(Topic ID: 177826)

Pinsider's Choice - 2016 Best After-Market Mod (nominate)

By badbilly27

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Rdoyle1978
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinsiders Choice (resized).png

#1 7 years ago

The Pinsider's Choice Awards is under way. If you haven't voted yet, vote now:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2016-pinheads-choice-awards

We have a category for "best after-market mod for 2016" that we need nominations to create a poll for. Please use this thread to nominate (and second) any after-market mod released in 2016 that warrants consideration to be named "the best of 2016".

From this thread, we'll pick the top 5 and create a poll to vote. Thanks all!

Pinsiders Choice (resized).pngPinsiders Choice (resized).png

#2 7 years ago

LED ColorDMD. Does that count?

#3 7 years ago

I don't buy many mods but these two stood out to me and I picked up both.

Not cheap but VERY high quality and fixes a sore spot with the game:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-witch-red-smoke-mod

Very cheap and awesome mod:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-pro-skulls-in-coffin-mod

#4 7 years ago

Total Light Show for Metallica!

#5 7 years ago

BOP 2.0? Not sure if it counts as initial release was pre 2016.

#6 7 years ago

I'm with clg on the WOZ red smoke mod. Superb

#9 7 years ago

Take yer pick:

PDI glass
    LED OCD
    Pinsound
    FF speakers

4 essential upgrades that I do to almost every machine (except Pinsound, but that's a must on some machines like IJ).

I also love the shooter lane strobe on my AFM that Pinball Pro makes...along with the Bill Ung mods, it transforms the game.

And then there's Mezel's stuff...man, this is like Sophie's Choice.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

LED ColorDMD. Does that count?

Needs to be released in 2016. Which ColorDMD games were released in 2016?

Quoted from 85vett:

BOP 2.0? Not sure if it counts as initial release was pre 2016.

If confirmed released in 2016 it could count. I thought first batch was 2015?

Quoted from beelzeboob:

Take yer pick:
    PDI glass
    LED OCD
    Pinsound
    FF speakers

No doubt great mods. Remember, released in 2016.

#13 7 years ago

Lightning bolts for pinball legs.

Steve

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Take yer pick:
    PDI glass
    LED OCD
    Pinsound
    FF speakers
    4 essential upgrades that I do to almost every machine (except Pinsound, but that's a must on some machines like IJ).
    I also love the shooter lane strobe on my AFM that Pinball Pro makes...along with the Bill Ung mods, it transforms the game.
    And then there's Mezel's stuff...man, this is like Sophie's Choice.

I'm curious why Pinsound is a must-have upgrade on IJ? I thought IJ was the first DCS Game and therefore has way superior sound?

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

No doubt great mods. Remember, released in 2016.

Oops...sorry. Then I'm going with the Pinball Pro shooter lane strobe mod.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm curious why Pinsound is a must-have upgrade on IJ? I thought IJ was the first DCS Game and therefore has way superior sound?

First you should know that IJ is my grail game...I had HEP restore it for me. Second, I'm a musician and teacher, so music and sound are hugely important for me.

Once you hear the original John Williams score coming through great (upgraded) speakers in stereo no less, you'll ever wonder how you played the game with that horrible MIDI music.

And remember that DCS sound was way superior in 1993. It's 24 years later, and sound has come a long way.

Endprodukt has done a masterful job with the IJ reorchestrations, and it's worth every penny to buy the board and load in the sound samples. Trust me on this!

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

Needs to be released in 2016. Which ColorDMD games were released in 2016?

Not sure about which games specifically. I was referring to the new LED panel hardware (vs the existing LCD panels). I think that was just released in 2016.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from nman:

Not sure about which games specifically. I was referring to the new LED panel hardware (vs the existing LCD panels). I think that was just released in 2016.

ColorDMD wasn't the first to develop and release them for sale, though.

#19 7 years ago

Bump

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

Lightning bolts for pinball legs.
    Steve
    » YouTube video

We must think alike because I made a set of those a couple of years ago and never got around to finishing them.

#21 7 years ago

2016 wasn't the most exciting year for new mods apparently. Of the ones nominated the red smoke witch is my fav, seen it in person, really nice work.

#22 7 years ago

Ill vote for all of the above.

Some of these, i hadmt seen before!

The intelligence and passion many have in this
    Hobby never ceases to Amaze me!

We are very lucky compared to many hobbies
    Online.

I believe the best of us combined could make
    the Best Pin Ever!

Only sad i have dreams about this.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

2016 wasn't the most exciting year for new mods apparently.

I'm surprised as well. Don't be bashful and nominate yourself. Just so hard to keep track of them all.

Was TWD sound a 2016 release by cleland?

#24 7 years ago

All the Cliffy protectors that were designed and produced in 2016.

#25 7 years ago

The first things that come to mind are Herg's GI & LED OCD boards & ColorDMD but they aren't 2016 innovations. So I'll nominate maffewls POTC sneeze guard eliminator mod. It's really simple and effective .

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maffewls-potc-airball-deflector-for-sneezeguard-removal

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Chambo:

I'm with clg on the WOZ red smoke mod. Superb

Count me as another vote for the red smoke mod for WOZ

#27 7 years ago

Okay, how about taking it over the top. Its a bit much but might look good on a game like GB.

Steve

Quoted from fiberdude120:

We must think alike because I made a set of those a couple of years ago and never got around to finishing them.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from DeathHimself:

All the Cliffy protectors that were designed and produced in 2016.

Oops! That would work also.

Cliff is too good of a friend of mine to make mad!

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

I'm surprised as well. Don't be bashful and nominate yourself. Just so hard to keep track of them all.

I haven't done anything new since getting involved with Alien, sucked up all my pinball side project time, no being bashful here, I'm not involved in the conversation.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from badbilly27:

If confirmed released in 2016 it could count. I thought first batch was 2015?

It was released prior. They had a batch delivered in 2016 but that doesn't count based off the rules of this contest.

1 week later
    #31 7 years ago

Final call on nominations....will post vote later today

#32 7 years ago

I'm nominating one of my Refinery Purple Monster Edition Metallica Premium #26.... Its Amazing Light show and upgrades.

Steve
    MI Pinball Refinery

#33 7 years ago

I nominate my RGB.PIN.DMD-XL for Sega 192x64 DMD replacement running on the fabulous Pin2dmd-XL firmware created by Lucky1!

See my nomination with a smile

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

First you should know that IJ is my grail game...I had HEP restore it for me. Second, I'm a musician and teacher, so music and sound are hugely important for me.
    Once you hear the original John Williams score coming through great (upgraded) speakers in stereo no less, you'll ever wonder how you played the game with that horrible MIDI music.
    And remember that DCS sound was way superior in 1993. It's 24 years later, and sound has come a long way.
    Endprodukt has done a masterful job with the IJ reorchestrations, and it's worth every penny to buy the board and load in the sound samples. Trust me on this!

Now this *does* make sense! I didn't realize there were extensive remixes for IJ as well as TZ (the only game I have a PinSound in). Seems obvious, in retrospect!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsiders-choice-2016-best-after-market-mod-nominate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.