Topic Stats

• 311 posts
  • 93 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Isochronic_Frost
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3242 (resized).PNG
    1ERES APPARITIONS (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    image-7_(resized).jpg
    ppe18_neontact5.JPG
    pinball_hercules_atari_1979_3.JPG
    Barracora_pf.jpg

There are 311 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 10 years ago

First Spinners, - 1963 Gottlieb Swing Along

#152 10 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Limiting list to Solid State pins is lame. To many features pre date Digital electronics on pins, and there's a few year span where there were SS and EM versions of games. Were flippers introduced on the first SS pin? No. They've been around since 1947. Skill shots, Pop Bumpers, 6 digit scoring? they've been around since before SS pins.

Not my choice. Shooting the messenger on Pinside seems to always be the norm though.

#153 10 years ago

The reason I decided to do this project on CPU based games only is mainly because I find it interesting how people where rethinking "the pingame" when they oppotunities of the CPU where giving to them. Or rather didn't. Try and look around and see how many years the simple-scoring-for-each-player-in-the-corners-of-the-backglass was the norm.

I appreciate each and every step of the innovation of pinball. But the mechanical innovations of the 50s/60s are well documented. So I draw a line and ask, what was brought to us after the CPU arrived.

#154 10 years ago

Here is an update to the latest additions. I still cannot edit the main posting on the thread.

First ball interacting playfield toy? Comet, 1985
    First deliberate air ball or cannon (non vertical)? Comet, 1985
    First million points award? Comet, 1985
    First up/down (big) flipper centre post preventing drain? Power Play, 1977
    First magnet lifting the ball into free air? Banzai Run, 1988

I decided to skip the comic license entry. Sorry.

#155 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

The reason I decided to do this project on CPU based games only is mainly because I find it interesting how people where rethinking "the pingame" when they oppotunities of the CPU where giving to them. Or rather didn't. Try and look around and see how many years the simple-scoring-for-each-player-in-the-corners-of-the-backglass was the norm.
    I appreciate each and every step of the innovation of pinball. But the mechanical innovations of the 50s/60s are well documented. So I draw a line and ask, what was brought to us after the CPU arrived.

Still lame.

Quoted from soren:

Here is an update to the latest additions. I still cannot edit
    I decided to skip the comic license entry. Sorry.

Based on what? You Include Wizard as the first license theme (BTW an EM!) and disqualify Hercules for "First to use non metal balls". Seems like the results are being skewed.

#156 10 years ago

Although it never officially went into production the first game without a manual plunger and the first game to start with multiball was Goin Nuts (1983). It may also have been the first with no outlanes and a countdown ball timer.
    It deserves honorable mention at least for the first two.

viperrwk

1 week later
    #157 10 years ago

Reposted with a link. See next.

2 weeks later
    #158 10 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

First complete blackout? Blackout, 1980

My pin made the list!

Blackout was the first pinball game to have computer-controlled general illumination, used for the "BLACKOUT" sequence. This was accomplished using a relay mounted to the backbox floor, called the G.I. Relay, which cut power to all playfield lamps.

Prior to "Blackout", all solid state games from this manufacturer used four bolts to attach the backbox to the cabinet. With "Blackout" and later games, Williams used only two bolts even if the steel was still stamped for four holes.

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=blackout&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#317

#159 10 years ago

Whoops, apparently I already posted this.

Post edited by balbers : Double Post

#160 10 years ago

Age you were when you first got laid. I'm guessing for most of us the first digit is >= 2.

2 weeks later
    #162 10 years ago

First under playfield, playfield & first tri-level playfield both go to Elektra.

#163 10 years ago

Pinball Magazine No.2 features a small interview with Soren about the Pinball Firsts List. It also lists a number of firsts in Dennis Nordman designs, who is featured in the career covering cover story. Not all of the listed firsts in the magazine are listed in the list (yet).

Jonathan
    www.pinball-magazine.com

1 week later
    #164 10 years ago

Updated.

Speical thanks to Jonathan.

#165 10 years ago

First game with a ramp shot hit from the flippers would be Black Knight? Correct?

#166 10 years ago

Actually Flash Gordon was prior to Black Knight. But the idea was brought to Bally by a former Williams guy, and Bally was able to rush the game out.

First ramp to a second level ball pathway was Xenon.

1 month later
    #167 10 years ago

First motorized, moving target- Williams Magic Clock- 1960

#168 10 years ago
    Quoted from viperrwk:

Although it never officially went into production the first game without a manual plunger and the first game to start with multiball was Goin Nuts (1983). It may also have been the first with no outlanes and a countdown ball timer.
    It deserves honorable mention at least for the first two.
    viperrwk

Ever hear of a little game called Spectrum? No plunger and no outlanes. 1981

2 weeks later
    #169 10 years ago

I was searching for first habitrail. While Firepower II does have the wireform over the playfield thing, it's not "exactly" what I'd call a habitrail, perhaps since the ball doesn't really change direction with it, and there aren't the rings that we are used to seeing that create the illusion of a tube.

Wouldn't the hard-line answer on first habitrail be Big Guns?
    -mof

#170 10 years ago

I'm going to take a shot at it

First Compressed Digital Audio- Williams Indiana Jones 1993

#171 10 years ago

This is prob wrong but

First Designer featured on Backglass- Capt. Fantastic & the brown dirt cowboy 1975

#172 10 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

It plays a midi (I think its midi) tune at game over. Part of Rock and roll all night I think. Not a KISS fan so not sure of the song.

When you start a game it plays "Rock n Roll all Night". When your last ball drains it plays "Shout it out Loud".

1 week later
    #173 10 years ago

IJ4 has 8 ball multiball so the question with 6 or more only being Appollo is incorrect

1 week later
    #174 10 years ago

Updated for latest additions. Thanks.

3 months later
    #175 10 years ago

First banked shot? (Not accessible directly from flippers)
    Nine Ball ?
    -mof

5 months later
    #176 9 years ago

First ramp only shootable via playfield flipper?
    High Speed ?
    -mof

#177 9 years ago

Q: What was the first game to trap a ball for multi-ball behind a line of inline targets (like in Fathom) ?
    -mof

#178 9 years ago

Q: What is the first game that requires accomplishing a set of goals on the playfield on a single ball, which leads to a jackpot mode? (like in Taxi)

-mof

#179 9 years ago

Q: What is the first game to have a solenoid fire the ball to an upper playfield or bagatelle? (like in Space Station)

-mof

#180 9 years ago

Q: What is the first game to have a cellar with a kick back? (like in Cyclone)

-mof

#181 9 years ago

Q: What is the first game to sometimes lock a ball for multiball via diverter after making a ramp shot? (like in Whirlwind)

-mof

#182 9 years ago

Q: What is the first game to return a ramp shot safely to an inlane? (like in Cyclone)

-mof

#183 9 years ago

Q: What pin is the first to have variable length Magna Save? (like in Grand Lizard)

-mof

#184 9 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

First Captive Ball Atari Airborne Avengers - 1977

Atari was ahead of their time

I think there were plenty of captive ball EM games. Bally had them on Sky Kings in 1974 and there were probably many before that. I don't think it's a good idea to just tabulate those "firsts" for SS games.

Many firsts are not really "firsts" if you ignore EM games that had them. This list won't be valid unless you give design credit where it's due.

#185 9 years ago

Q: What pin is the first to have a topper triggered only by certain achievements in the game (like in Whirlwind)

(My GF came up with this one!)

-mof

#186 9 years ago

Q: What pin is the first to have a moving 3D toy that has a function in the game? (like in Space Station)

(My GF came up with this one!)

-mof

#187 9 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Then you need to leave out things that had no bearing on CPUs... ramps, captive balls, multi-ball, none of that really is fundamentally different with a CPU. Actually, I find your restriction to CPU-based games to not really be a valid argument. Don't call them "firsts." They're not "firsts." They're more like "elevenths" if you're only counting stuff since the late 1970s. If you want your list to be taken seriously, you cannot ignore the work of other people decades before.

#188 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Many firsts are not really "firsts" if you ignore EM games that had them. This list won't be valid unless you give design credit where it's due.

I agree with this sentiment. I think a useful outcome for this thread would be to create a timeline of innovation and show which pins/designers brought this forth. I respect the request to not include EMs in SS/DMD/Moden threads where people are trying to "find that next pin to buy, where they know they don't want an EM" -- but this thread isn't about shopping help. This thread is about compiling history. EMs and their designers deserve credit...

-mof

#189 9 years ago

Q: What was the first game to taunt you for not making an achievement quickly? (like in Diner, "You are too slow")

-mof

#190 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Q: What is the first game that requires accomplishing a set of goals on the playfield on a single ball, which leads to a jackpot mode? (like in Taxi)
    -mof

Comet

#191 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Q: What is the first game to return a ramp shot safely to an inlane? (like in Cyclone)
    -mof

Road Kings

#193 9 years ago

I found the answer to one I believe...

First plunge serving the ball at the flippers (possibly via skill shot device)?

1981 - Bally - Spectrum

-Steve

#194 9 years ago

There are 70+ unanswered questions in this quiz. I'm surprised more haven't been solved yet...
    -mof

1 week later
    #195 9 years ago

Great thread! Interesting facts and entertaining to read.

#196 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Q: What is the first game to have a solenoid fire the ball to an upper playfield or bagatelle? (like in Space Station)
    -mof

Haunted House has this, but I don't know if it's the oldest.

#198 9 years ago
    Quoted from njPinWiz:

Great thread! Interesting facts and entertaining to read.

Absolutely, this is one of my favorite threads!

#199 9 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Updated. Thanks.

I would greatly appreciate if you marked your updates here, so we can know what the delta changes are.
    thanks!
    -mof

#200 9 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Q: What was the first game to taunt you for not making an achievement quickly? (like in Diner, "You are too slow")
    -mof

Centaur stated " Slow, aren't you?" if you didn't move the lane change to the proper lane in time.

There are 311 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsiders-christmas-quiz-on-pinball-history/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.