Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 597 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by accidental
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should we bring back the thumbs down feature?”

• Yes get it back the way it was! 185 votes
      71%
    • Yes, but make it anonymous! 24 votes
      9%
    • No, good riddance! 51 votes
      20%

(260 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th.jpg
    FC.png
    Banner.png
    image.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-11-13_at_18.58.38.png
    thumb-fiction-660x371.jpg
    Hansoloprofilethumb-660x833.jpg
    Zissou_thumb-660x284.jpg
    Determinedator-660x371.jpg
    spck-thumb-nicholas-C-660x504.png
    The-Mates-Rix-660x348.jpg
    index.jpg
    thumbs_up_2.jpg
    image.jpeg
    thumb_down.jpg
    family_stuff.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taxman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#120 8 years ago

I don't sell (known hoarder) so it does not effect me. But I do have questions running through my head about the marketplace.

Like how are trades handled?

And is there a legal responsibility to Pinside now to handle disputes?

As for the thumbs down I think there will just be more posts and a whole new set of pictures showing things like, a thumbs down picture.

The fact that the basement can be merged to cool. So you can handle thing any way you want. Still have to play with settings and get use to things. I'm still not sure what the sad face, smiley face things are doing. Is that all behind the scenes? Is there a robot that is going to listen to someone saying it is off-topic with no dispute?

I guess I'll have to read through this all more closely soon.

#125 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinCrush:

(P.S. - If you think this post is idiotic, you must now reply saying so. Can't give me a thumbs down and move along...)

I actually don't need to say anything.

ThumbsDown.jpgThumbsDown.jpg

#179 8 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Pleased to learn that there will be no more thumbs-downing of drunken rants on Pinside, eh?!?

Oh Snap

thumbsup1.jpgthumbsup1.jpg

#180 8 years ago
    Quoted from girloveswaffles:

While I don't like the removal of the up / down vote, making down votes anonymous would be more trollish. People could the just down vote a post and not be called out for it or asked why the voted down.

Tee hee

thumbsdownanonymous.jpgthumbsdownanonymous.jpg

#248 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Hey Pinside! ...

Thank you for the update and the response to feedback. It does make a big difference since people are generally reluctant to change and showing you do hear people helps to adapt. Sorry for the length of this post. I waited to see if anyone else had similar thoughts and found it strange you post only got 1 thumbs up as of posting this.

That said, I'm older. I have been in the hobby a long time. I came from the old RGP group and I will admit I was reluctant at first to move over. Heck, I was probably reluctant to go to RGP at first until I realized the resources I was missing out on. But most of the people I conversed with on a regular basis had already moved to Pinside. And it made sense. Pictures, links, marketplace, voting, . . . But I was old and reluctant and I took time to adapt and saw the light.

That said, I come to Pinball discussion group to talk with people that have a like minded interest. I enjoy the fact that I can help diagnose a problem or talk about features that attract me to a game. When I start hearing about "Premium Membership" I pull back. I understand time and money go into this site but I thought it was a hobby and something fun for the team running it. But I guess it has become a job. If I type up a solution to someone's problem I don't ask to be paid. As a matter of fact I have given parts to people in need without asking for a dime even for the shipping. That is the community part and what I give back. I have never used the market place so I do not even know how the fee thing would work, I assume PayPal or something that us old people don't have (yes, I pay bills by check still). Most of the games I buy are from local people who might also have it posted in a few places including Pinside but I hear about it from word of mouth. So they get "community penalized" for selling it and saying it did not sell through Pinside? To me a "Premium Member" is saying that someone is a better member of the community. We each give in our own way, money, time, humor and even sometimes we share the pain when a tragedy happens in our lives. I understand the size and scope has changed but please also know that it makes the core feeling change also. How many people would be on Facebook right now if they decided to fund its growth off the people who make up the community? It is a slippery slope and when decisions are made to sustain the "business" you do risk damaging the community.

I do not like change. So the removal of the thumbs down, rating system and other changes bugged me. But here you are the next day responding. That is good. And it helps me to say to myself to give the change a chance. Find out if I really like it or not before jumping to the negative. I know you say you would rather people post the reason and not just thumbs down but that is a double-edged sword. Sometimes its best to give the click and not start something bigger. I do not go to Pinside much on mobile but making structural changes to support responsive technology shows you are trying to make the experience better for the newer and changing audience. But do remember the people in this hobby come and go. When you are in it for the long haul you become and "old timer". Those are not the people you want to push out to make way for a new crowd you need to merge them. Most of the new crowd may not be here next year, just part of the hobby. You have built something pretty cool here and I get that changes need to be make to support the growing size. But be careful since others have had success or failure at these points.

I see someone just posted a remark against someone "This coming from the guy on pinside 2 years and no donation". Is this really what it is about? If you don't drink the same flavor cool-aid you not one of us for contributing in the same way? The other guy was just protesting in his own way. Sorry, but required fees do bother people. But now it is a weapon to be rubbed into your face. Is repair advice from a premium member better?

Flame suit on. I'm sure I will get called "cheap" and "out of touch" from people who don't know me or what I contribute to who. But I am one of the people here. I started alone in my basement buying, fixing and playing long before I knew others were doing the same. I have enough to keep me busy until the end of my days. I wonder how many people here today will have the same dedication 10 or 20 years from now.

#283 8 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Oh, and bring back some kind of pinside Karma but smaller numbers so bit more meaningful.
    And make thumbs down lower karma significantly.
    Reward people who contribute and maybe a reward system that rewards certain levels?
    This way anyone trolling can be spotted pretty quick as they will have zero points!!!!!!

Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Bad idea. That would cause lots if trolling where people would go around thumbs downing people they dislike, and would be able to successfully damage the person's credibility by doing so.

But here lies the problem. I might (and I thought supposed to) do a "Thumbs Down" because I do not agree with what was said. Not that what was said was bad or the person should be punished. If someone says the scoring on Flash is better then Skateball and a bunch of people down vote it is a difference of opinion.

What does any of this have to do with credibility?

#386 8 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

I have a question for you. Why are people who don't (or seldom) help out in the technical forums so quick to accuse those who do help out of having ulterior motives? I find that rather odd. Unlike you I do know these people and they are being nothing but altruistic. I guess that's a foreign concept to some though.
    P.S. - I'd be happy to get a thumbs down from anyone who disagrees with my post. I can handle it.

I hate the people who don't know anything jumping into a tech repair. Either to give bad advice or just say "Me too" for no reason. I'm not used to empty Thumbs Down in these situations. But I don't pay attention to the Thumbs Down crap anyway. I make my own judgments.

Oh, here you go anyway -

thumbsdownB.jpgthumbsdownB.jpg

#425 8 years ago

What about -

Thumbs Up for I agree

Thumbs Down for I Disagree

Finger Up for You're a troll, I hate your post, please crawl off and die. Respectfully.

No arguments, very clear.

2 weeks later
    #581 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Is it just me, or is the "basement" thing working? I feel like I'm getting VERY few drama threads on the home page now.
    -mof

It seems to help. Less threads and I think less moderation needed. But they can give us those statistics.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider taxman.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-update-november-2015?tu=taxman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.