buried in shit.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-06-02 at 10.35.26 PM.png
applebees-rusty-balls-NY-special.jpg
braggers suck cocks.jpg
Book.PNG
Screen Shot 2014-05-31 at 10.02.06 AM-733.png
crying-indian-tear.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I never tell anyone what my pins or vidgames are worth.
If they ask, I just say "You can get them for $100 if you find a deal", and that satisfies most people.

braggers suck cocks.jpg 5 KB

It's funny because of the filename.

#152 9 years ago

I use fattrain's response: "Pinballs are anywhere from $200 to a lot."

#153 9 years ago

Kaneda,

What is your side of the story on the Fix-it-Felix?

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If they ask, I just say "You can get them for $100 if you find a deal", and that satisfies most people.

braggers suck cocks.jpg 5 KB

What I don't understand is, if you overpaid for a game, why do you think it's bragging? If I overpaid for something, I wouldn't want anyone to know I was a dumbass.

#155 9 years ago

I stopped telling folks what pins cost because everyone of them thinks that is absolutely nuts!! You go from proud to showing off to quickly being perceived as an idiot : )

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Someone else might be able to give a little more history, or correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it all is that Disney commissioned a couple Fix It Felix Jr. cabs as promo items, and even had someone make a flash game of the Fix It Felix Jr game. You can google it and play it online.
I got a set of cab decals for a Fix It Felix Jr cabinet, and I want to make a multicade disguised as it.

Yes it was made as part of a viral campaign. I believe the cabinet games were made for conventions like E3 before the movie came out. That's where I saw and played it.

#157 9 years ago

I heard about this article from a friend and I just had to read it. I must say, if I was ever in Chris' neighborhood, I'd definitely stop by for a few games of SF2.

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

What I don't understand is, if you overpaid for a game, why do you think it's bragging? If I overpaid for something, I wouldn't want anyone to know I was a dumbass.

I have a neighbor that brags about overpaying on just about everything.

"Sure I could have got these golf clubs $300 cheaper online, but hey, that kid at the pro shop has to make a living"

"I got 3 quotes on my kitchen and of course I chose the highest one. The extra $11,000 to me means top quality service...."

"I only get my oil changed at the dealer. Yeah, it's $59, but at least an expert is doing the work and not some guy that used to work at the party store. "

#159 9 years ago

I haven't read all of this thread, but I have followed the Kaneda drama over the past year. I (for the record) have been a supporter , and never said anything bad about or too him on klov or here.

But-----------

The issues he has over there have next to nothing to do with the price he paid for games. It is more about his thin-skin (my opinion)

#160 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I only get my oil changed at the dealer. Yeah, it's $59, but at least an expert is doing the work and not some guy that used to work at the party store. "

Oh the irony with that statement!

My Dad is a retired Toyota mechanic. I spent many hours visiting him in the bays at the dealer. Oil changes are done by the "monkeys" at the dealership. "Monkeys" = lowest guy on the totem pole, virtually never a certified mechanic and many times a guy who just got promoted from being the porter.

#161 9 years ago

I've skimmed thru this thread, and I can't for the life of me why Kaneda gets under so many peoples skin.
Even when he was deciding to buy a machine, people were all over him.
Then he bought a machine(which most people thought would never happen, including myself), and people were all over him.
Now, another pinsider(not himself, which would in my mind come across as bragging) posts an article written about him, and people are all over him.
I don't know anything about Kaneda, except what it says about him in the Wired article, and that he just bought a LOTR.
Just seems like the hate is just a tad bit overblown.
Some people on here just can't help themselves from hating...

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

Moved to restaurant pricing subforum

Funniest post of the day and the day is not over yet!

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I though vid1900 was referring to telling non-pinheads about pricing, which seems like a no-win proposition. No matter how good of a deal you got on a particular machine, they're going to think you're a bit of an idiot for spending $500-$1000+ on a game -- there's pretty much no such thing as "underpaying" from a non-pinhead's perspective. And, if you're running down a row of games rattling off prices (even if someone asked), it could easily start to sound like you're bragging that you've got the means to have tons of money tied up in toys.

If you're talking prices with a pinball enthusiast, at least they've got some perspective on pinball pricing, and might actually agree with you that you got a good deal on your games. But if you keep that conversation up and end up bragging about what a great bargain hunter you are, you end up coming off like an ass again!

My takeaway -- unless you're talking with someone who's looking to buy a particular game or otherwise actually needs pricing information, you're better off skipping the price talk, grabbing a beer, and playing some pinball.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I have a neighbor that brags about overpaying on just about everything.
"Sure I could have got these golf clubs $300 cheaper online, but hey, that kid at the pro shop has to make a living"
"I got 3 quotes on my kitchen and of course I chose the highest one. The extra $11,000 to me means top quality service...."
"I only get my oil changed at the dealer. Yeah, it's $59, but at least an expert is doing the work and not some guy that used to work at the party store. "

that guy is part of the 82% then. Especially since he thinks paying extra gets you better service. That is not true at all. Only thing it does guarantee you, is that you can fit a 2ltr bottle in your ass without it touching the sidewalls.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I agree here.
"He who has not shown off his game collection to someone, let him cast the first stone."

I only like to show off the boxes stuff comes in.

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I wouldn't want anyone to know I was a dumbass.

Nah, we all know already.

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If they ask, I just say "You can get them for $100 if you find a deal", and that satisfies most people. Be Humble...Nobody like a Braggart

I have to puff up my chest and say I've never been a braggart!.....AND, my friend Tom Cruise told me to never drop names...

#168 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I have to puff up my chest and say I've never been a braggart!.....AND, my friend Tom Cruise told me to never drop names...

Yeah, I would never tell anybody I was friends with Tom Cruise - Xenu might emerge from his volcano.

#169 9 years ago

got some good laughs in for the day
gracias...
i needed it.

cheers,
bb

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballKen:

Not to mention that 9 times out of 10 they don't even spell your name right.

You have that right, Kenn.

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I`m a million times as humble as thou art.

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

In NYC, dinner for two at a nice restaurant is $500, easily. a

1K by XMAS....

btw, I suspect if you actually DID spend more time on some of those $500 dinners for TWO (and, perhaps an actual mattress!) , instead of totally awesome sneakers and transformer action figures you wouldn't be single again....

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I stopped telling folks what pins cost because everyone of them thinks that is absolutely nuts!! You go from proud to showing off to quickly being perceived as an idiot : )

Too right.

Had a guy doing some house repairs and he asked how much games were. I actually told him a lower price than I paid. He just looked at me and said, 'you could buy a car for that'. I think he thought I was nuts. He may be right

#174 9 years ago

"why shouldn’t I—in this short time that we’re here—surround myself with the things I really enjoy?”

No better quote for this hobby has ever been said.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Hey guys, just got back from a weekend in Vegas and I feel like a bus hit me three times. If you haven't seen Guns N' Roses live, I highly recommend this show.

I saw a band playing Paradise City on the VH1 Golden Gods awards last week ... Some random dudes with a Meatloaf looking guy doing vocals. He didn't do a very good Axl impersonation. After a few minutes, I was looking at this guy and it slowly dawned on me, it WAS Axl. It didn't even sound like him.

I was offered cheap tickets to GnR when I was in Vegas last week. I didn't go. Not even for $50. It was just sad.

Quoted from kaneda:

In NYC, dinner for two at a nice restaurant is $500, easily. I just saw sneakers that cost $1,200. T-shirts are $100.

TShirts are always $10-15 at Target.

Agree with the food though. Last time I was in NYC Applebee's was $90 for 3 people ... About twice the price of non NYC. Probably because it's on Times Square and they can charge what they want.

You'd want to have a pretty awesome 2 person meal for $500 though. That's one expensive crap the day after.

"Hey honey, I just did a $250 crap!"

rd.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

I told you a BILLION times not to exaggerate!!

#177 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

You'd want to have a pretty awesome 2 person meal for $500 though.

Well, the meal itself can be over $100 per....BUT, once you add up a couple bottles of wine for $200 each it gets up there.

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Well, the meal itself can be over $100 per....BUT, once you add up a couple bottles of wine for $200 each it gets up there.

Yeah, I don't understand the whole expensive wine thing. Fancy wine tastes like vinegar to me. But hey, whatever turns people on I guess.

I know a guy who's got a whole basement full of expensive wine just sitting there gathering dust.

Mind you, he knows a guy who's got a crazy amount of old pinball machines just sitting there gathering dust.

So I guess Pinsiders are the last ones who want to throw stones in their glass houses.

rd.

#179 9 years ago

that's a lot of wine-ing going on

#180 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Last time I was in NYC Applebee's was $90 for 3 people ... About twice the price of non NYC. Probably because it's on Times Square and they can charge what they want.

Applebees is fine for what it is, but I hope you got to try a few other places in New York as well -- so much incredible food in that city (much of it at or below Applebees pricing) that I hate to think you got stuck with generic chain-restaurant meals for your whole stay. I lived in New York for a few years after college, and while I have no regrets about moving on, I sure do miss the restaurants!

#181 9 years ago

I look at it this way, who cares how much he paid for the stuff?

It's his business and his money. If you don't like the fact he is bragging or showing off stuff or marketing himself, then don't keep replying/reading/deal with the internet.

I mean, I've got some crazy crazy stuff out there console wise/arcade wise/pinball wise. I don't show off everything I have, and nor do I care to. I don't make threads about every new thing I get. I collect and buy and sell things for me and me alone.

Some people have problems with me, some don't. A lot of times it is jealousy because I opened up places for the community and don't really deal with the "social" nature of the business. I don't care about the next super duper pinball get together nor do I care about the signed marquee of insert hipster game here...it really depends on what the person wants and frankly who is ANYONE to judge? Who cares? If you don't like it, move along, lol...simple as that. I have no opinion on the matter. Any coverage of any video game/pinball stuff is fun for me to peruse, that is the way I look at it.

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Applebees is fine for what it is, but I hope you got to try a few other places in New York as well -- so much incredible food in that city (much of it at or below Applebees pricing) that I hate to think you got stuck with generic chain-restaurant meals for your whole stay. I lived in New York for a few years after college, and while I have no regrets about moving on, I sure do miss the restaurants!

For sure, I was just using Applebee's as an example. I like to eat at local places like El Faritos in L.A. where we went with Odin and Nimblepin. That's where the good experiences are to be had. My "local" here in Auckland is a tiny Japanese skewer place with Sapporo on tap.

We have some world class places here in New Zealand where I go every two or three months for a treat. They cost 200-300 for two people for a 6 course degustation type meal including drinks. They only ones I go to are where the guy who's name is on the restaurant is doing the cooking in the kitchen. Like www.merediths.co.nz or my favorite www.sidart.co.nz

Anyways, back to Kaneda!

rd.

#183 9 years ago

I don't know Kaneda other than from what I've read on the various threads. But a few things stick out - he has a penchant for writing in a style that is almost guaranteed to piss someone off, seems to like even negative attention and almost certainly screwed the owner of the FiF game (presumably thinking, apparently correctly, the kid would be scared off by the "talk to my lawyer" bit).

Reading the threads it was sometimes hard to remember that Kaneda was in his late 30's and the seller was in his teens because Kaneda was posting and ranting like a immature jerk or wannabe scammer and not someone who is a professional in the world of business.

I don't care what restaurant he goes to, how much his T-shirts cost, or what he paid (or agreed to pay) for his games. All I can see is that he has someone else's game for which he has not paid the agreed price (most likely because he realizes he agreed to a bad deal) and he wants everyone to believe his version of events (which are just too convoluted to be true) and ignoring those from the seller (whose account seems much more realistic).

Clearly mistakes on both sides (and a lesson for sellers on how not to sell a game), but until the seller gets the remaining monies due him everything else is smoke, mirrors and noise.

(And +1 on the restaurant sub forum comment. Funniest post I've read in a while).

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

What in the hell are Y3 Yohjii Whatsit shoes?

I started to read the article, but at the point where they are describing his attire in such detail I kind of lost interest.

Chris

#186 9 years ago

Very cool...you're living the dream man, but it will wane a bit. I dig the pad, need a muscle car to round it out. After that all you got to do is to find some hot chick ( not that easy ) that appreciates pinball and you're set.

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

are you the pious guy the little amlets wanna be like?

#188 9 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

All this article was meant to showcase was how this awesome hobby can take over our lives at time. In my case, I let it go too far.

Any addiction can ruin your life.

