Topic Stats

• 1,695 posts
  • 266 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 hours ago by MrMikeman
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 77 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 4.05.58 PM (resized).png
config (resized).JPG
pasted_image.png
pinsound_rumble (resized).png
47BA478B-EFC8-4549-8BFF-A2C4FFF2B14A.jpeg
IMG_1952.JPG
IMG_1949.JPG
IMG_1947.JPG

There are 1695 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 34.
#451 4 years ago

Hopefully white star is out soon. Would love to redo Elvis since the game is good but no one young enough to play pinball likes Elvis.

#452 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

You can put a "gain.txt" file in each event folder to manage the volume of each sound event separately.
If you have more than one sound in an event folder, you can put the sound file you wish to adjust in a sub-folder with any name (I use the name of the sound file) and put a gain file in the folder with the sound file to impact only that single file. The board will randomly play one of the files in the event folder, even if they are in a sub-folder.
If you want to impact all the sounds in an event folder, you can put a single gain file in that folder.
Is this what you were asking?

Man, I didn't know ANY of this stuff!
Is there any documentation anywhere to help someone make their own mix? I must be looking in all the wrong places!

#453 4 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

Man, I didn't know ANY of this stuff!
Is there any documentation anywhere to help someone make their own mix? I must be looking in all the wrong places!

Install the board in your pin, update the firmware to the latest, either find an existing mix to use the sounds from or do your own rip from a factory ROM file to get all the sound files the game uses.

Step 1: Find a bunch of music you like, preferably in high quality .wav format
Step 2: Download Audacity (it's free!)
Step 3: Using Audacity, cut out the most awesome parts of those songs to use during gameplay. The speed of the game, the theme and the average ball time length will all affect what will work best here. Just use what you like.
Step 4: In Audacity, export those files into the "music" folder for the selected pin, replacing each individual track with your new track.
Step 5: Load it into the board, test it.
Step 6: Put a text file named "gain" into each specific folder you want to increase or decrease the volume of. Open "gain" text file and put a number from 1-20 in there (10 being no difference, 11-20 being plus, 1-9 being minus)
Step 7: Test again.
Step 8: Continue until sounds are balanced.
Step 9: ?????
Step 10: Enjoy your pin a lot more.

Optional Step 11: Replace callouts you have always hated with something better, or, using the technique Schwaggs mentioned, just add more so it's not as repetitive.

#454 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

Install the board in your pin, update the firmware to the latest, either find an existing mix to use the sounds from or do your own rip from a factory ROM file to get all the sound files the game uses.
Step 3: Using Audacity, cut out the most awesome parts of those songs to use during gameplay. The speed of the game, the theme and the average ball time length will all affect what will work best here. Just use what you like.
Step 4: In Audacity, export those files into the "music" folder for the selected pin, replacing each individual track with your new track.
Step 6: Put a text file named "gain" into each specific folder you want to increase or decrease the volume of. Open "gain" text file and put a number from 1-20 in there (10 being no difference, 11-20 being plus, 1-9 being minus)
Optional Step 11: Replace callouts you have always hated with something better, or, using the technique Schwaggs mentioned, just add more so it's not as repetitive.

This might seem obvious to you, and not so worthwhile to write out...
... but it helps considerably!!

Thanks for this!

#455 4 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Hopefully white star is out soon. Would love to redo Elvis since the game is good but no one young enough to play pinball likes Elvis.

redo in what way?

#456 4 years ago

i'm waiting patiently for Back to the Future support...any update on that?

the stock BTTF sound board does okay, but I think it could be blown open to be much more relevant to the film series with pinsound.

#457 4 years ago

Can you name the files anything you want in each folder, or do they have to match the original? Also, will the .wav files loop for songs, or do you have to make it extra long for those once in a lifetime longlasting ball times?

#458 4 years ago
Quoted from bobwiley:

Can you name the files anything you want in each folder, or do they have to match the original? Also, will the .wav files loop for songs, or do you have to make it extra long for those once in a lifetime longlasting ball times?

Name 'em whatever you want. (There is no 'original' filename to match to.) The folder name needs to have the proper 6-digit and dash prefix; the rest of that folder name and the individual filenames within are up to you.

Music files will loop until canceled by the game or a 'single' audio track is called.

See link below:
http://www.pinsound.org/sound-files-usage/

#459 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

This is a really good and simple way to think of it.

Optional steps to consider as well -

Step 12: Pay attention to how the sounds you are replacing interact with the game and other sounds. Using Audacity, you can take your sample and cut and splice it so it "loops" the part of the audio you want. So for example - with an OST soundtrack, you can have the initial part of the sound file be a dramatic cue and then have it settle into a part of the audio that is more looping in nature and lasts a long time so that you don't have it loop back to the original section if it reaches the end of the track before the next sound file is called up by the game.

Step 13: if you are replacing the soundtrack and don't like that the game doesn't pull in more voice or sound effects that would be appropriate in your opinion to what you want in your head for that section of gameplay, simply use Audacity to lay in extra audio tracks in your timeline for the music file you are creating and insert them into the timeline. It can all save as a single .wav file when you export it.

Step 14: Depending on how you create your audio, some of the files that the stock folder structure has may need moved around. Items that labeled as jingles may need to be moved to singles and vice versa.

I'm currently working on my version of a SWDE soundtrack. My goal is to get 100% away from all of the Data East files with the exception of a couple of the pinball specific voice files. So far, it's been incredibly fun to dive deep into 3 films worth of John Williams soundtracks and Ben Burtt's sound effects. The hard part is figuring out exactly which file is being called during gameplay as they aren't always labeled correctly. I'm tempted to replace all of the sound files I'm having trouble figuring out with .wav files of just a recording of the name of the track and then play a few simulated games to learn when and where they get called up.

#460 4 years ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

This is a really good and simple way to think of it.
Optional steps to consider as well -
Step 12: Pay attention to how the sounds you are replacing interact with the game and other sounds. Using Audacity, you can take your sample and cut and splice it so it "loops" the part of the audio you want. So for example - with an OST soundtrack, you can have the initial part of the sound file be a dramatic cue and then have it settle into a part of the audio that is more looping in nature and lasts a long time so that you don't have it loop back to the original section if it reaches the end of the track before the next sound file is called up by the game.
Step 13: if you are replacing the soundtrack and don't like that the game doesn't pull in more voice or sound effects that would be appropriate in your opinion to what you want in your head for that section of gameplay, simply use Audacity to lay in extra audio tracks in your timeline for the music file you are creating and insert them into the timeline. It can all save as a single .wav file when you export it.
Step 14: Depending on how you create your audio, some of the files that the stock folder structure has may need moved around. Items that labeled as jingles may need to be moved to singles and vice versa.
I'm currently working on my version of a SWDE soundtrack. My goal is to get 100% away from all of the Data East files with the exception of a couple of the pinball specific voice files. So far, it's been incredibly fun to dive deep into 3 films worth of John Williams soundtracks and Ben Burtt's sound effects. The hard part is figuring out exactly which file is being called during gameplay as they aren't always labeled correctly. I'm tempted to replace all of the sound files I'm having trouble figuring out with .wav files of just a recording of the name of the track and then play a few simulated games to learn when and where they get called up.

Lots of great advice in there. Approaching it like you are actually re-scoring it and not just that you're playing some different music makes a big difference in how it will turn out. I have personally found that actually testing it in the machine can sometimes be quicker than fiddling on the computer. Just keep a notepad handy and write down "FREEZE PUNK!" is too loud, "Deadworld has materialized!" is too quiet, etc. Once you get a feel for how much change a single digit makes in the gain file, you can estimate where it should be (and as long as your folders are reasonably accurate in their naming, it doesn't take too long to find them and edit them).

#461 4 years ago

Wow, a lot of feedback!

I don’t understand the issue here, as explain on the PSS webpage: http://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-studio/
"The PinSound Studio software is a tool to replay pinball sound tracks. Not individual sound tracks, but complete game recorded from game using either a real machine and PinSound Board or Visual Pinball DLL"

About the PSREC file: http://www.pinsound.org/recording/
"The PinSound board and the PinSound DLL are able to “record” sound events sent from the CPU (from a real machine or emulated game). The result of this record is a file with the extension *.psrec (as PinSound RECords)"

The goal here is to "replay" a audio package, while keeping the game context, not just individual sound (this you can do with a file browser), but background music, sfx, and voices.

We are aware that the PSS interface could use some polish, but it's being used by many sound designers to create custom sound packages. It's much faster than changing one file on the flash drive, switching on the game, wait to start, play until you reach the desired mission, then trying to appreciate the audio while playing. With PSS, you can directly go to the instruction where the mission starts.

To put it simple: the PSS is a "graphical interface" to simulate the CPU, connected to a PinSound board. It's strictly the same audio engine in the PSS that in the PinSound board.

We recently updated the PSS binary to fix minor problems (soon online).

Of course, we are open to any idea/feedback to improve this software.

#462 4 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

Wow, a lot of feedback!
I don’t understand the issue here, as explain on the PSS webpage: http://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-studio/
"The PinSound Studio software is a tool to replay pinball sound tracks. Not individual sound tracks, but complete game recorded from game using either a real machine and PinSound Board or Visual Pinball DLL"
About the PSREC file: http://www.pinsound.org/recording/
"The PinSound board and the PinSound DLL are able to “record” sound events sent from the CPU (from a real machine or emulated game). The result of this record is a file with the extension *.psrec (as PinSound RECords)"
The goal here is to "replay" a audio package, while keeping the game context, not just individual sound (this you can do with a file browser), but background music, sfx, and voices.
We are aware that the PSS interface could use some polish, but it's being used by many sound designers to create custom sound packages. It's much faster than changing one file on the flash drive, switching on the game, wait to start, play until you reach the desired mission, then trying to appreciate the audio while playing. With PSS, you can directly go to the instruction where the mission starts.
To put it simple: the PSS is a "graphical interface" to simulate the CPU, connected to a PinSound board. It's strictly the same audio engine in the PSS that in the PinSound board.
We recently updated the PSS binary to fix minor problems (soon online).
Of course, we are open to any idea/feedback to improve this software.

My biggest feedback is this: find a way to make the creation of a COMPLETE .psrec file faster and easier. Without a complete .psrec file, it nullifies all those other points, so that should be the first thing to address.

#463 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

My biggest feedback is this: find a way to make the creation of a COMPLETE .psrec file faster and easier. Without a complete .psrec file, it nullifies all those other points, so that should be the first thing to address.

Seriously... How much easier could it be?

#464 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

One can create a PSREC using the board (by enabling the psrec in the configuration file) or on a computer using the DLL.
But in any case, the PSREC will not call EVERY sounds present in the game (even if you play hours, get every mission, etc...)
Sometime, it takes quite few games to record "few good" PSREC, to get many mission, and sound combination, in order to be able to replay and create your own sound package.

#465 4 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

Seriously... How much easier could it be?

Quoted from PinSound:

One can create a PSREC using the board (by enabling the psrec in the configuration file) or on a computer using the DLL.
But in any case, the PSREC will not call EVERY sounds present in the game (even if you play hours, get every mission, etc...)
Sometime, it takes quite few games to record "few good" PSREC, to get many mission, and sound combination, in order to be able to replay and create your own sound package.

That's what I'm talking about. If using a PSREC will not call EVERY sound present, then I will still need to do some files manually. It's ridiculous. If you have to play quite a few games to get it even half-assed close, that is also ridiculous. That's all I'm saying. I don't normally nitpick things, but the software is not making any of this easier. What's the point of going digital if you're not going to take advantage of any of the benefits of it? Why is it necessary to play the game at all to get all those actions in a PSREC?

#466 4 years ago

I promised I'd return with my review of Pinsound once I got my IJ back. And here it is:

WOW.

I installed the board, updated the firmware, and installed somebody's reorchestrations. I don't remember the guy's name who did them. I don't even remember where I got the files from. And if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you. But I do know I managed to snag them before somebody tried to poop on everybody's parade with threats of a lawsuit.

I've read complaints about the boot-up time. I can tell you that my Indy, which is turned on using the same circuit as the WOZ next to it, boots up faster than that machine does. It's not annoying at all. The stereo sound literally shakes the house, and the gut-punch sounds on the pops make you feel it in your stomach.

This sound card is truly one of the great upgrades for any pinball machine. It does come with some disadvantages, though.

I've found that the software isn't exactly user-friendly or quite versatile enough. I'd like to see more development and power over the mixing and recording of sounds, or the ability to have it work in concert with another better-established sound editing package. Also, with the exception of machines that people have already done all the hard work on (IJ, TZ, etc.), you'll have to take some time to replace all those sounds and music yourself. And that's a shit-ton of work.

But if you have a machine, like IJ, that already has pre-made packages done for them, I urge you to get this sound board. You'll never be able to put the old board back in after hearing how it sounds. It's THAT good. Just keep in mind that nobody that managed to get those files before they were taken down will share them. So...you know...don't ask me or anybody else.

#467 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

That's what I'm talking about. If using a PSREC will not call EVERY sound present, then I will still need to do some files manually. It's ridiculous. If you have to play quite a few games to get it even half-assed close, that is also ridiculous. That's all I'm saying. I don't normally nitpick things, but the software is not making any of this easier. What's the point of going digital if you're not going to take advantage of any of the benefits of it? Why is it necessary to play the game at all to get all those actions in a PSREC?

First of you seem rather harsh. Unless you have suggestions how the pinsound board is supposed to read EVERY call available on the CPU by itself in an instant, you should back off a little. How is the board supposed to do that? All it does is read calls from the CPU and bind it to sounds that are supposed to play (easily said).

I was working with the pinsound software for more than 600 hours and it was constantly updated, even on my demands (getting masterfaders for example). Without it, you had to manually change every voice call, even though all of them have been too loud.

Saying it didn't make things easier is just wrong. Get that glas off your pin, take the ball and simply go through all the modes manually. How long could it possibly take for this generation of games!? Even with Indy it took me maybe 15 minutes with 12 modes. Is that really too much to ask? After that, you have a complete psrec and you're good to go. Your other option is to learn what sound is which number and write the psrec manually with your editor. Have fun doing that

#468 4 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

You can get a set of great HiFi 3 way speakers for less than 50 bucks for the back box and keep your sub.

+1

Rocks the house for $60... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/robocop-50-60-sound-mod-begins-a-little-help

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

First of you seem rather harsh. Unless you have suggestions how the pinsound board is supposed to read EVERY call available on the CPU by itself in an instant, you should back off a little. How is the board supposed to do that? All it does is read calls from the CPU and bind it to sounds that are supposed to play (easily said).
I was working with the pinsound software for more than 600 hours and it was constantly updated, even on my demands (getting masterfaders for example). Without it, you had to manually change every voice call, even though all of them have been too loud.
Saying it didn't make things easier is just wrong. Get that glas off your pin, take the ball and simply go through all the modes manually. How long could it possibly take for this generation of games!? Even with Indy it took me maybe 15 minutes with 12 modes. Is that really too much to ask? After that, you have a complete psrec and you're good to go. Your other option is to learn what sound is which number and write the psrec manually with your editor. Have fun doing that

I think what Aeon is trying to say is that a little basic information like you provided above is important to document...even if it seems obvious to you. Your work is brilliant and you have obviously spent many many hours working with this product. It has been much improved no doubt because of all your efforts. But if the product is going survive and grow it needs to have clear and complete instructions from basic to advanced so all of us can make our own mixes easily. Most people will not put in the time necessary to figure things out on their own. They will instead get frustrated and move along to the next shiny object.

#470 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

I think what Aeon is trying to say is that a little basic information like you provided above is important to document...even if it seems obvious to you. Your work is brilliant and you have obviously spent many many hours working with this product. It has been much improved no doubt because of all your efforts. But if the product is going survive and grow it needs to have clear and complete instructions from basic to advanced so all of us can make our own mixes easily. Most people will not put in the time necessary to figure things out on their own. They will instead get frustrated and move along to the next shiny object.

100%. Put a section on the site that is "making your own mix for beginners" and put as much straightforward basic info in there as possible. It is not as straightforward as it seems to some. I personally will not be bothering with a PSREC or the software. There just isn't a point to me. If you like it and you think it's the bee's knees, then use it. Either way works. My issue is that the software doesn't do anything substantially better or faster that I can't do elsewhere, and I am clearly not alone on that front. Is the software completely useless? No. Not at all. But it needs some serious work put into it.

As for "...how the pinsound board is supposed to read EVERY call available on the CPU by itself in an instant", I'm not an engineer and I don't understand what goes on inside the board well enough to have a clue how it's supposed to do that. But, I imagine the people who made the board probably understand that. I'm just saying it's something worth looking into because it would make it a lot easier for the average person to make a mix, which means more mixes, and not the same mixes that have been up on the site for the past 6 months.

#471 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

As a matter of fact making your own mix will never be easy. It's a lot of work either way. No one said it would be easy and doing it my way is very close to being crazy. At least if you ask my girlfriend.

Saying "this and that is ridiculous" is not even criticism. He could have asked why it's not possible to magically create a PSREC just by the point what it actually is. And just by the amount of mails I get with questions - because people seem to confuse me with Pinsound - almost always I could have answered: Read the manual. Many people don't do that. Now, you can't cover everything in a manual. When I started I don't think there was a manual to begin with. They (Pinsound) even covered PSREC in their Manual.

And if people get frustrated THAT fast, they shouldn't even think about doing their own mixes at all. They should lean back and enjoy mixes that someone allready made, because if you do it right, it's a lot of work.

If you or anyone else has questions about mixing and working with the pinsound board as it is - I'll gladly see what I can do to help but read the manual first and see if it might answer your questions.

#472 4 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

As a matter of fact making your own mix will never be easy. It's a lot of work either way. No one said it would be easy and doing it my way is very close to being crazy. At least if you ask my girlfriend.
Saying "this and that is ridiculous" is not even criticism. He could have asked why it's not possible to magically create a PSREC just by the point what it actually is. And just by the amount of mails I get with questions - because people seem to confuse me with Pinsound - almost always I could have answered: Read the manual. Many people don't do that. Now, you can't cover everything in a manual. When I started I don't think there was a manual to begin with. They (Pinsound) even covered PSREC in their Manual.
And if people get frustrated THAT fast, they shouldn't even think about doing their own mixes at all. They should lean back and enjoy mixes that someone allready made, because if you do it right, it's a lot of work.
If you or anyone else has questions about mixing and working with the pinsound board as it is - I'll gladly see what I can do to help but read the manual first and see if it might answer your questions.

That's awesome, those of us that benefit from your work thank you and I hope Pinsound is compensating you somehow. I think the existing manual is enough to get the board installed and an existing mix loaded and working. But not much beyond that. And I agree it's annoying when people don't bother to read it first. Maybe easy is not the right word, but it should not be a mystery or a treasure hunt trying to find the information. I guess it's up to Pinsound as to what kind of company they want to be. If they want to appeal to a smaller number of people to keep demand low by making the mix-your-own-sound part more difficult then so be it. But I suspect they might want to grow sales and expand their market to more novice users? Especially when a certain American is threatening to make it more difficult to obtain those existing mixes.

#473 4 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

That's awesome, those of us that benefit from your work thank you and I hope Pinsound is compensating you somehow. I think the existing manual is enough to get the board installed and an existing mix loaded and working. But not much beyond that. And I agree it's annoying when people don't bother to read it first. Maybe easy is not the right word, but it should not be a mystery or a treasure hunt trying to find the information. I guess it's up to Pinsound as to what kind of company they want to be. If they want to appeal to a smaller number of people to keep demand low by making the mix-your-own-sound part more difficult then so be it. But I suspect they might want to grow sales and expand their market to more novice users? Especially when a certain American is threatening to make it more difficult to obtain those existing mixes.

Fair enough. I don't mean to be a dick here and I'm glad you like my work so much.

I think the problem here is that Pinsound is not responsible to tell you how to make music or use any DAW in the first place. So you need to start there anyway if you want to make your own mixes. I think of Pinsound Studio more like an Text-Editor with a frontend that also plays music than a real "Studio" - and for that I think it's pretty self explanatory.

Pinsound is a platform. See it like that. For example when I take an arduino in my hands I couldn't light an led or write one line of code for it without studying a book. Or take the P-Roc which might be a better example. It's a platform that let's you control a whole pinball machine. Ever looked at their manual? There really is none as far as I could see. Why? Because you have to learn how to code first until you can even make a bumper work. They document the functions but you have to understand how it works. Please excuse me if there is indeed a real manual that I couldn't find.

In comparison - Pinsound is very well documented and actually a piece of cake to use.

I agree about the PPS problematic.

#474 4 years ago

We are working on a tutorial video on the PinSound Studio, meantime, have a look of a quick graphical overview of the PinSound framework here:
http://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-framework-overview/
Hope it can help!

#475 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

.... But I do know I managed to snag them before somebody tried to poop on everybody's parade with threats of a lawsuit....

Quoted from Jgaltr56:

...Especially when a certain American is threatening to make it more difficult to obtain those existing mixes....

WTF people? What sort of litigious whore could you folks possibly be referring to? A person so evil you can't even say their name? Is this because if you mention their name some sort of doomsday consequences will befall you?

Is this like Beetleguise or Candyman or something? Oh shit, I said them both once.... Nobody say them twice more or else this evil litigious troll, whoever it is, will cast a lawsuit spell against us all.....

Happy Halloween, by the way!

#476 4 years ago

Is it okay to say MacBeth here?

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Is it okay to say MacBeth here?

If someone says "the name," they'll have to logout of the Pinside forum, spin around three times, spit, curse, and then knock to be allowed back on.

ROFL.

#478 4 years ago

Too many lawyers so I say KLATOO VERATA NIKTOO

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from bstyles:

WTF people? What sort of litigious whore could you folks possibly be referring to? A person so evil you can't even say their name? Is this because if you mention their name some sort of doomsday consequences will befall you?
Is this like Beetleguise or Candyman or something? Oh shit, I said them both once.... Nobody say them twice more or else this evil litigious troll, whoever it is, will cast a lawsuit spell against us all.....
Happy Halloween, by the way!

Not too far off. Threads are searched for relevant words.

Let the threats of litigation be cast upon you unbelievers! Blah blah blah.

#480 4 years ago

Voldermort! There I said the name of he who shall remain nameless!!!

#481 4 years ago

It's funny that people think my name is Rick because of my Pinside handle.

But Rick is just a nickname for me.

#482 4 years ago
Quoted from Rick432:

It's funny that people think my name is Rick because of my Pinside handle.
But Rick is just a nickname for me.

Who knew THAT???

#483 4 years ago
Quoted from aeonblack:

100%. Put a section on the site that is "making your own mix for beginners" and put as much straightforward basic info in there as possible. It is not as straightforward as it seems to some. I personally will not be bothering with a PSREC or the software. There just isn't a point to me. If you like it and you think it's the bee's knees, then use it. Either way works. My issue is that the software doesn't do anything substantially better or faster that I can't do elsewhere, and I am clearly not alone on that front. Is the software completely useless? No. Not at all. But it needs some serious work put into it.
As for "...how the pinsound board is supposed to read EVERY call available on the CPU by itself in an instant", I'm not an engineer and I don't understand what goes on inside the board well enough to have a clue how it's supposed to do that. But, I imagine the people who made the board probably understand that. I'm just saying it's something worth looking into because it would make it a lot easier for the average person to make a mix, which means more mixes, and not the same mixes that have been up on the site for the past 6 months.

What else do you want from the Pinsound Studio? It does everything one need to get the leveling 95% right, exchange sounds quick. set master faders quick, change volumes on the fly without going into the folders. Without it, you'd have to do the leveling on your Pin. THAT would be ridiculous.

It could use a cutting/fade tool... but seriously I'd rather have them concentrate on more important stuff.

About the psrec: You call something ridiculous you have no idea about how it actually works (as you said). I don't think that's fair. Having to spend 15 minutes of your time to get a completely working PSREC of your pinball isn't too much to ask. How are the Pinsound guys going to get a complete psrec for EVERY Pin they support?

Besides that: What you're asking for is impossible: Sound calls are part of the CPU and the game rom. The game rom sends a number to the soundboard, the soundboard then takes that number and put's out the related sound (this is how the original soundboard and the pinsound board works). You would need the source code of the game rom to do anything like that (even though I don't think it would help a lot). Since no one has the source, you have to record the events in real time.

I seriously don't get your attitude. You want something (new Mix) but are not willing to spend the time to actually learn how it works (which is not rocket science). Even with everything you are asking for included it will still be a lot of work. It is and will always be a lot of work and it will always have a learning curve to do a mix. I'm a professional audio engineer. I still had to learn how to extract the 5.1 audio channels from a bluray. Never did it before and took quite some time to figure it out and make it work.

