(Topic ID: 13553)

Pinside's averages and how should I use them?

By LordCrom

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

Hello

Looking for advice with my first post. I've just gotten into the passion of collecting pins and I want to make sure I don't miss out on a great opportunity with my second purchase.

There is a very nice, clean looking Earthshaker machine for sale in my area. The owner has spend hours tearing down, cleaning and restoring the machine and is now asking $2500 for the item. The high average on Pinside for an ES machine is $1500. Is the asking price of his machine to high? Should I expect to purchase the pin for around $1500? How should I use the averages when looking at purchasing a pin for my collection? What do you believe to be a fair price for a nice looking and working ES pin?

Thanks in advance!
    Clay

#2 12 years ago

IMO

Average price is for average shape 100% working condition.

I think that price is pretty high.

That said there are things that can make it worth a little more.

Not ES but in general. Condition first and foremost if it is like new or HUO expect to pay more for it. If it is loaded with good working mods not always but most of the time more money. Same is true for LED lighting, Toppers etc..

Sometimes Samples or early production units of certain machines can fetch more.
    ES sample has a sinking building "earthquake institute" This will fetch closer to 2K in good working order. In great shape maybe more.

If you like the game and it is in great shape I would try to get on it closer to 2K but that is just me.
    If it is the sample the belief on prices very greatly.

Best of luck
    Welcome to our community and have fun

#3 12 years ago

Pinside prices are often off by large amounts. Go to Boston pinball or buy a price guide.

#4 12 years ago

I bought a really nice Earthshaker that is totally original,no playfield wear,really nice cabinet with no fade,really nice backglass and working 100% for $1700 . The guy wanted 2K at first but went down. It would have to be like brand new I would think to get $2500.

#5 12 years ago

I use the prices as a guide.
    If you are buying from a dealer with a warranty, expect to pay more.

It really comes down to what you want to pay.
    If the seller won't come down in price, you can walk and hope you find another one in similar condition for a lower price. If it's in really good condition and you really want it, go for it.
    Only you can really decide what it's worth to you.

I looked a the same machine with the same amount of work done to it and seller was asking about $3500. I walked. If he was asking $2500 I probably would of walked also.
    For $2500 for that machine, I would expect a perfect pf and no cracked plastics with almost a perfect cabinet.

#6 12 years ago

I was looking at NGG on this site and it was saying 3400-4000. Maybe I feel asleep for too long, but I dont think I have even seen a NGG for for that kind of money. Usually 1800-2400 depending on condition. I typically do research on the forums for past sale, and make an evaluation, sometime check out Boston Pinball.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

Go to Boston pinball or buy a price guide

Even with these price references (I use pinside [derived from boston/ebay], boston pin/ebay data, and guide) I've seen the price police blast sellers asking what seemed in-line with these prices.

I generally take all of these as a reference, make my own adjustments, and then just go plus or minus from there based on condition, desirable mods (I don't like mods much, so generally don't pay much for them), etc.

If you're just building up your own collection, ultimately just use the guides as a ball-park reference, and then pay what you feel its worth. If you are looking to flip pins, you have to have a good deal of experience with pricing and market.

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from Tlamb:

I was looking at NGG on this site and it was saying 3400-4000. Maybe I feel asleep for too long, but I dont think I have even seen a NGG for for that kind of money. Usually 1800-2400 depending on condition. I typically do research on the forums for past sale, and make an evaluation, sometime check out Boston Pinball.

Yeah, NGG seems to be quite high on Pinside price for some reason...

#9 12 years ago

I use pinpedia or boston pinball to get a general idea on price. Each area in the US and world vary a decent amount on the price of pinball machines so you need to take that into consideration as well.

#10 12 years ago

And yet shadow is still stuck at 1100 something with the pricing does not seem up to date.
    A couple NGGs on ebay went for around 3K. I am use to seeing it like 1800-2200. Just not recently.

#11 12 years ago

http://gallery.me.com/tvsi#100103

Here are photos of the Earthshaker machine I was looking at. What do you think of the look compared to the asking price?

#12 12 years ago

Looks great, enjoy!

#13 12 years ago

What I think is it's a great looking ES, that I would not pay $2500 for.
    Personally I use the pinside prices for a general idea. Will I pay a couple hundred less or more from time to time; sure. Will I spend 2500 on an ES that lists at 1500; I'm not. But money, time, pride, is different for all people.
    Using the pinside price I haggled with a guy for a while over $50 on a LAH, and I wouldn't budge, and I left without it. That is half pride, half I didn't really want the machine that bad
    If I found a machine I really liked, was really nice, and I REALLY wanted would I pay a couple hundred more pinside lists it? Sure. What's a $200-300 going to mean to you after a couple months. Probably nothing.

#14 12 years ago

I have to agree, while it is nice $2500 is the top end of the market for it IMO and that is for one in phenomenal shape. This one has some mylar bubbling on playfield. Sure you could cut out each bubble but then you don't have a totally flat surface on the playfield. To properly fix you would have to remove all the mylar on the playfield and that is a tough task that someone paying top price should not have to worry about IMO.

But as thelaw points out if you love it and only want that pin it may be worth it to you and that is all that really matters in the end. Either way you go I hope you are happy with your decision good luck!

#15 12 years ago

TheLaw - How much was the asking price for the LAH? I am looking at one right now that has cabinet damage from being in an arcade and a little paint missing on the ticket of the playfield. The offer on the table is $1450, I feel like this is to much, am I wrong? What is the top you would be willing to go for such a condition?

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on the ES machine. I felt it was overpriced at the $2500 and I don't believe I would pay more than $2000, maybe not even that high. You guys helped out a lot

#16 12 years ago

I think it was around 1200ish, if I remember correctly. It was a really nice machine besides some magnet wear on the playfield (the ticket), which was my big issue, everything else was perfect. Super super clean, crane worked well. If I could have got it for 1150-1250 I would have done it. At that point I was itching to buy something though.

You can put a 50 cent piece of mylar over the ticket area, and it should be fine, but it will never be fixed. Of course I would act like you're going to have to fix it up and get some money off. and then deduct the price of a Cliffy protector for the scoop which is usually bad (scoops?). Personally i don;t care much about the sides of machines...but you could mention that.

ALSO factor in the West Coast thing which I hear makes things higher. I mean I wouldn;t feel bad if you showed up with 12 $100 bills and said "how about this?" EDIT: But then hey, if you are willing to spend $1200...is $100 more that big of a deal?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsides-averages-and-how-should-i-use-them and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.