Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 597 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by accidental
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should we bring back the thumbs down feature?”

• Yes get it back the way it was! 185 votes
      71%
    • Yes, but make it anonymous! 24 votes
      9%
    • No, good riddance! 51 votes
      20%

(260 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th.jpg
    FC.png
    Banner.png
    image.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-11-13_at_18.58.38.png
    thumb-fiction-660x371.jpg
    Hansoloprofilethumb-660x833.jpg
    Zissou_thumb-660x284.jpg
    Determinedator-660x371.jpg
    spck-thumb-nicholas-C-660x504.png
    The-Mates-Rix-660x348.jpg
    index.jpg
    thumbs_up_2.jpg
    image.jpeg
    thumb_down.jpg
    family_stuff.png
    There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.
    #551 8 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 18.58.38.png
    I felt the same and then discovered you can uncheck the box at the bottom of the pop-up.
    This has got the be the most customisable website on the internet!
    Thanks Robin!

I mean the banner down at the bottom of the screen that you see when you upvote directly:

Banner.pngBanner.png

#552 8 years ago

What's with the up/down counter showing a yellow 0 on some posts when there weren't any up/down votes? It's as if the ups and downs cancelled each other out, but there's nothing to cancel out.

#553 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

What's with the up/down counter showing a yellow 0 on some posts when there weren't any up/down votes? It's as if the ups and downs cancelled each other out, but there's nothing to cancel out.

I'm guessing that means someone up/down voted that post, but then canceled their vote (you can blame me, I was messing around with the new settings to check them out and up/downed a few threads temporarily). I'm assuming that's a bug, not a feature.

#554 8 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

I'm guessing that means someone up/down voted that post, but then canceled their vote (you can blame me, I was messing around with the new settings to check them out and up/downed a few threads temporarily). I'm assuming that's a bug, not a feature.

I don't think so, just tried it with a post that had no votes. Color doesn't stick.

#555 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I don't think so, just tried it with a post that had no votes. Color doesn't stick.

Weird, I just did it to this post of yours (upped and then removed the up) and it shows a yellow zero to me. Maybe you only see it on your own screen if you've already voted and then negged your vote for that post? Although that wouldn't explain why I'm seeing it and you're not.

#556 8 years ago

Yeah, yours changed colour after I downvoted/upvoted & then removed the upvote.

#557 8 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Weird, I just did it to this post of yours (upped and then removed the up) and it shows a yellow zero to me. Maybe you only see it on your own screen if you've already voted and then negged your vote for that post? Although that wouldn't explain why I'm seeing it and you're not.

Yep, I'm also seeing a yellow zero with no upvotes and no downvotes.

#558 8 years ago

Haha, thats definitely a bug! Probably a remnant from the post voting mech. Will look into it asap.

#559 8 years ago

Robin, while you're in here I wanted to ask again about the Chinese characters I see in place of the many unique icons used on the forum (Years, post count, games in collection, thumbs up, thumbs down, etc.). I'm on Windows 7, IE 11.0.9.

#560 8 years ago

I would have to guess the icon font has not loaded properly somehow. Could you try holding shift and hitting the refresh button of your browser?

Or alternatively clear your browser cache?

#561 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

It seems like after this latest tweak the reply box is much smaller on mobile.

image.jpg

What kind of phone is that? iPhone 4?

#562 8 years ago

iPhone 4s, 2:3, 640x960.

#563 8 years ago

Small suggestion on mobile:

Could the upvote/downvote buttons be moved to the top of the container? My first reaction is to tap something in the upper right of the container that appears....not scroll down then tap one of the buttons.

#564 8 years ago

I still am having problems seeing certain threads both on the forum front page and my own John_I "Forum Activity" page. The main problem is I can't see basement posts on my "Forum Activity" page and they also disappear from the front page if there have been no new posts since I visited the thread.

Edit: the forum front page problem seems to have gone away or maybe intermittent. The problem with basement posts not appearing in my forum activity is still there and happens all the time.

#565 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thanks for noticing, this bug was fixed.

Quoted from Crash:

iPhone 4s, 2:3, 640x960.

I have been trying to replicate this issue with no success. I did make a small tweak to set a minimum height for the textarea. Please see if that helps.

Quoted from John_I:

I still am having problems seeing certain threads both on the forum front page and my own John_I "Forum Activity" page. The main problem is I can't see basement posts on my "Forum Activity" page and they also disappear from the front page if there have been no new posts since I visited the thread.
    Edit: the forum front page problem seems to have gone away or maybe intermittent. The problem with basement posts not appearing in my forum activity is still there and happens all the time.

The way we designed this is with the idea of "what happens in the basement, stays in the basement" - Your public profile will not show your basement posts. So you will not see them on your public forum activity page but you should see them on your private forum activity page. The latter can be reached using the tabs at the top of any forum page.

#566 8 years ago

THANK YOU Robin, Martin, and crew !
    Feels like home again. To celebrate, I am going through this entire thread and thumbs-downing everybody.

#567 8 years ago

I now see 6 lines in the text box on my phone. This is perfect, thank you Robin!

#568 8 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

I now see 6 lines in the text box on my phone. This is perfect, thank you Robin!

The web browser is only offering 9 lines. This feels way to small with all this screen real estate on a desktop computer. Can this be increased too?

#569 8 years ago
    Quoted from ChadH:

The web browser is only offering 9 lines. This feels way to small with all this screen real estate on a desktop computer. Can this be increased too?

You do have the option of dragging the bottom right corner to make it bigger.

#570 8 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

You do have the option of dragging the bottom right corner to make it bigger.

Chrome has that option. I'm not sure about firefox.

#571 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Oh, I didn't realize it was browser specific. Carry on.

#572 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Firefox has that option as well, as does Safari. Besides that, the textbox will grow automatically once the bottom is reached (just try a few enters to confirm this).

#573 8 years ago

Any chance we can get the image upload box to wait until the text box is selected before loading on mobile? Having the page jump when you're trying to scroll to the bottom and use the "Jump to top" link is really annoying.

#574 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

The way we designed this is with the idea of "what happens in the basement, stays in the basement" - Your public profile will not show your basement posts. So you will not see them on your public forum activity page but you should see them on your private forum activity page. The latter can be reached using the tabs at the top of any forum page.

Makes a lot of sense thanks. I updated my short cut.

#575 8 years ago

This has always been not functional but since we're here.. If you come at a thread from the game archive / forum activity for a specific game; it won't jump to your last read message, always goes to page 1. I typically follow a few games, so I get hit with this maybe a bit more and its only a slight annoyance.. So if it's a major feature change don't bother.

#576 8 years ago

When I get a PM on my phone I don't get a notification of any kind when viewing the site in the portrait orientation.

#577 8 years ago

Is there a way to set your profile where you don't have to 'click to enter basement'? I know you only do it the first time, but if you log off you have to click it again next time you sign in.

1 week later
    #578 8 years ago

A welcome improvement for this site. As the buyer it is very scary sending money to someone who doesnt or barely checks out. Example they have been on pinside for only one or two years and their profile is not complete or set up. How can some of these people expect to sell a machine here with a minimum profile? It seems they may only be here just collect cash from suckers, or for flipping junk.
    Also wish pinside would have list of good shippers by the area. Even if shipping co. paid pinside to be listed here, and hopefully would give
    a discount to all pinside members.

#579 8 years ago

I'd love some way to mark all posts as read.

#580 8 years ago

Is it just me, or is the "basement" thing working? I feel like I'm getting VERY few drama threads on the home page now.
    -mof

#581 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

Is it just me, or is the "basement" thing working? I feel like I'm getting VERY few drama threads on the home page now.
    -mof

It seems to help. Less threads and I think less moderation needed. But they can give us those statistics.

#582 8 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

-mof

The basement is where threads go to die, nobody reads the posts.
    The last time I posted about a 20K contest for our rescue group Pinsiders were instrumental in winning it.
    I posted another one OT in the basement and nothing but crickets.
    Just get rid of OT all together since nobody sees them now, a total waste of bandwidth.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shelter-challenge-for-gsroc

#583 8 years ago

Yup, the basement/OT is a ghost town now.

#584 8 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Just get rid of OT all together since nobody sees them now, a total waste of bandwidth.

If nobody sees (looks at) posts in the basement, then it's impossible for it to be a "waste of bandwidth". It just won't use any. Would you like me to give you 10 examples of "wastes of bandwidth" that are not in the basement?

#585 8 years ago

Not sure why, but it has a creepy vibe and no longer feels like part of the community. I don't like the door locked mentality, it really upsets the balance of the entire thing IMO. I'd like to see parent controls by ID or age if the idea is to to discourage some from viewing/posting. The name probably does just as much drive off participation as does the permissions steps.

#586 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

If nobody sees (looks at) posts in the basement, then it's impossible for it to be a "waste of bandwidth". It just won't use any. Would you like me to give you 10 examples of "wastes of bandwidth" that are not in the basement?

It uses it for the initial post then wastes more if pics are posted.
    Total waste if nobody looks at any of it.
    If it's examples you want make them up yourself.
    Here is one to get you started.

FC.pngFC.png

#587 8 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

It uses it for the initial post then wastes more if pics are posted. Total waste if nobody looks at any of it.

I don't think you understand what bandwidth is. If I post a 20k picture and 100 people look at it, that's 2MB of bandwidth. If "nobody" looks at it, it uses NO downstream bandwidth.

#588 8 years ago

Only problem I have with the basement is it has become very hard to locate some of those fun threads from the past that are now buried there and don't come up on any searches. Dead and buried they are. Perhaps that's where they belong.

#589 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Only problem I have with the basement is it has become very hard to locate some of those fun threads from the past that are now buried there and don't come up on any searches. Dead and buried they are. Perhaps that's where they belong.

Aw, bummer if that's true. I wish we could bury some of these on-topic threads.

#590 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Aw, bummer if that's true. I wish we could bury some of these on-topic threads.

You can. Just drain them SDTM.

#592 8 years ago

th.jpgth.jpg

#593 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I'd love some way to mark all posts as read.

I just discovered that you can. Go to Forum > Activity tab. On any screen in this view you can use the 'Batch Edit' option at the top right to select all and mark as un-viewed (no longer green). If you want to clear literally everything then you'll want to do this on the 'Topics Which YOU VIEWED' tab here.

#594 8 years ago

Quick question: On mobile (I have an iPhone 4) is there a way you can have the thread stats present when you click into it, instead of clicking "show topic stats and tools"? I ask because I'd rather be able to immediately click through to the "there are X posts since your last visit" link.

#595 8 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Quick question: On mobile (I have an iPhone 4) is there a way you can have the thread stats present when you click into it, instead of clicking "show topic stats and tools"? I ask because I'd rather be able to immediately click through to the "there are X posts since your last visit" link.

Just curious if you're using this as a method of getting to the most recent unread post in the thread? Because you can get there by tapping/clicking the green 'unread count' number to the left of any threads in a list. That's always the fastest way to the most recent unread post (or last post if all read) in a given thread.

#596 8 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

Just curious if you're using this as a method of getting to the most recent unread post in the thread? Because you can get there by tapping/clicking the green 'unread count' number to the left of any threads in a list. That's always the fastest way to the most recent unread post (or last post if all read) in a given thread.

Oh my god, thank you. ...and yes, that's what I wanted it for. You rock, accidental!

There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-update-november-2015/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.