(Topic ID: 20129)

Pins+Laminate flooring on cement subfloor=Bad Idea?

By jewboyflowerhead

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Chudmeat
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I am getting rid of the last remaining carpet in my house, which also happens to be in my gameroom. I was thinking of a laminate floating floor. I have done some poking around on the internet tonight, and I found some mentions of it possibly being a bad idea because of the weight of the machines.

I assume some of you Pinsiders have laminate flooring in your gamerooms, any of you have problems? Any feedback would be appreciated

My room is approx 19x14. It is a basement, with a cement subfloor. Would have 8 pins, 6 against one wall, two on the other.

#2 11 years ago

either flat casters with felt bottoms. Or get leg mover protectors and put under all legs.
    If it is not felt or cloth bottom it will still scratch over time.
    Less so with pergo rather than real hard wood.

#3 11 years ago

hopefully your cement slab is flat, otherwise I would recommend putting down some sort of sub-flooring, otherwise you'll get creaks. While engineered wood is cheap and fine, spend the $2/foot on bamboo. It's super dense and holds up well. I've seen this sold at costco, lumber liquidators. Used to be harder to get 8 years ago, but I see it everywhere now.

#4 11 years ago

I have laminate, is no problem as long as you put something underneath the metal leg levellers as protection.
    In a basement humidity could be a problem so you'll probably need something underneath it (plastic sheet/insulation) ?

#5 11 years ago

3M felt, round, stickies...good to go on laminate

#6 11 years ago

You should ask black_rose for advice, he has mentioned he owns a flooring business.

#7 11 years ago

I have laminate floors in the lower level gameroom and they've worked very well. Inexpensive hard plastic coasters allow for sliding the machines relatively easily.

Select a product with high hardness rating for better scratch resistance and you should be happy.

#8 11 years ago

What would you guys suggest for medium thickness carpet?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinslaminate-flooring-on-cement-subfloorbad-idea and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.