Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170525_190042_HDR (resized).jpg
theatreofmagic-abstract (resized).jpg
Inserts-1 (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

Hi Fellas,

Some of you might remember me from the Metallica mishap. I decided to buy used and ended up purchasing a Theatre of Magic. It is in need of some LED bulbs and was wondering if anyone could give me their preferred LED's. Comet, A-blaze, CoinTaker, etc... I really want the inserts to pop. Appreciate the input. Thanks!!

#2 6 years ago

I started with titan and didn't love thier lights. (Thier rubbers thou are awesome!!) I have bought from comet for the past three years and have never been disappointed!!! So many options, always turns out great!

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

I started with titan and didn't love thier lights. (Thier rubbers thou are awesome!!) I have bought from comet for the past three years and have never been disappointed!!! So many options, always turns out great!

Do you do the single led?

#4 6 years ago

Everyone has their own favorite LEDs, I suppose. Mine are NiftyLEDs. The non-ghosting frosteds are my fave, but you can probably go with other styles for the inserts as well. Also, the flex style make some of those odd-fitting insert bulbs in TOM a breeze.

I updated my TOM awhile back to LEDs- here's a before & after pic of just the inserts I changed over to NiftyLEDs...

I later updated the GI as well, and the game looks great with the combination of great inserts that pop and some carefully-chosen colored GI to enhance the art on some of the plastics (IMHO).

Inserts-1 (resized).pngInserts-1 (resized).png

#5 6 years ago

Here's a pic from after I updated the GI. I went with a mix of reds, pinks, warm & cool whites, and yes, even some dreaded purples.

(Wow- uploading to pinside really crunches the image- the original is much more vibrant. But I think this gets the general idea across)

theatreofmagic-abstract (resized).jpgtheatreofmagic-abstract (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Pinball Bulbs, Comet, Nifty All Great LED's cant go wrong with any of them. Just don't buy the cheap single low end led's

If you want easy Pinball bulbs kits are easy and look good.

JJ

#7 6 years ago

If you want some of the best and brightest...... Cointaker. I use them in all my games. N/G premium in all inserts and frosted in GI. Also dont by the kits they BLOW. Use the bulb matrix in the manual and match the color to the insert . It will also tell you which style bulbs so make a list and go from there.

Tips for inserts.

Red for red inserts
Blue for blue inserts
Green for green inserts
Magenta for purple inserts ( the purples and not bright and washed out )
Cool white for yellow inserts ( these really pop and yellow LEDs are not bright )
Cool or warm for white.

Tips for GI

Warm white for lower playfield with colorful ( SM, SOP, T3, LOTR ) Use for a more traditional but BRIGHT look
Cool white on lower playfield for " rock " and space themes ( TRON, ACDC, MET, )
Colored for accent in main features area.

After you make a list of everything add 3/5 bulbs of each to experiment.

#8 6 years ago

Get SMDs and you'll be just fine no matter which company you choose.

#9 6 years ago

I use Cointaker frosted white Either cool or warm depending on coloring of game, Usually cool white for GI and a mixture of warm and cool in the backbox. I don't normally do kits. I use different bulbs under inserts depending on what I think looks best but I usually color match blues and greens...and reds. yellows I go with cool white frosted, and oranges I switch up with whichever makes it look better. I sometimes use colored under opaque white inserts to make them stand out or add some color.
Cointaker is great to deal with and I got a sample pack and experimented to see what I liked best.

Phoebe

#10 6 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the input. I think I'm gonna go with Cointaker.

#11 6 years ago

Ive heard bad things about cointaker but since i had the machine ive had the intention of trying them. Bought what i thought i needed, it wasnt enough but every led worked fine and man does it make those inserts pop

#12 6 years ago

Like others have said everyone has thier preference, I have bought cointaker, nifty, and comet. For me comet is local (well to the state at least) and has provided me with great customer service! They are my go to led source.

#13 6 years ago

I have purchased pinball bulbs, Cointaker, and Comet.
I prefer Comet, no complaints on any, just my preference.

#14 6 years ago

Seems like Cointaker and Comet are solid led's. I think I'm gonna try some from both companies and see which ones best fit my needs. Thank you again Pinsiders for the input?

#15 6 years ago

Anytime I used an led not from Cointaker, I wasn't impressed. Their service is top notch. I would build out the bulb colors and types you need instead of going with a kit.

#16 6 years ago

Yes, buy the cheapest goddamn ones...it's all the same shit to be honest. I have a mix of blaze 3s, cointaker, comet and have used diff'rent ones over the years. If you can tell the diff'rence between any of them when they're put in the average machine, you're either have the most amazing eyesight ever or a brain tumor giving you special powers (see a doctor).

Unless you're looking for something special I always advise to get frosted domes; they seem to work in the widest usage.
Here they are form Comet for cheap. You can buy them in bulk even cheaper.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/8mm-led.htm

Disclaimer: I also advise against using LED in GI for 90s games and think clown puking games look like shit but people seem to love it these days.

#17 6 years ago

Wish I had good photos of my old ToM for you. It looked great with LEDs without being over the top. A couple notes:

-Use flex type LEDs in the four small inserts next to the flippers. I had to also wrap with clear scotch tape to reduce the brightness.
-Comet Optimax LEDs in a warm white are best for GI (if you can afford them). Otherwise, do frosted.
-I like low power LEDs, like Pinball Life, for small inserts and Cointaker Supers for larger inserts.
-Keep the incandescent bulbs in the pop bumpers - makes for a nice warm glow.
-I added a couple spotlights to the top of the slings to brighten up the middle of the playfield.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Disclaimer: I also advise against using LED in GI for 90s games and think clown puking games look like shit but people seem to love it these days.

People also tend to forget you can use pure or warm whites in GI. I have never understood why people pick a color they like from the plastic and then match the LED to the same color so the whole area is blown out with some ridiculous blue. IMO LEDs look best when color matched to inserts and flashers and GI are white - cool or warm to preference.

As an exception to this, I did put greens inside the Borg ship on my STTNG. During parts of the game when they're on, the whole game is almost lit up green and adds to the experience of being overtaken by the Borg.

Also, Comet has my vote for the best I've used so far.

#19 6 years ago

I tried a few different brands on my Bally Lost World. I wanted to keep the warm white look of incandescent. I eventually settled on Nifty. Their warm bulbs are the only bulbs I tried that didn't have a weird tint to them. They are also very bright. Couldn't be happier with them.

20170525_190042_HDR (resized).jpg20170525_190042_HDR (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 11.95
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Sandy Springs, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsiders-go-to-leds?hl=greenmarine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.