#189 9 years ago

At the end of the day this Kaneda guy has a Donkey Kong cabinet and anyone with one of them is alright by me. It's the beautiful game~

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Any addiction can ruin your life.

i'm definitely not addicted to Applebee's.
that place is worse than rusty balls

#191 9 years ago

Damn! You have tasted rusty balls..

#192 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

The only restaurant in NYC worth spending $500 at is Dorsia. Great sea urchin ceviche.

oohhhhhh..... I see what you did there..... *Hip to be Square playing in the back*

#193 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

i'm definitely not addicted to Applebee's.
that place is worse than rusty balls

But if you were, I would imagine it would ruin your life, lol. At least ruin your plumbing.

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

oohhhhhh..... I see what you did there..... *Hip to be Square playing in the back*

Shit I missed the reference until you pointed it out, nice catch.

#195 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Kaneda,

Cricket ... cricket ...

#196 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Damn! You have tasted rusty balls..

i hear folks can in NY

applebees-rusty-balls-NY-special.jpgapplebees-rusty-balls-NY-special.jpg

Tea bags sold separately

#197 9 years ago

I think the majority of you guys are hypocrites and don't even know it.
We are the 1%. And most of you guys are closer to the top of that 1% than I am.
If you told MOST of the people on the street what your collection is worth, YOU'D be the Kaneda in that instance.
It's none of their business to judge you, and it's none of your business to judge him.
Life is short. If you can afford a $500 dinner and enjoy that kind of thing, great. (We fell below $500, but had an amazing tasting menu at Del Posto one time in NYC -though we prefer the pasta at Lupo at $18/dish give or take.)
Still, everything in moderation.
Any of you who have bought mods for your over the top Twilight Zone, or Tron, or Dirty Donny Sparky should understand the point: it doesn't make fiscal sense, but if it makes you happy, enjoy.
I don't recall people lambasting the guy who paid $20,000 for the HEP restored MM about a year ago. Should we start a thread and cut him to pieces too?

Personally, I was pleased to see yet more publicity about a guy who has a game room. Hopefully it will get more people asking themselves the same question that popped into my mind when I first saw the Tron pinball machine in my friends basement: "People buy these for home use now?"

"We're here for a good time, not a long time. So have a good time, the sun can't shine every day."

#198 9 years ago

Did you just coin the term Kaneda as a use in a sentence?

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Kaneda,

Kanada sent me a PM:

"Excuse me but Colton and I have settled our Felix issue. Not sure why you
are trying to start a flame war over it, again. Please stop."

I presume we aren't going to hear anything else on the issue. Unless someone hears from the other side, I suspect we'll never know the real story.

(Note to Kanada - even if you have settled, the circumstances around it - including the don't talk to me for a month BS - were extremely juvenile. I have no intention or desire to start a flame war; I just don't buy your "poor poor me, Colton didn't understand the deal" schtick. If you paid him the $2500 balance and apologized for the crap you pulled, be a man and say so. Without that, or a post from Colton confirming it, excuse ME, but I'll remain skeptical of your self-serving claim.)

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

I think the majority of you guys are hypocrites and don't even know it.
We are the 1%. And most of you guys are closer to the top of that 1% than I am.
If you told MOST of the people on the street what your collection is worth, YOU'D be the Kaneda in that instance.
It's none of their business to judge you, and it's none of your business to judge him.
Life is short. If you can afford a $500 dinner and enjoy that kind of thing, great. (We fell below $500, but had an amazing tasting menu at Del Posto one time in NYC -though we prefer the pasta at Lupo at $18/dish give or take.)
Still, everything in moderation.
Any of you who have bought mods for your over the top Twilight Zone, or Tron, or Dirty Donny Sparky should understand the point: it doesn't make fiscal sense, but if it makes you happy, enjoy.
I don't recall people lambasting the guy who paid $20,000 for the HEP restored MM about a year ago. Should we start a thread and cut him to pieces too?
Personally, I was pleased to see yet more publicity about a guy who has a game room. Hopefully it will get more people asking themselves the same question that popped into my mind when I first saw the Tron pinball machine in my friends basement: "People buy these for home use now?"
"We're here for a good time, not a long time. So have a good time, the sun can't shine every day."

I am in the 1% guys! Never mind the 1999 Civic or my rental house. I'm a secret millionare.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 39.50
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 25.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 227 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsider-kaneda-featured-in-wired-cover-story/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.