Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 126 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by superNoid
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

37D957E6-C3AB-4CC4-9F25-336D35D1BB21 (resized).jpeg
    Ehs5nZkUcAI-ksF (resized).jpg
    giphy (17).gif
    870520AC-897E-455C-8C3C-AF4AE30B79BD (resized).jpeg
    giphy (6).gif
    There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 11 months ago

Seeing all the Spike 2 games listed reinforces that the LCD hasn't been a game changer for Stern IMO. Despite a handful of amazing games, overall they still haven’t surpassed the golden age of SAM with: IM, MET, ACDC, TWD, ST, Tron, GOT.

I'd only rank several above or along side the best SAM machines: Godzilla, Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters and maybe BKSOR. EHOH, BM66, DP and STh have great assets and code, but don’t shoot that well. I love LZ as a shooter but it doesn’t have the looks and enough “stuff” for broad appeal. Never understood the love for JP. Don’t have enough play on Beetles, Bond or Rush to judge. Others are bottom tier for me but still decent.

#102 11 months ago

No matter how you stack them, this is one impressive list of games. I sat down to try and rank them but gave up. I'll just say that any list that doesn't have Star Wars and Rush in the top five or six games is wrong.

#103 11 months ago

Stern is making a lot of just fun games.Seems, I collect B/W's ( yes they are fun as well), but love to play the Sterns. Interesting to see, Stern's now dominating the Pinside top ten

My SW has a custom sound track and pin woofer sound system. It would be the last game to leave my collection

B/W Munsters gets a lot of play in our house. It is low on every ones list but it is the game people are constantly reaching out to me to sell/trade. Thought about it once, but then decided no way. Dwights code updates made a big difference.

007 is going to be higher on every ones list once it is code complete. Some really satisfying shots. A lot of movie clips. large number of modes, great sound FX. I can see the concern about multiple same shot modes, hopefully that gets fixed.

Had a ST pro. Really liked it. Local Jersey Guy kept after me to sell. The usual "my kid really wants one" routine. Finally gave in. He kept it for like a month and then sold it . Would love one back. Would need to re mortgage the house to purchase.

EHOH and BM66 have tremendous code. Thought the shots were a little boring/simple, but necessary to process though the expansive code. Would like to get them back some time.

JP is also a cool game. Really like it when I am making the shots. Can be a clunk monster when not making the shots tho.

I can see why GZ is rated the highest on many lists. A lot of unique play field features / toys.

Never played Rush /FF. They look interesting. The Rush PF looks cool.

AS. Been there/ done that. Nuff said.

LZ, only played the pro. Racked up a ton of replay's. Must of been on easy play as I suck as a player. Need to get on a premium. My dream music title but not on the pro anyway.

#104 11 months ago
    Quoted from NC_Pin:

Bottom 6
    20- Beatles
    Not played enough to rate - FF, Aeromsith, GOTG

I’m just curious, why did you rank The Beatles so low? I was just chatting with someone last night about it, and how I was really impressed with how it both felt like an old pin but it has all the bells and whistles of a modern stern. It doesn’t feel like anything else in their spike2 lineup.

I will say I never played Seawitch though

#105 11 months ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

Seeing all the Spike 2 games listed reinforces that the LCD hasn't been a game changer for Stern IMO. Despite a handful of amazing games, overall they still haven’t surpassed the golden age of SAM with: IM, MET, ACDC, TWD, ST, Tron, GOT.
    I'd only rank several above or along side the best SAM machines: Godzilla, Iron Maiden, Foo Fighters and maybe BKSOR. EHOH, BM66, DP and STh have great assets and code, but don’t shoot that well. I love LZ as a shooter but it doesn’t have the looks and enough “stuff” for broad appeal. Never understood the love for JP. Don’t have enough play on Beetles, Bond or Rush to judge. Others are bottom tier for me but still decent.

Agree but GOT wasn’t SAM it’s Spike.

I’ve owned more SAM than anything else and still have

Potc
    IM
    ST
    Met
    TWD

My Spike 2
    DP
    Godzilla
    BM66
    JP
    SW

5 of each in my 15 pin collection. But I’ve owned Tron, AcDc, XMLE as well.

I can’t decide which I like better but probably slight edge to the Spike because I like the larger display. But probably SAM feel better built or shoot better.

I’d love some of older pins like Tron, SM, Iron Man upgraded with modern display and graphics. The dot matrix scene rips are pretty bad.

37D957E6-C3AB-4CC4-9F25-336D35D1BB21 (resized).jpeg37D957E6-C3AB-4CC4-9F25-336D35D1BB21 (resized).jpeg

#106 11 months ago
    Quoted from thekiyote:

I’m just curious, why did you rank The Beatles so low? I was just chatting with someone last night about it, and how I was really impressed with how it both felt like an old pin but it has all the bells and whistles of a modern stern. It doesn’t feel like anything else in their spike2 lineup.
    I will say I never played Seawitch though

I just found it painfully boring. I have only played it on location, but it just wasn’t for me. I have maybe 10 games on it- but the last time I played it I walked away with a credit remaining

#107 11 months ago

No one would downvote you if they actually saw you and thought about fighting you.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Screw the pinside top 100, these are the best Stern Spike 2 (LCD video) games. Fight me…
    1.Godzilla
    2.Elvira’s House of Horrors
    3.Batman66
    4.Deadpool
    5.Foo Fighters
    6.Jurassic Park
    7.Star Wars
    8.Stranger Things
    10.Mandalorian
    11.Black Knight Sword of Rage
    12.Led Zeppelin
    13.Iron Maiden
    14.Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles
    15.Guardians of the Galaxy
    16.Avengers
    17.Rush
    18.Beatles
    19.Munsters
    20.Aerosmith

#108 11 months ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

No one would downvote you if they actually saw you and thought about fighting you.

I'm sorry, are we in high school?

#109 11 months ago
    Quoted from jkashani:

Fighting over downvotes on pinside is an insane concept.

#110 11 months ago

Imo , Robin needs to drop the top 15% and bottom 15% from ratings to get a much more even ground . Let’s face it , everyone looks on Monday morning ,so might as well get it as right as possible .

#111 11 months ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

Imo , Robin needs to drop the top 15% and bottom 15% from ratings to get a much more even ground . Let’s face it , everyone looks on Monday morning ,so might as well get it as right as possible .

Or just look at post #1 in this thread.

#112 11 months ago

The "easiest" way (sure its still a lot of work) to correct the top 100 IMO would be to have options for timeframes. For example have filter options to list the top games by "top 100 games by year", "top 100 games be decade", "top Stern games", "top Spike 2 games", "top Bally games", etc, and still have the traditional top 100 as the default as it's always been. I think that would be a good compromise.

#113 11 months ago

Stern is doing a great job. There are a ton of machines on that list that I enjoy playing.
    I'm a simple guy so Beatles is probably #2 for me. Godzilla probably my #1 for now. Others that I really enjoy playing in no ranked order are Deadpool, Black Knight SOR, Elvira HOH, Batman 66, Jurassic Park, Led Zeppelin, and Star Wars. There are a few of the newer machines that I haven't played yet. If someone forced me to fork over more money than I spent on my daily driver used Honda Fit to buy a pinball machine, I would buy the Beatles or Godzilla, with Black Knight SOR probably #3.

#114 11 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I'm sorry, are we in high school?

I think the joke is that SantaEatsCheese is something like 6 feet 6 inches tall. So I don't think anybody would want to fight him.

#115 11 months ago

1. Godzilla
    2. JP2
    3. Iron Maiden
    4. Rush
    5. Star Wars
    6. The Beatles
    7. Foo Fighters*
    8. Avengers
    9. Black Knight Sword of Rage
    10. Deadpool
    11. Stranger Things
    12. 007
    13. Mandalorian
    14. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    15. Batman 66
    16. Elvira’s House of Horrors (sincerely, this is MM/AFM/STH without the risk or tension)*
    17. Led Zeppelin (nothing on playfield)
    18. Guardians of the Galaxy (totally unremarkable)

Never played: Munsters, Aerosmith

* Not played that much

#116 11 months ago
    Quoted from Veemonroe:

1. Godzilla
    2. JP2
    3. Iron Maiden
    4. Rush
    5. Star Wars
    6. The Beatles
    7. Foo Fighters*
    8. Avengers
    9. Black Knight Sword of Rage
    10. Deadpool
    11. Stranger Things
    12. 007
    13. Mandalorian
    14. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
    15. Batman 66
    16. Elvira’s House of Horrors (sincerely, this is MM/AFM/STH without the risk or tension)*
    17. Led Zeppelin (nothing on playfield)
    18. Guardians of the Galaxy (totally unremarkable)
    Never played: Munsters, Aerosmith
    * Not played that much

Your ranking of bm66 and elvira tell me you don't like fun. You put effing turles above them both? Jesus christ, point on the doll where Lyman touched you.

#117 11 months ago

Everyone loves GZ and I get it, but I still think a dialed in JP is the best game and the best layout so went with owning that. When you're hitting all those shots and combos after getting the muscle memory its amazing. GZ I do like the code and shots (with the exception of where the mode/battle start scoop is)
    but Keith really had shit figured out with JP.

1. JP
    2. GZ
    Everything else (Still a list of great games)

#118 11 months ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

If someone forced me to fork over more money than I spent on my daily driver used Honda Fit to buy a pinball machine,

My man! Every day my Fit is worth a little less and my pins a little more. Someday I'll own an EM worth more than my car.

#119 11 months ago

Complete agree with @gjm7777's post, right down to the scoop criticism. Could've saved a lot of time just making this my list:

#120 11 months ago
    Quoted from gjm7777:

Everyone loves GZ and I get it, but I still think a dialed in JP is the best game and the best layout so went with owning that. When you're hitting all those shots and combos after getting the muscle memory its amazing. GZ I do like the code and shots (with the exception of where the mode/battle start scoop is)
    but Keith really had shit figured out with JP.
    1. JP
    2. GZ
    Everything else (Still a list of great games)

Both are great games. JP Is the better theme. JP is probably the better layout, but Godzilla shines in the code. There is always something to do in Godzilla, and most of it is accessible in the beginning of the game. JP has lots to do, but much of it is only accessible towards the end of the game. Result? Everyone likes Godzilla, better players like JP. Code matters.

#121 11 months ago

Both are great games. JP Is the better theme. JP is probably the better layout, but Godzilla shines in the code. There is always something to do in Godzilla, and most of it is accessible in the beginning of the game. JP has lots to do, but much of it is only accessible towards the end of the game. Result? Everyone likes Godzilla, better players like JP. Code matters.

Agreed!

#122 11 months ago

Art and callouts matter, too. GZ has that over JP as well.

#123 11 months ago

Or just look at post #1 in this thread.

I saw IMDN at 13 and bypassed to the end just to get the point across

1 week later
    #124 11 months ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

Stern is making a lot of just fun games.Seems, I collect B/W's ( yes they are fun as well), but love to play the Sterns. Interesting to see, Stern's now dominating the Pinside top ten
    My SW has a custom sound track and pin woofer sound system. It would be the last game to leave my collection
    B/W Munsters gets a lot of play in our house. It is low on every ones list but it is the game people are constantly reaching out to me to sell/trade. Thought about it once, but then decided no way. Dwights code updates made a big difference.
    007 is going to be higher on every ones list once it is code complete. Some really satisfying shots. A lot of movie clips. large number of modes, great sound FX. I can see the concern about multiple same shot modes, hopefully that gets fixed.
    Had a ST pro. Really liked it. Local Jersey Guy kept after me to sell. The usual "my kid really wants one" routine. Finally gave in. He kept it for like a month and then sold it . Would love one back. Would need to re mortgage the house to purchase.
    EHOH and BM66 have tremendous code. Thought the shots were a little boring/simple, but necessary to process though the expansive code. Would like to get them back some time.
    JP is also a cool game. Really like it when I am making the shots. Can be a clunk monster when not making the shots tho.
    I can see why GZ is rated the highest on many lists. A lot of unique play field features / toys.
    Never played Rush /FF. They look interesting. The Rush PF looks cool.
    AS. Been there/ done that. Nuff said.
    LZ, only played the pro. Racked up a ton of replay's. Must of been on easy play as I suck as a player. Need to get on a premium. My dream music title but not on the pro anyway.

Munsters B/W is a beautiful pin with that art imo . Love to get one some day. Easy to approach and play.

#125 11 months ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

Your ranking of bm66 and elvira tell me you don't like fun. You put effing turles above them both? Jesus christ, point on the doll where Lyman touched you.

Honestly, I played Elvira in tournament and got a reasonably good score (and I'm a rubbish player), but it was - literally - the most bored I've been playing a pin since Data East Star Wars. It's basically AFM/MM if you removed the risk of draining from the central target on the building/saucer, so the ball just goes around, around and around.

I've played BM '66 a tonne of times at several different venues, and it's like the experience just slides off me. I don't dislike it and I don't like it either. It's what they say about love - the opposite is indifference, not hatred.

#126 11 months ago

I reshuffled your list to my liking...

1. Godzilla
    2. Iron Maiden
    3. Deadpool
    4. Jurassic Park
    5. Foo Fighers
    6. EHOH
    7. 007
    8. Batman66
    9. Rush
    10. GOTG
    11. Star Wars
    12. Stranger Things
    13. Led Zeppeline
    14. Black Knight Sword of Rage
    15. Stranger Things
    16. Avengers
    17. Munsters
    18. Beatles
    19. Aerosmith
    20. TMNT

There are 126 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-top100-is-wrong-these-are-the-best-spike2-stern-pins/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.