tron-topper (resized).jpg
rivit-press (resized).jpg
long-nose-stapler (resized).jpg
17073 (1) (resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
20160507_135259_(resized).jpg
the-end_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).png
There are 5,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 119.
#501 12 years ago

BTW guys Casey was asking if anyone from the Nashville area is going down to the Big Balls tournament on the 5th? I was planning on it then I found out I will have to babysit that weekend

He also said several of the guys there are planning on coming up to GG sometime. Maybe we can get an Alabama group up here for the next tournament

#502 12 years ago

Sounds epic! By the way, do you know if jayhawkai was there? And is Peter on here?

#503 12 years ago

Yes, I am Peter from Buffalo NY area. My high score initials are CFF for Crazy Flipper Fingers and that might cause the confusion. Also I was fourth of four people on Tron I believe. I must add that I felt really lucky on SAT , those were high scores for me. Just goes to prove that anyone can get lucky for one day. I have invested about $23,219.75 so far in quarters during my lifetime just to get this good. Hope you youngsters are listening!

#504 12 years ago

A tourney in Alabama on the 5th?!?!

More info please..

#505 12 years ago

Nevermind I googled it....

#506 12 years ago

I may just have to put the ol' balls in a wheelbarrel and run on down for it. Maybe we'll see one or some of you guys there.

#507 12 years ago
Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

Yes, I am Peter from Buffalo NY area. My high score initials are CFF for Crazy Flipper Fingers and that might cause the confusion.

This blows my mind, I thought CFF was a whole crew of people, otherwise you must travel a helluva lot. I've seen CFF's initials all over the map for YEARS......you are a very prolific player.....respect

#508 12 years ago

That's right. And the players on Tron in order were Erik, Richard, Peter, and Quint. Quint had the name of some company/association on his shirt but I can't remember what it was. Something Arcades? Anybody know him?

Edit: Looked back at the video, it's the Aurcade network. www.aurcade.com.

#509 12 years ago
Quoted from fumbleflippers:

ThisNotes4U said:Yes, I am Peter from Buffalo NY area. My high score initials are CFF for Crazy Flipper Fingers and that might cause the confusion.
This blows my mind, I thought CFF was a whole crew of people, otherwise you must travel a helluva lot. I've seen CFF's initials all over the map for YEARS......you are a very prolific player.....respect

I could be wrong, but I think a group of players from Portland use those initials.

#510 12 years ago
Quoted from williams:

I could be wrong, but I think a group of players from Portland use those initials.

Well I've never been anywhere near the pacific northwest, but I've seen CFF's mark on machines all around the southern states.

#511 12 years ago

Crash, couldn't make it. I hurt my back slightly and am still recovering. Just takes some time/rest. Looks like you all had a great time.

#512 12 years ago

Sorry to join in so late, but I'm brand new to this forum. I'm just down the road from you Nashvillans (haha) in Chattanooga!

#513 12 years ago

Crash, his name is "Clint", www.aurcade.com is basically a location database that Clint keeps up with...

We just got Creature from the Black Lagoon from Erik today; I have not played it nor seen it. RIchard has it there for setup tomorrow morning...in fact I have NEVER played that game...it's one of a distinct few I want to play one of these days that I have not...

Dracula, Game Show, Frankenstein, Gilligan's Island, and Popeye are on the list of "never played" so who knows if I will ever get to on some of those...

#514 12 years ago

HI bikey, do you guys have any pinball to play in Chattanooga? I know a lot of laundromats used to...

#515 12 years ago

Like I said, I never saw any real "clues" posted on Facebook or the website the day of the tournament (except for the Bride of Pinbot image, which wasn't in the tournament). What happened with that?

#516 12 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Like I said, I never saw any real "clues" posted on Facebook or the website the day of the tournament (except for the Bride of Pinbot image, which wasn't in the tournament). What happened with that?

Who knows, maybe we forgot, lol..

#517 12 years ago

We just got Creature from the Black Lagoon from Erik today; I have not played it nor seen it. RIchard has it there for setup tomorrow morning...in fact I have NEVER played that game...it's one of a distinct few I want to play one of these days that I have not...

Got to play Creatures today. Extra clean/8.5 on everything. Lots to shoot at, easy ramps.
Heads up: no 4 plays for $1 as the card says. no biggie because it is a great game at 50 cents!!!

#518 12 years ago

Anyone coming to the Game Galaxy retro museum day on Saturday?

#519 12 years ago
Quoted from MWC:

Anyone coming to the Game Galaxy retro museum day on Saturday?

What is that? I visited that place for the first time today. I am in TN for work and needed a pinball fix. I was pleased with the machine variety but do not understand why so many drain easy or kick out the side right through the middle of the flippers. Sigh...was fun to play pins I cannot afford though What is up with that mall by the way...Sears leaving and half the stores closed. Breaks my heart since it looks like an awsome design for a mall and very pleasing to the eye from a design point of view!

#520 12 years ago

Holy crap, we now have 19 machines. They're taking over! How much farther are you going with this? Because I believe even half of the machines you have now would keep us pinheads more than happy.

The retro museum is something the arcade does once a month, usually on the last Saturday. Basically you pay $10 up front and have access to dozens of video games and a few older pinball machines all set to free play. Basically an all-you-can-play buffet. If you exit the arcade and go right down the hall and turn the corner, you'll find it. It's a really dark place but it has signs and the doors are open when it's a weekend feature.

Quoted from Pinballdad:

What is up with that mall by the way...Sears leaving and half the stores closed. Breaks my heart since it looks like an awsome design for a mall and very pleasing to the eye from a design point of view!

Hickory Hollow has been in decline for the last decade. Back in 1999/2000 it was a hopping place. My parents used to take me there and trust me, it was always packed. The food court was especially alive, made for a great visit. HH used to be "the mall of all malls." It was opened in 1978 but for the past ten years it has slowly degraded to the pitiful ghost town you see now. Not to be prejudice but the number one reason for this is minorities and blacks. Crime, gang activity, and violence have driven everyone away who used to shop there. That's why the mall's fallen on such hard times, and now the rate of its downward spiral is frightening. It's got me concerned for Game Galaxy's near future.

#521 12 years ago

The Avenue in Murfreesboro and the new shopping areas in Smyrna on Sam Ridley have also taken away a lot of business from the Antioch area in the past few years. Less people get shot in those two areas as well.

Jan
http://www.wtvf.com/story/16568382/one-person-shot-at-hickory-hollow-mall

Dec
http://www.wsmv.com/story/16079916/1-injured-in-shooting-at-hickory-hollow-mall

Nov
http://www.wkrn.com/story/16080264/barber-shot-outside-hickory-hollow-mall

#522 12 years ago

The Jan/Dec ones are the same story and to be fair both of those were outside the mall. Both of them were unrelated to people in the mall...the barber was flashing money or something and after hours someone called him out about it...the other one was a bunch of out of towners in a botched drug deal.

I mean, Green Hills has shootings/robberies but you don't hear about those too often. Heck the GameStop was actually robbed there but Antioch and Section 8i housing really killed this area; lower income = more crime.

We've never had a problem with this area though in the arcade or out....

#523 12 years ago

Pinball Dad: Our games "drain" easy on purpose. They are meant to be hard and challenging or else people rack up replays all day. I remember when we first opened one guy would come in here and play all day on $1.00 or so. Considering I spent tens of thousands of dollars on pinballs and brought them so you guys can play...you know where this is going to lead, lol...

#524 12 years ago

I just don't go there at 8:30 on Friday. Seems to be a pattern.

#525 12 years ago

I am always out of Antioch/Nashville at least an hour before nightfall for this very reason.

#526 11 years ago

Are any of you kind Nashville people coming to the ATL Swap Meet tomorrow? If this game is playable, I'll give you $600 for it. The quick flip should pay for your gas each way. I collect Simpsons stuff... the DE Simpsons pinball sucks and I wouldn't drive 800 miles round trip to get one. But I would pay $600 for one.

nashville.craigslist.org link

Or is this another CL scam? The pictures being from 2007 is kind of weird.

#527 11 years ago

Send me a PM if you have any interest in taking me up on that. Yes, I understand you could probably buy it and flip it in your local market. I love capitalism.

#528 11 years ago

He got like 500 calls already. It's sold

#529 11 years ago

Haha... Thanks for the update. Why is it hard to take recent pictures? I shall never know.

#530 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

Are any of you kind Nashville people coming to the ATL Swap Meet tomorrow? If this game is playable, I'll give you $600 for it. The quick flip should pay for your gas each way. I collect Simpsons stuff... the DE Simpsons pinball sucks and I wouldn't drive 800 miles round trip to get one. But I would pay $600 for one.
nashville.craigslist.org link
Or is this another CL scam? The pictures being from 2007 is kind of weird.

I sold a Simpsons for $900 and it took awhile to get it to that point recently...someone from Michigan is picking it up but everyone and their mother was after it except me for once. Though I can say anyone would pay $600 for a pin that sells for more. Line em up, lol.

#531 11 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

I sold a Simpsons for $900 and it took awhile to get it to that point recently...someone from Michigan is picking it up but everyone and their mother was after it except me for once. Though I can say anyone would pay $600 for a pin that sells for more. Line em up, lol.

There was a Simpsons machine on Craigslist earlier today going for $450. It still had the original topper, and the cabinet looked pretty damn nice.

I'd buy it if I was into Data East machines.

It's strange... I'm a huge Simpsons fan, but I hate the Data East pin. Love the Stern machine, though...

#532 11 years ago

Yeah the Simpsons DE machine I terrible. I merely want one as a decoration. And I use the term want loosely. The max I would pay for a working one is $600 which basically means I will never have one.

I am hoping to maybe find a board less one with no wires that someone is looking to dump.

#533 11 years ago

Better question, how come my iphone Craigslist app didn't notify me.. I need a new app, this one sucks. The one I used to have on my Android was instantaneous, this is hit or miss at best. Once I manually updated it after I saw this post, yep, there it is, posted 6 hours ago.. *sigh*.

This is like the third pin in 2 months I've been late to the party on.

Anyone have any suggestions?

#534 11 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

Pinball Dad: Our games "drain" easy on purpose. They are meant to be hard and challenging or else people rack up replays all day. I remember when we first opened one guy would come in here and play all day on $1.00 or so. Considering I spent tens of thousands of dollars on pinballs and brought them so you guys can play...you know where this is going to lead, lol...

Yeah I see your point Don't mind me, I just got a bit frustrated. I know I am not good (play my wife in pin though, she will kick yer butt I try though. I have to say again the variety was great and I soooooo....sooooooo....soooooooo miss an arcade like Galaxy. Jeesh, I grew up on Pinball and if I skipped a class during High School, it was to grab a Coney Island and then play pins after finishing the dogs, the rest of the afternoon, lol.

I do feel bad about the mall though. I walked around and could not understand. Where I live there is a mall about a half mile away...Macomb Mall. It is old. I like it still but have watched it age. Compared to Hickory it is no contest. I mean jeesh the rolling hills with trees next to the parking lot. The 2 level mall with the open atrium (you can look down to the lower level from above). A food court a mile long (well almost, sad they are half vacant). What a shame Hickory Hollow Mall wins hands down!

Anyway, I have to work major hours at Nissan in Smyrna. I am hoping to find time maybe Sunday night to go back...hmmmm maybe has to be afternoon eh? Does the Mall close early Sunday? Anyway hope to get back to Galaxy because I will likley never see so many pristine pins in one spot again in a commercial setting. Feels like the old days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace!

#535 11 years ago
Quoted from mystic:

Better question, how come my iphone Craigslist app didn't notify me.

Same thing happened to me on my iPhone. It just showed up beneath other stuff. I'm going to take Nashville off my list now anyway. I was supposed to be up there today for the marathon tomorrow. However, I tore my hamstring training early last month, and I can't go past 8 miles without problems now. Eight is better than zero which is where I was two weeks ago.

I just wish there was a group in Middle Georgia like you have in Nashville. I'll try not to junk up your thread anymore with my posts.

#536 11 years ago

diskoboy did you show up at the tournament? I don't think you ever said anything about going/not going.

#537 11 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

I just wish there was a group in Middle Georgia like you have in Nashville. I'll try not to junk up your thread anymore with my posts.

I think a lot of the GA guys use a mailing list to discuss local stuff. I forget the name but I'm sure you can find it if you check around.

#538 11 years ago

I agree with pinballdad about the mall. Seems like newer shopping centers are a mere exit away down Rt. 24 . I truly hope that Game Gallery can live on so that retro gaming can become the next best thing. That arcade has become a gem in my life on the road working on hail damaged cars. Pray for hail.

I envision an Arcade museum/restaurant on Broadway or Opryland. I'll help move the machines when we are ready to make the move.

#539 11 years ago

Yeah it's a shame about that part of town but speaks well of GG that they've been able to outlast just about everyone there. I think that they'll figure something out elsewhere and be even more successful.

#540 11 years ago
Quoted from ThisNotes4U:

I envision an Arcade museum/restaurant on Broadway or Opryland. I'll help move the machines when we are ready to make the move.

This is an interesting thought. If it ever comes to this and we get a good enough following, perhaps if push comes to shove we can all sign a petition to get Game Galaxy moved over to the Nashville Opryland Hotel if there's an opening but they don't want it. Then have a huge grand opening event/flash mob to actually show the place that there is money to be made and the effort is worth it. Think of the foot traffic! It's evident that Jason doesn't like to think about the grim future but we have to start somewhere.

#541 11 years ago

Not trying to sound negative, sorry for that. I will be leaving the area because my work gig is done. My hope is to return someday to a new and improved GG. Best wish's Jason.

We need a thread this strong in the Buffalo area. 500+ posts for Nashville, what's up with that?

I must add the 24/7 music scene on lower Broadway was the best anyone could ever ask for, what a great city. Can't wait to come back!

#542 11 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

diskoboy did you show up at the tournament? I don't think you ever said anything about going/not going.

Yeah. I was there. Silver button down shirt, and really short hair. I was the one who kept playing Whirlwind between rounds.

I'll also be at the museum tomorrow.

Actually, I just realized that Jason posted the CL ad I was referring to. I didn't notice the date on the pics until a few minutes ago. If it is legit, I'm willing to bet he used pics from when he bought the machine. It's probably got some wear on it now.

#543 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinballdad:

I do feel bad about the mall though. I walked around and could not understand. Where I live there is a mall about a half mile away...Macomb Mall. It is old. I like it still but have watched it age. Compared to Hickory it is no contest. I mean jeesh the rolling hills with trees next to the parking lot. The 2 level mall with the open atrium (you can look down to the lower level from above). A food court a mile long (well almost, sad they are half vacant). What a shame Hickory Hollow Mall wins hands

RE: Hickory Hollow. Jason, do you or anyone else on here have photos from this arcade from way back?

For those that don't know, I think this location has been an arcade almost non-stop since the 80's. It used to be called Tilt, which used to be called Gold Mine. I can remember when Dragon's Lair had just come out and they mounted a TV on top of the cabinet so people could watch it being played. I can remember the hologram game that Sega put out (Time Traveller, I think?) having a similar reaction. I'm damn old.

That's one of the things that's so great about GG to me. I can remember in the last days of Tilt when there might have been only about 20 games in it. Great to see it in the shape it's in these days. The mall isn't what it once was, but Angelos Pizza is right down the street (and if you don't know about that place, you're really missing out!)

#544 11 years ago
Quoted from diskoboy:

Actually, I just realized that Jason posted the CL ad I was referring to. I didn't notice the date on the pics until a few minutes ago. If it is legit, I'm willing to bet he used pics from when he bought the machine. It's probably got some wear on it now

I talked to him for a good 5-10 minutes. He sounded pretty legit. He was blown away by the amount of phone calls he got. Then he said his wife had made a mistake when she posted it and he actually meant to list it for $550.. ha. Said he had people call him from all over but he was holding it for a guy who jumped in his car and started driving "a few hours ago."

Quoted from williams:

but Angelos Pizza is right down the street

this I need to check out...

#545 11 years ago
Quoted from mystic:

diskoboy said:Actually, I just realized that Jason posted the CL ad I was referring to. I didn't notice the date on the pics until a few minutes ago. If it is legit, I'm willing to bet he used pics from when he bought the machine. It's probably got some wear on it now
I talked to him for a good 5-10 minutes. He sounded pretty legit. He was blown away by the amount of phone calls he got. Then he said his wife had made a mistake when she posted it and he actually meant to list it for $550.. ha. Said he had people call him from all over but he was holding it for a guy who jumped in his car and started driving "a few hours ago."

I noticed it was taken down last night.

Quoted from williams:

For those that don't know, I think this location has been an arcade almost non-stop since the 80's. It used to be called Tilt, which used to be called Gold Mine. I can remember when Dragon's Lair had just come out and they mounted a TV on top of the cabinet so people could watch it being played. I can remember the hologram game that Sega put out (Time Traveller, I think?) having a similar reaction. I'm damn old.

I've lived in Nashville on-and-off since 1982, and I remember when GG was the Gold Mine. When I first walked into Game Galaxy after they opened, I had the biggest smile on my face because it reminded me of Gold Mine. It was like literally walking into a time machine and stepping back out into 1982. Gold Mine was the first place I ever saw a Sinistar machine. And that game used to scare the bejesus out of me when I was 8 years old. But that's when HH mall wasn't a scary place to shop and was usually fairly crowded. Now when you walk back into the hallways, the cold hard reality of that place sets back in.

#546 11 years ago

Great retro museum day at Game Galaxy. It was cool to pick up three new pinball credits! I'd never played Batman, Black Knight, or Bay Watch. Thanks GG guys for another awesome event!

#547 11 years ago

We've very aware that Antioch/Cane Ridge/The Crossings is the way it is...unfortunately there really isn't much we can do except "survive" and that's about it. By all means I should have just not renewed the lease last month instead of renewing for another YEAR (gasp!) as of April 30th, but I got a significant rent decrease and as long as I can get tournaments in there and people buying console games the place will survive.

Fact: We are the only place to buy/sell/trade classic games and systems for 25 miles. The closest places would be Game Trader in Murfreesboro and McKays or Great Escape in West Nashville. We have that going for us because not even Smyrna has a store like that.

Fact: Southeast Davidson county's demographics are very very high. Bell Road traffic is insane. The population is increasing exponentially.

Fiction: The mall is closing. (They aren't) They are going to change the structure of the mall. I don't know if that means moving the stores left in the place or what have you, but there are two schools moving in around the end of the year...one is Nashville State and the other is a charter Middle School. Both of those places will help us later on but it makes sense to stay in the event those places do well.

I'm well aware of the challenges being in that place but understand that the rent/electricity are cheaper than anywhere in the entire area. Any place downtown would be a ton of money with the foot traffic involved and it's hard to say the place would make money but I challenge everyone to this thought:

I refuse to open a place of business with alcohol. I don't mind putting my games in a 50/50 split to an investor that would firmly believe a BARcade would help but I'm not getting involved with liquor and licensing. No way, let someone do that but I've got a ton of machines and that would save whoever a ton of money so keep that in mind= P

MWC: I don't know of any pics of the old Tilt/Gold Mine but an old drawing of the "miner" is still in the back room along the wall. I'm still desperate searching for pictures of one of my old arcades; Pirates Family Entertainment Center on Coral Way in Miami.

#548 11 years ago

We're all glad you're there Jason.Thanks for keeping the dream alive.

#549 11 years ago
Quoted from DreamTR:

...as long as I can get tournaments in there and people buying console games the place will survive...Southeast Davidson county's demographics are very very high. Bell Road traffic is insane. The population is increasing exponentially.

Wow that's different. Just a month ago you said foot traffic dropped 40% after Macy's left and it sounded like the arcade was in hot water. But if the tournaments and game store are the liferaft here, I say continue to expand the store and have more pinball tournaments.

Quoted from DreamTR:

Fiction: The mall is closing. (They aren't) They are going to change the structure of the mall. I don't know if that means moving the stores left in the place or what have you, but there are two schools moving in around the end of the year...one is Nashville State and the other is a charter Middle School. Both of those places will help us later on but it makes sense to stay in the event those places do well.

So, I heard an entire wing (or two) of the mall will be used for classrooms. Is that correct? Based on what you said a month ago I wasn't certain you would still be around to possibly see the school activity. Thanks for renewing that lease. Means a lot to us. Me especially since I have no past memories of a true arcade (I never got the chance to see one).

Quoted from DreamTR:

I don't know of any pics of the old Tilt/Gold Mine but an old drawing of the "miner" is still in the back room along the wall.

I would love to see a picture of this.

#550 11 years ago

Had a great time at the museum hadn't played a DE Batman before. Was it the one listed on CL recently?

Played CFTBL in the arcade as well and it was the first time I'd played one of those as well, I can see why it rates highly it's a really fun pin.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 84.99
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
$ 27.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

£ 49.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 180.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 249.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Surfside Beach, SC
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
There are 5,942 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 119.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsiders-in-the-nashville-tn-area/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.