4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 597 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by accidental
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should we bring back the thumbs down feature?”

• Yes get it back the way it was! 185 votes
      71%
    • Yes, but make it anonymous! 24 votes
      9%
    • No, good riddance! 51 votes
      20%

(260 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 56 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

th.jpg
    FC.png
    Banner.png
    image.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-11-13_at_18.58.38.png
    thumb-fiction-660x371.jpg
    Hansoloprofilethumb-660x833.jpg
    Zissou_thumb-660x284.jpg
    Determinedator-660x371.jpg
    spck-thumb-nicholas-C-660x504.png
    The-Mates-Rix-660x348.jpg
    index.jpg
    thumbs_up_2.jpg
    image.jpeg
    thumb_down.jpg
    family_stuff.png

There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.
    #501 4 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

Please also consider leaving it turned off as it is now. Some of the people that are defending it here are the very reasons I'm guessing it went away. If someone posts the same thought over and over they get hammered for being a broken record, so how is someone going through an entire thread and down-voting half the posts any less of a problem? You have basically taken the same bad behavior and simplified it with a check box. Your instinct to get rid of this was right.
    If only having thumbs up is now an issue get rid of that as well. Force folks to talk with their words and not their mouse buttons.

thumb down.jpg

#502 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

just write boring vanilla posts that nobody will read anyway.

You single me out because I am not one of the in-crowd here and we both know it.

I have always posted for good will and I count on people to discern this. I have never singled out anyone here for a put-down.

#504 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I usually know I'm going to get thumbs downed as I'm writing a post. If something is controversial or offensive, it's to be expected. But I don't give a shit, and neither should anybody else. If you get butthurt over a thumbs down, just write boring vanilla posts that nobody will read anyway.

Quoted from vanilla:

You single me out because I am not one of the in-crowd here and we both know it.
    I have always posted for good will and I count on people to discern this. I have never singled out anyone here for a put-down.

Ok, this was hands-down the funniest follow-up to a comment that I've read all morning.

#505 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ok, this was hands-down the funniest follow-up to a comment that I've read all morning.

I agree. Classic stuff!

#506 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

PM attachments would be nice, as would email notifications. However, email services aren't cheap when sending in email bulk, so I doubt that will be coming anytime soon. I'd guess there would be tens of thousands of emails every day between the number of new posts and the number of users watching/replying to those posts.

Email costs nothing but bandwidth. You would just run your own smtp server. The biggest pain is the constant management of making sure people don't label you as spam.

PM attachment shouldn't be a storage concern. The fact robin require all images to be hosted on the site is far far far more of a storage concern - and one they have clearly accepted and stuck to over the years.

It would be very easy to implement storage quotas for private messages to limit the impact. Meanwhile you can create ads threads or forum threads day after day eating up almost unlimited storage and bandwidth.

#507 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Maybe there is a way to make everyone happy? I always try and aim for that. What if participating in thumbs up/down was optional? You either enable the thumbs system or you disable it (in settings).

If you choose to enable it, your posts can be thumbed up/down and you have the option to thumb up/down other peoples posts except posts by people who have the feature turned off.

Disable it, and you will not see the thumbs system anymore. Your posts cannot be thumbed up/down by others. Any thumbs you may have given in the past will no longer be displayed or counted.

I'm not a prolific poster but feel compelled to throw in my opinion. I really miss thumbs down and it's annoying to only have thumbs up since if feels like forced niceness. I don't know why but when I see this on other sites I usually stop going there as it bugs my every time I see "like" or thumbs up, but no other choice. A quick click on up/down and move along. It's fast and easy and allows me to express myself. Feels satisfying to me. I also think it's helpful to see how others feel by looking at the up/sown count and who is handing them out as I respect some Pinsiders more than others and sometimes I take another look when there are a lot of votes one way or another. Without it I guess I could still do it with a scroll down, type -1 and it send. 3 clicks to accomplish the same thing.

I think maybe you could make a change where you can turn off visibility to seeing them at all or maybe only seeing "up" for all posts, but not be able to prevent others from voting on your own posts. If you have them on you can see/vote on all posts, if not you can't see or vote on any posts.

I'm kind of neutral on making money off the site, if done well and it's not too intrusive or feels greedy I'm okay with it and I think Robin deserves it. Frankly I wish there was a way for him to sell the whole forum design to the rest of the internet since it's a great design.

Basement with less moderation is a fantastic idea. The whole idea of "taking it to the basement" is just fun and provides a nice hang out for those that like it and allows the more sensitive people or kids an easy way to avoid it. I was feeling uneasy about some of the moderation before this change.

#508 4 years ago

I just copied and pasted this from another thread but would really like to hear Robin's response as this topic has already been mentioned several times-

Distributers are always starting threads saying what games they have available but don't always list a price or link them to a marketplace ad. I think under the recent rule changes on pinside that should now change as well and it is up to those distributers to determine where the buyers found out about those games and report it accordingly as long as they are using pinside as an advertising place. It's the only fair thing to do the way things are now.

#509 4 years ago

Good points about the thumbs up / down. I think something can be said for both sides. I've had a good discusson with Martijn about this and together we concluded that the best solution to make the most people happy might be to compromise: a preference/setting for the thumbs system:

Forum settings > Post Thumbs Voting
    - Thumbs off (hide thumbs mechanism)
    - Up thumbs only
    - Up/Down thumbs

Then all I need to decide is which option setting should be the default.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Email costs nothing but bandwidth. You would just run your own smtp server. The biggest pain is the constant management of making sure people don't label you as spam.
    PM attachment shouldn't be a storage concern. The fact robin require all images to be hosted on the site is far far far more of a storage concern - and one they have clearly accepted and stuck to over the years.
    It would be very easy to implement storage quotas for private messages to limit the impact. Meanwhile you can create ads threads or forum threads day after day eating up almost unlimited storage and bandwidth.

Management is definitely the most expensive task of e-mail. And with that I also mean the configuration side of things plus how not to get blacklisted etc. Dealing with bounces and tuning postfix to handle PM replies efficiently. E-mail really sucks but we also can't live without it. At least not yet, though I'm looking into website push notifications.

Pinside currently handles around 40,000 pm messages per month. That's not too bad. But if I add topic/mention notifications (and I have been wanting to do this for a long time) this number will multiply big time. For example, we used to run our marketwatch system with its "ASAP mode" - it would send you an e-mail as soon as a wishlist game was spotted on Pinside or on Ebay. Well, we had to shut it down due to e-mail volume. 10,000 people had this option turned on with an average of say 5 wishlist games. That created a lot of e-mail peaks.

The same applies for PM attachments. They do not serve the greater good, but only two people. Super handy, but it needs to be capped. I currently have about 1.5 million pm messages in my message database. Imagine if 10% of those had, I don't know, 5mb in attachments. That's 750gb of images stored just in PMs. Of course this is just guess work because I simply do not know how much images people are going to share in pm's. But I bet it's gonna be a lot.

In my opinion, putting such functionality behind a premium (paid) account makes perfect sense. Can you live without those features? No problem, keep using Pinside as it is, for free. Would you enjoy or benefit from such features, hey then pay a small monthly/yearly amount to get access to them.

Quoted from o-din:

Distributers are always starting threads saying what games they have available but don't always list a price or link them to a marketplace ad. I think under the recent rule changes on pinside that should now change as well and it is up to those distributers to determine where the buyers found out about those games and report it accordingly as long as they are using pinside as an advertising place. It's the only fair thing to do the way things are now.

I get what you're saying and yes, you are right that this would be the most fair. Everyone should contribute equally. But it also has to be practical. I can imagine vendors would have no problem contributing but would rather have a flat fee of some sort. An added problem is that many vendors are not allowed to disclose NIB prices online. (note: we now offer a NIB promo option to list NIB games on the market without a price requirement)

To summarize: I cannot tackle every exception at once, but know that I will be continuing to work on trying to make things as fair as possible.

By the way, I'm open to feedback from vendors/powersellers on Pinside. PM me and let me know what ideas/features/options you would like to see, which would benefit your business and Pinside as a whole!

#510 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I currently have about 1.5 million pm messages in my message database.

I ran the math, I'm .15% of that. I should delete some messages I guess.

#511 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I can imagine vendors would have no problem contributing but would rather have a flat fee of some sort.

Thanks for your response. I guess figuring a flat fee would be difficult, and many vendors would not be wanting to pay in excess of $10,000
    if they were to sell 500 units here. But fairs fair and I think because they are profiteers where many pinsiders are not they should at least pay their fair share for each game they sell here to make it fair for everyone else. But you are the only one that can decide this.

#512 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Management is definitely the most expensive task of e-mail. And with that I also mean the configuration side of things plus how not to get blacklisted etc. Dealing with bounces and tuning postfix to handle PM replies efficiently. E-mail really sucks but we also can't live without it. At least not yet, though I'm looking into website push notifications.
    Pinside currently handles around 40,000 pm messages per month. That's not too bad. But if I add topic/mention notifications (and I have been wanting to do this for a long time) this number will multiply big time

I used to be a huge advocate of this (email notifications) as a way to drive engagement and the speed of discussions... but I think the web has moved past that now. The very good implementation of notifications (like you see in xenforo) in the site itself negate the need for per thread/post notifications. Add into that the idea of notifications that hit the browser or push notifications (like see browsers enabling now) really make email alerts antiquated. The need is the same.. you want people to know a topic they are interested in is active or changed.. but there are simply better ways to do it now vs email alerts.

Quoted from robin:

The same applies for PM attachments. They do not serve the greater good, but only two people. Super handy, but it needs to be capped. I currently have about 1.5 million pm messages in my message database. Imagine if 10% of those had, I don't know, 5mb in attachments. That's 750gb of images stored just in PMs. Of course this is just guess work because I simply do not know how much images people are going to share in pm's. But I bet it's gonna be a lot.
    In my opinion, putting such functionality behind a premium (paid) account makes perfect sense. Can you live without those features? No problem, keep using Pinside as it is, for free. Would you enjoy or benefit from such features, hey then pay a small monthly/yearly amount to get access to them.

Certainly sounds like 'non-expiring' PMs should be one of those features Sounds like a bunch of old data likely people don't look to age/delete. I totally agree with the last sentence about offering a PREMIUM experience with well thought out either 'superuser' features or 'luxury' things. The problem is its very difficult for people trying to pay the bills to avoid cutting into the core experience people expected before such tiers existed. Not impossible.. but it can be difficult to manage w/o a lot of negative ranting about things

#513 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Thanks for your response. I guess figuring a flat fee would be difficult, and many vendors would not be wanting to pay in excess of $10,000
    if they were to sell 500 units here. But fairs fair and I think because they are profiteers where many pinsiders are not they should at least pay their fair share for each game they sell here to make it fair for everyone else. But you are the only one that can decide this.

Again.. you keep going to the 'single user model, multiplied out' - that would never be the case.

Plus... I bet most distros would wet their pants if they sold 500 units off a pinside ad.

A more traditional model would be to invite vendors to participate as 'sponsors' where they must pay a recurring fee for privileges during a time period (charged up front). Those perks could include the rights to advertise games for sale, mentions/links, or other value added features that would drive potential customers to become leads and sales.

#514 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Plus... I bet most distros would wet their pants if they sold 500 units off a pinside ad.

How many MMRs do you think were sold as a result of the free advertising PPS had here on Pinside? Again at $8000 a pop.

#515 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

How many MMRs do you think were sold as a result of the free advertising PPS had here on Pinside? Again at $8000 a pop.

...Found under the definition of 'Corner Case'

Do you think Stern should be paying a fee as well for every sale Cointaker makes by being mentioned here?

The MMR case... you can't practically monetize every exposure your community exposes. You couldn't allow Rick to be a member of the site and say "NO.. you aren't allowed to mention MMR because you haven't paid your fee" and expect that to work forever. Rick simply wouldn't come here at all if that were the case.

You are really just trying to grasp at straws to blow holes in monetizing sales transactions here instead of trying to constructively find a model that suits all involved. This isn't the first private community that has opened itself to vendors or distributors and required them to pay for the benefits they receive... while trying to balance the community's benefit from their participation.

#516 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Do you think Stern should be paying a fee as well for every sale Cointaker makes by being mentioned here?

That makes no sense at all as Stern is not selling games here. Cointaker on the other hand is. They are a distributer just like PPS is.

Quoted from flynnibus:

Rick simply wouldn't come here at all if that were the case.

And he would sure be missed....

#517 4 years ago

Anyone else just get a ton of back to back ignored user posts ? Whatever it is, thumbs down

#518 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That makes no sense at all as Stern is not selling games here. Cointaker on the other hand is.

And Stern is benefitting from the sale... just like PPS benefited from his distributors promoting MMR here on pinside. PPS would have sold many many games even if it was just his distros posting here.. yet they benefited from those too.

Or let me put it more clean cut for you... What if a mod producer only sells his parts via distributors like Pinballlife and Marco. Your per transaction model nitpick falls apart here because they aren't actually closing transactions if they announce and promote their product... yet they are benefiting from leveraging Pinside's audience.

It's why your insistence on comparing a private transaction fee to access to promote or advertise your products is stupid and short sighted. You keep posting like 'hey, they need to pay too' - duh.. but they'll pay differently. It's dumb to try to tear down the game sales fee model by showing how it won't work for PPS/etc... it won't work and they wouldn't be asked to try to fit into the same model. You're creating a strawman that doesn't matter.

#519 4 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

And Stern is benefitting from the sale... just like PPS benefited from his distributors promoting MMR here on pinside.

PPS IS one of the distributers. They did not make the game. And in my opinion those that are making profitable game sales here should indeed pay at least as much per game as those that are selling for no profit or a loss.

#520 4 years ago

Anybody that sells anything pinball related benefits in a HUGE way from Pinside, from modders, to parts suppliers to manufacturers.

Stern and JJP read every word here, we are part of the thumbs up or down with respect to their products and what they sell or not.

I just ordered Titan rubber after reading through their thread, I bought my first pin, a LOTR LE after reading the reviews and comments on here, and the countless number of Mods and stuff from PBL over the years.

Sometimes I'm not sure whether to thank or blame Pinside for my pinball addiction. It's a great site obviously.

I think you can over analyze something and as my buddy always says, "let's do SOMETHING even if its wrong".

I'd say just put a fee structure in place for both users and sellers and tweak it from there. How you start won't be how you finish and it will never be perfect.

#521 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Then all I need to decide is which option setting should be the default.

Having it fully turned on to begin with (thumbs up and thumbs down) is the best in my view. That way, if someone really is bothered by the thumbs down ability they can look for how to turn it off. If it is never turned on to begin with new posters will never know about the feature.

Just my two cents on the matter.

#522 4 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

Having it fully turned on to begin with (thumbs up and thumbs down) is the best in my view. That way, if someone really is bothered by the thumbs down ability they can look for how to turn it off. If it is never turned on to begin with new posters will never know about the feature.
    Just my two cents on the matter.

I am a little late to the party here, but I agree completely with this. Thumbs down is an important feature, even if it is misused from time to time. My best example would be when I was targeted as a bad seller by another member of Pinside and the thumbs down count to show opposition to a ridiculous claim made against me really showed how far off base the claim was (his initial post reached 40 or 50 down votes in total, maybe more). Looking back on that thread now, you can still read through the many posts to find out the story, but before, it was very clear right out of the gate that it was a baseless claim. Where one or two thumbs down don't wall very loudly(if abused) tens of down votes let the reader know right away to be suspicious as the community has spoken in one voice against misdirection. It appears that we are headed back to the thumbs down system anyway, but just to add my opinion, it is helpful and I'd like to see it again.

#523 4 years ago
    Quoted from dapperdan24:

I am a little late to the party here, but I agree completely with this. Thumbs down is an important feature, even if it is misused from time to time. My best example would be when I was targeted as a bad seller by another member of Pinside and the thumbs down count to show opposition to a ridiculous claim made against me really showed how far off base the claim was (his initial post reached 40 or 50 down votes in total, maybe more). Looking back on that thread now, you can still read through the many posts to find out the story, but before, it was very clear right out of the gate that it was a baseless claim. Where one or two thumbs down don't wall very loudly(if abused) tens of down votes let the reader know right away to be suspicious as the community has spoken in one voice against misdirection. It appears that we are headed back to the thumbs down system anyway, but just to add my opinion, it is helpful and I'd like to see it again.

That's a great point.

#524 4 years ago

I think both thumbs up/down as default would be best. To show what features you have. Kinda like when I buy new software sometimes. Some companies turn on all the bells and whistles right out of the box so that the customer can see what it can do, then I'll methodically turn off the ones I won't need/use.

#525 4 years ago
    Quoted from dapperdan24:

That is a pretty compelling reason to have it back I will agree. But in your case someone was spreading false statements, I would contend that something (I'm not sure what) that is even stronger than a bunch of folks thumbs downing the posts needed to happen. There is already a link at the bottom labeled "Report post for...", I have never clicked on that but it sounds like your situation probably fell into that, and maybe by going that route the nonsense post would have just been removed by the moderators?

As you say it's probably coming back anyway. I would still vote for a system where if people go into the settings and "opt out" of the thumbing system that all of their posts be included in that decision as well. That way folks that truly enjoy that experience can have it, and folks that don't are 100% out of it.

#526 4 years ago

Bring back thumbs down. When I disagree with someone, it's better for Pinside to just click a button rather then get into back and forth rant fights.

#527 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Bring back thumbs down. When I disagree with someone, it's better for Pinside to just click a button rather then get into back and forth rant fights.

I agree Greg, I'm not a fan of back and forth rants either

#528 4 years ago

Give Rarehero back his thumbs down! I think 20 for a dollar is a fair price.

#529 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Give Rarehero back his thumbs down! I think 20 for a dollar is a fair price.

I think Rarehero should pay $20 for each thumbs down and drop the Pinside seller's fee. Robin will still make more money.

#530 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think Rarehero should pay $20 for each thumbs down and drop the Pinside seller's fee. Robin will still make more money.

Your downvote balance is running low. Add more funds today to express your opinion and thumbs down more posts.

#531 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Your downvote balance is running low. Add more funds today to express your opinion and thumbs down more posts.

Forget bitcoin - lets invent pincoin. Earn 1 pincoin for thumbs up. Spend 5 pincoin for thumbs down (Rarehero still has to pay 20 pincoins for thumbs down; Beelzeboob is right about that one).

#532 4 years ago

Update! It took me a bit longer than I had hoped for, due to some personal stuff coming up (more about that later), but today we're launching an update to the November update.

The most important reason for this update is to fix several annoying bugs in our Marketplace section. Some small validation bugs where generating huge problems for ending ads and even to getting to place stuff on the Market in the first place. Sorry about that!

What else has changed? I decided to drop the $2 forum placement fee. I felt this was conflicting too much with the Pinside mission. Initially, I thought it was a good idea (also because I think there were maybe too much ads cluttering up the forum frontpage) but in hindsight it wasn't. Discussing for sale ads is an important aspect of Pinside. Of course, it's still your own choice wether you want your ad on the forum or not.

I'm glad that the market sales fees, which we have introduced last week, has not lead to a decrease in ads at this time. In fact, we've received lots of support for this decision and even saw a slight increase on some days! We'll continue to monitor this. Obviously we don't want Pinside to go backward in terms of ad count

Let's see, what else is there. I have added an easy way to put a Marketplace ad "on hold": a button to mark it as sold pending. This way you won't have to edit your ad title etc. Simply click a button and your ad is marked as "sold pending". Click the button again to make it available again (i.e. if the sale fell through).

I made some adjustments to the UI in several places. Thanks for all the feedback about this. I'm always open to make changes so do not hesitate if you think stuff can be improved.

Okay what else... drumroll... The post voting system that Martijn and I cooked up has been retired after a week of service. It saw 3,038 votes and I'm sorry to those who have voted and whose votes are now rendered useless. It's a bit sad, we had great expectations, but after launching we quickly learnt that maybe it was a bit too much for this website. Too ambitious if you will. So that immediately makes you think: "what about the thumbs system". I'm gonna be very honest with you: I missed it too. And so I'm bringing it back, but in a slightly different form

But doesn't that mean we're gonna see thumb wars and all that negative crap again? Nope, not if I can help it. I have implemented some simple abuse detection to make sure people will not go on a downvoting frenzies against other Pinsiders. This is all *in beta*, so we might tweak this system as we go along in the coming weeks.

Some people indicated that they have no desire for any kind of thumbs/voting system on Pinside (yes I'm talking to you, mr Nate Shivers!) and for them I also have good news. Go to your forum settings and there you'll find a brand new option which allows you to switch to "thumbs up" mode only. Or even disable thumbs altogether, as some of you have requested.

Again, please note that bringing back the thumbs system is all in beta, we might change our minds, tweak it further, etc. Not sure yet but at this point in time this seemed like the best decision for Pinside.

Finally, if all is well, Paypal payments should now also be possible in our Market section. We had some trouble with our payment provider and this took some time to get fixed on their end. But it should work properly now, so sales fees and promo options can now also be paid using Paypal instead of creditcard/stripe.

If you have questions? Ask! I will still be a bit busy in the coming days with my personal matters, but Martijn and I will try our best to respond to questions or react to comments.

#533 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm always open to make changes so do not hesitate if you think stuff can be improved.

Quoted from robin:

I have implemented some simple abuse detection to make sure people will not go on a downvoting frenzies against other Pinsiders.

Quoted from robin:

Go to your forum settings and there you'll find a brand new option which allows you to switch to "thumbs up" mode only. Or even disable thumbs altogether, as some of you have requested.

Robin, you and Martijn's efforts are greatly appreciated. We Pinsiders are very fortunate to have a Webmaster/Developer that listens to their customers. The pop bumper scoring is back and so are downvotes!!

When I was writing for a Tech Website they took away the thumbs down and later the thumbs up and I felt that there was always something missing. I was sorry to see them go because it gave me as an information addict more information than I would have had without it - even if and especially because it was negative. Time will tell, but I think that you have done yeoman's work balancing the needs and wants of all Pinsiders. Bravo!

#534 4 years ago

I would love to be able to disable the pop-up banner that tells me I've just upvoted a post. I'm not sure why it was added - seeing the number go up was plenty of feedback for me.

#535 4 years ago

Thumbs up for the return of thumbs down!
    I rarely use it, but think it's an appropriate means of response in some cases.

Thanks!

#536 4 years ago

Thanks! Especially that they are now optional, I'd ask you to consider the filtering posts below a certain thumbs down. I feel bad, sometimes, about the 21 people on my ignore list as they occasionally have good things to say, but their signal to noise is too low. If I could activate a "hide posts with more than -5 thumbs down" I might be able to clear the ignore list... maybe. And, I also still like the opposite version too.. "Summarize" button - "show posts with over 5 thumbs up only".. or something similar at least. Anyways, I've repeated myself a few times on this and will let it go now

#537 4 years ago

Thanks for giving me my thumbs back Robin
    image.jpeg

#538 4 years ago

I didn't realize how much I missed the thumbs up/thumbs down until I just noticed it came back.

Thanks for continuing to be open about the site and to make changes ad hoc based on feedback. Keep it up Robin!

#539 4 years ago

SO GLAD to see the thumbs up/down is back. Thanks Robin!!

#540 4 years ago

Thumbs up the thumbs down being back!

#541 4 years ago

Yay the thumbs are back. Thank you Robin for bring it back.

#542 4 years ago

thumbs_up_2.jpg

#543 4 years ago

It's a shame the thumbs-down are retroactive. Now all my recent posts are screwed.

#544 4 years ago

i'm liking the recent tweaks
    you will continue to make more i am sure,
    overall moving in the right direction.
    keep up the good work and service.
    cheers tom

#545 4 years ago

I'm glad to see the thumbs up is back and located where it belongs.

#546 4 years ago

YES!!

