(Topic ID: 158497)

Pinside update - Introducing 'connect' and more!

By robin

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 83 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Jackontherocks
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2016-05-25_at_9.53.29_AM_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    the-pied-piper-of-hamelin_4ffe8cc880bd9-p_(resized).jpg
    u4s4b3xRz5gOHwzO2KneDqIl7Bf_(resized).jpg
    quote-it-s-been-wonderful-for-me-and-i-feel-so-privileged-to-have-fans-that-are-that-loyal-jimmy-buffett-26751_(resized).jpg
    Screenshot_1565_(resized).png
    Screenshot_1566_(resized).png
    pasted_image_(resized).png
    Privacy_(resized).png
    Easy_user_buttons_(resized).png
    Pinsider_Pulse_(resized).png
    Following_Pulse_(resized).png
    Connect_status_icon_(resized).png

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Hi all!

Lots of stuff going on at PinsideHQ and today I'm rounding up one of the features I've been working on for a while (I actually always work on several new ideas at the same time).

You've all been able to 'follow' Pinsiders for a while now. But aside from providing a convenient list of people who are your favorite people on Pinside there was not a lot of functionality attached to following people. That changes now.

It's called Pinside Connect.

Pinside Connect will give you insight what the people you're following are up to. Keep track of new games they bought, scores they set, posts they made, game ratings, achievements they've accomplished and more!

If you are already following people, you can check it out right now, go to the connect section by clicking the 'connect' status icon in the user status bar in the top right of the screen:

Connect_status_icon_(resized).png

This will generate a list, called 'Following Pulse' with recent activity from all the people you follow:

Following Pulse

In fact, every individual Pinsider has a pulse, which will display as a simple line graph right next to their user name:

Pinsider Pulse activity

This shows you how active they have been in the past 30 days.

...plus:

- You can also manage your following list in the Connect section, and also check out who is following you.
    - I have also decided to move PinsideMail from My-Pinside to this new connect section as it really fits well there.
    - And more cool Connect stuff is planned to help you connect to other Pinsiders! We're working on some really cool stuff.

What else is new?

Easy info/follow/ignore/pm buttons

Hover over someone's backbox avatar to access 4 important features:

Easy_user_buttons_(resized).png

- Show the info blueprint
    - Follow the Pinsider
    - Ignore a Pinsider
    - PM a Pinsider

(by the way, notice how in-active our test user Gizza is? Pulse is almost flat )

Community ranking lists
    Remember we used to have a Kings of Karma list in the community section? Since the Karma Points feature does not exist anymore, this has been replaced with 3 new top ranking" lists: Most followed, most achievement points and highest login streak. The latter is still a rather new statistic so this still needs to evolve. All of these are all for fun of course, but the intention is to promote the new features too!

Achievements
    Some new achievements have been added! Achievements also show up in Pulse, so it will now be easier to keep track of the achievements you (and your friends) have unlocked.

UI changes
    - The big color bar title is a bit smaller making room for a site-wide navigation path.
    - Tabs are now more useable and also work better on smaller screens.

Tons of small tweaks, bugfixes, design changes
    I'm notoriously bad at keeping track of all the work I do on the code, but almost 25% of all code has been touched in this update. So, plenty of new bugs, performance tunes, tweaks and changes to make Pinside life better!

Comments? Suggestions?
    Please be kind! I'm all for constructive criticism, but also love positive feedback!

#2 5 years ago

Anyway to prevent people from following you.

Woke up this morning to realize I have 8 stalkers. Kind of creepy.

Previous to now I thought you could delete people from following you?

#3 5 years ago

Check your privacy settings in My Pinside > Settings

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Given that one of your followers is called "Dexter", the term stalker/follower starts to have a whole different meaning

I assume 99.9% of followers are not stalkers, but I see your point.

#5 5 years ago

The submit an editted post button disappeared for me on mobile (Android chrome) this am.. Possibly related?

As far as the features, dunno I guess I'm a glass half empty. Think it could be abused and ultimately promote additional drama if people use it to follow people they love trolling.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Given that one of your followers is called "Dexter", the term stalker/follower starts to have a whole different meaning
    I assume 99.9% of followers are not stalkers, but I see your point.

Changed it to 'friends' now in settings. It still shows 8 stalkers as a heads up. Not sure if it takes time to clear out?

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Given that one of your followers is called "Dexter"

Dexter actually is a friend and cool that he has me on pulse (assuming that is what this feature is intended for). A few others that I am not friends with (1 being a mod which i assume is just keeping tabs on me, lol, but still a bit creepy).

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Changed it to 'friends' now in settings. It still shows 8 stalkers as a heads up. Not sure if it takes time to clear out?

Clicking on Friends does not remove followers, it indicates the followers won't access you pulse activity - they cannot track you this way. This would work with the following settings:

Privacy_(resized).png

#9 5 years ago

Just to clarify, Pulse does not display more information about you then was already visible to others before the update. It respects your privacy settings concerning collection, ratings, scores etc.

Pulse only brings all your activity together in one list and groups it by day. This way, you can keep track of what your friends (or people who you find interesting) do. It's a lot like the forum activity tab in that regard but I'm hoping to make Pinside profiles more than just their forum posts.

I have plans to extend Pulse with other functionality. E.g. Allow Pinsiders to upload cool photos to their Pulse. Or let them "star" posts they like to be shown on their Pulse. Or let them paste outside links to cool websites or Youtube videos or whatever. It's clearly inspired by Twitter and that's kind of what I aim it to be: a way to tell your followers: "hey, look at this cool content!"

As with most things on Pinside: you can choose if you want to enable this feature. If you don't like the idea/concept, simply go to your privacy settings and set Pulse to a more private setting. Maybe only let friends see your Pulse (friends are mutual followers). Or set it private completely so noone can see it. It's all your choice.

#10 5 years ago

Really glad to see some functionality added to the followers/followees. This is so cool! You're too good to us, Robin. Many thanks for the continual update of features.

Sincerely,
    Ryan

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

(friends are mutual followers)

This is good to know and worth highlighting. So... if someone you do not know is following you, and you decide to "follow back" just to check who the Hell is that guy, you become mutual "friends"?

I suggest a "caution/disclaimer note" when trying to "follow back".

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Really glad to see some functionality added to the followers/followees. This is so cool!

Thanks Ryan

Quoted from jlm33:

This is good to know and worth highlighting. So... if someone you do not know is following you, and you decide to "follow back" just to check who the Hell is that guy, you become mutual "friends"?
    I suggest a "caution/disclaimer note" when trying to "follow back".

The concept "to follow back just to check who the Hell is that guy" does not make sense to me. Why would you follow someone who you do not know? I mean, surely you can first go and check out their posts, their collection, their ratings etc to decide if this person is interesting enough to follow, *before* you start following them?

#13 5 years ago

Stalker friendly was my first thought when I saw this.

There is already an option to mark a thread or topic as a "favorite".

This just has a gut feeling of being unnecessary.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from gatordad:

Stalker friendly was my first thought when I saw this.
    There is already an option to mark a thread or topic as a "favorite".
    This just has a gut feeling of being unnecessary.

yup, 2 more followers already.

I am not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind this new feature. Then again, I still dont own a smart phone and dont do twitter or most social media stuff much.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I am not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind this new feature. Then again, I still dont own a smart phone and dont do twitter or most social media stuff much.

Following....

#16 5 years ago

Robin;i have never been a member of a website before joining Pinside! This is absolutly what i like to do ,now in my :golden years:and had the opportunity to share my hobby with so many other great folks,yourself included! This gives folks like myself who are new,to meet and share info,spend money,and have fun!Also to introduce us to all the fine dealers and hobbyists who create those crazy fine mods we all cherish! In short,EXCELLENT WORK!!!Thank you !!!

#17 5 years ago

lol

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Check your privacy settings in My Pinside > Settings

I want to know what it means if you and one of the moderators is following me?

Guess I have to be extra nice now. SHIT!!!

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Haha me too

On a serious note, Robin, nice job. I like the look and look forward to see how this progress forward. Keep up the good work and a big Thank You also.

Paul

#20 5 years ago

Interesting that I can ignore myself and send myself a PM but can't follow myself. #narcissistsunite

#21 5 years ago

Appreciate the feature, was wondering what that follow button is for, but a way to force-unfollow people definitely seems like a good idea

#22 5 years ago

Funny, at one time I had six stalkers including moderators and now I have zero!

Wonder if it's something I said..

Edit- never mind, they're back!

#23 5 years ago

Also, it'd be cool if there was a way to tell from the Connect icon if there were new posts from people I follow. I assumed at first the numbers represented that, but they're just a count (which you don't really need to see, since it doesn't change much)

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Funny, at one time I had six stalkers including moderators and now I have zero!
    Wonder if it's something I said..

if you figure it out, please let me know

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

if you figure it out, please let me know

It showed zero until I logged in. Then it said six, but only five are there. I don't mind cause it don't matter.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

The concept "to follow back just to check who the Hell is that guy" does not make sense to me. Why would you follow someone who you do not know? I mean, surely you can first go and check out their posts, their collection, their ratings etc to decide if this person is interesting enough to follow, *before* you start following them?

Oh cool. A moderator fight!

Pinside donation sent!!!

#27 5 years ago

Pulse is cool, I like it. Thanks Robin. Now I can notice when Sunshine just dumps a load of high scores, great.

pasted_image_(resized).png

#28 5 years ago

I noticed the search dialog box is now gone ....i can still access from a new page but i liked how i could stay on main page and typed what i was searching.
    Are you able to bring this feature back?

#29 5 years ago

Awesome! Now I just need Robin to be my first follower so I can brag...

#30 5 years ago

Also, did this break the archive, now dubbed the "games" page? No matter what you type in (even random characters, as shown) 25/2195 games come up, unfortunately pushing the game you want down to the bottom.

Screenshot_1565_(resized).png
    Screenshot_1566_(resized).png

#31 5 years ago

Just sent Martijn a new red heart since his was grey?!!?

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Well it could be possible that this feature is not for you

Seriously though, I wouldn't have come up with this feature if I didn't think it was a good idea. I'm trying to create more social cohesion between Pinside members. It's always been one of the goals of this site: connect pinheads.

And while you're only seeing potential "stalkers", I'm enjoying following my friends and some of the more interesting people on Pinside. I learn that one of my friends adds a game to her wishlist and another friend bought a game that we discussed at TPF. And it shows me high scores from friends who I can then send PMs to congratulate. It points me to new reviews from a Pinsider whose reviews I like reading. And lots more! And we're only getting started with these "automatic" Pulse items.

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

You bet!

No seriously, Brian. I'm following you because (through all the bullcrap) you actually have a lot of interesting stuff to say about pin restoration.

Quoted from ff6735:

Haha me too
    On a serious note, Robin, nice job. I like the look and look forward to see how this progress forward. Keep up the good work and a big Thank You also.
    Paul

Appreciate it!

Quoted from schudel5:

Interesting that I can ignore myself and send myself a PM but can't follow myself. #narcissistsunite

Sending yourself a PM is a great way to test if your PM capabilities are functioning correctly. Ignoring yourself should not be possible (when you try it should tell you it's not possible), let me check on that... And obviously you cannot follow yourself, that could get the Pulse stuck in an endless loop

Quoted from zacaj:

Appreciate the feature, was wondering what that follow button is for, but a way to force-unfollow people definitely seems like a good idea

There is nothing wrong with people following you. It probably just means they find your posts interesting etc. If you don't want them to see your collection items or rating updates you can set the privacy settings accordingly. If you would only like approved followers to see your Pulse (which is honestly kind of pointless because your forum activity is and always has been accessible by everyone) you could even switch the whole Pulse system to "friends-only" and then only people who follow you and who you follow back will be able to see your activity.

Again, all the data in your Pulse is already accessible by visiting your profile page and browsing through the individual tabs.

Quoted from zacaj:

Also, it'd be cool if there was a way to tell from the Connect icon if there were new posts from people I follow. I assumed at first the numbers represented that, but they're just a count (which you don't really need to see, since it doesn't change much)

I like that idea, let me ponder on that for a bit.

Quoted from DefaultGen:

Pulse is cool, I like it. Thanks Robin. Now I can notice when Sunshine just dumps a load of high scores, great.

Thanks. Yep and I'm working on some other stuff regarding scores that will be fun too.

Quoted from Stretch7:

I noticed the search dialog box is now gone ....i can still access from a new page but i liked how i could stay on main page and typed what i was searching.
    Are you able to bring this feature back?

It was a space issue. So I was planning for a search box to pop up when clicking or hovering over the search icon. But ran out of time. Still on my to do list though.

Quoted from Otaku:

Awesome! Now I just need Robin to be my first follower so I can brag...

If you're interesting, I'll follow you

Quoted from Otaku:

Also, did this break the archive, now dubbed the "games" page? No matter what you type in (even random characters, as shown) 25/2195 games come up, unfortunately pushing the game you want down to the bottom.

I renamed "Game Archive" to "Games" because it's shorter.
    The bug is obviously not supposed to happen, thanks for reporting!

Quoted from pinwiztom:

Just sent Martijn a new red heart since his was grey?!!?

Awesome. That should reveal to you two new achievements that Martijn himself created. How fitting!

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

It was a space issue. So I was planning for a search box to pop up when clicking or hovering over the search icon. But ran out of time. Still on my to do list though.

That's what i figured...pop up would work great too .....i guess you had me spoiled or maybe i just got lazy with the search box ....be looking forward to update

#34 5 years ago

Here is a feature request. Allow a sticky to be unstickied for a user as soon as read once. I hate having a page of stickies so anything that gets stickied gets drained. I bet I'm not the only one either. I was hoping that new pin icon was selectable so I could unsticky it was a button.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It showed zero until I logged in. Then it said six, but only five are there. I don't mind cause it don't matter.

I'm now following you!

Quoted from Whysnow:Anyway to prevent people from following you.
    Previous to now I thought you could delete people from following you?

Been Stalking you!

Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Been following you!

Seriously guys. Your digging way to deep in this. I follow a bunch of people. I use the follow kind of like "friends on Facebook. People I chat with, people I like and people I have future interest in. Ex: getting work done on a game, buying games or parts from. Since I am kind of new it's easier to remember who the hell everyone is.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I'm now following you!

quote-it-s-been-wonderful-for-me-and-i-feel-so-privileged-to-have-fans-that-are-that-loyal-jimmy-buffett-26751_(resized).jpg

#37 5 years ago

Any way that we could add a feature to follow a particular game?
    Maybe it exists now and I don't know how to do it.
    I think it'd be cool to follow some, particularly more unique, games.
    Currently I do a forum search every now and again to see if new forum posts have popped up.

#38 5 years ago

It would be kind of cool to have a lot of games that you can get a feed of threads with those games tagged. Seconded!

#39 5 years ago

I followed everyone that was participating in the Pindigo thread, so if anyone is wondering why I'm following them... There it is.

#40 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

I followed everyone that was participating

If you were to follow me you might end up in the forbidden zone.

u4s4b3xRz5gOHwzO2KneDqIl7Bf_(resized).jpg

#41 5 years ago

Shouldn't it be the other way around though?

#42 5 years ago

Maybe we should ask Dr. Zaius.

#43 5 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

(by the way, notice how in-active our test user Gizza is? Pulse is almost flat )

I'm betting Gizza is quiet now... but in the end will finish strong!

#44 5 years ago

Is anyone else unable to search for games since the update?

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spoon1223:

Any way that we could add a feature to follow a particular game?
    Maybe it exists now and I don't know how to do it.
    I think it'd be cool to follow some, particularly more unique, games.
    Currently I do a forum search every now and again to see if new forum posts have popped up.

From archive area, each game has a forum activity link. So can bookmark those.

Example, TBL forum activity:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/big-lebowski/forum

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bos98:

Is anyone else unable to search for games since the update?

Good point... I can search, but the search result is weird. Will check with Robin

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Good point... I can search, but the search result is weird. Will check with Robin

The result is the same no matter what you type in, but different if you leave it blank.

#48 5 years ago

Great feature Robin.

#49 5 years ago

Glad to see I only have one follower

Cannot remember posting anything worth reading

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_faz:

I'm betting Gizza is quiet now... but in the end will finish strong!

Oh I'm here! Slaving away behind the keyboard, testing stuff for Robin.

Here is some Pinside testing jargon for you all to enjoy: Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam auctor faucibus dui non luctus. Ut vitae tellus at nulla vehicula lobortis. Integer tincidunt, massa ut tristique pretium, leo libero posuere nibh, accumsan aliquet dui dui non erat. Aenean sed blandit dolor. Nullam id neque mollis, tincidunt turpis et, lobortis augue. Maecenas in massa augue. Aliquam non nisi arcu. Pellentesque in tincidunt purus. Ut a porta purus.

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside