Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 597 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by accidental
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should we bring back the thumbs down feature?”

• Yes get it back the way it was! 185 votes
      71%
    • Yes, but make it anonymous! 24 votes
      9%
    • No, good riddance! 51 votes
      20%

(260 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th.jpg
    FC.png
    Banner.png
    image.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-11-13_at_18.58.38.png
    thumb-fiction-660x371.jpg
    Hansoloprofilethumb-660x833.jpg
    Zissou_thumb-660x284.jpg
    Determinedator-660x371.jpg
    spck-thumb-nicholas-C-660x504.png
    The-Mates-Rix-660x348.jpg
    index.jpg
    thumbs_up_2.jpg
    image.jpeg
    thumb_down.jpg
    family_stuff.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#368 8 years ago

I for one won't miss the down voting feature. The fact is this site is a discussion forum, not a video game where you are trying to rack up some kind of a points score. If you have something to say, say it. Too often the same one or two people would cruise through an entire thread and down vote everyone that posted the other side of their opinion. If it could be used to tag posts that are truly violating the rules that would be fine, but some folks seem to have no tolerance for people that don't share their opinion.

#477 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm still not sure about the thumbs feature. I might revert to how it was for now (with some added abuse checks added) and see how that goes.

Please also consider leaving it turned off as it is now. Some of the people that are defending it here are the very reasons I'm guessing it went away. If someone posts the same thought over and over they get hammered for being a broken record, so how is someone going through an entire thread and down-voting half the posts any less of a problem? You have basically taken the same bad behavior and simplified it with a check box. Your instinct to get rid of this was right.

If only having thumbs up is now an issue get rid of that as well. Force folks to talk with their words and not their mouse buttons.

#480 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm absolutely considering this. All the problems it was causing between members, and the fact that a thumbs down without any accompanying comment could be considered as rather unconstructive in a discussion forum made me decide to remove the feature in the first place.
    Maybe there is a way to make everyone happy? I always try and aim for that. What if participating in thumbs up/down was optional? You either enable the thumbs system or you disable it (in settings).
    If you choose to enable it, your posts can be thumbed up/down and you have the option to thumb up/down other peoples posts except posts by people who have the feature turned off.
    Disable it, and you will not see the thumbs system anymore. Your posts cannot be thumbed up/down by others. Any thumbs you may have given in the past will no longer be displayed or counted.
    Just an idea that crossed my mind. Feel free to tell me I'm overthinking this.

Robin I LOVE this idea, but possibly only because I'm looking forward to the complaints from the frustrated folks that can't thumbs down me when they desperately want/need to. Like this post for example.

#484 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

The people that get offended by a lot of thumbs down on their posts are, by definition, creating inflammatory material. So the question I guess is, is that something you want to preserve or curb.

Pinside has a bad reputation for being pro-everythinganybodywantstosell to the masses here. And historically anyone that asks critical questions of such companies/projects gets the troll label and is eventually shouted out of the room. Recent history has demonstrated that blind faith in everyone that is trying to sell something here is not necessarily in everyone's best interests. The real problem is that "inflammatory" should only be folks breaking the forum rules and attacking members, not folks that don't agree with the pro-everything sunshine opinion.

#491 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Ok so maybe I'm wrong but this post comes off like you are personally stinging from getting thumbs downed for saying negative things about jpop or Predator or MMR or something.

Let me clear the air by letting you know that thumbs down never personally bothered me at all. It does seem to demonstrate who on the forums is trying to control the conversations and steer it in their direction. I am adult enough to listen and consider people's words on a subject, even people that aren't currently on my "side". Such discussions have at times caused me to switch my opinion on a particular subject, whereas I don't see a voting system ever doing that.

The only real product this site offers is discussion, if folks aren't up for that there is no reason to dumb it down with needless check boxes.

#492 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

(and yeah, viper, sometimes the disagreement is because it's something they don't want to hear)

This is for the forum owners to decide on, and the official moderators. Hence the reason it went away. I can see a point for rules violations but you pretty much summed up what is wrong with it here: It was being abused.

#525 8 years ago
    Quoted from dapperdan24:

I am a little late to the party here, but I agree completely with this. Thumbs down is an important feature, even if it is misused from time to time. My best example would be when I was targeted as a bad seller by another member of Pinside and the thumbs down count to show opposition to a ridiculous claim made against me really showed how far off base the claim was (his initial post reached 40 or 50 down votes in total, maybe more). Looking back on that thread now, you can still read through the many posts to find out the story, but before, it was very clear right out of the gate that it was a baseless claim. Where one or two thumbs down don't wall very loudly(if abused) tens of down votes let the reader know right away to be suspicious as the community has spoken in one voice against misdirection. It appears that we are headed back to the thumbs down system anyway, but just to add my opinion, it is helpful and I'd like to see it again.

That is a pretty compelling reason to have it back I will agree. But in your case someone was spreading false statements, I would contend that something (I'm not sure what) that is even stronger than a bunch of folks thumbs downing the posts needed to happen. There is already a link at the bottom labeled "Report post for...", I have never clicked on that but it sounds like your situation probably fell into that, and maybe by going that route the nonsense post would have just been removed by the moderators?

As you say it's probably coming back anyway. I would still vote for a system where if people go into the settings and "opt out" of the thumbing system that all of their posts be included in that decision as well. That way folks that truly enjoy that experience can have it, and folks that don't are 100% out of it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viper001.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-update-november-2015?tu=viper001 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.