(Topic ID: 247587)

Pinside top 100? Jealous people giving low ratings?

By mjruser

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B92505DC-C942-43B9-B0FE-9E5925B67ED3.jpeg
    39ED3270-59B0-4C67-A8B5-C2530D84FA5F.jpeg
    There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

It’s obvious owners will pump their game ratings and (maybe) “jealous” non owners will be overly critical. But we have to assume that this is the same for all reviewed games.

So the rankings will still be an accurate aggregation of opinions showing where a game sits relative to other games.

If you follow some of the Podcast elimination bracket segments (eg H2H), the game ranking always end up being the same as the Pinside rankings. And that’s just 2 guys with little bias debating the merits of each game vs another game. Or when they do it as an online poll, it also matches the Pinside rankings.

Individual comments on the other hand are by definition purely subjective.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Current owners’ ratings are the least objective. Bias is a real phenomenon. We pinheads are not immune.
    Here is my somewhat tongue-in-cheek proposal for ratings adjustment:
    -Owned a game, sold it, then rated it- minimal bias, no adjustment necessary
    -Played a game a lot and rated prior to owning- minimal bias, no adjustment necessary
    -Played a game a lot and rated after owning- small bias, reduce rating by 2%
    -Bought a game with little to no prior playing experience then rated it- moderate bias, reduce rating by 5%
    -Bought a game on preorder before anyone had even seen it, much less played it- maximum bias, reduce rating by 10%
    These adjustments may be a bit conservative.

Here is a thought:

You need to own the pin that you WILL be rating and be registered on pinside for 1 year (as owning the game), if you successfully sell it through Pinside, you make your contribution and then you are sent to the ratings page.

No bias and ratings from long-term owners.

Done!

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from mjruser:

I'm not quite sure I understand the rankings of the TOP 100?

People manipulate them to the point of being useless. There are so many comments and threads about this. It doesn’t matter. We all know Aerosmith would be number 1 if it was a fair fight. No, I mean Metallica, err, AFM.

Fugit, everything is rated a 5. Except Judge Dredd... that’s still rated a 1.

#54 4 years ago

The rating are flawed by a limited star system and limited categories.

Is the art “excellent” or “very good”? Are the sounds “Decent” or “Not so good”? Are all the games that are “excellent” in a certain category equal?

People rate the games they own highly because those are the games they like. (That’s why they bought them) We can’t blame them for rating games as “excellent” in categories they believe their game is excellent in.

#55 4 years ago

These are the most realistic ratings and reviews of a product that I have ever seen.... in case you need a laugh

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/B000NZW3JS/ref=cm_cr_dp_mb_top

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

These are the most realistic ratings and reviews of a product that I have ever seen.... in case you need a laugh
    amazon.com link »

This just made my night. Don’t stop at the reviews. Check out the questions answered about the shirt too. hilarious

#58 4 years ago

It would be interesting to Do the experiment of having 100 people that were in the mindset of getting their first pin, giving them the chance to try which ever titles they wanted and 10000 dollar......

How many would end up with medival madness?
    I honestly think, not that many.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

It would be interesting to Do the experiment of having 100 people that were in the mindset of getting their first pin, giving them the chance to try which ever titles they wanted and 10000 dollar......
    How many would end up with medival madness?
    I honestly think, not that many.

Ummmm, I’m in the mindset of getting my first pin. Please make out the check to DaveH

Joking aside, I love this thought. And I agree, not that many would end up with MM. Some would, but this would really be a wide selection of games. There would be lots of Stern games, and probably some surprising classic games. If I actually was shopping for my first game right now, it would probably be Metallica. It’s not my favorite game right now (AS), but it’s the game I’d miss the most and want to play.

#60 4 years ago

Games that have not been around for at least 5 years should not be included. New game hype and hate/love for certain manufactures make people do stupid things. If a game has been around a while more people have had a chance to really go through the game and see how it holds up.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Games that have not been around for at least 5 years should not be included. New game hype and hate/love for certain manufactures make people do stupid things. If a game has been around a while more people have had a chance to really go through the game and see how it holds up.

Best idea yet. Maybe it can be reviewed but no rating assigned for 3-5 years. Force people to actually read the reviews.

#62 4 years ago

Even WOZ gets a 5 from me, but when someone gives a game a 1 or 2 they are just being douchebags.

#63 4 years ago

I think the best review should be you playing what you like and owning what you enjoy. Who cares what others like and don’t like, it’s subjective. I own a POTO that I love and plan on keeping in the collection regardless of its simplicity. I own a GOTG that got so much hate when it came out, and I still love playing it.

Vote with you dollars. And as for raising the prices by review inflation, hasn’t it always been supply and demand? I really want to pick up a TZ and have noticed some prices coming down, and others not selling. But I’m not a businessman, and just noting a layman’s opinion.

#64 4 years ago

What I've noticed is new pins get really high ratings. Reviews by people who have not played the pin should be deleted.
    Unfortunately IPDB seems to not be rating new pins. But in general there seems to be a trend of old reviews on IPDB being lower than Pinside. Not sure why...

#65 4 years ago

amazon.com link »

LMAO, I with I could give that more than one thumbs up.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I don't pay much attention to the top 100 what counts is the pin you enjoy and have fun playing.

Spoken like a man with an X Files!

#67 4 years ago

amazon.com link »

Great t-shirt review as Mr Mills covers a lot of ground.
    39ED3270-59B0-4C67-A8B5-C2530D84FA5F.jpeg39ED3270-59B0-4C67-A8B5-C2530D84FA5F.jpegB92505DC-C942-43B9-B0FE-9E5925B67ED3.jpegB92505DC-C942-43B9-B0FE-9E5925B67ED3.jpeg

#68 4 years ago

I always say this and I feel like it's worth repeating in this thread. Games that earn the best long term tend to be the most diserable.

Medieval madness is still a top earner today. People love it. People want to see it. It's honestly not my favorite and I prefer attack from Mars over it. But I can't say it's not one of the best, it's earned for 20+ years.

Side note: I'm really excited to see what Brian Eddy can do at Stern!

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-top-100-jealous-people-giving-low-ratings/page/2?hl=nintenbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.