(Topic ID: 247587)

Pinside top 100? Jealous people giving low ratings?

By mjruser

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B92505DC-C942-43B9-B0FE-9E5925B67ED3.jpeg
    39ED3270-59B0-4C67-A8B5-C2530D84FA5F.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

I think you can ignore current owners reviews.

I very carefully go through the ratings judging each on its merits.

There is clearly some manipulation of the ratings going on for financial reasons at a minimum IMHO.

Play the game if you have the opportunity and judge for yourself.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I've been saying for a long time that there should be two lists, one of people who actually have owned the game and one for the dude who played one at his local chucky cheese or wherever..

People who are financially and emotionally invested in a pin are not going to bad mouth it for a variety of reasons.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mizzou0103:

I never understood this take. Wouldn’t you only buy games you like and thus rate them higher? It seems less likely someone would buy a machine, hate it and then disingenuously rate it highly.

They are going to rate it high to try and resell or don't wish to admit they made a mistake. See it all the time in other fields.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

I was really just trying to say it would be cool to have a filter so that I could see reviews by people who actually owned a game. I live in the sticks and while we have a great pinball scene in VT we don't always get every pin, so when im deciding my next game I usually look at reviews by people who have actually owned the game. That's really all I meant by my comments.

You are more likely to get an honest opinion from someone who doesn't own the game.

They have no "skin in the game" so to speak. A guy that just spent $7500-$10,000 isn't going to be that honest any more than someone is going to badmouth the new girlfriend or new car.

My ex was great, at first. Now she is my ex. for good reason. The signs were there and I ignored them or was unwilling to admit them.

Page through the reviews and look for trends is the best advice I could give you.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from fisherdaman:

ok then I guess this goes back to my first comment, separate or have a filter by owners and players. At the end of the day its all bullshit anyways. I've played all of the top 10 and while they are great games, there are some on there I would never own. not because they aren't great games in their own right, but because we all have different tastes. You like chocolate I like Vanilla its all relative at the end of the day.

Exactly.

I played Medieval Madness for the first time a few weeks ago, I merely thought it was "ok." Part of that is being unable to hear any sound from the pin as we were in a noisy establishment and how a pin sounds means a great deal to me. I'll refrain from posting a review on that one because I didn't get the full experience, it would not be fair.

On the other hand I played Munsters at the same place and even though it was noisy thought it was pretty fun. Can't say it was more fun than MM, but maybe not as bad as some people who are hollering about the code are making it out to be.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Games that have not been around for at least 5 years should not be included. New game hype and hate/love for certain manufactures make people do stupid things. If a game has been around a while more people have had a chance to really go through the game and see how it holds up.

Best idea yet. Maybe it can be reviewed but no rating assigned for 3-5 years. Force people to actually read the reviews.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gdonovan.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-top-100-jealous-people-giving-low-ratings?tu=gdonovan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.