Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 597 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by accidental
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should we bring back the thumbs down feature?”

• Yes get it back the way it was! 185 votes
      71%
    • Yes, but make it anonymous! 24 votes
      9%
    • No, good riddance! 51 votes
      20%

(260 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th.jpg
    FC.png
    Banner.png
    image.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-11-13_at_18.58.38.png
    thumb-fiction-660x371.jpg
    Hansoloprofilethumb-660x833.jpg
    Zissou_thumb-660x284.jpg
    Determinedator-660x371.jpg
    spck-thumb-nicholas-C-660x504.png
    The-Mates-Rix-660x348.jpg
    index.jpg
    thumbs_up_2.jpg
    image.jpeg
    thumb_down.jpg
    family_stuff.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#217 8 years ago
    Quoted from Gort:

Don't say the Pledge of Allegiance,Don't say Merry Christmas,et cetera, give me a fricking break.

what in the world does this have to do with anything? get a grip.

#282 8 years ago

the thumbs down button serves a very useful purpose. it allows people to express disagreement without cluttering the thread with more redundant posts. 5 thumbs down on a post is better for the community than 5 posts all making the same points disagreeing with a comment. i know i have personally used it in lieu of making actual written responses, and i think that has saved the board a fair amount of pointless back and forths, especially if it's something that could result in emotional responses. half the time, i go back and clear my thumbs down vote anyway. just clicking the button gets it out of my system and i feel better. without the outlet of the thumbs down button, i think negative posts would actually increase. just my opinion though.

i also agree with Aurich that the new system, while well designed and well intentioned, is more complex for the user than is desirable or necessary. as always, i deeply appreciate all the effort Robin and the gang put into this site, though!

#410 8 years ago

Oh my god I just realized that since the update, none of the thumbs-up I've been giving on iPad have counted, because you need to hit the thumbs up button TWICE for it to register, even though it turns green the first time you click it. . Ugh, Bad design in my opinion. Should only have to click thumbs up once, even on iPad. At the very least, it shouldn't turn green until it has actually been thumbed-up. That was giving me false feedback.

#412 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Problem with thumbs down is you have some users who do it to every post by a particular person. It is a silly vindictive game, but some people have way too much time on their hands.

I don't really think it's a very large problem ... Just one or two petty people do it, and it doesn't even really affect anything anyway. But if a solution is needed, just limit people to say 3 thumbs down per 24 hours.

#415 8 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Between a rock and a hard place on this one. Typical mouse-over behaviour on mobile is for it to be: tap to reveal mouse-over and tap again to make selection. All buttons of this kind on Pinside have behaved like this since the responsive update some time ago.
    You could equally claim that it would be bad design to have a tap result in an immediate effect on any of the buttons on a post. How is a new user, or an existing user that doesn't use the features that often, and using a mobile device, supposed to know what the icons to if they can't tap it to reveal the hover-over info before committing the action? IMO this would be worse design than the current state.

Under the old system, the initial tap opened a large pane with several buttons (up vote, downvote, some other stuff). These buttons were single-tap even on mobile. Now, you tap it once, and it simply turns green, signaling to the user that something happened, and showing little to no indication that another tap is required to actually make something happen. It's bad. At the very least, it should not turn green until the thumbs up has actually been given. But I also feel strongly that accidental thumbs up would not be a real problem if it were a single-tap action.

#486 8 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

Pinside has a bad reputation for being pro-everythinganybodywantstosell to the masses here. And historically anyone that asks critical questions of such companies/projects gets the troll label and is eventually shouted out of the room. Recent history has demonstrated that blind faith in everyone that is trying to sell something here is not necessarily in everyone's best interests. The real problem is that "inflammatory" should only be folks breaking the forum rules and attacking members, not folks that don't agree with the pro-everything sunshine opinion.

Ok so maybe I'm wrong but this post comes off like you are personally stinging from getting thumbs downed for saying negative things about jpop or predator or MMR or something. I don't think that is a problem with the thumbs down system, that's just human nature. You would have received a lot of negative feedback whether there was a thumbs down feature or not.

#488 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I usually know I'm going to get thumbs downed as I'm writing a post. If something is controversial or offensive, it's to be expected. But I don't give a shit, and neither should anybody else. If you get butthurt over a thumbs down, just write boring vanilla posts that nobody will read anyway.

I think there's a fairly broad spectrum of posts that get negative feedback - there are posts with incorrect information, there are snarky trolly mean spirited posts, posts that are overly aggressive or threatening, and finally posts that people simply disagree with for a variety of possible reasons (and yeah, viper, sometimes the disagreement is because it's something they don't want to hear). I actually think it is fine for "thumbs down" to encompass all these functions. People, both the people reading the post and the person who wrote it (as Beelzeboob pointed out) generally understand why a post is getting down votes. A more granular system adds complexity without adding any value, in my opinion.

#523 8 years ago
    Quoted from dapperdan24:

I am a little late to the party here, but I agree completely with this. Thumbs down is an important feature, even if it is misused from time to time. My best example would be when I was targeted as a bad seller by another member of Pinside and the thumbs down count to show opposition to a ridiculous claim made against me really showed how far off base the claim was (his initial post reached 40 or 50 down votes in total, maybe more). Looking back on that thread now, you can still read through the many posts to find out the story, but before, it was very clear right out of the gate that it was a baseless claim. Where one or two thumbs down don't wall very loudly(if abused) tens of down votes let the reader know right away to be suspicious as the community has spoken in one voice against misdirection. It appears that we are headed back to the thumbs down system anyway, but just to add my opinion, it is helpful and I'd like to see it again.

That's a great point.

#557 8 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Weird, I just did it to this post of yours (upped and then removed the up) and it shows a yellow zero to me. Maybe you only see it on your own screen if you've already voted and then negged your vote for that post? Although that wouldn't explain why I'm seeing it and you're not.

Yep, I'm also seeing a yellow zero with no upvotes and no downvotes.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pezpunk.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-update-november-2015?tu=pezpunk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.