Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 597 posts
  • 155 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by accidental
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Should we bring back the thumbs down feature?”

• Yes get it back the way it was! 185 votes
      71%
    • Yes, but make it anonymous! 24 votes
      9%
    • No, good riddance! 51 votes
      20%

(260 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th.jpg
    FC.png
    Banner.png
    image.jpg
    Screen_Shot_2015-11-13_at_18.58.38.png
    thumb-fiction-660x371.jpg
    Hansoloprofilethumb-660x833.jpg
    Zissou_thumb-660x284.jpg
    Determinedator-660x371.jpg
    spck-thumb-nicholas-C-660x504.png
    The-Mates-Rix-660x348.jpg
    index.jpg
    thumbs_up_2.jpg
    image.jpeg
    thumb_down.jpg
    family_stuff.png
    There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.
    #452 8 years ago

Robin has a very very good personal reason not to be here right now, and I'll leave that up to him to post about or not. But believe me, despite all that, he's still reworking and testing the system with a few changes based on the feedback and complaints here. He has not disappeared or abandoned us, despite some of the comments that have been posted after he worked his ass off for months behind the scenes trying to implement changes that many people have been begging for.

#453 8 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

I have to defend Robin here because this reads like you're assuming they simply saw the opportunity to cash in on Pinside.
    In reality their decision to go in on this full time takes balls and Pinside will only benefit in the long run from the dramatically increased attention. Some folk may not like some decisions but guess what, unlike faceless corporations running web services, Robin and Martijn are actually one of us, they care what we all think and they want to try to please everybody (which is frankly remarkable because it creates a ton more work).
    It's okay to be pessimistic, but comments like this unfairly ignore everything Robin has done so far and betray an understanding of how much care and attention has gone into Pinside.

You are wrong in your assumption that I'm implying they saw the opp to "cash in". I am not saying they did it for the money. I don't think that at all. I am simply saying that they saw an opportunity to work full time on something that they are very passionate about and may have jumped the gun. Who wouldn't want to work full time on their favorite hobby? I would! I'm just saying that they may have had blinders on, and not thought about the implications of their decision. Just look around. Is pinside a better place since all of these changes? IMO it is not. I have nothing but respect for Robin, I love pinside...I just prefer the old pinside.

#454 8 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

I have to defend Robin here because this reads like you're assuming they simply saw the opportunity to cash in on Pinside.

Quoted from accidental:

My goodness. What's with all the negative assumptions around here.

Please don't assume that I am assuming

#455 8 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

Improvements? How about the long requested app for mobile devices? Attachments via E-Mail? Thread notifications via E-Mail?

How about having some regard for why these suggestions may not be a good idea and what cost (development time, server load) it takes to implement?

App: absolutely no need for it. Would require enormous development resources to develop and maintain two codebases. The recent responsive site redesign is the right solution here.

Email attachments: Robin mentioned a desire to build a PM file attachment feature but stated that the storage space and bandwidth requirements are too much to bear with the site's current funding and time resources (hence the desire to make a paid service that covers the costs of this feature for those that want to use it).

Thread notifications via email: would bother the heck out of most people and would definitely see little use. Simply use pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/docrotcod to see what threads you're participating in have responses.

#456 8 years ago

I'm not demanding or even expecting more admin attention -- Robin's not suddenly our employee just because he's looking for ways to make some money off of a popular website that he happens to own.

At the end of the day if the site works well do I care whether Robin and his brother are working 40 hours a week or 4 hours a week on it? Nope, not a bit. And do I care if they collect money from me in the form of a "fee" on any game I happen to sell or an annual membership fee to avoid ads (if they decide to go that way someday) instead of my small voluntary annual donation? Nope, not really. Won't change much financially for me, or for most Pinside users.

#457 8 years ago

Saw this on another forum and relates to what I was mentioning earlier. Imagine this:

Thumbs up / down go into net total score like it did prior to this update.

- threshold in your settings for a number where below that it's treated like ignored user posts. Believe this would cut back on 'piling' on as less people even see the things that are inflammatory.

