Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CoachBacca
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Pinsides Top 20 Accurate?”

• Yup. It’s on point 12 votes
      16%
    • Not even close 22 votes
      29%
    • Who cares, ratings are overrated 41 votes
      55%

(75 votes)

#1 4 years ago

Is the top list here accurate with machines from 30 years ago competing with new machines that have 30 votes?

There’s this kid around the corner that rips up a guitar. He’s been playing for 2 years. Should he be in the same list as Jimmy Hendrix for greatest guitar player of all time after 2 years?

What say you

#2 4 years ago

Jim Brown is the greatest college football player ever, and he played 64 years ago.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Jim Brown is the greatest college football player ever, and he played 64 years ago.

Yeah how would you feel about him being in the same list as Jared Goff? Being from LA, I like the guy but not in the conversation as Jim Brown. Maybe in 10 20 years

#4 4 years ago

Very good question.
    I would suggest to split up the "Top 100" not only between SS and EM but also between DMD plus maybe Electronics from 1985 to 1990 AND ALSO to create another list for Electronics before 1990 or 1985.
    The DMD machines should have at least 50 ratings instead of 15 before they get into the list.
    15 votes for the "older" machines should be OK.
    The EM-List requires only 5 votings which seems a bit funny but on the other hand there are very few ratings anyway so it's difficult.

#5 4 years ago

hmmm, I’ll guess you’ll get either many or few responses - theme matters, it has to be fun, pinside ranking is worthless, new games have much deeper rules and older games are too shallow, newer games have no humor and no magic, build quality, repairability....

or we can talk about Hendrix - nobody playing guitar for two years can touch him - but most of the folks in the pinball industry today have been doing it for much longer than two years.

#6 4 years ago

I would like to see a secondary list for new releases that gets merged into the primary list after a 5 year wait.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

I would like to see a secondary list for new releases that gets merged into the primary list after a 5 year wait.

great idea, but maybe less of a wait?

2 years?

#8 4 years ago

It also depends on if we are looking at this as a "Hall of Fame" or a "Best 100 Machines" list.

Maybe Hall of Fame could be ALL machines, across all platforms (EM/early SS/DMD/modern)? And hall of fame machines must be released at least 5 years ago.

Top 100 can be more volatile and include new releases....but maybe some kind of mathematical formula which makes up for the fact that the older machines have so many more ratings?

#9 4 years ago

Agree that longevity should factor in. And really the remakes should not be listed as separate games - they are basically identical in build, and certainly in rules.

Perhaps a gentle weighting based on the age of the game

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mardi-Gras-Man:

Very good question.
    I would suggest to split up the "Top 100" not only between SS and EM but also between DMD plus maybe Electronics from 1985 to 1990 AND ALSO to create another list for Electronics before 1990 or 1985.
    The DMD machines should have at least 50 ratings instead of 15 before they get into the list.
    15 votes for the "older" machines should be OK.
    The EM-List requires only 5 votings which seems a bit funny but on the other hand there are very few ratings anyway so it's difficult.

Good points. How about different categories, so we compare apples to apples?

I'm no expert, but I'm thinking:

1. EM (is wood rail worth mentioning? I have no idea)
    2. Early SS (1977-1985)
    3. Late SS (sys 11 etc) 1986-1990
    4. DMD (1991-1999)
    5. Early Modern (2000-2012) - up until WoZ
    6. Contemporary Modern (2013-present)

#11 4 years ago

This is there already...goto custom and enter what you want?

So for me the true top 100 is 1979-2004 Bally Williams Stern Gottleib for example.

The top 100 as it sits is really the popular 100 I think.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

2 years?

Sure, I think that works if 2 years is long enough to get a decent amount of reviews and have the initial hype of the machine wear off.

#13 4 years ago

Go to the top 100

Click on various tab

Click on list by decade.

https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/various/decade

#14 4 years ago

Nobody wants to sort. The sorting out of machines that have less than 200 ratings and 2 years old should should be automatic

That would add some weight and value to the list. Otherwise why don’t I just sort my personal machine list because that’s the best of all time, right?

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

Good points. How about different categories, so we compare apples to apples?
    I'm no expert, but I'm thinking:
    1. EM (is wood rail worth mentioning? I have no idea)
    2. Early SS (1977-1985)
    3. Late SS (sys 11 etc) 1986-1990
    4. DMD (1991-1999)
    5. Early Modern (2000-2012) - up until WoZ
    6. Contemporary Modern (2013-present)

I made up a quick spreadsheet.

Removed games with less than 500 machines
    Removed novelty machines
    Removed machines with less than 15 ratings
    Categorized Sega with Data East.
    Only made the list with Bally, Capcom, Data East, Gottlieb, Stern, and Williams
    I made it for fun.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kVwUSGx8CVXBxI2ceKUG32wr4EhavZTn/view?usp=sharing

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

Removed novelty machines
    I made it for fun.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14sBWzM3A_bhEPm68p2etoBofLwxMlgKb/view?usp=sharing

Great work.

#17 4 years ago

Ironic this came up (again) because I was just looking at it yesterday.....there's actually only one machine that doesn't have multiple releases, over 1000 reviews at the top.....TZ (also the IPDB #1).....played it tonight, and it's easy to remember how well this machine stacks up to all the new shineys.

The top 100 is amusing to look at, but in no way reflects actually ranking, longevity and staying power of the game. Just my take, but a game should at least have several hundred votes to even make the list.

(also played my Spidey tonight, and completely blows my mind how fun some of these "not so shiney" games stack up to the latest)

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer67:

2 years?

It took how long to get GoT, GB, BM66 code finished? 2 years is not long enough.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

Removed novelty machines
    I made it for fun.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/14sBWzM3A_bhEPm68p2etoBofLwxMlgKb/view?usp=sharing

Pinside should adopt your sheet as the official top pins list. Those actually look legit

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from mr9865:

You can create these kind of lists using the custom functions in the ranking, can’t you? What I’ve always thought would be nice is to be able to eliminate what I consider to be the bogus rankings - any rating above x or below y

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolfemaaan:

Pinside should adopt your sheet as the official top pins list. Those actually look legit

I agree, that looks fantastic!

MODERATORS!! Go have a meeting, make this happen!

#22 4 years ago

A lot of reviews reflect games with incomplete code. Especially ghostbusters has greatly improved but it is a long list. Batman 66 was barely a game. Even AC/DC has received polish that changed the game.

#23 4 years ago

While we're at it I wouldn't mind seeing a change to the Bang/Buck list either. Maybe a separate list for every $1,250 or $1,500? Maybe only do three list with the highest being $4,500 if you do it by $1,500. I've seen several post with people asking what are the best machines for X amount of dollars and this just might make things a little easier and quicker.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-top-pinball-machines?hl=oscope and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.