Making a mix that sounds professional and includes all the jingles, singles, music, sfx and voice will take more than 50 hours if you don't do all the music from scratch like I did but use OST... that took me more than 300 hours.

Disclaimer: All of this is my personal, honest opinion, it does not represent the opinion of Pinsound. I say that because people seem to confuse me with Pinsound.

#484 4 years ago
Quoted from Endprodukt:

Disclaimer: All of this is my personal, honest opinion, it does not represent the opinion of Pinsound. I say that because people seem to confuse me with Pinsound.

I don't confuse you with Pinsound. I'm just too stupid to use Pinsound Studio.

#485 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I don't confuse you with Pinsound. I'm just too stupid to use Pinsound Studio.

What happens over at your PC is really strange. You should report it to pinsound.

1 week later
#486 4 years ago

Anyone have this board programmed with clips from Caddyshack for NGG.

#487 4 years ago

What do I need to do to connect this to a table with upgraded speakers/sub from pinball pro?

Also if anyone is thinking of selling their PM me.

#488 3 years ago

I need a MAC PINSTUDIO that works please?

#489 3 years ago
Quoted from oldskool1969:

I need a MAC PINSTUDIO that works please?

There are a number of Windows emulators for Mac (in addition to Boot Camp) which are pretty much a necessity if you're using oddball software like Pinstudio or the control software for the LED OCD board, which will never have a large enough user-base to justify conversion for Mac.

I use Parallels which works well but has recently started an aggressive planned obsolesce that has me eying other possibilities.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2473278,00.asp

You could also try Wineskin which is free and less of a hassle than setting up an entire virtual Windows environment, though I'm not sure whether it will work with Pinsound:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2473430,00.asp

#490 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

What do I need to do to connect this to a table with upgraded speakers/sub from pinball pro?
Also if anyone is thinking of selling their PM me.

I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

#491 3 years ago

This board gives me some great ideas for HSII.
How about a little "Sharp Dressed Man" instead of "La Grange"?

#492 3 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

There are a number of Windows emulators for Mac
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2473430,00.asp

yeah but nah, thanks any hoo!
PINSOUND do have one in the pipeline, but when ?

#493 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

This is a good start
http://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=21&controller=product&id_lang=1

#494 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

What machine are you attempting this on?

I have done this on a Data East as well a Williams machine that both have the Pro Setups. I am not at home right now so I can't look, but it wasn't to bad to do and I can give you a hand.

1 week later
#495 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoak:

What machine are you attempting this on?
I have done this on a Data East as well a Williams machine that both have the Pro Setups. I am not at home right now so I can't look, but it wasn't to bad to do and I can give you a hand.

I'm buying it for my guns n roses machine which is DE and I believe in stereo already. Really just looking to include some of the other hits ON TOP of what already exists as I think it sounds great too. Someone linked a $25 wire attachment - I'm assuming I need to buy that but do I need to solder as well b/c if so, I might have to pass.

#496 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm buying it for my Guns n Roses machine which is DE and I believe in stereo already. Really just looking to include some of the other hits ON TOP of what already exists as I think it sounds great too. Someone linked a $25 wire attachment - I'm assuming I need to buy that but do I need to solder as well b/c if so, I might have to pass.

Data East machines are already wired for Stereo so you're good. But really, if you own ANY pinball machine, learn to solder. It can be intimidating at first but you'll get it. I watched a couple YouTube videos and practiced on throw away parts, wires, boards before doing any real repairs. Not a pro but now I can get by at least.

#497 3 years ago

so I don't need the extra cord or I do but no soldering?

#498 3 years ago
Quoted from FlipperMagician:

Data East machines are already wired for Stereo so you're good.

Already wired

#499 3 years ago

Don't need it, directly from their product description:

"Note: this modification is not required for Data-East as speakers wiring is factory stereo 2.1."

http://www.pinsound.org/shop/index.php?id_product=21&controller=product&id_lang=1

#500 3 years ago

OK seems like then if I'm doing this on a DE and I have pinball pro speakers, I don't need to buy or do anything extra than just get the PS card and install right?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
£ 75.00
There are 1695 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 34.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside