(Topic ID: 158497)

Pinside update - Introducing 'connect' and more!

By robin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2016-05-25_at_9.53.29_AM_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    the-pied-piper-of-hamelin_4ffe8cc880bd9-p_(resized).jpg
    u4s4b3xRz5gOHwzO2KneDqIl7Bf_(resized).jpg
    quote-it-s-been-wonderful-for-me-and-i-feel-so-privileged-to-have-fans-that-are-that-loyal-jimmy-buffett-26751_(resized).jpg
    Screenshot_1565_(resized).png
    Screenshot_1566_(resized).png
    pasted_image_(resized).png
    Privacy_(resized).png
    Easy_user_buttons_(resized).png
    Pinsider_Pulse_(resized).png
    Following_Pulse_(resized).png
    Connect_status_icon_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hi all!

Lots of stuff going on at PinsideHQ and today I'm rounding up one of the features I've been working on for a while (I actually always work on several new ideas at the same time).

You've all been able to 'follow' Pinsiders for a while now. But aside from providing a convenient list of people who are your favorite people on Pinside there was not a lot of functionality attached to following people. That changes now.

It's called Pinside Connect.

Pinside Connect will give you insight what the people you're following are up to. Keep track of new games they bought, scores they set, posts they made, game ratings, achievements they've accomplished and more!

If you are already following people, you can check it out right now, go to the connect section by clicking the 'connect' status icon in the user status bar in the top right of the screen:

Connect_status_icon_(resized).pngConnect_status_icon_(resized).png

This will generate a list, called 'Following Pulse' with recent activity from all the people you follow:

Following PulseFollowing Pulse

In fact, every individual Pinsider has a pulse, which will display as a simple line graph right next to their user name:

Pinsider Pulse activityPinsider Pulse activity

This shows you how active they have been in the past 30 days.

...plus:

- You can also manage your following list in the Connect section, and also check out who is following you.
    - I have also decided to move PinsideMail from My-Pinside to this new connect section as it really fits well there.
    - And more cool Connect stuff is planned to help you connect to other Pinsiders! We're working on some really cool stuff.

What else is new?

Easy info/follow/ignore/pm buttons

Hover over someone's backbox avatar to access 4 important features:

Easy_user_buttons_(resized).pngEasy_user_buttons_(resized).png

- Show the info blueprint
    - Follow the Pinsider
    - Ignore a Pinsider
    - PM a Pinsider

(by the way, notice how in-active our test user Gizza is? Pulse is almost flat )

Community ranking lists
    Remember we used to have a Kings of Karma list in the community section? Since the Karma Points feature does not exist anymore, this has been replaced with 3 new top ranking" lists: Most followed, most achievement points and highest login streak. The latter is still a rather new statistic so this still needs to evolve. All of these are all for fun of course, but the intention is to promote the new features too!

Achievements
    Some new achievements have been added! Achievements also show up in Pulse, so it will now be easier to keep track of the achievements you (and your friends) have unlocked.

UI changes
    - The big color bar title is a bit smaller making room for a site-wide navigation path.
    - Tabs are now more useable and also work better on smaller screens.

Tons of small tweaks, bugfixes, design changes
    I'm notoriously bad at keeping track of all the work I do on the code, but almost 25% of all code has been touched in this update. So, plenty of new bugs, performance tunes, tweaks and changes to make Pinside life better!

Comments? Suggestions?
    Please be kind! I'm all for constructive criticism, but also love positive feedback!

#3 7 years ago

Check your privacy settings in My Pinside > Settings

#9 7 years ago

Just to clarify, Pulse does not display more information about you then was already visible to others before the update. It respects your privacy settings concerning collection, ratings, scores etc.

Pulse only brings all your activity together in one list and groups it by day. This way, you can keep track of what your friends (or people who you find interesting) do. It's a lot like the forum activity tab in that regard but I'm hoping to make Pinside profiles more than just their forum posts.

I have plans to extend Pulse with other functionality. E.g. Allow Pinsiders to upload cool photos to their Pulse. Or let them "star" posts they like to be shown on their Pulse. Or let them paste outside links to cool websites or Youtube videos or whatever. It's clearly inspired by Twitter and that's kind of what I aim it to be: a way to tell your followers: "hey, look at this cool content!"

As with most things on Pinside: you can choose if you want to enable this feature. If you don't like the idea/concept, simply go to your privacy settings and set Pulse to a more private setting. Maybe only let friends see your Pulse (friends are mutual followers). Or set it private completely so noone can see it. It's all your choice.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Really glad to see some functionality added to the followers/followees. This is so cool!

Thanks Ryan

Quoted from jlm33:

This is good to know and worth highlighting. So... if someone you do not know is following you, and you decide to "follow back" just to check who the Hell is that guy, you become mutual "friends"?
    I suggest a "caution/disclaimer note" when trying to "follow back".

The concept "to follow back just to check who the Hell is that guy" does not make sense to me. Why would you follow someone who you do not know? I mean, surely you can first go and check out their posts, their collection, their ratings etc to decide if this person is interesting enough to follow, *before* you start following them?

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

yup, 2 more followers already.
    I am not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind this new feature. Then again, I still dont own a smart phone and dont do twitter or most social media stuff much.

Well it could be possible that this feature is not for you

Seriously though, I wouldn't have come up with this feature if I didn't think it was a good idea. I'm trying to create more social cohesion between Pinside members. It's always been one of the goals of this site: connect pinheads.

And while you're only seeing potential "stalkers", I'm enjoying following my friends and some of the more interesting people on Pinside. I learn that one of my friends adds a game to her wishlist and another friend bought a game that we discussed at TPF. And it shows me high scores from friends who I can then send PMs to congratulate. It points me to new reviews from a Pinsider whose reviews I like reading. And lots more! And we're only getting started with these "automatic" Pulse items.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I want to know what it means if you and one of the moderators is following me?
    Guess I have to be extra nice now. SHIT!!!

You bet!

No seriously, Brian. I'm following you because (through all the bullcrap) you actually have a lot of interesting stuff to say about pin restoration.

Quoted from ff6735:

Haha me too
    On a serious note, Robin, nice job. I like the look and look forward to see how this progress forward. Keep up the good work and a big Thank You also.
    Paul

Appreciate it!

Quoted from schudel5:

Interesting that I can ignore myself and send myself a PM but can't follow myself. #narcissistsunite

Sending yourself a PM is a great way to test if your PM capabilities are functioning correctly. Ignoring yourself should not be possible (when you try it should tell you it's not possible), let me check on that... And obviously you cannot follow yourself, that could get the Pulse stuck in an endless loop

Quoted from zacaj:

Appreciate the feature, was wondering what that follow button is for, but a way to force-unfollow people definitely seems like a good idea

There is nothing wrong with people following you. It probably just means they find your posts interesting etc. If you don't want them to see your collection items or rating updates you can set the privacy settings accordingly. If you would only like approved followers to see your Pulse (which is honestly kind of pointless because your forum activity is and always has been accessible by everyone) you could even switch the whole Pulse system to "friends-only" and then only people who follow you and who you follow back will be able to see your activity.

Again, all the data in your Pulse is already accessible by visiting your profile page and browsing through the individual tabs.

Quoted from zacaj:

Also, it'd be cool if there was a way to tell from the Connect icon if there were new posts from people I follow. I assumed at first the numbers represented that, but they're just a count (which you don't really need to see, since it doesn't change much)

I like that idea, let me ponder on that for a bit.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

Pulse is cool, I like it. Thanks Robin. Now I can notice when Sunshine just dumps a load of high scores, great.

Thanks. Yep and I'm working on some other stuff regarding scores that will be fun too.

Quoted from Stretch7:

I noticed the search dialog box is now gone ....i can still access from a new page but i liked how i could stay on main page and typed what i was searching.
    Are you able to bring this feature back?

It was a space issue. So I was planning for a search box to pop up when clicking or hovering over the search icon. But ran out of time. Still on my to do list though.

Quoted from Otaku:

Awesome! Now I just need Robin to be my first follower so I can brag...

If you're interesting, I'll follow you

Quoted from Otaku:

Also, did this break the archive, now dubbed the "games" page? No matter what you type in (even random characters, as shown) 25/2195 games come up, unfortunately pushing the game you want down to the bottom.

I renamed "Game Archive" to "Games" because it's shorter.
    The bug is obviously not supposed to happen, thanks for reporting!

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Just sent Martijn a new red heart since his was grey?!!?

Awesome. That should reveal to you two new achievements that Martijn himself created. How fitting!

#56 7 years ago

Whoah guys, following has nothing to do with stalking. At least, that's definitely not the thought behind it. In that respect I think some are reading too much into it or are frankly just being paranoid - it's pinball, supposed to be fun and all that!

The connect feature is "just" another addition to Pinside. There's a lot more to this site than just the forum. Obviously the forum is the biggest section and the most upfront and accessible way to communicate but there's more happening: people are rating games, writing and commenting on stories, adding locations - or editing location games. There are scores being added, photos being uploaded, pinball machines being put up for sale on the market. Events are being added to the calendar - and people indicating they're attending them. And so much more!

I found that a lot of that gets kind of lost in all the rumble of the forum and that's why I wanted to come up with a different way to "stay informed" on what your pinball friends (or people you find otherwise interesting) are doing. Our mission is to connect pinheads and that's what I'm trying to do here.

So who do you want to follow? I'd begin with friends and people in your area. That way you'll find out when "John", who lives near you, is adding a Ghostbusters to his collection. Send him a PM and ask if you can come play it. Or you would learn that your friend Marcus finally really made a killer score on his CFTBL. Now you can offer him to take the game of his hands, there's no more challenge for him You could go and follow Ben Heck to stay up to date on what he's posting. Or Vid. Or Spooky charlie.

Those are just a few examples. With over 35,000 people posting in one place, things can sometimes become a bit disconnected - Pinside Connect and the Pinside Pulse are the start of a concept that will hopeful proof useful to the community and if they are, they'll likely be extended with other features later this year. I was thinking about also adding the ability to follow games (get informed when there are posts, ratings or other stuff regarding a game), locations (stay informed of game updates to your favorite locations). Heck you could even follow topics or events. And then the next step in all this could be to add some kind of notification system. But I digress.

Thoughts, ideas? Let me know! Hate being followed? Go to your account settings and disable other people's access to your Pulse. You don't have to like everything Pinside offers (although I really hope you'll give it a shot!)

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

What is this little orange ! icon supposed to mean? It doesn't show up in all quotes and just takes me to the post that was quoted.

It was an experimental feature that isn't finished yet. I forgot to disable it briefly and that's why you have seen it

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Turning Pinside into a popularity contest is a big turn off to me.

While my intentions for the follow feature have nothing to do with popularity, I do see what you mean. Having a little status icon under your name listing "only" 1 follower may be kind of disheartening. Again, following should not be a status thing but I do realise that's how some will interpret it.

After some discussion here, I have decided to remove the followers count from the user stats. At least for now. I have also removed "followers" from your profile summary page (since it's not directly relevant to your own profile as you have no choice in who follows you), leaving only an overview of who you are "following".

I might put following and followers behind a privacy option in the future, although I do not see that need right now.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-update-introducing-connect-and-more?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.