(Topic ID: 158497)

Pinside update - Introducing 'connect' and more!

By robin

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Jackontherocks
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2016-05-25_at_9.53.29_AM_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    the-pied-piper-of-hamelin_4ffe8cc880bd9-p_(resized).jpg
    u4s4b3xRz5gOHwzO2KneDqIl7Bf_(resized).jpg
    quote-it-s-been-wonderful-for-me-and-i-feel-so-privileged-to-have-fans-that-are-that-loyal-jimmy-buffett-26751_(resized).jpg
    Screenshot_1565_(resized).png
    Screenshot_1566_(resized).png
    pasted_image_(resized).png
    Privacy_(resized).png
    Easy_user_buttons_(resized).png
    Pinsider_Pulse_(resized).png
    Following_Pulse_(resized).png
    Connect_status_icon_(resized).png

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gizza:

Here is some Pinside testing jargon for you all to enjoy: xxxxxxxxx.

Gizza!!! This is a FAMILY forum!

You kiss your mother with that mouth??
    faz

#52 5 years ago

There is only one thing worse than being followed, and that is not being followed.

Turning Pinside into a popularity contest is a big turn off to me. Don't expect I'll be posting much from now on.

#53 5 years ago

IMO Being followed has nothing to do with a "forum".

Scenario #1: I have a tech issue. I search the forum for a prior similar issue
    I find a pre-existing post that handles my issue (or close enough)
    I don't post my added benefit to the thread; I get smarter; the problem is fixed; the forum is a silent hero
    I do post my added benefit to the tread; I get smarter; the problem is fixed; the form is a hero
    BOTH cases.... all is good. Followers matter not.

Scenario #2: I have a tech issue.
    I post to the forum; good people contribute; forum increases a few IQ points.... all is good
    Someone might be inspired to follow someone else based upon the exchanges.

Scenario #3: I'm bored out of my mind and I want to have some fun
    I check out my "smart-ass" followers to see what's fun in the community. All is good
    Nobody wants to follow me because I'm just not that interesting.

Scenario #4: I'm bored out of my mind and I want to learn.
    I check out what Chris, Vid, Zaza or the other amazing techs are working on.
    Nobody wants to follow me because I'm just not that good of a tech.

Scenario #5: I'm bored out of my mid and want to help out.
    I read every thread posted every day (sometimes more in depth than others). Given my skill level (or lack there of) I dip my beak into the mix only a fraction of the time.
    Every once in a while the blind squirrel finds a nut... I help someone else out.
    Maybe someone decides to follow me... maybe not.

I never liked to "follow" someone before because, as whysnow pointed out early on,...it's like getting stalked. But now that the community has made this a "thing" I'm adding more and more of my favorite people to watch to my list. It makes scenarios 3 and 4 much easier. Although when I'm in scenario #5, I see the usual suspects there anyway

My 2¢.
    faz

#55 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

Nobody wants to follow me because I'm just not that good of a tech.

Following you so that I can see what other techs you are following

#56 5 years ago

Whoah guys, following has nothing to do with stalking. At least, that's definitely not the thought behind it. In that respect I think some are reading too much into it or are frankly just being paranoid - it's pinball, supposed to be fun and all that!

The connect feature is "just" another addition to Pinside. There's a lot more to this site than just the forum. Obviously the forum is the biggest section and the most upfront and accessible way to communicate but there's more happening: people are rating games, writing and commenting on stories, adding locations - or editing location games. There are scores being added, photos being uploaded, pinball machines being put up for sale on the market. Events are being added to the calendar - and people indicating they're attending them. And so much more!

I found that a lot of that gets kind of lost in all the rumble of the forum and that's why I wanted to come up with a different way to "stay informed" on what your pinball friends (or people you find otherwise interesting) are doing. Our mission is to connect pinheads and that's what I'm trying to do here.

So who do you want to follow? I'd begin with friends and people in your area. That way you'll find out when "John", who lives near you, is adding a Ghostbusters to his collection. Send him a PM and ask if you can come play it. Or you would learn that your friend Marcus finally really made a killer score on his CFTBL. Now you can offer him to take the game of his hands, there's no more challenge for him You could go and follow Ben Heck to stay up to date on what he's posting. Or Vid. Or Spooky charlie.

Those are just a few examples. With over 35,000 people posting in one place, things can sometimes become a bit disconnected - Pinside Connect and the Pinside Pulse are the start of a concept that will hopeful proof useful to the community and if they are, they'll likely be extended with other features later this year. I was thinking about also adding the ability to follow games (get informed when there are posts, ratings or other stuff regarding a game), locations (stay informed of game updates to your favorite locations). Heck you could even follow topics or events. And then the next step in all this could be to add some kind of notification system. But I digress.

Thoughts, ideas? Let me know! Hate being followed? Go to your account settings and disable other people's access to your Pulse. You don't have to like everything Pinside offers (although I really hope you'll give it a shot!)

#57 5 years ago

I've picked up six more "followers" since this thread started.

the-pied-piper-of-hamelin_4ffe8cc880bd9-p_(resized).jpg

#58 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

it's pinball, supposed to be fun and all that!

It totally is... and I'm glad for the new feature. It's helping me to grow my skills and have more fun using Pinside..... no stalking going on (honestly how could you stalk someone on a pinball forum). Facebook on the other hand just creeps me out given all the personal data being thrown out there.... it's a fraudsters paradise.

Quoted from o-din:

I've picked up six more "followers" since this thread started.

As the docile tones of o-din.... must follow off cliff...
    faz

#59 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Good point... I can search, but the search result is weird. Will check with Robin

Yes, searching games is broken at the moment for sure.

#61 5 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Yes, searching games is broken at the moment for sure.

Robin mentioned there is a fix in the works, and should go live soon.

#62 5 years ago

Just give us the option of opting out of pulse and following please....
    Even though the information has always been available, at least you had to do a bit of research...
    Just seems like an unneccesary invasion of privacy

#63 5 years ago

I'm more of an "action adventure" kinda guy. I never got into Kaneda's drama/soap operas.

Pinball is fun... Pinside makes pinball fun AND educational. I get enough drama at work
    faz

#64 5 years ago

What is this little orange ! icon supposed to mean? It doesn't show up in all quotes and just takes me to the post that was quoted.

image_(resized).jpeg

#65 5 years ago

If you hover over the orange triangle, you should see a message that says the quoted text may have been changed from the original.

#66 5 years ago

Ah, I'm on iOS so I can't hover. That's what I thought.

#67 5 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

What is this little orange ! icon supposed to mean? It doesn't show up in all quotes and just takes me to the post that was quoted.

It was an experimental feature that isn't finished yet. I forgot to disable it briefly and that's why you have seen it

#68 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

It was an experimental feature that isn't finished yet. I forgot to disable it briefly and that's why you have seen it

Dang it! I wanted to hover to see what it said, now I'm on a laptop and can't do that. Waahh!

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Robin mentioned there is a fix in the works, and should go live soon.

And it looks like it has been fixed

#70 5 years ago

At any point has moderators been "assigned' to certain individuals?

#71 5 years ago

I'm looking at you Forceflow!

#72 5 years ago
    Quoted from wcbrandes:

At any point has moderators been "assigned' to certain individuals?

I simply add folks to my follow list who have interesting or useful things to say

#73 5 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Turning Pinside into a popularity contest is a big turn off to me.

While my intentions for the follow feature have nothing to do with popularity, I do see what you mean. Having a little status icon under your name listing "only" 1 follower may be kind of disheartening. Again, following should not be a status thing but I do realise that's how some will interpret it.

After some discussion here, I have decided to remove the followers count from the user stats. At least for now. I have also removed "followers" from your profile summary page (since it's not directly relevant to your own profile as you have no choice in who follows you), leaving only an overview of who you are "following".

I might put following and followers behind a privacy option in the future, although I do not see that need right now.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Here is a feature request. Allow a sticky to be unstickied for a user as soon as read once. I hate having a page of stickies so anything that gets stickied gets drained. I bet I'm not the only one either. I was hoping that new pin icon was selectable so I could unsticky it was a button.

In other forums those are 'annoucements' instead of sticky threads. Sticky are intended to stay at the top.. announcements are shown at the top and can be dismissed..

#75 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Whoah guys, following has nothing to do with stalking. At least, that's definitely not the thought behind it. In that respect I think some are reading too much into it or are frankly just being paranoid - it's pinball, supposed to be fun and all that!

Its just an example of a good thing.. that can be used for bad purposes.

If you are the type that you think 'this guy always follows me everywhere I go and only puts me down or my posts' or "this guy downvotes all my posts!!".. and you see that person on your following list -- you're going to hate that these guys can easily follow you and do exactly what you think they are doing.

#76 5 years ago

So, one thing that I am noticing is now that the UI that's built into your avatar picture has extra functionality, I am accidentally hitting it a lot when I scroll on iOS/Safari. I tend to scroll with my left thumb and it's capturing that touch as a gesture to bring up the 2x2 and this is slowing scrolling down.

Is there a way to tweak this or otherwise provide an option to turn it off?

Marc

#77 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

While my intentions for the follow feature have nothing to do with popularity, I do see what you mean. Having a little status icon under your name listing "only" 1 follower may be kind of disheartening. Again, following should not be a status thing but I do realise that's how some will interpret it.

As a new pinsider, I see it more as a reputation thing than a popularity thing. Easier to trust the advice of someone telling you how to wash circuit boards etc. if a bunch of others are following that person.

#78 5 years ago
    Quoted from sulakd:

As a new pinsider, I see it more as a reputation thing than a popularity thing. Easier to trust the advice of someone telling you how to wash circuit boards etc. if a bunch of others are following that person.

Agree completely!
    faz

#79 5 years ago

Hey, Robin! How about the ability to follow the pin map and see when games are added in your neighbourhood?

2 weeks later
    #80 5 years ago

I would love to suggest adding proper Facebook Open Graph tags to minimally Market Place ad pages.

If you currently share an ad on Facebook you get Ad not Found OG data which looks like the attached
    Screen_Shot_2016-05-25_at_9.53.29_AM_(resized).png

Tags are easy to construct in PHP using rawurlencode and should be a pretty simple matter of grabbing some DB fields, encoding them and dropping the tags in the head

See a Debug output from Facebook about what is missing: https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object/

Thanks!

#81 5 years ago

After some time, I still really like the feature. I think the reaction of some has to do with personal boundaries. There are way to many threads to keep up with. I follow a few of my friends and can easily see where they are posting. I discover that some topics are interesting to me that I may have ignored previously.

#82 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

I follow a few of my friends and can easily see where they are posting.

I like following the new fake accounts that always pop up...that way when they get booted I can see it quickly

1 month later
    #83 5 years ago

How about having a link to people who are selling games in each state or country, unless it exists already. I know or see post games for sale but would love to see pinsiders per each state for sale tab. It is nice to see trusted pinsiders for sales post.

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside