(Topic ID: 206084)

Pinsound Boards. How I made my SAM sytem sound like a Spike 2 game.

By ASOA

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Took the leap of faith and dropped nearly 500.00 on a Board that is supposed to help the sound clarity in most games. Recently purchased a TSPP and wanted this game to be the best TSPP out there. So every tasteful mod and improvement that can be done is getting done. You know the Jurassic Park way. "Spare No Expense" TSPP is a jaw dropping game when done right. It can hold in any collection however there was always one thing that held this game back.. The sound quality was just not there. Purchased the Pinsound board and installed Flipper Fidelity speaker kit with the upgraded 10" subwoofer. This thing sounds like a Spike 2 game on steroids. Cristal clear almost zero distortion and tons of BASS. If anyone is looking for a honest review of a product here you go. Highly recommend this setup on a game if you know its a keeper. Not cheap to do the whole audio conversion however the results are well worth it.

Has anyone else had a similar experience using a Pinsound board with upgraded speakers? Please let the community know. I do not see a lot of people discussing this audio upgrade. What game have you had a good experience with using a Pinsound Board?

#2 6 years ago

Thanks for the review. I am also dressing up my mint but bone stock TSPP and was wondering if the mucho $$ Pinsound is worth it on this game. Do you have the LED OCD and GIzmo boards and (if so) does the Pinsound hardware fit easily with everything else back there?

#3 6 years ago

Pinsound on my IJ (and others), with upgraded speakers and the movie mix installed it shakes the house. Amazing upgrade for an older DMD title

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Spelunk71:

Thanks for the review. I am also dressing up my mint but bone stock TSPP and was wondering if the mucho $$ Pinsound is worth it on this game. Do you have the LED OCD and GIzmo boards and (if so) does the Pinsound hardware fit easily with everything else back there?

Not yet. Working on all mods on playfield and custom powder coating right now. As soon as my powder comes back I will be able to tackle so much more. Game is in many pieces lots of work but the finished product will be well worth the effort. Just installed the Premium non ghosting Coin Taker LED Kit. More lighting options are being researched. Lots of fun

#5 6 years ago

Pin sound is incredible. Not only does it sound better, my favorite part is the ability to change sounds. I put one in my LW3 (yes the pin sound cost about 1/3 of what I paid for the machine) but I've got the real music tracks (ZZ Top and C&C music factory) as well as some 80's and 90's Rock. I made the tilt sound the one from TWD thanks to Pinball Broswer. I put in some AFM extra ball and return to battle call outs for fun. The possibilities are endless.

I spent about $25 on Amazon for some replacement speakers and they helped too.

And my wife appreciates the headphone jack, which might be the most important thing

#6 6 years ago

There are several reviews for the PinSound, but they are scattered around the site. I had installed a PinSound and created a custom mix for my Doctor Who which *completely* changed the game. PinSound board plus the speakers - it was a stunning change. Check thewool's mixes for CFTBL and LOTR. There is also a great update for IJ which while IMO not as remarkable an update as CFTBL is still outstanding. There is also a fantastic mix for Getaway which uses the real ZZ Top song(s). And don't forget the coup de grace: the original Chris Granner DCS mix for TZ! You can't go wrong with this update, although a good mix is a must have. You can't just dump the board in any game and expect a miracle. It's double the price of a FF upgrade but the possibilities are endless!

1 week later
    #8 6 years ago

Upgraded my BSD with pinsound, and it really shines now. Love the original sound/music but being a huge fan of the movie I also made a custom mix with the original movie soundtrack, voiceclips and fx samples from the movie! Check it out

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazzard:

Upgraded my BSD with pinsound, and it really shines now. Love the original sound/music but being a huge fan of the movie I also made a custom mix with the original movie soundtrack, voiceclips and fx samples from the movie! Check it out
    » YouTube video=

Absolutely one of the best pinsound mixes i have heard.

#11 6 years ago

Incredible!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazzard:

» YouTube video=

Sounds great, but no ColorDMD? I'd totally do color video before sound.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

I just replaced my faulty DMD with a second hand one and that really made a difference in sound quality. All of the static noise and hum is gone! I had no idea that it was the DMD itself that made so much interference. Really happy about it!

I guess the next upgrade will be a color DMD...

Thank you everyone for the nice words, really appreciate it! It takes a long time remaking the whole sound design of the game...

2 weeks later
    #14 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

You’re nuts. The sound experience sets the mood for the game, and you interact with it extensively. How often do you actually look up at the DMD during game play? Before you say “a lot”, why? Score or shot status and the occasional video mode, but color does not completely revitalize and change the game experience. Don’t get me wrong, as I am all for color DMDs as opposed to amber, but an updated sound orchestration for many titles is a game changer, literally.

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

You’re nuts. The sound experience sets the mood for the game, and you interact with it extensively. How often do you actually look up at the DMD during game play? Before you say “a lot”, why? Score or shot status and the occasional video mode, but color does not completely revitalize and change the game experience. Don’t get me wrong, as I am all for color DMDs as opposed to amber, but an updated sound orchestration for many titles is a game changer, literally.

Meh. Different strokes. ColorDMD on BSD is literally a revelation. I'd totally do that first. But that's me. And I'm nuts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-boards-how-i-made-my-sam-sytem-sound-like-a-spike-2-game?hl=hazzard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.