The-Mates-Rix-660x348.jpg
    Determinedator-660x371.jpg
    Zissou_thumb-660x284.jpg
    Hansoloprofilethumb-660x833.jpg
    thumb-fiction-660x371.jpg

#547 4 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Update! It took me a bit longer than I had hoped for, due to some personal stuff coming up (more about that later), but today we're launching an update to the November update.
    The most important reason for this update is to fix several annoying bugs in our Marketplace section. Some small validation bugs where generating huge problems for ending ads and even to getting to place stuff on the Market in the first place. Sorry about that!
    What else has changed? I decided to drop the $2 forum placement fee. I felt this was conflicting too much with the Pinside mission. Initially, I thought it was a good idea (also because I think there were maybe too much ads cluttering up the forum frontpage) but in hindsight it wasn't. Discussing for sale ads is an important aspect of Pinside. Of course, it's still your own choice wether you want your ad on the forum or not.
    I'm glad that the market sales fees, which we have introduced last week, has not lead to a decrease in ads at this time. In fact, we've received lots of support for this decision and even saw a slight increase on some days! We'll continue to monitor this. Obviously we don't want Pinside to go backward in terms of ad count
    Let's see, what else is there. I have added an easy way to put a Marketplace ad "on hold": a button to mark it as sold pending. This way you won't have to edit your ad title etc. Simply click a button and your ad is marked as "sold pending". Click the button again to make it available again (i.e. if the sale fell through).
    I made some adjustments to the UI in several places. Thanks for all the feedback about this. I'm always open to make changes so do not hesitate if you think stuff can be improved.
    Okay what else... drumroll... The post voting system that Martijn and I cooked up has been retired after a week of service. It saw 3,038 votes and I'm sorry to those who have voted and whose votes are now rendered useless. It's a bit sad, we had great expectations, but after launching we quickly learnt that maybe it was a bit too much for this website. Too ambitious if you will. So that immediately makes you think: "what about the thumbs system". I'm gonna be very honest with you: I missed it too. And so I'm bringing it back, but in a slightly different form
    But doesn't that mean we're gonna see thumb wars and all that negative crap again? Nope, not if I can help it. I have implemented some simple abuse detection to make sure people will not go on a downvoting frenzies against other Pinsiders. This is all *in beta*, so we might tweak this system as we go along in the coming weeks.
    Some people indicated that they have no desire for any kind of thumbs/voting system on Pinside (yes I'm talking to you, mr Nate Shivers!) and for them I also have good news. Go to your forum settings and there you'll find a brand new option which allows you to switch to "thumbs up" mode only. Or even disable thumbs altogether, as some of you have requested.
    Again, please note that bringing back the thumbs system is all in beta, we might change our minds, tweak it further, etc. Not sure yet but at this point in time this seemed like the best decision for Pinside.
    Finally, if all is well, Paypal payments should now also be possible in our Market section. We had some trouble with our payment provider and this took some time to get fixed on their end. But it should work properly now, so sales fees and promo options can now also be paid using Paypal instead of creditcard/stripe.
    If you have questions? Ask! I will still be a bit busy in the coming days with my personal matters, but Martijn and I will try our best to respond to questions or react to comments.

Great calls on the update to the update.

I felt that in losing the thumbs down Pinside had lost some of its soul, so bringing those back seems right, especially with the tweaks you've made.

Also glad to see that the $2 placement fee is gone.

As always, your great responsiveness to the community and to its "needs" is so appreciated.

Lawrence

#548 4 years ago

Thank you Robin!

#549 4 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I would love to be able to disable the pop-up banner that tells me I've just upvoted a post. I'm not sure why it was added - seeing the number go up was plenty of feedback for me.

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 18.58.38.png

I felt the same and then discovered you can uncheck the box at the bottom of the pop-up.
    This has got to be the most customisable website on the internet!
    Thanks Robin!

#550 4 years ago

It seems like after this latest tweak the reply box is much smaller on mobile.

image.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    Pinball Haus
    $ 35.95
    Playfield - Other
    MicksPinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 22.00
    Hardware
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Hardware
    CPR Playfields
    £ 45.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 9.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 14.95
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside