(Topic ID: 310148)

pinsound board for Addams Family - experience?

By mjmpin

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by slizzap
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Can anyone provide some comments from their experience with the pinsound board? I asked Nicolas at pinsound to confirm that I can obtain/download the exact original audio file so that it will sound exactly like the original TAF - but would love to hear someone who may have already done this to confirm? If the audio & callouts are not exacty the same I would be disappointed, I wish my machine to sound original, just not so poor audio quality.

I am planning to order one, but would like to confirm first, thanks in advance!

Mike

#2 2 years ago

Yes, you can have only the original orchestration play if that is all you want.

#3 2 years ago

Yes you can. Easy to swap back the old board too. I also upgraded the speakers.

After hearing some of the orchestrations, you won't want to go back though IMO

#4 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies! just to ensure I am correctly understanding your points, its the voice call outs that I am primarily interested in - are the call out quotes the exact same ( and with Raul Julia & Angelica Houston - voices) ?

thanks

mike

#5 2 years ago

Additional question I just thought of - with pin sound, does the stock volume control on the pin still work or is that only a function with the stock sound board?

I see there is a volume control switch on the pin sound board, so do you have to open the backbone & change volume on the board to adjust, or will the buttons on the coin door still function?

thanks

mike

#6 2 years ago

Yes, the PLUS & NEO sound boards volume can be adjusted with the coin door volume buttons.
    These are replacement sound boards, so they will offer the same features as the original board, and much more (multiple / enhanced sound packs, shaker connectivity, headphones, equalizer, ...)

#7 2 years ago

Thanks! I'm ordering one

#8 2 years ago

Hi,
    I read somewhere that the original sound card drives the flippers during the sequence with the 'Cla cla' sound... (sorry i don't know how to call this action)
    Does pinsound card also drive the flippers during this sequence?
    Thanks Pinsound for your awesome work ! I

#9 2 years ago

Excellent question, although if lost potentially a fair trade if sound quality is as good as expected. But would like to know that feature can still be in place!

I tend to do it manually during the music and actually not sure what triggers it automatically? it doesn't happen that often.

maybe others will know, thanks!

2 weeks later
    #10 2 years ago

I have installed my pinsound board in TAF. It is great, audio quality terrific, use of cabinet sub much more prevalent. I have confirmed that the "click, click" flipper movement still works with the pinsound board!

The only drawback, unless there are additional audio files somewhere in the web universe, aside from the 5 listed at pinsound, is the callout audio quality is not improved, that is what I feared.

The original file, which is what I wanted, sounds exactly the same as it did in my TAF with the stock wound board & speakers, call outs still scratchy & staticky & weak. And I have not found that I like any of the other "re orchestrated" audio files, some don't have original voices (Roul & Angelica) and all of them have slight issues. Example - after you drain a ball it goes into the Addams theme which ends with the "click-click" but in the re orchestrated files, the sound cuts off & changes to different music when the video changes to adding up the bonus points. There are a couple other minor overlaps, sometimes when multiple things are happening, the audio cuts to a different track or in one case I heard it overlaps & two clips are playing.

Basically, for me, I prefer all the original tracks/mussic/callouts. Unfortunately the poor quality of the callouts must totally be the original voice files & nothing to do with the soundboard quality or speakers.

So I am happy, there is no doubt its better, but playing the original file, honestly sounds about the same as it did for callouts

mike

#11 2 years ago

Yeah unfortunately the audio files in the game ROM are all we have, and the only way to get higher quality recordings would be to have them re-recorded by the original actors (Or maybe someday the tapes that the original recordings were made on will show up somewhere, who knows). Save for rare cases like Whitewater, most "upgraded" sound packages don't tend to have very good voice actors re-doing the callouts.

The other weird music issues you're experiencing are due to the nature of Pinsound. The original boards play music at run time, note-by-note. Pinsound uses audio recordings of the music tracks. So while the original game is able to change the way the music plays back on the fly, for things like seamless transitions between tracks, Pinsound is only able to switch between the static recordings, often in ways that don't sound super natural.

Ultimately which is better comes down to if you prefer the improved mixing of Pinsound or the improved interactivity of the original boards.

#12 2 years ago

Might be able to sample some speech audio from the TV show or movie. Could search the scripts / subtitles for certain phrases.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Might be able to sample some speech audio from the TV show or movie. Could search the scripts / subtitles for certain phrases.

That's what I'm planning to do when I get my Pinsound board. Just gotta buy the DVD and pop it into my computer and start ripping the audio off of it.

3 months later
    #14 1 year ago

Picking up this topic. If someone has found soundtrack clips but that have music or sound FX mixed in, I use a Hollywood level sound repair program that usually isolate and clean up dialog. PM me if I can help.

Also be aware that capturing just the center channel of 5.1 mix most likely with have isolated dialog, free of music.

I have a TAF but not pinsound. I might consider it if there were higher quality callouts.

If someone has captured the original callouts, I may be able to clean them up a bit, but not sure.

4 months later
    #15 1 year ago

One thing I was hoping to gather from this thread is whether the Pinsound original sound set for TAF is exactly the same as stock. My TAF sound board just fried and I need to find a replacement, and I have to decide between finding an original replacement board or using a Pinsound. Does anyone have any comments on whether the Pinsound original sound set for TAF is *exactly* the same as stock? Or are there any differences, however minor, that some of you have detected when compared to stock?

My first experience with Pinsound is using it as a replacement for the stock sound board on my Mary Shelley's Frankenstein to get rid of some of the bad speaker hum, for which it did a great job plus improving overall sound quality with replacement speakers. However, I had 2 issues with my Pinsound: 1) The Pinsound original sound set for MSF was not correct (missing or incorrect audio clips), and 2) the volume tends to increase on its own as if someone used the volume control to change the volume. For #2, the volume would jump during gameplay by maybe 15-20%, and I had difficulty dialing this in to the perfect volume for my environment. This very well could be my specific machine and something to do with wiring, and I have installed a new volume control knob to rule that out, with no improvement...so I'll reserve judgment on that one while I research further. For #1, the missing or incorrect audio clips is something I immediately noticed after installing Pinsound, especially after playing it with stock sound board for a long period of time. Back in May of this year I reached out to Nicholas and provided him an extensive (but potentially incomplete) list of the known incorrect audio clips in MSF, to which he has responded but not yet looked into...and it's now over 5 months later. As a result, I'm hesitant to use Pinsound as a stock board replacement since I prefer to use the stock sound files. FWIW - It's interesting being able to load your own sound set and switch between them, and as much as I may play around with different sets available, ultimately I stick with the stock sound for my machines. Plus, I consider it a necessity to revert to stock sound if I were to ever resell.

1 week later
    #16 1 year ago

Since I went ahead and replaced my failed TAF sound board with a Pinsound, I'll answer my own question and provide some guidance for anyone else looking to do the same. If you're looking to use the Pinsound as a factory sound board replacement with original sounds, don't.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-shadow-pinsound-original-rom-sucks#post-7210254

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-board-for-addams-family-experience and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.