- in each thread a 'Summarize' button where its a filter the other way (maybe also using a personal threshold, or universal shared threshold) where only the >threshold positive scores are shown which lets you catch up quickly vs plowing through the 3000 posts.

This would also cut back on the joined late, don't know what's going on but a post on page 3 pissed me off' posts that I'm going to add on page 15.

Anyways, my 2 cents.

Need to go find a cash machine to update my stone cold heart.

#458 8 years ago
    Quoted from DocRotCod:

Improvements? How about the long requested app for mobile devices?

It's called 'responsive design' where the web adapts to mobile sized displays. Apps for a discussion forums are dead. Maybe if they built an app for their other features.. like selling, buying, research, etc.

#459 8 years ago

Sorry everyone, I know I haven't been around lately and I really regret that. I would love to participate in discussing the site update and reacting to all your comments in this thread - good AND bad - like I always do with every site update. But some family stuff has come up, with takes precedence over Pinside.

family_stuff.pngfamily_stuff.png

I dropped the ball a bit. The last update was not the best ever. I'm in the finishing stages of a major bugfix release. Thanks for everyone who helped out by reporting these. I'm still not sure about the thumbs feature. I might revert to how it was for now (with some added abuse checks added) and see how that goes. It would be arrogant to discard the poll results. The post voting thing is kind of a fail. I'll explain later what my intentions with this were and why, in hindsight, I think it's a bad idea

I find it hard to defend my choice to go "fulltime" with Pinside. Many people misunderstand or misrepresent my intentions and some people are downright mean-spirited in their comments. That's okay, all opinions are welcome. But let me assure you that this is not some evil plot to suddenly milk money from all of your collective pockets. Why would I ruin Pinside after working so hard on it for the past 14 years?

Truth is I have been running Pinside "fulltime" since Expo 2014 - just not getting paid for my time That will have to change a bit because, honesty, I cannot keep on working for free and I also cannot run this site in my spare time anymore. It's grown too big to be a hobby site. There's simply not enough time to manage Pinside and also do client work. And I have a family who also demand a lot of my time now

A choice had to be made. I decided to dive in, head first, and see if I could make it work. My brother, brave dude he is, decided to join in. Are we crazy? Maybe. Passionate about Pinside? Absolutely!

I'll promise you this. If it doesn't work out, then I will simply revert to my "daytime" work, designing apps for clients, as I have for the past 8 years. I will then not have so much time anymore to manage Pinside or develop new features like I used to but it will keep running as long as I possibly can manage doing that. Or until all of you loose interest and go elsewhere. And that's fine too, but let me at least give it a shot.

Anyways... Please know that I'm doing my best. The sky is not falling. Pinside will not be sold to a bunch of greedy corporate shareholders club. The Pinside mission is more alive than ever. See you soon, with hopefully some double good news...

Robin

#460 8 years ago
    Quoted from accidental:

In reality their decision to go in on this full time takes balls and Pinside will only benefit in the long run from the dramatically increased attention. Some folk may not like some decisions but guess what, unlike faceless corporations running web services, Robin and Martijn are actually one of us, they care what we all think and they want to try to please everybody (which is frankly remarkable because it creates a ton more work).
    It's okay to be pessimistic, but comments like this unfairly ignore everything Robin has done so far and betray an understanding of how much care and attention has gone into Pinside.

Not necessarily. If they are forced to monetize in order to supplement their lack of a day job they can just as easily ruin pinside. Have you noticed how few for sale threads there have been since the update? Not a good sign.

#461 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

But some family stuff has come up, with takes precedence over Pinside.

Family always comes first! I think things will work out fine, you're always really good about responding to feedback. Better than me really, I tend to just tell people to suck it up and get used to it, you actually listen and make things the way people ask.

Change gets people riled up, money gets people riled up, it will take some adjusting and fixing and explaining and then I'm sure everything will settle down.

#462 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Not necessarily. If they are forced to monetize in order to supplement their lack of a day job they can just as easily ruin pinside. Have you noticed how few for sale threads there have been since the update? Not a good sign.

I don't dispute the possibility of detrimental design decisions arising from a need to generate income. My argument is that Robin is a pinhead, Pinside is his baby, he doesn't want to ruin it any more than we want it ruined, and he and Martijn being in the position to focus their energies on the site full time will mean they can improve it at a far greater rate than before, ultimately making it better.

Robin's post above confirms my argument. If anything, the prior status quo was more likely to result in Robin having some kind of breakdown/burnout which would truly have resulted in a worse Pinside. Any situation that leads to more hours for Robin to spend working on the site, and a stable sustainable environment in which to do so, is ultimately the best outcome and I don't see how anyone could argue otherwise.

#463 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Have you noticed how few for sale threads there have been since the update? Not a good sign.

Just took a quick peek in the marketplace. I saw 16 machines posted yesterday, 10 posted on Nov. 2 (the day before the site change was rolled out). I'm not invested enough to do a full-blown survey, but at least from this anecdotal evidence it doesn't appear that marketplace postings have fallen off a cliff.

#464 8 years ago

Thanks for the update Robin. Best wishes with whatever it is that currently has your attention. I'm sure if it's anything the community can help out with, there will be more than enough folks willing to help.

Quoted from DocRotCod:

How about the long requested app for mobile devices?

What would the app do that the website doesn't already do? Personally, I thought that the responsive design update pretty much eliminated the need for an app.

Quoted from DocRotCod:

Attachments via E-Mail? Thread notifications via E-Mail?

PM attachments would be nice, as would email notifications. However, email services aren't cheap when sending in email bulk, so I doubt that will be coming anytime soon. I'd guess there would be tens of thousands of emails every day between the number of new posts and the number of users watching/replying to those posts.

#465 8 years ago

How about either of these ideas?

Idea 1) Bring back the thumbs down, and as long as users are signed in, they can do a thumbs down, but, no one, not even the one who downvotes, sees any thumbs down totals on ANY post while signed-in. Only those who are NOT signed into the site will see the thumbs down tally in each post.

This satisfies the signed-in user who wants to downvote a comment to get his/her need to disagree met, conveniently.
    This satisfies the signed-in user who does not want to see the downvotes and get agitated by them.
    This allows the newbies who have not yet become registered members, and also the lurkers who chance by the site, and anyone else who is not signed-in, to see the downvotes, as a way to satisfy those downvote advocates who say that their downvotes help those who do not yet know better in what they read here.

Because signed-in users do not see the tallies, this should placate those users who believe that some users give thumbs-down not based on personal integrity but for lesser reasons such as they see a high-count of negative votes and want to join the smack-down, or just want to feel they belong, or like to game the system, or are just jerks, or see that their buddy gave a downvote so they want to as well, making the downvote into a popularity contest, or have a compulsive need to make themselves known, or any of those less-than-noble reasons that are disliked by those who would not have those reasons and would not want to see them quantified.

Advocates of downvoting say they do it because they disagree with the post. They don't say that they do it because they were influenced by the existing downvote count that they saw in the post. Therefore these advocates should not insist that they need to see these tallies prior to casting their downvote. Right? Good. For those downvoters who still want to see who else downvoted, for those downvoters who give social meaning to their downvote, for those downvoters who essentially are human beings with these legitimate desires, they can sign-off and take a look anytime. In exchange for having been given this convenient wordless way to express their opinion, their possibly contentious opinion, they can sign-off and take a look, knowing that a few extra keystrokes on their part to meet their own extra needs serves a greater good than what we had before. They are big enough to do that much. Keep in mind, all registered users would have to be as big, if they were as curious.

For those remaining downvoters and any upvoters who read the above and believe they would have to sign-in, sign-off, sign-in, sign-off, just to get through a thread, well that is elective behavior and if you really follow the downvoting to that degree then now we are talking about something obsessive perhaps, people who are living a side life inside this downvoting thing, a choice outside of giving feedback.

Idea 2) Bring back the thumbs down but forget Idea 1 and just have a toggle button in your profile to globally suppress the downvote count so that each user can decide if he/she wants to see them or not.

