping that the "custom rules" that PinSound has touted in the last 2 FW updates could solve this, but no info out of them so far on what they do or how to implement them.

OK - didn't know that they share the same music. Maybe that's why neither work (prob the same issue). I will check 000048 - as I believe that's the music based on your message.

EDIT - 000048 totally fixed it. Didn't know that was being used. thanks! Game works perfect now. Potential buyers for a DE game - now is the time to jump in. Will post a video of my mix as well. Look to upload it to the website too.

#583 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

OK - didn't know that they share the same music. Maybe that's why neither work (prob the same issue). I will check 000048 - as I believe that's the music based on your message.
EDIT - 000048 totally fixed it. Didn't know that was being used. thanks! Game works perfect now. Potential buyers for a DE game - now is the time to jump in. Will post a video of my mix as well. Look to upload it to the website too.

Thanks you for the hard work,I will be buying a board very soon for my guns so I am looking forward to using your file

#584 4 years ago

Thanks to everyone on this thread as I have been lurking and learning. Here is my first try at Reorchestration.

Here is the thread about the game.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/getaway-hsii-restoration-and-customization/page/9#post-2867372

#585 4 years ago
Quoted from Zedmaniac:

Hey does anyone know if there is progress being made within Pinsound re the following?
1. Development of PinSound Studio.
2. Documentation on how to use PinSound Studio.
3. Documentation on replacing sounds and file naming conventions.

My thoughts on the items above...

You don't really need to use the software at all. After a psrec of a game has been made, all you need to work with is the "numbered" folders and maybe some moving of those folders around into the 5 named category folders and using some gain.txt files to balance things out.

What is needed is a better understanding of what the named category folders do along with an understanding of what the numbered folders the psrec file creates do for your actual game. The way the Pinsound tech works is pretty simple. Everything that gets recorded in the psrec gets a numbered folder associated with it. When the game starts up and the CPU calls for a sound, the numbered folder is referenced and the board plays anything that's in the numbered folder randomly. Where you stick the numbered folder changes how the clip is treated.

The category folders I think confuse people because their names don't do enough to describe what they accomplish. I try not to even think of "jingle" as something meaningful. Instead of that, I just try to think of the following:

jingle = clip that pauses anything that was playing in the music folder and once finished, resumes playing the music track.

music = CPU controlled tracks that play continually via looping repeat until either the CPU tells it to stop or a single is played.

sfx = CPU controlled clip that plays once when called and can play multiple tracks simultaneously. Behaves the same as voice.

single = clip that stops any music file that is playing and doesn't resume any music track when completed unless the CPU calls for it.

voice = CPU controlled clip that plays once when called and can play multiple tracks simultaneously. Behaves the same as sfx.

So, basically - you've got 2 "clip" folders that act the same in voice and sfx that when the game needs the file, it will play once over the top of anything else that's playing. The three other folders differ in terms of how they interact with each other in terms of playing once, pausing and then resuming what was playing, or looping indefinitely until the CPU tells it to do something else.

The "hard part" of making your own mixes isn't how the Pinsound works... it's figuring out how your specific game references its sounds.

In short... this part sucks.

For my SWDE remix, you can't really rely consistently on what the numbered folder is labeled. Through trial and error, you've got to slowly figure out how and when each sound gets called. For example, something labeled "multiball" may not be what actually gets called up. Although, I haven't gotten stuck and done this yet - I've thought about making short audio clips with the difficult to figure out how they get used folder names so that when I play the game it would simply say the name of the folder and I can make note of it.

Of course, you then add the extra steps of getting all of your replacement sound clips made. Using Audacity is a good way to get things extracted and converted from a CD/DVD rip. I go ahead and normalize the clips volume at this point. I then can use the Pinsound gain files to increase/decrease the specific folders effects if needed.

My SWDE remix is getting close to being finished. The firmware update has made a huge improvement. I'm still getting some minor delays; but, they aren't too bad.

I've got a bit more tweaking to do before I upload a copy. I want to add some more Return of the Jedi clips and do some gain changes to balance things out a bit.

Making the mixes are really fun. I've already got ideas about trying to do something massive with Funhouse and I've even been tempted to pick up a Shadow just to make an OST mix for it.

#586 4 years ago

Jedi,
Very interested in trying your mix. Just installed my first pinsound in my swde. The mixes I've tried are very busy with lots of sounds playing over each other. And they seem to have gain problems. Some sounds inaudible and others blaring. Am I doing something wrong with the gain settings?

It did seem to make a huge difference in sound quality even with stock speakers though.

#587 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Jedi,
Very interested in trying your mix. Just installed my first pinsound in my swde. The mixes I've tried are very busy with lots of sounds playing over each other. And they seem to have gain problems. Some sounds inaudible and others blaring. Am I doing something wrong with the gain settings?
It did seem to make a huge difference in sound quality even with stock speakers though.

I'm sure Jedi will answer, but in the meantime, did you play with the adjustment pots on the board? The bass/treble aren't as important, but there are individual gain pots that might help what you're seeing.

I had to do that on my TAF. I just installed pinsound a couple days ago for the first time and it blows me away. It's really what the game should have been all along. I've ordered another for my TZ.

To everyone spending time making quality re-orchestrations and uploading them for everyone, THANK YOU. It's that work PLUS the hardware that makes this setup so awesome.

--Donnie

#588 4 years ago

I've even been tempted to pick up a Shadow just to make an OST mix for it.

I'm working on a new OST mix for The Shadow. Will release it, next month, i guess.

#589 4 years ago

I'll check the individual gain pots. I didn't know about those. I was actually thinking I may have installed a mix wrong. The mix I downloaded in the zip file, each sound had an ogg extension and then a textfile labeled gain. I decompressed the files on my pc for speed but then I wondered if the board itself uses that gain file to level everything out when it decompresses. Anyone know?

#590 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

The mix I downloaded in the zip file, each sound had an ogg extension and then a textfile labeled gain. I decompressed the files on my pc for speed but then I wondered if the board itself uses that gain file to level everything out when it decompresses. Anyone know?

Not when it decompresses. The gain files are used at playback time.

#591 4 years ago

Ok. I might have not kept them together. I'll have to check. Thanks!

#592 4 years ago

Does anyone have a Dr Who.psrec file that I can have?

#593 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Sorry for the delayed response. I didn't see this when it bumped the other day.

Unfortunately, the way the Pinsound system has to work is to rely on the CPU action from the game, so it's hard to keep things from running into each other. You've only got so many actions to work with in the folder structure to influence the way the sounds get called up.

What I'm trying to do with my mix, is separate out the things that run interference with each other. Some folders, I think I'll end up just leaving blank to get around this. For others, I'm going to shorten up the cues significantly.

Unfortunately, I lost a couple of days working on my mix because of a hardware gremlin that I wasn't aware of. I had a switch that went bad (Obi-Wan trough) and I replaced it. Unfortunately, I didn't notice when I soldered the diode back on that while the wire was solidly seated, the diode had a little bit of wiggle room inside of the hole on the switch leg. It would occasionally cause that switch to fire and that was triggering all sorts of cues to seemingly randomly fire off.

I can't stress how important it is to have a 100% functioning game before you try locking down your custom mix.

Regarding the gain files, what I've been trying to do with my mix is to normalize the .wav files in Audacity and then use the gain files to raise or lower the overall folder. For example, I've got my music folder with a gain file to lower it below the average for the rest of the game (I think I have it at 6... remember 10 is normal, below 10 is volume down and above 10 is volume up). Using this approach of normalization then allows me to only use the occasional file to boost a specific cue - for example, the cue for the stormtrooper shooter lane button sequence I've got a few audio callouts that are boosted to the max to play above the other effects - like "It's them! blast them!"

#594 4 years ago

Soon as you get whitestar working, I'm in. I want a good version of "spirit in the sky" and swap out a few of the soundbites for apollo 13!

#595 4 years ago

Jedi, it sounds like you're heading right where I was planning. I love the pinhead mix, just seems like a lot of the sounds collide or are at inappropriate levels relative to each other.

#596 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Soon as you get whitestar working, I'm in. I want a good version of "spirit in the sky" and swap out a few of the soundbites for Apollo 13!

I second that. Once the whitestar is confirmed ready I will purchase. Some machines I don't want to change the sounds but for old Elvis, that has only one or two verses of each song, this board will be a must to complete the game and make it soooooo much better.

#597 4 years ago

Just got a pinsound board and plugged it into my DW. I'm getting no audio from the speakers, but the headphone jack works great.

It's only 5 connectors and everything looks like it's in properly and I've reconnected them several times.

Any suggestions?

Edit: got it to work once by demonstrating to my wife how the headphones worked and how it does not play sound when they are removed. Except the speaker finally did. After a restart, it has not played nice again. So the problem does not appear to be some easy mystery switch like I was hoping.

#598 4 years ago

Darn. There is a switch like that. On the board. But probably not your problem.

#599 4 years ago

My thoughts on the items above...
You don't really need to use the software at all. After a psrec of a game has been made, all you need to work with is the "numbered" folders and maybe some moving of those folders around into the 5 named category folders and using some gain.txt files to balance things out.
What is needed is a better understanding of what the named category folders do along with an understanding of what the numbered folders the psrec file creates do for your actual game. The way the Pinsound tech works is pretty simple. Everything that gets recorded in the psrec gets a numbered folder associated with it. When the game starts up and the CPU calls for a sound, the numbered folder is referenced and the board plays anything that's in the numbered folder randomly. Where you stick the numbered folder changes how the clip is treated.
The category folders I think confuse people because their names don't do enough to describe what they accomplish. I try not to even think of "jingle" as something meaningful. Instead of that, I just try to think of the following:
jingle = clip that pauses anything that was playing in the music folder and once finished, resumes playing the music track.
music = CPU controlled tracks that play continually via looping repeat until either the CPU tells it to stop or a single is played.
sfx = CPU controlled clip that plays once when called and can play multiple tracks simultaneously. Behaves the same as voice.
single = clip that stops any music file that is playing and doesn't resume any music track when completed unless the CPU calls for it.
voice = CPU controlled clip that plays once when called and can play multiple tracks simultaneously. Behaves the same as sfx.
So, basically - you've got 2 "clip" folders that act the same in voice and sfx that when the game needs the file, it will play once over the top of anything else that's playing. The three other folders differ in terms of how they interact with each other in terms of playing once, pausing and then resuming what was playing, or looping indefinitely until the CPU tells it to do something else.
The "hard part" of making your own mixes isn't how the Pinsound works... it's figuring out how your specific game references its sounds.
In short... this part sucks.
For my SWDE remix, you can't really rely consistently on what the numbered folder is labeled. Through trial and error, you've got to slowly figure out how and when each sound gets called. For example, something labeled "multiball" may not be what actually gets called up. Although, I haven't gotten stuck and done this yet - I've thought about making short audio clips with the difficult to figure out how they get used folder names so that when I play the game it would simply say the name of the folder and I can make note of it.
Of course, you then add the extra steps of getting all of your replacement sound clips made. Using Audacity is a good way to get things extracted and converted from a CD/DVD rip. I go ahead and normalize the clips volume at this point. I then can use the Pinsound gain files to increase/decrease the specific folders effects if needed.
My SWDE remix is getting close to being finished. The firmware update has made a huge improvement. I'm still getting some minor delays; but, they aren't too bad.
I've got a bit more tweaking to do before I upload a copy. I want to add some more Return of the Jedi clips and do some gain changes to balance things out a bit.
Making the mixes are really fun. I've already got ideas about trying to do something massive with Funhouse and I've even been tempted to pick up a Shadow just to make an OST mix for it.

Thanks for your detailed reply jedimastermatt.

I can see that you've worked out a way to make mixes without the need to use Pinsound Studio. It seems like a lot of work and it seems to highlight that Pinsound Studio is not easy to use.

In light of no further info coming forward, to me it seems that we will just have to wait and hope that Pinsound Studio and documentation will be upgraded.

I'm not holding my breath.

#600 4 years ago

how do i reduce the soundvolume in some SFX?
I´m currently using Juliens mix in my GnR and think the volume on the popbumpersounds (called BOOM,BOOM2,BOOM3 in the soundmix) are way too loud

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
There are 1708 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 35.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside