tron-topper (resized).jpg
rivit-press (resized).jpg
long-nose-stapler (resized).jpg
17073 (1) (resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160507_135259_(resized).jpg
the-end_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
There are 5,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 119.
#3001 11 years ago

WTB!

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase my first pin.
DMD modern solid state is preferred, but alphanumeric is fine too.
Budget is $1k.

If it needs a little work, that's fine too (as long as it's nothing too hard, that a beginner like me could handle).

I'm located in Clarksville, but would be willing to drive pretty much anywhere in TN to pickup.
If you know of anything, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

#3002 11 years ago

Lucky post #3000 Chad! You won't find any DMD games for that price but if you look you can get a nice alphanumeric game.

Lots of problems with pins lately...

Addams Family: GI mostly out
No Good Gofers: Door lock popped, won't stay shut, unplayable
Hurricane: Lock gate hangs balls, Ferris wheel stopped
Whirlwind: Spinners, fan, lower jets not working. Something wrong with how the sound board interfaces with the sound overlay solenoid board.
Black Knight 2000: Jets don't work, drop targets don't reset
Diner: Drop targets register flaky, something keeps firing during gameplay
No Fear: Tends to lose track of balls, music doesn't change on ball launch, no sound effects work
Flintstones: GI LEDs flicker, not sure what cause is

Have you thought about hiring extra help? Because GI lamps on a lot of games are easy to get to from underneath I can help replace some next time.

#3003 11 years ago

Congrats Chadsugg!

chadsugg.jpgchadsugg.jpg

Seems like a Dredd just sold for 1k so I guess it's possible. Maybe keep your eyes peeled for Big Hurt or TMNT?

Also sometimes GI flicker is because the GI brightness is set too low in the menu. I think I read they control brightness by having more "off" time between waves (rather than decreasing voltage) so that would make sense for LED flicker

#3004 11 years ago

Hahah, thanks Erik! 3000th post means I get a free pin of my choice from the pinball gods, right?

#3005 11 years ago

Hey Chad, welcome to the club!

You'll be able to get a Gottlieb or Data East DMD for around that budget, and definitely less that $1500 if you're willing to stretch. You should probably talk to Jason (Game Galaxy owner) at the tournament next weekend if you are going to be there. He may be able to help.

If you want to go to Early solid state you can get nice Bally machines all day long. Jason has a Harlem Globetrotters that needs work for $380 or I have a Nitro Ground Shaker that I've just finished a restore that will be well within your budget. If you're interested let me know.

http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/papa/2011-papa-14-classics-1-semifinal-harlem-globetrotters/

http://pinball.org/videos/tournament/papa/2012-pinburgh-division-b-final-nitro-groundshaker/

#3006 11 years ago
Quoted from williams:

Jason has a Harlem Globetrotters that needs work for $380

I was in there today and saw that one and it's kinda right up my alley. It didn't look bad at all I wonder what other issues it has other than the obvious missing displays?

#3007 11 years ago

Just curious on those displays, are those displays missing or just dead? On my Ground Shaker wiggling the connectors and reflowing solder got me very close to having them all work again. I may have been lucky.

If they need to be replaced I'd put up a WTB ad here on Pinside and see what shows up. Seems like I occasionally see people selling these for < $50.

Great info on repairing Bally displays here.

http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_disp6r.htm

#3008 11 years ago

There are 3 displays missing.

#3009 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

There are 3 displays missing.

Great for a one player game!

#3010 11 years ago

No, the LEDs on Flintstones flicker when I hit the flippers. They actually get slightly brighter, not dimmer like you would expect. Not sure what's going on there.

#3011 11 years ago

Hey our displays work! ...Somewhat!

fr_680.jpgfr_680.jpg fr_681.jpgfr_681.jpg

#3012 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Lucky post #3000 Chad! You won't find any DMD games for that price but if you look you can get a nice alphanumeric game.
Lots of problems with pins lately...
Addams Family: GI mostly out
No Good Gofers: Door lock popped, won't stay shut, unplayable
Hurricane: Lock gate hangs balls, Ferris wheel stopped
Whirlwind: Spinners, fan, lower jets not working. Something wrong with how the sound board interfaces with the sound overlay solenoid board.
Black Knight 2000: Jets don't work, drop targets don't reset
Diner: Drop targets register flaky, something keeps firing during gameplay
No Fear: Tends to lose track of balls, music doesn't change on ball launch, no sound effects work
Flintstones: GI LEDs flicker, not sure what cause is
Have you thought about hiring extra help? Because GI lamps on a lot of games are easy to get to from underneath I can help replace some next time.

Crash, Addams has been like that, it's a board issue. Not "underneath" the playfield.
Whirlwind those issues happened after you did something with the cabinet, it was a fuse, (F1)
Black Knight keeps blowing fuses, known issue
Flintstones that issue is minor and doesn't affect anything.
No Fear has a sound board problem.
No Good gofers the lock had to be busted today, lol that's all.

I mean honestly we know these things about the games, but we have other stuff going on.

How's that Police Force/Harlem Globetrotters compatibility display going? (I have to give you shit on that one because that was pretty common sense those were not compatible.....lol)

#3013 11 years ago

Lol honestly I had no clue. I couldn't find pictures on the internet besides just the translite and saw that they were 7 digit numerics and just figured they would work. Not really a lot of info out there about display compatibility. When I saw the PCB style was different at that point it became obvious to me. We just don't have anything this old...

#3014 11 years ago

Actually, I think No Fear has an amp issue.

The sound definitely worked today. Damn near deafened me.

I think the issue with BK2K is one of the diodes died on one of the pop bumper switches. I'd rather just slap a new fuse in and be done with it.

#3015 11 years ago

Gilligan is out...
Bride is naked...

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#3016 11 years ago
Quoted from mystic:

Gilligan is out...
Bride is naked...

I heard the Bride is just a huge tease..

I played Gilligan last night. I hate to say, I don't know why that game gets so much flack, it's actually not that bad. But damn that game is masochistic when it comes to scoring. I played for about 20 minutes, and still couldn't break 11 million.

#3017 11 years ago

If you can finish all the tasks and start the mountain mode and then hit all the shots (quickly) then you get 50 million. Good luck with that...

#3018 11 years ago

My Harlem Globetrotters is up for $380 if anyone wants it. Not working but very nice playfield

#3019 11 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

My Harlem Globetrotters is up for $380 if anyone wants it. Not working but very nice playfield

Yeah I took a quick look at it when I was there Saturday and and it's one I'm interested in. Does it look like there are are more issues than just the missing displays?

#3020 11 years ago

The sound board is missing and the MPU board has corrosion damage.

#3021 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

The sound board is missing and the MPU board has corrosion damage.

Hmm, with the displays, soundboard, and mpu maybe $300 or more to get it right. just a guess as I've got some pinball playing experience but no pinball repair experience .

#3022 11 years ago

He bought a $90 sound board.

#3023 11 years ago

A replacement MPU will run you $200. The sound board is about $90. An entire set of new displays is another $220.

I spent Saturday cleaning and waxing the playfield. And for a 33 year old game, the playfield looks nicer than some of the more modern pre-diamond plated pf's out there, given the fact it had no mylar except around the pop bumpers. The cabinet is still in amazing shape - no browning and the stenciled artwork still looks great. I'd give the cabinet about an A or A-.

Pretty amazing considering it was sitting in a barn for god knows how long.

#3024 11 years ago
Quoted from diskoboy:

A replacement MPU will run you $200. The sound board is about $90. An entire set of new displays is another $220.

Two things to consider here.

Steve Kulpa is local and repairs these boards. I have no idea what kind of shape the board is in but you may be able to get one up and running for less than the price of a new one.

http://stevekulpa.net/pinrepair/bally_repair.htm

Also, that price is for a whole new set of Pinscore LED displays. You can go cheaper used. For example.

ebay.com link: BALLY PINBALL 6 DIGIT SCORE DISPLAY WORKING

I'll vouch that this era of games is GREAT for learning repairs. They are so straightforward. No special mechanisms, optos, etc.

Jason, I'll take my commission whenever you're ready!

#3025 11 years ago

You might have luck posting a thread seeing if anyone has a set of working displays. Especially on RGP if you get no responses here. There must be some folks that have parted out early SS pins and stashed working displays. Maybe even Steve Kulpa has some locally?

I don't know about the cost to fix everything but I will add that Globetrotters has one of my all time favorite themes and backglasses. I could easily see someone paying $1k for a nice one

#3026 11 years ago

Hmmm you guys make this sound more attractive all the time. lol

I do agree that the cosmetics are nice and I really like the theme and the simple straightforward game-play of this era of games. I've held off getting a pin for a while since my space is at a premium but I'd sure like one.

#3027 11 years ago
Quoted from williams:

Two things to consider here.
Steve Kulpa is local and repairs these boards. I have no idea what kind of shape the board is in but you may be able to get one up and running for less than the price of a new one.
http://stevekulpa.net/pinrepair/bally_repair.htm
Also, that price is for a whole new set of Pinscore LED displays. You can go cheaper used. For example.
Ebay link
I'll vouch that this era of games is GREAT for learning repairs. They are so straightforward. No special mechanisms, optos, etc.
Jason, I'll take my commission whenever you're ready!

I've met Steve. He came in a few weeks ago looking for an Asteroids.

However, I don't think the MPU is salvageable. The 33 year old Ni-Cad was still soldered on the board and the traces looked pretty fried. Not to mention the blue crusty goo that was coming out of both ends of the battery.

However, I believe Jason just ordered one of those Ultimate MPU's, and I think a replacement sound board. So hopefully, we'll have it running soon.

#3028 11 years ago

#3029 11 years ago

Glad you finally decided to join us, Brandon!

#3030 11 years ago

sweet first post..

#3031 11 years ago

Couldn't have said it better myself.

#3032 11 years ago

Nice No Good Gofers project you got there.

#3033 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Nice No Good Gofers project you got there.

yea just waiting on jeff to bring back the gofers so i can get on the ball with finishing it.

Quoted from mystic:

sweet first post..

lol

#3034 11 years ago
Quoted from diskoboy:

I've met Steve. He came in a few weeks ago looking for an Asteroids.
However, I don't think the MPU is salvageable. The 33 year old Ni-Cad was still soldered on the board and the traces looked pretty fried. Not to mention the blue crusty goo that was coming out of both ends of the battery.
However, I believe Jason just ordered one of those Ultimate MPU's, and I think a replacement sound board. So hopefully, we'll have it running soon.

Yeah there is no way to save that board with labor/$$, etc. I will sell it on ebay for parts if the replacement one works.

I have to take this in steps, if the MPU works and the the sound board works then I can pick up displays. If that doesn't happen I will keep the new products in case I come across another pin of that era but I have to keep costs somewhat low.

Crash, one thing I forgot to mention, we barely pay our guys anything for repair because it's the only way to GET more machines in the place since it barely breaks even. If you want to come in and have a fixing party for $$ by all means, I'll pay you to do stuff, we just don't have a lot of time on certain things but with the sound board problems in 2-3 of the games, and Super Mario Bros not doing anything except for GI + the impending 3rd location opening in Chattanooga (signing the lease Friday) we are pretty overloaded at the moment.

#3035 11 years ago

I always like to help, and I definitely would have had I not brought stuff to test. I just didn't have a good idea of what's going on. Hearing news of a warehouse raid vs. seeing all the stuff in person, makes it easy to see that fact. Since you got a better meter I'll be ready to tackle more issues next time I'm in.

#3036 11 years ago

My first pin teardown is underway. Gonna get the topside stripped down far enough where I can hit the playfield with a treasure cove kit. The playfield has mylar over pretty much all of it so it should shine up pretty good. That ramp was a pain to get out of there! Hopefully the sun will come out one day so I can sandwich the plastics between some glass to flatten them out.

Groovy DUDE!

photo_1.JPGphoto_1.JPG photo_2.JPGphoto_2.JPG photo_3.JPGphoto_3.JPG

#3037 11 years ago

Just a friendly bump/reminder about the tournament this Saturday at 2 pm.

http://www.midtnpinball.com for the game list.

#3038 11 years ago

Trying to talk my folks into stopping in a Game Galaxy Antioch tomorrow, on their way down to Atlanta.

If they make it, treat 'em nice for me. They're still pinball noobs who i'm trying to get hooked.

thanks! Joel

#3039 11 years ago

Matt, those are both Pintucky's games right?

#3040 11 years ago

Technically Stargate is mine and Dr Dude is his. It's a joint venture. There both in my garage though

Dr Dude is going to his house when I get done with it and then Stargate is getting the treatment. I'll let Mike play Stargate for a bit then i'll probably sell it. I can only get DM, the Virtual Pin, and my MAME cab in my game room.

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#3041 11 years ago

So who won today? Matt Got me on Flintstones.

#3042 11 years ago

Yabba dabba do!

Will came in 1st
Jeff 2nd
I took 3rd
Jamie 4th

#3043 11 years ago

mystic, how many people entered

#3044 11 years ago

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay in posting results. The recap is at http://www.midtnpinball.com. The next tournament is Saturday, March 2nd at 2 pm.

One thing I mentioned in the post is having a small "side" tournament at the next one. The idea is just to have something fun and novel to play for low stakes. Something like playing one handed, accomplishing a certain goal, etc.

For the March tournament, the side tourney will be (tentatively) Tommy Wizard Mode. This is the mode when the entire game is played with the blinders covering the flippers. $1 per entry, highest score wins the pot. Enter as many times as you want. Fun, frustrating, pure luck? YES!

Had a great time. Watching some of you guys play is pretty impressive. As always, spread the word!

#3045 11 years ago

So this happened today:

http://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play/rocket-fizz-4468-nashville-ten-united-states

I was out ravaging the city trying to find some unique candy for a friend's gift when I decided to check out Rocket Fizz Soda Pop and Candy Shop located in the heart of downtown on 2nd Ave. I was perusing the candy selection and decided to wander upstairs when I stumbled upon a pinball in the wild...Sorcerer. Gotta love when that happens! It was not turned on, so I asked the guy working there about it, and he said it had been in his family for many years but needed some work done to one of the flippers and that they want to get it fixed. So it is currently non-operational, but I suggested he contact Game Galaxy about getting it fixed (I hope that's ok, Jason!). It sounds like a relatively easy fix, so here's hopefully looking forward to a new operational pin in Nashville!

#3046 11 years ago

MWC: That's fine, If it is just flipper stuff and other minor things I am sure we can get to it....poor Sorcerer just hanging out

#3047 11 years ago

Addams and Baby Pac are out at Holiday Wash.

#3048 11 years ago

^^ Cool. I hope he will call you. I don't know if they'll want to bring it out to the arcade since it's on an upper floor with a staircase that has a turn. Maybe they have a freight elevator. Otherwise, it sounds like it could be done on location fairly easy.

^ I will be out soon to play Baby Pac.

#3049 11 years ago

Ok we might need some psychiatric help here lol...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#3050 11 years ago

Two places with Baby Pac within 3 hours of each other on location.

Mine still seems to be holding up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 1,280.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 64.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 119.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsiders-in-the-nashville-tn-area/page/61 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.