Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pic1_(resized).jpg
    Pic2_(resized).jpg
    Pic3_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

So, was working on TOM today and ColorDMD freaking out. After ribbon changes, CPU change out along with driver board. What can it be? Did have a bad ribbon but still having issues. Come to find out it was the Pinsound board freaking out the ColorDMD. Put in another new one and fixed it right up. Now need to ship the defective one back. So, now just need to update the board and upload the audio. Update done but the audio files won't play because they are not .wav files. Why make .Ogg files if the darn thing needs .wave file? What a pain in the butt. Plus, each audio file is in a folder in another folder. Really? What a pain in the butt!

#2 7 years ago

OGG files are used because they are supremely compressed which saves on download time. If you had uncompressed WAV files the downloads would be insane.

This is why both Pinsound Studio and the board itself convert the OGG to Wav for you.

#3 7 years ago

Well my board isn't converting them.

#4 7 years ago

Are they in the Audio sub folder?

#5 7 years ago

Also on board conversion is super slow. Use the PinSound studio software

#6 7 years ago

I actually find the directory system makes it easier to find files when you want to edit or change them. I agree with you...at first it looks like it's a pain in the ass, but it really becomes pretty intuitive once you play with it for a while. And yes...your board is doing something wrong because my IJ boots up with the huge reorchestration file faster than my WOZ does - and if that's the only "pain in the butt," for me it's well worth it.

#7 7 years ago

When we setup my dad's tommy with pinsound i remember it taking a couple hours to uncompressed, and i think it failed the first time we tried.

#8 7 years ago

Again use a computer and PinSound studio to transfer the downloaded sound mixes to your USB stick.

The computer will convert the OGG files to WAV significantly faster than the board in the game will.

#9 7 years ago

Download it here

https://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-studio/

There is also a demo video but the application is very straight forward to load the USB with your desired audio mix.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bos98:

Download it here
    https://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-studio/
    There is also a demo video but the application is very straight forward to load the USB with your desired audio mix.

Well that seemed to help allot thinks! not to hard just with they would point that out on their website. Sometimes to much information is just as bad as not enough.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

Well that seemed to help allot thinks! not to hard just with they would point that out on their website. Sometimes to much information is just as bad as not enough.

I will agree that their website is not the best. Also download the latest PinSound board firmware from their site and put it on the root of the USB drive. Then put it back in the pin and boot up to upgrade the software on the board.

I bought a board more recently and the software on it was older than the update from December 2015

https://www.pinsound.org/pinsound-board-firmware/

1 week later
    #12 7 years ago

Well you helped out allot. I got it done but its flaky. Sometimes the game boots and says no thumb drive found. Turn it off and it finds it. Strange. It also for some reason doesn't like my ColorDMD. MY ColorDMD is in full color but on the left side it has lines that pop up. I changed the ColorDMD and it does the same thing. I by passed the ribbon cable going to the pinsound board and it goes away. Yes, I replaced the ribbon cable with 3 new ones with no changes. Would like to put more of theses in but this kinda stuff holds me back.

Pic3_(resized).jpgPic3_(resized).jpg
    Pic2_(resized).jpgPic2_(resized).jpg
    Pic1_(resized).jpgPic1_(resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

Combination of color dmd and pin sound may be putting too much load on shared signals (i think they are on the cpu bus, maybe asic stuff, not really sure) which is driving logic levels to a point the color DMD is failing to read them properly.

just a guess.......................

#14 7 years ago

Too much strain on the 12v probably for both devices at once.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bos98:

Too much strain on the 12v probably for both devices at once.

That can't be it. I install my own power supply, so no modes go back to the driver board, The colorDMD is on that power supply and does not take any voltage from the driver board. I do this on almost all my Williams machines.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

That can't be it. I install my own power supply, so no modes go back to the driver board, The colorDMD is on that power supply and does not take any voltage from the driver board. I do this on almost all my Williams machines.

Then You are correct it probably isn't a 12v issue.

#17 7 years ago

I think "Barakandl" is on to something, Just not not sure how to handle that. It has to be something in the pin soundboard. Only because it even has a problem finding the USB drive from time to time.

#18 7 years ago

Without reading back through because I am tired and in bed, have you tried a different USB drive?

#19 7 years ago

No, I haven't just went with theirs. Would it matter what type of USB? I know that in the past ColorDMD hasn't liked some of my USBs when I was updating it. Same thing with WOZ.

#20 7 years ago

i think you should try another USB.

#21 7 years ago

Mmmmm..... Am using a Pinsound with a colour DMD on my STTNG, on some boots I also have the USB drive not found error. Reboot the machine and everything is fine. Bought it at a pinball show direct from the guys in August 2015. This is ,y third Pinsound and the only one that is giving me an issue.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from thewool:

Mmmmm..... Am using a Pinsound with a colour DMD on my STTNG, on some boots I also have the USB drive not found error. Reboot the machine and everything is fine. Bought it at a pinball show direct from the guys in August 2015. This is ,y third Pinsound and the only one that is giving me an issue.

I bought all mine at the same time 2014 & 2015 show at TPF. I have used two boards the first one has major issues, I had to ship it back. This is the second one. It works, just issues from time to time on boot up not finding the USB. (USB not found) I will try a new one (USB) but do not think that will fix my issues in the data area. I have two more boards I could try I guess. I know its not the ColorDMD as its done it on three of them now, and all the data issues are in the same place. Thanks guys for all your input by the way. I really want to put theses in more and more of my game but it worries me. I do have it in my CFTBL and I do not see theses problems. Sorry I forgot to say that earlier.

5 months later
    #23 7 years ago

I bought a Pinsound board for my DE Star Trek, and although it works and sounds good, the audio files play back in the wrong order. I've already played with renaming some of the files, but this is pretty tedious. There are close to 100 files that I would need to figure out the order to play them back in. Does anyone have any advice before I spend hours and days working through this?

Any help is appreciated.

- Deron

1 year later
    #24 5 years ago

Odd issue here on my Pinsound 1 board.

I have a DCS IJ Pinsound 1 which works very well. I have a WPC89 TZ Pinsound 1 which at first only played voices, thought it was a corrupted download, tried to convert 3 different TZ files at Pinsound studio AND letting the Pinsound convert zipped files directly. All were doing the same thing, just voices while playing.

Swapped boards, IJ board does same thing in TZ, so chance of board issue is unlikely. (TZ board works well in IJ).

5v reference and grounds at Pinsound in TZ are fine. I also have a ColorDmd on TZ, other mods installed, nothing heavy.

Also swapped ribbon cables and made sure no damaged pins.

Today issue is worse. Pinsound in TZ plays nothing, but boot up sounds are fine. Installed original WPC 89 sound board, works well, all jingles, voices, music are fine.

So how can a Pinsound board which works well in an IJ not work but boot up fine in a TZ?

Full disclosure this TZ did have an issue burning out PD and CPU boards for a while, was losing 12v circuit on factory boards and Pinled boards, got so bad had to have boards repaired by Clive.

That issue is resolved for now but just Pinsound data seems to have an issue? ( has IJ Pinsound in TZ now, TZ In IJ running well).
    Btw, both Pinsound boards have latest firmware updates.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from wdpvideo:

So, was working on TOM today and ColorDMD freaking out. After ribbon changes, CPU change out along with driver board. What can it be? Did have a bad ribbon but still having issues. Come to find out it was the Pinsound board freaking out the ColorDMD. Put in another new one and fixed it right up. Now need to ship the defective one back. So, now just need to update the board and upload the audio. Update done but the audio files won't play because they are not .wav files. Why make .Ogg files if the darn thing needs .wave file? What a pain in the butt. Plus, each audio file is in a folder in another folder. Really? What a pain in the butt!

It's not hard. Follow my guide, and do all of your file conversion before inserting USB onto Pinsound. If you can't figure it out, I'm happy to create a zip file for you to d/l and you can just unzip on your USB and you're ready to go.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

It's not hard. Follow my guide, and do all of your file conversion before inserting USB onto Pinsound. If you can't figure it out, I'm happy to create a zip file for you to d/l and you can just unzip on your USB and you're ready to go.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tantrums-guide-to-pinsound

Mr. Tantrum, his post was 2 years old. I found this Pinsound topic and posted in it. In hindsight maybe should start a new thread, but title was relevant.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-card-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.