FB_IMG_1708398785730 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1708560320972 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1708398785730 (resized).jpg
91143183_523447681701095_1548993680035355812_n (resized).jpg
821effe1e68c9e37831008d0f85f7a5e (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1704250420045 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7939416_0 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1703624531983 (resized).jpg

There are 1,701 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 35.
#51 8 years ago

I miss going to all those death/black metal concerts in Toronto. Last concert I went to was a couple years ago. It was Danzig in New York USA. I've seen Danzig several times in concert but this time was especially special because he was playing reunited with the Misfits again in concert, playing original Misfits songs. It was awesome! Doyle is still super huge even after all these years.

#52 8 years ago

Brazilian Death Metal is probably my favorite. Krisiun, Nephasth (wonder where I got my user name?), Rebaelliun, The Ordher, Horned God...

Other Death Metal favorites include, but not limited to Vital Remains, Aeon, Bloodbath, Origin, Hoffman brothers era Deicide, Behemoth, Morbid Angel, and so on.

Dig a lot of Thrash too. Like a lot of Exodus. Blood Tsunami is probably my favorite Thrash band. 3 Inches of Blood, Skeletonwitch, Slayer of course.

Some Black Metal. Kult ov Azazel. I can't get into the keyboard-y shit.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

he was playing reunited with the Misfits again in concert, playing original Misfits songs. It was awesome! Doyle is still super huge even after all these years.

Say what ? When was this ? Was it just Doyle and Danzig ?

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Say what ? When was this ? Was it just Doyle and Danzig ?

I forget exactly but I want to say about a year and a half ago. I will take a pic of my concert shirt from that night and post it. All the Misfits were there playing with Glenn. It was heavy, they blew the roof off that place in NYC. Kick ass show. And I mean the real misfits from the 70s not the ones that tried to rehash it in the 90s.

#55 8 years ago

Not Death Meatal.....but Metal and a Relapse band.....and an incredible video:

#56 8 years ago

No. Fucking. Way.
April fools right ?
I hate to say it on this thread, but seeing David Lee Roth get back with Van Scalen was my most anticipated reunion show ever.
Followed by original Misfits.
I dont believe you. Mr. Jim, is that you ?

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

Not Death Meatal.....but Metal and a Relapse band.....and an incredible video: » YouTube video

Yuck.

Now time for some marimba, baby!

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

No. Fucking. Way.
April fools right ?
I hate to say it on this thread, but seeing David Lee Roth get back with Van Scalen was my most anticipated reunion show ever.
Followed by original Misfits.
I dont believe you. Mr. Jim, is that you ?

yes the Danzig Legacy tour was to have him play songs with people all throughout his life. He started off with the Samhain set, followed by the Danzig set, then the misfits set with Doyle, and the encore was all misfits songs too. Nothing like hearing misfits songs live in concert by the actual people that created them. Read the article below on the Legacy tour.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2011/10/danzig_legacy_hammerstein_ballroom_october_29_review.php

#59 8 years ago

Here's another article about it. Glad I saw it. I saw the show in New York New York, in the Hammerstein ballroom. Awesome!

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/danzig-unveils-legacy-tour-dates-compilation-misfits-plan-new-album

#60 8 years ago

I saw him on that tour, 2011, in St. Louie. Skeletonwitch opened. We didnt get Doyle.

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

I saw him on that tour, 2011, in St. Louie. Skeletonwitch opened. We didnt get Doyle.

ah that sucks. That show was all about seeing Doyle play with Danzig. I even had Danzig sign my arm and I got it tattooed over.

#62 8 years ago

Every January is the 70,000 Tons of Metal Cruise... 5 days, 60 bands, 3000 fans.

Lineup from this year: 1349, Alestorm, Amorphis, Annihilator, Anvil (band), Apocalyptica, Arch Enemy, Artillery, Behemoth, Blind Guardian, Cannibal Corpse, Chimaira, Crucified Barbara, D-A-D, Einherjer, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Gama Bomb, God Dethroned, Grave Digger, Heathen, In Extremo, Jungle Rot, Kataklysm, Korpiklaani, Lake of Tears, Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock, Monstrosity, Municipal Waste, Napalm Death, Origin, Pretty Maids, Primal Fear, Refuge, Riot V, Soulfly, Tank, Therion, Threshold, Triosphere, Trollfest, Trouble, Venom, Whiplash, Wintersun

http://70000tons.com/

#63 8 years ago

I saw the first DEATH tribute tour, Cynic, Cannibal Corpse (so bad...) and some others...

#64 8 years ago

Ok....now that Im (almost) sober,...QG you must be referring to 2013 tour, which I remember being in agony that I couldnt make Louisville show. Man....glad you saw it and had a great time dude. I knew Danzig and Doyle have played together through the years,....I guess thats really all ya need. Still waiting for Jerry and Glenn to make peace. Dont think it will happen, which sucks. Especially considering Doyle and Jerry are brothers. I dont want to hear Jerry, just his bass.
Glad you made it Quartergrabber. Did they play Hybrid Moments ?

#65 8 years ago

Morbid Angel, Entombed, Bolt Thrower, Benediction, Cannibal Corpse, Unleashed, Deicide, Autopsy, Obituary and ofcourse Death. I miss the 90's. Heres a great one from Celtic Frost founder triptykon is the band. One of my favorite songs.

#66 8 years ago

The first few albums from these guys were awesome.

#67 8 years ago

Six feet under. The last album went a little to nucore or whatever you call it but this song and the entire album "UNDEAD" was incredible.

#68 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Every January is the 70,000 Tons of Metal Cruise... 5 days, 60 bands, 3000 fans.
Lineup from this year: 1349, Alestorm, Amorphis, Annihilator, Anvil (band), Apocalyptica, Arch Enemy, Artillery, Behemoth, Blind Guardian, Cannibal Corpse, Chimaira, Crucified Barbara, D-A-D, Einherjer, Ensiferum, Equilibrium, Gama Bomb, God Dethroned, Grave Digger, Heathen, In Extremo, Jungle Rot, Kataklysm, Korpiklaani, Lake of Tears, Michael Schenker's Temple of Rock, Monstrosity, Municipal Waste, Napalm Death, Origin, Pretty Maids, Primal Fear, Refuge, Riot V, Soulfly, Tank, Therion, Threshold, Triosphere, Trollfest, Trouble, Venom, Whiplash, Wintersun
http://70000tons.com/

Any of you guys ever go on one of these? Always thought it might be fun to see all the bands and the price seemed reasonable, but I'm not real fond of cruises and metalheads are smelly enough when they're not in the sun.

#69 8 years ago

Went on my 1st cruise this spring break (with my kids). I had an absolute blast. Got me wanting to go on the metal cruise all the cool kids are going on now. Sounds insane. 24 hour party WITH all that great metal ? Shit yeah. Like Jules said in Pulp Fiction...." Im going".

#70 8 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Went on my 1st cruise this spring break (with my kids). I had an absolute blast. Got me wanting to go on the metal cruise all the cool kids are going on now. Sounds insane. 24 hour party WITH all that great metal ? Shit yeah. Like Jules said in Pulp Fiction...." Im going".

Sweet! I didn't even know that existed.

#71 8 years ago

CAM00719.jpgCAM00719.jpg

That's right. When I play pinball, I play 2 machines at once.
Why ?
Cause I'm metal as fuck. That's why.

#72 8 years ago

Hahaharrrr....
Just kiddin....but Broken Hope is my favorite Chicago band.

#73 8 years ago

Pestilence, Bolt Thrower, Entombed, Grave, Possessed... Can't forget Asphyx and Morgoth. They had some classic underrated albums. Napalm Death's "Harmony Corruption" stands out. Gorguts "Considered Dead" also. I saw Carcass, Suffocation, and Samael in 2009 and I couldn't hear for 3 days!

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

The first few albums from these guys were awesome.

Finally mention one of my favorites. I might not be able to pull out a Cannibal Corpse CD today and enjoy it but, I could still listen to some Entombed or Sepultura. Although in my younger days, trying to turn a buddy on to them, I explained they were from Sweden and he asked if they were singing in Swedish or English? English! Damn...

#75 8 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Any of you guys ever go on one of these? Always thought it might be fun to see all the bands and the price seemed reasonable, but I'm not real fond of cruises and metalheads are smelly enough when they're not in the sun.

Not yet, but it has to be an amazing experience hanging out on a cruise ship with 250+ band members watching shows day and night, clinics, impromptu jam sessions, etc. People (and bands) fly in from all over the world for it.

Videos: http://70000tons.tv

#76 8 years ago

70000 tons is the closest any of us will be able to experience a metal festival here in the states like Waken. I almost pulled the trigger this past Jan but I took my kid to wrestlemania this year instead. It still tops my bucket list.

#77 8 years ago

Greatness

#78 8 years ago

You guys hear about this yet? http://www.motorheadcruise.com/

#79 8 years ago

I just was at the At The Gates show yesterday in montreal! that was awesome!

#80 8 years ago

Impressive all-thrash cruise lineup: Slayer, Motorhead, Anthrax, Suicidal Tendencies, Hatebreed, Exodus, Kyng, Fireball Ministry, Huntress, Phil Campbell's All-Star Band, Crobot, Motor Sister.

#81 8 years ago

WoW.
Wonder how close the pit is to the railing....somebodys definitely going overboard.

#82 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Impressive all-thrash cruise lineup: Slayer, Motorhead, Anthrax, Suicidal Tendencies, Hatebreed, Exodus, Kyng, Fireball Ministry, Huntress, Phil Campbell's All-Star Band, Crobot, Motor Sister.

Fuck that. I'll stick to $35 concerts. Those cruises are in pin money territory...

#83 8 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Fuck that. I'll stick to $35 concerts. Those cruises are in pin money territory...

Yea, $200/person/day does not a cheap cruise make... but $35 concerts don't guarantee you great seats to every show and get you back stage to hang out with the artists. If we're talking pinball money, how much $$ does it cost to travel the PAPA circuit each year? Choose your poison... err, fun.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Yea, $200/person/day does not a cheap cruise make... but $35 concerts don't guarantee you great seats to every show and get you back stage to hang out with the artists.

I don't think I've ever been to a death metal show where there was even a concern for "great seats". In general, the venues and crowds are pretty small even for the top name death metal acts.

I've gotten some great autographs just hanging out near the bar or at the t shirt table after the show.

#85 8 years ago

Exactly. I bought a beer for James Malone of Arsis and had a great conversation with him at a local show. Actually, I have met several of my favorites at small clubs.

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Yea, $200/person/day does not a cheap cruise make... but $35 concerts don't guarantee you great seats to every show and get you back stage to hang out with the artists. If we're talking pinball money, how much $$ does it cost to travel the PAPA circuit each year? Choose your poison... err, fun.

Seats!? Who sits down at a metal show? Floor tickets only.

#87 8 years ago

No seats available at this show, and it's going to be great!

Screenshot_2015-04-11-12-09-23.pngScreenshot_2015-04-11-12-09-23.png
#88 8 years ago

I am a songwriter, drummer,guitarist and love most most genres of music as I can relate to most in some way or another.
I wish I could add something constructive here as all things music pique my interest in some way or another, but I just liken Death Metal to scratching a f***ing chalkboard with my bottom front teeth.
I work with the lead screamer for On Enemy Soil who was popular in the NW,and have tried,but the closest I can come is Opeth,which is one of my fav. progressive rock /sometimes they scream bands.
I love the riffs of DevilDriver,but can't take the screaming and growling long enough to listen to them. Maybe I have just never understood the reason or the need to replace singing melodically with growling evil mantra.

#89 8 years ago

That's why I love Slayer.extremely complicated music to play,especially while banging your head. Plus, you can almost understand every word.Those first few albums were incredible

#90 8 years ago

Music is not vocals...

To me, country and rap still suck when you take the lyrics and vocals away.

#91 8 years ago

I respectfully disagree.I think every sound producing instrument on the stage is part of the music.The intended meaning of the music is represented though the vocals.I have respect for many musicians in all genres from Rock to country,rap to classical and everything in between.I used to hate everything but metal,but as I age music relates to aspects of my life . I can see clearly now that I have opened my eyes

#92 8 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

Maybe I have just never understood the reason or the need to replace singing melodically with growling evil mantra.

To each their own, but I love some cookie monster vocals. Lots of melodic voice metal has really no appeal to me actually. I'm much pickier about the lyrics and lyricist if they're clear.

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from rvboarder:

I respectfully disagree.I think every sound producing instrument on the stage is part of the music.The intended meaning of the music is represented though the vocals.I have respect for many musicians in all genres from Rock to country,rap to classical and everything in between.I used to hate everything but metal,but as I age music relates to aspects of my life . I can see clearly now that I have opened my eyes

I'm not just a fan of death metal. Monster Magnet is one of my favorite bands, and I enjoy plenty of classic rock, even some of that weird 80s shit. For me it's music first, lyrics second, and vocals last. I don't care if the vocals are clean, deep, high, guttural, or raspy. I enjoy powerful, empowering music, not the bitchy and whiny stuff (which there is even in a lot of the metal genres).

#94 8 years ago

Here comes the kraken and flesh God apcolypes are my two favs

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Monster Magnet is one of my favorite bands,

Best band ever. Dave is my co-pilot.

#96 8 years ago

Do any of you guys listen to black metal at all? I like Dissection, Walknut, Drudkh, and Agalloch to name a few.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

Do any of you guys listen to black metal at all? I like Dissection, Walknut, Drudkh, and Agalloch to name a few.

Some. Not much though.

On an unrelated note... Finntroll anybody?

Most hilarious cover...

#98 8 years ago
Quoted from rvboarder:

That's why I love Slayer.extremely complicated music to play,especially while banging your head. Plus, you can almost understand every word.Those first few albums were incredible

It's because Slayer is thrash rather than death metal.

Quoted from karmalord:

I just liken Death Metal to scratching a f***ing chalkboard with my bottom front teeth.
I work with the lead screamer for On Enemy Soil who was popular in the NW,and have tried,but the closest I can come is Opeth,which is one of my fav. progressive rock /sometimes they scream bands.
I love the riffs of DevilDriver,but can't take the screaming and growling long enough to listen to them. Maybe I have just never understood the reason or the need to replace singing melodically with growling evil mantra.

You're on the right track. It took me a long time to get into death metal vocals, and it was seeing Lamb of God live that finally did it because Randy Blythe is a great vocalist, I was so impressed that I met the band afterwards. Though they are not technically classified as death metal either...

Quoted from nephasth:

Monster Magnet is one of my favorite bands

Monster Magnet is amazing.

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

It took me a long time to get into death metal vocals, and it was seeing Lamb of God...

I was a fan back when they were known as Burn the Priest. But shit, I was 14/15 back then...

I remember back when I was just getting into Death Metal... Riding around in my friend's beat up old jeep with a portable CD player with cassette adapter and a copy of Insineratehymn without the lyric book figuring it all out by listening and re-listening to catch every unholy word Benton was spewing out. Loved it.

#100 8 years ago

666 horns up for an Ironborn brother from Wyoming : Canea.
After seeing my whiny post about not ever finding De Profundis, dude offered to mail me a copy. It was like Christmas ( sorry, forgot where Im at), er, Halloween, at the mailbox seeing the promo copy he sent. Unbelievably bad ass cd and even more bad ass was Canea sending it to me.
Now if I could just stop listening to the first 3 tracks over and over.....

CAM00752.jpgCAM00752.jpg

There are 1,701 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 35.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsider-death-metal-fans/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.