Topic Stats

• 311 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Isochronic_Frost
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3242 (resized).PNG
    1ERES APPARITIONS (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image-7_(resized).jpg
    ppe18_neontact5.JPG
    pinball_hercules_atari_1979_3.JPG
    Barracora_pf.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Yeah. I will work out a series of "last featured"? (I know last single ball is Bad Cats, which I would loooooooove to play).
    First CPU game for sale is said to be Spirit Of 76'.
    However, from a speak on this years Expo, I've learned about some very mysterious games from manufacture Coffee-mat. A make that was born CPU. Go check it out.
    Bally's Flicker is said to be the first CPU based pinball game (prototype).

Sorry, but Bally Built 100 Bow and Arrow pins with a CPU in it before Spirit of '76.
    But the boards were located under the playfield instead of the backbox (but basically the same hardware theyused in the other early CP driven games). But if I recall, the Flicker prototype (with electronics from Nutting)predated Bow and Arrow.

#79 11 years ago
    Quoted from Danzig:

Circus Voltair may be the first to use neon but it's not the "only." Don't forget, Star Wars Episode 1 had the neon light saber.

Bally's Strange Science (1987) had a neon light on top of the back box.

#80 11 years ago

"First playfield display? Spirit, 1982"

Wrong! Black Hole 1981.

3 weeks later
    #86 11 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

Cabaret (1968) was the first Williams game to feature an up-post between the flippers.
    http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=415
    Apparently the very first game to use one was Rally's Playboy (1967).
    http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2043
    Those aren't CPU controlled games, however, so I don't know if they count for this list.

I believe the first Solid State pin to have a pop-up post was Williams Contact (1978).

2 weeks later
    #90 11 years ago

First official movie license ( I may be wrong but,) Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

1 week later
    #101 11 years ago

(correct me if I'm wrong...)

First automated ramp: Mars God of War (1981)

2 months later
    #114 11 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Here's my answers/additions/corrections:

First loudspeaker in the backbox? Heavy Metal Meltdown 1987

... and not most of the Gottlieb system 80 pins that had them in the back box?

Quoted from snyper2099:

First two-way-out saucer or hole eject? Congo, 1995
    no way!, Flash Gordon (Bally 1980)

Wrong. Viking had this feature months before Flash Gordon came out.

Quoted from snyper2099:

l

First plunge skill shot on a device only used for this? Spy Hunter, 1984???
    Thought Mr./Ms. pac-man had this feature and was a year before this in 1983

Medusa: 1981. Remember "Time your shot. Light Gorgons"?

#119 11 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Gottlieb did already have animated backboxes with moving parts.

Gottlieb's 1947 Humpty Dumpty had animation of Humpty falling off the wall (via advancing lights behind the back glass).

#121 11 years ago

First backbox topper? Space Shuttle 1984

Should have caught this one earlier. 1979 Atari Hercules. Came with a topper saying "Play the worlds largest pinball game".

pinball_hercules_atari_1979_3.JPGpinball_hercules_atari_1979_3.JPG

1 week later
    #123 11 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Not sure about this: first game with a tilt warning: Centaur (operator adjustable, see: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=476)

All Williams pins with electronic sound had an audible tilt warning, but Centaur probably is the first with a visible on on the back glass.

3 weeks later
    #125 11 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Awesome contributions.

Pinball Circus has a metal cockscrew the ball is travelling down at. I was wondering if a similar feature was seen on a production game.

Black Hole had a cork screw that lowered the ball to the lower playfeild.

#127 11 years ago

probably wrong on this but ...
    First sequel game (I.E. II Deluxe etc) Eightball Deluxe

2 months later
    #134 11 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

First plunge skill shot on a device only used for this? Spy Hunter, 1984???
    Thought Mr./Ms. pac-man had this feature and was a year before this in 1983

... to wich I replied:

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Medusa: 1981. Remember "Time your shot. Light Gorgons"?

Which I will correct, because I played one again last week: Fireball (1972).
    Top of the play-feild, shoot too hard, ball goes out near the left bumper, too soft, goes out near the right bumper, but if you're careful, ball rolls down the incline over a 1000 pt. roll-over, or get it right, and go over three roll-overs on the other side for 3000 points!

#136 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tomdpin:

First magnet lifting the ball into free air? Theatre of Magic, 1995???..... Rescue 911, 1993

Banzai Run 1988.

#139 11 years ago

Comet Ramp: It just goes from the center of the playfeild and drops the ball off in front of the shooter lane gate. Hardly a toy.

#142 11 years ago
    Quoted from Cliffy:

Correction. Pamco's Neontact had neon tubes for scoring AND as features on the playfield in 1935. Here's a pic I snapped of Richard Congers game at the PPE show in '07.

We have a winner! You sir win one internet!

2 months later
    #144 10 years ago

First Comic book license pin: Superman (3/1979)

#145 10 years ago

First (and only one of few) pinball machine that says in a voice how many balls per game in power up:
    Eight-Ball Deluxe

#149 10 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Some folks have posted EM machine "firsts" while the primary list is in fact "pinball firsts" for Solid State machines.

Limiting list to Solid State pins is lame. To many features pre date Digital electronics on pins, and there's a few year span where there were SS and EM versions of games. Were flippers introduced on the first SS pin? No. They've been around since 1947. Skill shots, Pop Bumpers, 6 digit scoring? they've been around since before SS pins.

#150 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Judge Dredd 1993 also.

Again: Banzai Run 1988.

#155 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

The reason I decided to do this project on CPU based games only is mainly because I find it interesting how people where rethinking "the pingame" when they oppotunities of the CPU where giving to them. Or rather didn't. Try and look around and see how many years the simple-scoring-for-each-player-in-the-corners-of-the-backglass was the norm.
    I appreciate each and every step of the innovation of pinball. But the mechanical innovations of the 50s/60s are well documented. So I draw a line and ask, what was brought to us after the CPU arrived.

Still lame.

Quoted from soren:

Here is an update to the latest additions. I still cannot edit
    I decided to skip the comic license entry. Sorry.

Based on what? You Include Wizard as the first license theme (BTW an EM!) and disqualify Hercules for "First to use non metal balls". Seems like the results are being skewed.

1 year later
    #205 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_keefer:

Almost assuredly a Zaccaria game of some kind (commonly 10x, 20x, even 60x I think).

Flight 2000. Add the 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X, 5X multipliers and get 15X

#206 9 years ago

Just occurred to me today:

First vocal prompt (instruction): Xenon (Try the Tube Shot!)

1 year later
    #229 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

1. When is the first "single-resettable" drop target like we see in 1981 with Barracora (must hit the drops in order or it pops back up)

-mof

Alien Poker (Williams 1980) five target bank (or later Jungle Lord "Double Trouble" bank).

Quoted from mof:

4. When is the first manual kick-save. Defender?

-mof

Devils Dare (Gottlieb 1981)

#238 8 years ago

"MANUAL" Kick Save as in player has to activate it via a button. Still Devils Dare.

#239 8 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Actually was Bally's Freedom. These were released games to route operators, not prototypes/test games only. O-din's Grand Prix mention was also for released games. Both versions of Freedom were released prior to the Williams release of Grand Prix.
    Those were "Space Race" like times in the pinball industry for sure.

Weren't there about a dozen Bow and Arrows done a SS before Freedom?

3 months later
    #249 7 years ago
    Quoted from viperrwk:

Although it never officially went into production the first game without a manual plunger and the first game to start with multiball was Goin Nuts (1983). It may also have been the first with no outlanes and a countdown ball timer.
    It deserves honorable mention at least for the first two.
    viperrwk

Just caught this. Although also not a game that made production, Williams Thunderball had no manual plunger two years before Goin' Nuts and if EM's were included I believe Williams 1972 Winner would be the first, or at least one of the earliest.

2 years later
    #300 5 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Devil's Dare - 8/82
    Volcano - 9/81
    Volcano's left out-lane could be lit for the kickback. But you had to use the second left flipper to activate the save.

Embryon 6/81 (the Flip-save feature)
    From IPDB:
    " ... It was also the only game from this company to use their trademarked "Flipsave" ball saving feature - a small vertical flipper located in the right outlane used by players to flip draining balls back into the return lane."

2 years later
    #309 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Looking at OP I know it’s been almost 10 years…
    First ball plunger triggered by player…there were a couple wedgehead where you hit the flipper to receive the ball into play. It came through between the flippers so I’m not sure if that counts but it is player controlled.

This was also a feature on Williams Winner.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsiders-christmas-quiz-on-pinball-history?tu=girloveswaffles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.