(Topic ID: 158497)

Pinside update - Introducing 'connect' and more!

By robin

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2016-05-25_at_9.53.29_AM_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    the-pied-piper-of-hamelin_4ffe8cc880bd9-p_(resized).jpg
    u4s4b3xRz5gOHwzO2KneDqIl7Bf_(resized).jpg
    quote-it-s-been-wonderful-for-me-and-i-feel-so-privileged-to-have-fans-that-are-that-loyal-jimmy-buffett-26751_(resized).jpg
    Screenshot_1565_(resized).png
    Screenshot_1566_(resized).png
    pasted_image_(resized).png
    Privacy_(resized).png
    Easy_user_buttons_(resized).png
    Pinsider_Pulse_(resized).png
    Following_Pulse_(resized).png
    Connect_status_icon_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_faz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

(by the way, notice how in-active our test user Gizza is? Pulse is almost flat )

I'm betting Gizza is quiet now... but in the end will finish strong!

#51 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gizza:

Here is some Pinside testing jargon for you all to enjoy: xxxxxxxxx.

Gizza!!! This is a FAMILY forum!

You kiss your mother with that mouth??
    faz

#53 7 years ago

IMO Being followed has nothing to do with a "forum".

Scenario #1: I have a tech issue. I search the forum for a prior similar issue
    I find a pre-existing post that handles my issue (or close enough)
    I don't post my added benefit to the thread; I get smarter; the problem is fixed; the forum is a silent hero
    I do post my added benefit to the tread; I get smarter; the problem is fixed; the form is a hero
    BOTH cases.... all is good. Followers matter not.

Scenario #2: I have a tech issue.
    I post to the forum; good people contribute; forum increases a few IQ points.... all is good
    Someone might be inspired to follow someone else based upon the exchanges.

Scenario #3: I'm bored out of my mind and I want to have some fun
    I check out my "smart-ass" followers to see what's fun in the community. All is good
    Nobody wants to follow me because I'm just not that interesting.

Scenario #4: I'm bored out of my mind and I want to learn.
    I check out what Chris, Vid, Zaza or the other amazing techs are working on.
    Nobody wants to follow me because I'm just not that good of a tech.

Scenario #5: I'm bored out of my mid and want to help out.
    I read every thread posted every day (sometimes more in depth than others). Given my skill level (or lack there of) I dip my beak into the mix only a fraction of the time.
    Every once in a while the blind squirrel finds a nut... I help someone else out.
    Maybe someone decides to follow me... maybe not.

I never liked to "follow" someone before because, as whysnow pointed out early on,...it's like getting stalked. But now that the community has made this a "thing" I'm adding more and more of my favorite people to watch to my list. It makes scenarios 3 and 4 much easier. Although when I'm in scenario #5, I see the usual suspects there anyway

My 2¢.
    faz

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

it's pinball, supposed to be fun and all that!

It totally is... and I'm glad for the new feature. It's helping me to grow my skills and have more fun using Pinside..... no stalking going on (honestly how could you stalk someone on a pinball forum). Facebook on the other hand just creeps me out given all the personal data being thrown out there.... it's a fraudsters paradise.

Quoted from o-din:

I've picked up six more "followers" since this thread started.

As the docile tones of o-din.... must follow off cliff...
    faz

#63 7 years ago

I'm more of an "action adventure" kinda guy. I never got into Kaneda's drama/soap operas.

Pinball is fun... Pinside makes pinball fun AND educational. I get enough drama at work
    faz

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

As a new pinsider, I see it more as a reputation thing than a popularity thing. Easier to trust the advice of someone telling you how to wash circuit boards etc. if a bunch of others are following that person.

Agree completely!
    faz

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_faz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-update-introducing-connect-and-more?tu=pinball_faz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.