Topic Stats

• 311 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Isochronic_Frost
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3242 (resized).PNG
    1ERES APPARITIONS (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image-7_(resized).jpg
    ppe18_neontact5.JPG
    pinball_hercules_atari_1979_3.JPG
    Barracora_pf.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#169 10 years ago

I was searching for first habitrail. While Firepower II does have the wireform over the playfield thing, it's not "exactly" what I'd call a habitrail, perhaps since the ball doesn't really change direction with it, and there aren't the rings that we are used to seeing that create the illusion of a tube.

Wouldn't the hard-line answer on first habitrail be Big Guns?
    -mof

3 months later
    #175 10 years ago

First banked shot? (Not accessible directly from flippers)
    Nine Ball ?
    -mof

5 months later
    #176 9 years ago

First ramp only shootable via playfield flipper?
    High Speed ?
    -mof

#177 9 years ago

Q: What was the first game to trap a ball for multi-ball behind a line of inline targets (like in Fathom) ?
    -mof

#178 9 years ago

Q: What is the first game that requires accomplishing a set of goals on the playfield on a single ball, which leads to a jackpot mode? (like in Taxi)

-mof

#179 9 years ago

Q: What is the first game to have a solenoid fire the ball to an upper playfield or bagatelle? (like in Space Station)

-mof

#180 9 years ago

Q: What is the first game to have a cellar with a kick back? (like in Cyclone)

-mof

#181 9 years ago

Q: What is the first game to sometimes lock a ball for multiball via diverter after making a ramp shot? (like in Whirlwind)

-mof

#182 9 years ago

Q: What is the first game to return a ramp shot safely to an inlane? (like in Cyclone)

-mof

#183 9 years ago

Q: What pin is the first to have variable length Magna Save? (like in Grand Lizard)

-mof

#185 9 years ago

Q: What pin is the first to have a topper triggered only by certain achievements in the game (like in Whirlwind)

(My GF came up with this one!)

-mof

#186 9 years ago

Q: What pin is the first to have a moving 3D toy that has a function in the game? (like in Space Station)

(My GF came up with this one!)

-mof

#188 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Many firsts are not really "firsts" if you ignore EM games that had them. This list won't be valid unless you give design credit where it's due.

I agree with this sentiment. I think a useful outcome for this thread would be to create a timeline of innovation and show which pins/designers brought this forth. I respect the request to not include EMs in SS/DMD/Moden threads where people are trying to "find that next pin to buy, where they know they don't want an EM" -- but this thread isn't about shopping help. This thread is about compiling history. EMs and their designers deserve credit...

-mof

#189 9 years ago

Q: What was the first game to taunt you for not making an achievement quickly? (like in Diner, "You are too slow")

-mof

#194 9 years ago

There are 70+ unanswered questions in this quiz. I'm surprised more haven't been solved yet...
    -mof

1 week later
    #199 9 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Updated. Thanks.

I would greatly appreciate if you marked your updates here, so we can know what the delta changes are.
    thanks!
    -mof

11 months later
    #214 8 years ago

One of the best threads on Pinside -- hope we continue to grow it.
    -mof

#215 8 years ago

1. When is the first "single-resettable" drop target like we see in 1981 with Barracora (must hit the drops in order or it pops back up)

2. When is the first "programmed middle of the PF drop target" like we see in 1982 Defender (and used later in games like NGG and MM as bash toys)

3. When is the first "droppable" set of targets via a button. Defender ?

4. When is the first manual kick-save. Defender?

5. When is the first manual center post save? Fireball II? -- is this a copy from an EM?

-mof

#216 8 years ago

Cyclone Firsts ?

1. First scoop with kickback ?
    2. First ball returned to inlane via ramp ?
    3. First game with total playfield choreography (every shot makes a sound integrated into the game) -- or does High Speed earn that?
    4. First under PF subway ?
    5. First mystery award ? NO. See Black Knight.

-mof

#217 8 years ago

Fathom First?

Trapped multiball saucer behind set of inline targets?

-mof

#218 8 years ago

Nine Ball

First multiball ball lock that can't be made without a bank shot ?

-mof

#219 8 years ago

Sorcerer

First curved wall of stand up targets in the middle of the playfield? (Likely an EM had done this previously)

-mof

#220 8 years ago

Space Station, 1987
    1. First toy that moved?
    2. First VUK?
    3. first game with TWO sets of lights !
    -mof

#221 8 years ago

Whirlwind, 1990
    First shot progression with lights (that are not strictly a single bank of 1-2-3-4-5 targets)?
    -mof

#222 8 years ago

Funhouse, 1990
    first trap door?
    -mof

#223 8 years ago

use of a lane diverter (not at playfield bottom), space shuttle? 1984
    use of a ramp diverter, high speed? 1986
    -mof

#225 8 years ago

^^^ I'd appreciate some agreement/disagreement/corrections to my most recent posts from some of you pinball experts! ^^^
    -mof

#227 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kineticross:

2. Technically Pin*Bot had the first ball that could be returned to an inlane through the ramp; one of the exits off the mini-playfield leads to the right inlane.
    5. I believe Black Knight had the first Mystery award (left inlane rollover lights it at the right ramp)

ty!

Good call on black knight.
    I see your point it's "technically" pinbot on the inlane thing, even though I don't think of that as one fluid "ramp motion to inlane" in my memory bank -- I guess it actually is. Can the ball exit in another way, or does it always exit to inlane?

-mof

#228 8 years ago

First figure-8 shaped dual-entry orbit (not-squared off on the edges like High Speed)
    Seawitch
    -mof

3 years later
    #299 5 years ago

This is one of the best threads ever. I wish O-din would start one up for just EMs... since so much pinball invention happens on EMs first...

-mof

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsiders-christmas-quiz-on-pinball-history?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.