Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pins4u
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I've once heard (Pat Lawlor I believe) that people who play and collect pinball machines are some of the most unique (awesomeness implied) people in the world.

From the few people I've met within the last year, floating down this rabbit hole, I would definitely have to agree.

Curiosity wants to know what makes you awesome and thinking outside of the cabinet!?!

5 answers allowed:

1: Current /degree/job or not (nobody's allowed to judge on this post). This is a fkn happy post. Lol

2: Past job that you enjoyed

3. Hobby

4. Hobby

5. Something that you're good/natural at that gravitated you to pins.

For me...

#1 X-Ray Tech

#2 Construction worker (built houses).

#3 Electronics/computers/audio-visual/V.R. and beyond.

#4 Golf

#5 MacGyver. My favorite show as a kid and have always loved ripping things apart to se how they work and putting them back together.

Your turn please, and go....

#2 2 years ago

1. BS mechanical engineering / airline pilot
    2. Air Force pilot
    3. Photography
    4. Physical fitness
    5. I was also a MacGyver; always taking things apart and usually putting them back together.

#3 2 years ago

1. Mech Engineer - Product Design Manager
    2. Building Weight Shift Aircraft
    3. Surfing
    4. Family
    5. Designing and making stuff and first pinball was a surf themed pinball

#4 2 years ago

1: BBA, MBA, MS, BA (soon) / Project Management-Cyber Security-Satellite Communications
    2: Marine Corps Communications Officer
    3. Reef keeping/ Coral Propagation
    4. Family
    5. Family literally ran an arcade growing up.

#5 2 years ago

1. CPA
    2. Bartender
    3. Golf
    4. Board games
    5. Buttons. I’ve always been fascinated by buttons. Haha

#6 2 years ago

1. Farmer
    2. None
    3.corvettes
    4.snowmobiles
    5. Mechanical aptitude

#7 2 years ago

1. Mechanical Engineering
    2. Roller Coaster operator.
    3. Bowling
    4. Amusement parks
    5. As early as 3 yrs old, I remember going to our local mall where there was an Alladin's Castle arcade. My dad and I always stopped to play the pinball machines. Plus I loved taking things apart. The rest is history!

#8 2 years ago

1: Electrical Engineer
    2: Substation Relay and Controls Design
    3. Pinball Machine Repair and playing the machine
    4. Chess
    5. Repair of various electrical and electronic devices

#9 2 years ago

1. Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, MBA
    2. Software Engineer for Solidworks - still there so past and present.
    3. Dad to young children.
    4. Boston sports teams. Pinside.
    5. Mechanical Engineering and Software Engineering of course. Almost all of the major pin manufacturers use Solidworks to design them. In fact Super Chexx is designed with SolidWorks as well. In 2016 ICE and Stern brought machines to the SolidWorks World conference, there's where it started for me to build a home arcade with SolidWorks designed games as much as possible and I've designed game mods using SolidWorks for my own machines.

#10 2 years ago

1. Telecommunications--( Networking/ IT Security) -Work in Data Centers mostly on Virtual Machines Linux based for phone systems.
    2. Best class in high school was electronics, we could bring our own stuff in to repair Tuesday nights, loved it. Then joined Air Force and learned Telecommunications.
    3. I have always loved taking things apart and fixing.
    4. Pinball as of the last few years, brings back memory's of the bowling ally and playing arcade and pinball.
    5. I guess its the puzzle of figuring out how something works, doesn't matter what it is. I think I enjoy working on pinball machines a little more than playing them.

#11 2 years ago

1. Retired (NYPD) and loving it....
    2. Police Officer/Detective (During the days when we were appreciated)
    3. RC Helicopters, Planes, Cars
    4. Model Railroading, ATV's, PC Video Gaming (COD, Warzone etc...)
    5. Lights and sounds, always loved good visual effects with a nice sound package to go with it.

#12 2 years ago

The real meat of this for me is "Computers". I started into it with no education, and turned it into a full career. I'm so lucky I was born in a time that a nerd who was a natural at computers could make a good living off of it.

I hope that is still the case, where someone with natural aptitude could just start work in an industry and through determination work their way up. But I fear that isn't the case anymore.

#13 2 years ago

1. I own a golf course in Maine, I manage a golf course in Washington State, and I own a golf cart rental/repair/sales business in Washington State.
    2. An assistant pro job I had in the early 80's.
    3. Golf
    4. Pinball
    5. I was good at skipping school so I could play pinball at a local diner.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

1. I own a golf course in Maine, I manage a golf course in Washington State, and I own a golf cart rental/repair/sales business in Washington State.
    3. Golf
    4. Pinball

So fair to say that No Good Gophers is your #1 pin?

#15 2 years ago

MS Mech Engr (BoilerUp!) - Heat Transfer equipment
    Multiplex movie theater
    Skiing / snowboarding
    Running / biking / tennis
    Jack of all trades. Do a little of everything / master of nothing . (But, at least, pretty dang good at some of those things...just not pinball!)

#16 2 years ago

1. Stay at home dad/ pinball rail maker
    2. Set dresser on feature films/tv
    3. Art collecting
    4. Gardening
    5. Grew up taking stuff apart

#17 2 years ago

1. MSW, Currently own a private practice counseling business.
    2. Hospital social worker, had it ups and downs and was too stressful to be a long term job for me, but the highs of the job set the bar pretty high as far as feeling good about work goes.
    3. Writing
    4 Playing music
    5. I have pretty significant ADHD and I think that the gratification of achieving at something that rewards you for practice but also has a level of instant gratification really hits some of my emotional needs. I have a lot of trouble doing undesirable tasks and procrastinate badly, but with pinball it’s just like constant reward and payoff. I can stand at a single game and not get bored for hours.

#18 2 years ago

1. Marketing director for a disc golf scorekeeping app. Journalism degree.
    2. Writer for a music magazine
    3. Running
    4. Disc golf
    5. Honestly not sure. I'm not much of a hands-on tinkerer so it's not the fixing that does it for me. General nostalgia? It's nice to reconnect with a physical piece of equipment in today's digital world, and I like pushing myself to improve on a goal so I'm finding I like deeper games played for progress over score.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

3. Golf
    4. Pinball

Which course do you own in Wa? Used to golf a few times every week, but haven't for a few yrs now

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from onemilemore:

1. Marketing director for a disc golf scorekeeping app. Journalism degree.
    2. Writer for a music magazine
    3. Running
    4. Disc golf
    5. Honestly not sure. I'm not much of a hands-on tinkerer so it's not the fixing that does it for me. General nostalgia? It's nice to reconnect with a physical piece of equipment in today's digital world, and I like pushing myself to improve on a goal so I'm finding I like deeper games played for progress over score.

UDisc??

#21 2 years ago

1) maintenance/ building engineer for a brewery side work: pool remodeling/handyman

2) executive assistant to a hedgefund

3) master ceramic wheel thrower

4) Mediocre long time disc golfer

5) it is something my wife and I both love and has curated into a great common hobby. I have always been drawn to the kinetic and tactile aspects of pinball

#22 2 years ago

1. Software Engineer, currently focused on CIAM
    2. Roller Rink skate counter guy (when I was 16)
    3. Tiki mugs
    4. Woodworking
    5. Repair and restoration

#23 2 years ago

1. PTA- Physical Therapist Assistant. (Special needs)

2. Golf course maintenance. Great job sucky pay.
    Got to fish all the ponds and unlimited golf every
    Monday when club was closed to members.

3. Comic books

4.woodworking

5.Always loved the angles . The shots and caroms.
    The artwork also. Same with comic covers.

#24 2 years ago

1. Pharmaceutical Research Scientist/PhD retired
    2. Lifeguard
    3. Photography
    4. Home brewing (beer)
    5. Nostalgia is what got me back into pinball. Now, I like restoring as much if not more than playing.

#25 2 years ago

1. Retired Electrical Engineer
    2. Painted oil tanks when I was in high school which was a lot of fun.
    3. Restoring and showing my 1945 Jeep at car shows
    4. Just started designing and 3D printing a bunch of stuff for around the house.
    5. Even though electrical background, I'm better at the mechanical stuff.

#26 2 years ago

1. Mining engineer though no longer working in the mining industry. Currently a Director of Operations of a manufacturing facility.
    2. Fav job was chief blaster at an open pit gold mine. Billions of horsepower at my fingertips never got old..
    3. Operate a free shuttle service for my kids. Mostly back and forth to hockey rinks.
    4. Cooking. I enjoy cooking but not baking.
    5. Fixing and building shit. My wife thinks i can learn to do anything. I feel fortunate to have access to a wealth of free info on the internet. But i think i got it from my dad who owned a mechanical contracting business, and got years of free labor out of me

#27 2 years ago

Dooskie...Thanks for keeping Village Greens going.That has to be the course.As for me retired airline mechanic who enjoys golf,fly fishing and pinball.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

So fair to say that No Good Gophers is your #1 pin?

Actually, I like my Star Trek machines the best. But I do love No Good Gophers as well.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Which course do you own in Wa? Used to golf a few times every week, but haven't for a few yrs now

I've got a 10-year lease on Village Greens Golf Course in Port Orchard. Come over and play sometime. It's a par 3 course and a lot of fun.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

Dooskie...Thanks for keeping Village Greens going.That has to be the course.As for me retired airline mechanic who enjoys golf,fly fishing and pinball.

It's the one. Long story behind me getting involved with it. I'm guessing you play at Canterwood or Gig Harbor CC? I also just purchased a golf cart rental-repair-sales business. Renting the end of the parking lot at Gold Mountain. You have any interest in applying your mechanical skills to working on gas and electric golf carts?

#31 2 years ago

Well I learned that everyone is clearly a engineer on here today .

#32 2 years ago

Horseshoe Lake G.C. is my mainstay.Village Greens is a fun course that I plan to revisit soon.Thanks for the offer but my working days are over.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from mjg417:

I'm not. I don't even own a railroad engine. Yet.

LTG : )

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from mjg417:

When I was in 10th grade I was talking to one of my teachers about career, and said I wanted to become an engineer. She said “ugh, engineers make terrible boyfriends”. So I became an engineer.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm not. I don't even own a railroad engine. Yet.

Lloyd, you are a pinball engineer! Don’t try to deny it!

#36 2 years ago

1: Bachelor's degree, Buyer

2: ?

3. Hiking town to town

4. Meeting musicians/getting their autographs

5. I got hooked on playing pinball because I was experiencing major depression - pinball was one of the few things I found that let me shut out all the negative feelings and thoughts for a few minutes at a time, and helped get me out of my bubble.

#37 2 years ago

1: Stock shelves at a grocery store.
    2: Machinist/Tool and Die maker
    3: Repairing/modding/restoring all things coin-op.
    4: Newest hobby: Growing fruit trees. On my 2nd year and up to 12 trees.
    5: My grandfather had a row of old pins in his garage. Always fascinated me going there and playing them. By age 13 I could beat most of the older guys when playing in arcades so it was always a big thrill.

#38 2 years ago

Holy canoli....lotsa engineers in varying degrees!!!

#39 2 years ago

1) Associate degree business management. Now do home remodeling
    2) 20 years automotive service management
    3)Pinball restoring
    4)Hoarding pinball parts
    5) 1st job at 14 yrs old was cleaning pinball machine at a swim club. Never forgot the smell of a EM when you raised the PF. 34 years later bought my 1st EM in 1999.

#40 2 years ago

Master's Prepared Certified Registered Nurse
    Life Guard and student with degrees that I don't need anymore.
    Kayaking
    Full time parent to little kids
    I have the audacity to think that I can fix anything and I've yet to prove myself wrong. Pinball and similar hobbies have forced me to become somewhat proficient in electronics diagnosis and repair as well as some minor coding.

#41 2 years ago

S&P 500 options broker/trader
    I was a butcher while going to college and loved everything about it, except the cold. I love meat.
    Audio/Hi-fi/vinyl enthusiast
    Hack guitar player
    Loved pins in the 80s/90s and after getting my first I realized it scratched my competitive itch of playing sports without tearing ligaments since I’m getting old.

#42 2 years ago

1. Power System Dispatcher
    2. Jet Engine Mechanic
    3. Collecting arcade games
    4. Gambling
    5. Being stubborn has helped me learn enough to fix games and get them for cheaper usually. Stumbling across John's arcade on You Tube got me started collecting pins shortly after arcade games.

#43 2 years ago

1) Spent 8 years to get a 2 Year Degree.
    2) Retired, after owning my own businesses for 40 years....Jewelry Manufacturing, Real Estate, and Comet LEDs.
    3) Stay Busy with Puzzles, Granddaughter, staying alive from my wife.
    4) Avid reader, focused on Historical Theology, Archeology, Paleontology.
    5) Too old, tired, and cranky to give a shit. Im enjoying this special place.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

1) Spent 8 years to get a 2 Year Degree.

Bluto !

#45 2 years ago

1: Retired...Computer Science, Network engineer, software engineer
    2: Network Engineer back when the internet was just getting underway
    3. Chicago Sports
    4. pinball (not good at, but enjoy)
    5. Competition... Free game or high scores!

#46 2 years ago

1. Roller coaster mechanic (millwright)
    2. Food service
    3. Golf
    4. NFL football junkie.
    5. Always had a pinball in the house growing up. 1965 Williams Pretty Baby.

#47 2 years ago

1: Software Sales
    2: Systems Engineer on a weapons platform
    3. Anything related to water
    4. Muay Thai
    5. Family owned an arcade in my teens

#48 2 years ago

Nice refreshing interesting topic. Thank you!
    1. Commercial HVAC and plumbing project manager.
    2. Worked in Best Buy music department. Who doesn’t love music?
    3. Billiards
    4. Kicking the feet up. Yes, I consider that a hobby
    5. Loved taking things apart and putting them back together since I was little. I remember my mom came home one evening and I had taken the TV apart, she freaked out, but I put it back together before the evening was over.

#49 2 years ago

1: Software Engineer (current) / Bachelor of Music / Education
    2: Love my current gig in the online simulcast auction industry
    3. Classical Guitar
    4. Crochet (Baby blankets)
    5. Ping Pong and other games that required quick reflexes or hand dexterity (hence the instrumental music)

#50 2 years ago

1. Senior Research Assistant in an academic health center
    2. Traveling musician
    3. DJing, the record scratching variety
    4. Learning, playing, looking at admiringly, working on, cleaning, and talking about my pinball machines
    5. Always have enjoyed working on/playing hand-eye activities; arcade games, DJing, etc.

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsiders-are-unique-come-on-man and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.