Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 597 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by accidental
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should we bring back the thumbs down feature?”

• Yes get it back the way it was! 185 votes
      71%
    • Yes, but make it anonymous! 24 votes
      9%
    • No, good riddance! 51 votes
      20%

(260 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th.jpg
    FC.png
    Banner.png
    image.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-11-13_at_18.58.38.png
    thumb-fiction-660x371.jpg
    Hansoloprofilethumb-660x833.jpg
    Zissou_thumb-660x284.jpg
    Determinedator-660x371.jpg
    spck-thumb-nicholas-C-660x504.png
    The-Mates-Rix-660x348.jpg
    index.jpg
    thumbs_up_2.jpg
    image.jpeg
    thumb_down.jpg
    family_stuff.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider martijn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

is there a way to set my user preferences to have all forums intergrated into my view of the front page?
    I like the mix of seeing all topics and previously did not exclude any categories form my view.
    It appears the only way to see 'basement' topics is to specifically go to the basement?

Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

Just wondering if there was ever a thought to give us the option to have it the way it was before the update...(a box to check if you wanted to include the basement threads in with the main site)...???.............Joey

Off course we thought about this, guys. You can change this in your forum settings (Hiding content from view).

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

What's the protocol if I list a game for sale here and elsewhere (my local Craigslist, etc.) and it sells via one of the other markets?
    This happens to me more often than not, for whatever reason.

Pretty sure you only pay if it sells here..............Joey

Yup, when ending your sales ad unsuccessfully you are asked why the ad didn't succeed. Here you can specify that you sold your machine using another marketplace.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

Love the updates.
    Question... is there anyway to remove the large banners and the huge Basement banner from the mobile version? Those are taking up over a screen of real estate that has to be scrolled past every time you load the forum page. Or maybe I am missing a checkbox?

Thanks for the update, we somehow missed this. We will disable the banners for now and fix it later.

#55 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Additionally, I noticed that a fee is required for starting a forum topic as well. Personally, I think this is a bad idea, especially when there is a new poster with a questionable (or possibly scammy) ad. It's helpful for others if someone brings up the fact that it doesn't pass the sniff test. Charging a fee is a barrier to entry there. I think creating a forum thread should be free and by default. Yes, it helps the seller advertise. But--it also helps potential buyers quite a bit. For example, in one FS thread, I recall someone stating that a game was complete, but someone else pointed out that a part was missing--not everyone would have caught that, and the seller probably wasn't even aware that the part was missing.

This fee is only required for non-supporting Pinsiders. The idea is that this will actually give spammers much less visibility as they won't be able to use the forum. Note that before the update having your ad placed on the forum was also optional.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Now that you're charging a fee, the expectations for a "perfect" bug-free experience will probably increase. Whereas before, a certain about of bugs/errors/missing features were tolerated. For example, I see that images with a vertical aspect ratio are still squashed when you click on the thumbnails. Additionally, you still appear to have no control over what order that images appear in an ad. To me, those are fairly significant bugs and not acceptable if you're forcing a fee to be charged.

Good points and we will certainly look into this, but I think that the most important aspect for sellers is if their item sells for a good price, right? And we're only charging if the item sells, there is no fee for listing an ad. So there is no reason not to list your item.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I always liked seeing who liked certain posts. It gave idea on what tips/ideas held more water than others. For example, if there was a post about a particular repair technique, it was helpful to see that repair guys or electronics experts liked it--or didn't.

You can still see who likes your posts (left bottom of the post). As for the post quality rating, the reason we made this anonymous is that people can participate without having to worry about what other Pinsiders might think about that opinion.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I always thought downvoting had its uses. For example, if someone was providing bad advice (intentional or otherwise), folks could see that there was something wrong with that post if it had a thumbs down. For example, if someone suggested a repair that would actually cause damage, it is useful to know that immediately on that post that there is an issue with it. Or, if someone was expressing a rumor or unpopular opinion, it was helpful to see downvotes on those as well.

True, but this can now be done using the post quality rating tool. Actually, your example is a perfect user case for it. Note that the like tool (left bottom of the post) should be used to agree with a poster (subjective), while the post quality rating tool should be used to rate a post (objective).

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Good idea. However, it might be a better idea to have a one-line disclaimer, rather than multiple lines so it doesn't take up as much space. In a few posts, I've seen this disclaimer take up more space than the actual content of the moderator's post.

It *is* a one-line disclaimer, right? On mobile it can be a bit big, we will look into tweaking this.

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Are we going to be able to use Paypal to pay for the marketplace fees? In the past when I have tried to donate when an ad has ended it only gives me the alternative option. I have to then go back out and do a regular donation through PayPal.
    I really don't want to link my bank account to yet another payment method.

PayPal and Stripe (Credit Cards) have been implemented for the whole site. We're currently having some issues with PayPal, but expect to offer this option again soon (we're working on it).

#61 8 years ago

Thank you Martijn......so who would win in a keyboard fight.?...lol...great pic............Joey

Don't know yet, we probably have to take it to the deathmatch area!

#64 8 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Sorry. I don't like the loss of the thumbs up/down. Not...one...bit. I know the thumbs up is still there but it's been relegated to the bottom left corner and doesn't stand out.

Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

Thumbs down need to come back. It definitely has it's place.

We noticed that the thumbs down generated a lot of problems (and unwanted drama) between Pinsiders as it was very often used as a popularity vote. We think that the post rating quality tool should be a better way to rate posts as it's hopefully more clear that it should be used subjectively.

1 week later
    #572 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Chrome has that option. I'm not sure about firefox.

Firefox has that option as well, as does Safari. Besides that, the textbox will grow automatically once the bottom is reached (just try a few enters to confirm this).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider martijn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-update-november-2015?tu=martijn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.