#466 8 years ago

Double good news sounds like twins

#467 8 years ago

I m not a big fan of thumbs down, up is handy for people to approve a design which has been helpful in the past, but if the masses want it just keep it simple - have a "Rate" box with 3 small boxes underneath in the top rhs corner. The centre box is the overall rating colour and either side is a thumbs down and thumbs up button.

Centre box -
    no colour / neutral colour - means no vote has been cast as yet
    Overall negative voted - red in colour
    Overall positive voted - green in colour

don't show a tally of votes, nor show who has voted

only the moderators see a rating alert if a post and / or thread has hit a certain negative counter or sent a alert.

I think this gives people a chance to vote but when totals are not shown some people may stop voting for the sake of them having fun, Not knowing who voted might save on some of the bickering and pay back voting.

#468 8 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Double good news sounds like twins

Coming from Bangerjay, I can't believe he didn't accompany this quote with a picture of the top half of Kate Upton.

#469 8 years ago

Pinside is still the GREATEST site on the planet !
    We all love it, or we wouldn't be here. I just want my top corner back. If possible, I'd also like to be able to thumbs down myself, and save people some time.
    Just please dont ever mess with our emojii's...
    Best wishes with your family stuff Robin...we love ya man !!

#470 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

PM attachments would be nice, as would email notifications. However, email services aren't cheap when sending in email bulk, so I doubt that will be coming anytime soon. I'd guess there would be tens of thousands of emails every day between the number of new posts and the number of users watching/replying to those posts.

There are two expenses with email. One, is the heavy tax on disk I/O - but, compared to other aspects of Pinside, aren't really an issue. The other is with dealing with complaints of non-delivery; and dealing with actual non-delivery. Dealing with people marking mail as spam, and having that ISP eventually start blocking Pinside entirely. This is the sort of stuff that eventually pushed me out of hosting mailing lists.

If I *were* Robin, I'd send every notification with a trackable "SMTP FROM" (mail envelope from) address, that is tied back to the pinside user. And any non-delivery reports get bubbled back as feedback to the user when visiting the site. A dashboard to say "Btw, we had 75% of the email this week to you get rejected.". I'd also make it so that undeliverable (deferred) mail possibly give up quickly - hours, not the default of 5 days - and get the reject feedback to the user interface.

That said, people will complain - and I don't know that I'd want Robin wasting dev cycles.. doing postal work. I'd hope he'd create an admin role for 1 or more unix/mail clueful people to be "postmaster" to deal with the headaches that mail delivery inevitably brings.

[All that said: Yeah, I'd love it if Pinside had email notifications on threads, and @mentions!]

#471 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

There are two expenses with email. One, is the heavy tax on disk I/O - but, compared to other aspects of Pinside, aren't really an issue. The other is with dealing with complaints of non-delivery; and dealing with actual non-delivery. Dealing with people marking mail as spam, and having that ISP eventually start blocking Pinside entirely. This is the sort of stuff that eventually pushed me out of hosting mailing lists.
    If I *were* Robin, I'd send every notification with a trackable "SMTP FROM" (mail envelope from) address, that is tied back to the pinside user. And any non-delivery reports get bubbled back as feedback to the user when visiting the site. A dashboard to say "Btw, we had 75% of the email this week to you get rejected.". I'd also make it so that undeliverable (deferred) mail possibly give up quickly - hours, not the default of 5 days - and get the reject feedback to the user interface.
    That said, people will complain - and I don't know that I'd want Robin wasting dev cycles.. doing postal work. I'd hope he'd create an admin role for 1 or more unix/mail clueful people to be "postmaster" to deal with the headaches that mail delivery inevitably brings.
    [All that said: Yeah, I'd love it if Pinside had email notifications on threads, and @mentions!]

Indeed, managing a mail server can be a full time job in and of itself. There are email services, like amazon's could service which tends to handle a bulk of the issues, though, so you don have to fight with the blacklisting services and spam.

#472 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Indeed, managing a mail server can be a full time job in and of itself. There are email services, like amazon's could service which tends to handle a bulk of the issues, though, so you don have to fight with the blacklisting services and spam.

What do you do when people complain about not getting mail? Tell them to file a ticket with Amazon?

#473 8 years ago

BTW: For just *sending* mail out, you have to deal with other people doing anti-spam. But you don't have to accept incoming messages, don't have to deal with incoming filtering. That cuts the problem down significantly - but you'd still want some poor gullible sod to take on the postmaster role.

#474 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfesler:

What do you do when people complain about not getting mail? Tell them to file a ticket with Amazon?

Oh, I see what you're getting at. Yeah, sure, you're going to have to deal with some end-user stuff as with anything, but you can kick most of the more technical issues to the service provider.

But since it's only outgoing mail from pinside, you won't have a lot of the normal end user complaints and questions like you would with an actual email service (like gmail, yahoo, etc).

#475 8 years ago

We love you Robin, seriously. Don't let us Pinsiders get you down. This is the best pinball site ever, bar none.

#476 8 years ago

Robin,

Will I be able to ask for Pinside this Christmas this year? Ref https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-want-pinside-for-christmas from last year.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pinball 2000 H+V video sync combiner kit

#477 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm still not sure about the thumbs feature. I might revert to how it was for now (with some added abuse checks added) and see how that goes.

Please also consider leaving it turned off as it is now. Some of the people that are defending it here are the very reasons I'm guessing it went away. If someone posts the same thought over and over they get hammered for being a broken record, so how is someone going through an entire thread and down-voting half the posts any less of a problem? You have basically taken the same bad behavior and simplified it with a check box. Your instinct to get rid of this was right.

If only having thumbs up is now an issue get rid of that as well. Force folks to talk with their words and not their mouse buttons.

#478 8 years ago

it's funny how the the poll favors the thumbs down almost 4-1.

#479 8 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

Please also consider leaving it turned off as it is now. Some of the people that are defending it here are the very reasons I'm guessing it went away. If someone posts the same thought over and over they get hammered for being a broken record, so how is someone going through an entire thread and down-voting half the posts any less of a problem? You have basically taken the same bad behavior and simplified it with a check box. Your instinct to get rid of this was right.
    If only having thumbs up is now an issue get rid of that as well. Force folks to talk with their words and not their mouse buttons.

I'm absolutely considering this. All the problems it was causing between members, and the fact that a thumbs down without any accompanying comment could be considered as rather unconstructive in a discussion forum made me decide to remove the feature in the first place.

Maybe there is a way to make everyone happy? I always try and aim for that. What if participating in thumbs up/down was optional? You either enable the thumbs system or you disable it (in settings).

If you choose to enable it, your posts can be thumbed up/down and you have the option to thumb up/down other peoples posts except posts by people who have the feature turned off.

Disable it, and you will not see the thumbs system anymore. Your posts cannot be thumbed up/down by others. Any thumbs you may have given in the past will no longer be displayed or counted.

Just an idea that crossed my mind. Feel free to tell me I'm overthinking this.

#480 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I'm absolutely considering this. All the problems it was causing between members, and the fact that a thumbs down without any accompanying comment could be considered as rather unconstructive in a discussion forum made me decide to remove the feature in the first place.
    Maybe there is a way to make everyone happy? I always try and aim for that. What if participating in thumbs up/down was optional? You either enable the thumbs system or you disable it (in settings).
    If you choose to enable it, your posts can be thumbed up/down and you have the option to thumb up/down other peoples posts except posts by people who have the feature turned off.
    Disable it, and you will not see the thumbs system anymore. Your posts cannot be thumbed up/down by others. Any thumbs you may have given in the past will no longer be displayed or counted.

Robin I LOVE this idea, but possibly only because I'm looking forward to the complaints from the frustrated folks that can't thumbs down me when they desperately want/need to. Like this post for example.

#481 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

What if participating in thumbs up/down was optional? You either enable the thumbs system or you disable it (in settings).

How about a little more simple - if you leave a thumbs down, you must also comment on the thread. Weren't people just thumbs-downing every post of a person they disagreed with? By forcing a comment, they would be "out-ed" for doing it for no valuable reason on the topic. It might add to the conversation - I disagree with you because...

#482 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Over thinking it. In your summary, I don't understand the purpose anymore at all.

To me, the best benefit is to serve a function beyond popularity. Either by helping the moderators or by implementing a moderation scheme itself (I.e., negative threshold for hiding the content and/or positive threshold for summarizing content).

The people that get offended by a lot of thumbs down on their posts are, by definition, creating inflammatory material. So the question I guess is, is that something you want to preserve or curb.

#483 8 years ago

I love the idea to make it completely optional.

Quoted from FrankJ:

How about a little more simple - if you leave a thumbs down, you must also comment on the thread. Weren't people just thumbs-downing every post of a person they disagreed with? By forcing a comment, they would be "out-ed" for doing it for no valuable reason on the topic. It might add to the conversation - I disagree with you because...

Then what's the use in having a thumbs down feature if you have to post anyway? It's a quick way to disagree with someone or mark bad advice without spending time making a post about it. If someone posts bad or snarky comments and instead of 30 thumbs down we get 30 posts all saying the same thing, it would just get messy and would discourage legitimate users from taking advantage of it. In my opinion.

#484 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

The people that get offended by a lot of thumbs down on their posts are, by definition, creating inflammatory material. So the question I guess is, is that something you want to preserve or curb.

Pinside has a bad reputation for being pro-everythinganybodywantstosell to the masses here. And historically anyone that asks critical questions of such companies/projects gets the troll label and is eventually shouted out of the room. Recent history has demonstrated that blind faith in everyone that is trying to sell something here is not necessarily in everyone's best interests. The real problem is that "inflammatory" should only be folks breaking the forum rules and attacking members, not folks that don't agree with the pro-everything sunshine opinion.

#485 8 years ago
    Quoted from KoolFingers:

it's funny how the the poll favors the thumbs down almost 4-1.

I think it's funny that the people who don't like thumbs down are the ones giving thumbs down to it in the poll.

#486 8 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

Pinside has a bad reputation for being pro-everythinganybodywantstosell to the masses here. And historically anyone that asks critical questions of such companies/projects gets the troll label and is eventually shouted out of the room. Recent history has demonstrated that blind faith in everyone that is trying to sell something here is not necessarily in everyone's best interests. The real problem is that "inflammatory" should only be folks breaking the forum rules and attacking members, not folks that don't agree with the pro-everything sunshine opinion.

Ok so maybe I'm wrong but this post comes off like you are personally stinging from getting thumbs downed for saying negative things about jpop or predator or MMR or something. I don't think that is a problem with the thumbs down system, that's just human nature. You would have received a lot of negative feedback whether there was a thumbs down feature or not.

#487 8 years ago

I usually know I'm going to get thumbs downed as I'm writing a post. If something is controversial or offensive, it's to be expected. But I don't give a shit, and neither should anybody else. If you get butthurt over a thumbs down, just write boring vanilla posts that nobody will read anyway.

#488 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I usually know I'm going to get thumbs downed as I'm writing a post. If something is controversial or offensive, it's to be expected. But I don't give a shit, and neither should anybody else. If you get butthurt over a thumbs down, just write boring vanilla posts that nobody will read anyway.

I think there's a fairly broad spectrum of posts that get negative feedback - there are posts with incorrect information, there are snarky trolly mean spirited posts, posts that are overly aggressive or threatening, and finally posts that people simply disagree with for a variety of possible reasons (and yeah, viper, sometimes the disagreement is because it's something they don't want to hear). I actually think it is fine for "thumbs down" to encompass all these functions. People, both the people reading the post and the person who wrote it (as Beelzeboob pointed out) generally understand why a post is getting down votes. A more granular system adds complexity without adding any value, in my opinion.

#489 8 years ago
    #490 8 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

If you get butthurt over a thumbs down, just write boring vanilla posts that nobody will read anyway.

or be clear, thoughtful and nail your point home and get lots of thumbs up! Most people have a point behind their inflammatory bombastic BS that is never made clear cause they get more pleasure out of stirring the pot.

#491 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

Ok so maybe I'm wrong but this post comes off like you are personally stinging from getting thumbs downed for saying negative things about jpop or Predator or MMR or something.

Let me clear the air by letting you know that thumbs down never personally bothered me at all. It does seem to demonstrate who on the forums is trying to control the conversations and steer it in their direction. I am adult enough to listen and consider people's words on a subject, even people that aren't currently on my "side". Such discussions have at times caused me to switch my opinion on a particular subject, whereas I don't see a voting system ever doing that.

The only real product this site offers is discussion, if folks aren't up for that there is no reason to dumb it down with needless check boxes.

#492 8 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

(and yeah, viper, sometimes the disagreement is because it's something they don't want to hear)

This is for the forum owners to decide on, and the official moderators. Hence the reason it went away. I can see a point for rules violations but you pretty much summed up what is wrong with it here: It was being abused.

#493 8 years ago
    Quoted from sd_tom:

or be clear, thoughtful and nail your point home and get lots of thumbs up! Most people have a point behind their inflammatory bombastic BS that is never made clear cause they get more pleasure out of stirring the pot.

No...my point was that sometimes I have an opinion that I'm pretty sure won't be popular. It wasn't about stirring the pot. There are some people who like to agree with everybody, even when their hypocrisy is blatant.

#494 8 years ago

The way I'm understanding it, the big bitch about thumbs down is some people are abusing it. Why not put a button for suspected abuse, then Robin and/or mods can have a look or monitor the reported abuser. Then if true, have that person's thumbs (broken) turned off. But that too can be abused which causes more work.

#495 8 years ago

I may be in the minority, but I value the negative feedback I occasionally get (usually when posting while drinking). I don't need 8 different people telling me I'm being a jerk; 8 thumbs down sends a strong enough message.

I like the idea of letting people opt out of the thumbs-down feature. Seems like a good compromise.

#496 8 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

This is for the forum owners to decide on, and the official moderators. Hence the reason it went away. I can see a point for rules violations but you pretty much summed up what is wrong with it here: It was being abused.

I think trailing someone around and reflexively thumbs-downing their posts is abusing the system. Thumbs-downing your MMR posts (even if they were perfectly rational and ended up being correct) was not necessarily "abuse" - the thumbs-downs mostly represent disagreement and lots of people in those threads disagreed with you at the time.

I'm on the fence about thumbs down, I agree that it can cut down on a lengthy string of short responses to dumb (or even unpopular) opinions, but I can see that it also breeds a certain amount of negativity here. Having made the change already, maybe Robin should leave it gone for a few months to see how things shake out.

#497 8 years ago

I miss the thumbs down because now I don't know if Rarehero is reading my posts anymore.

#498 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I miss the thumbs down because now I don't know if Rarehero is reading my posts anymore.

Thank God. I thought it was just me.

#499 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I don't need 8 different people telling me I'm being a jerk; 8 thumbs down sends a strong enough message.

This is very true and why I think thumbs down should never go away. It is sort of a slap in the face to keep a normally OK person from being a keyboard commando. This sort of reminds me of a funny comedy bit I heard recently. Listen to the whole thing because I think it does apply here and also because it is damn funny:

#500 8 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Maybe there is a way to make everyone happy?

I think the latest quality rating system could be simplified to please everybody by including common positive and negative responses. Have three possible ratings that cover the range of reasons why someone might thumb up or down a post:

1) Agree (i.e. agreeing with point or tech advice)
    2) Like (i.e. cool photo, idea, suggestion, show of support)
    3) Disagree (i.e. disagreeing with point or tech advice)
    4) Off-topic (i.e. stupid meme image, unhelpful joke response, flame bait)

There are two positive and two negative ones so they could still equally combine to form an overall score like the old system did.

A generic thumbs down is too open to interpretation and abuse and gets used simply to jab at someone people dislike regardless of the merit of their post (i.e. Kaneda). So having two negative options, disagree and off-topic, neuter the kind of misuse that the thumbs down got. All someone could do to a person they dislike would be to disagree or label posts as off-topic. And they'd look stupid for it if the comment is genuinely helpful and on topic.

There are 597 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-update-november-2015/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.