Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,087 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vallejo_stand_off_1 (resized).jpg
    jack ass trophy (resized).JPG
    f bomb (resized).JPG
    IMG_5625 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5623 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5621 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5615 (resized).JPG
    KZYERVJ (resized).jpg
    wof pinball (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    ar130556018163722 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    purge-button (resized).jpg
    CDown (resized).jpg
    titlecard12-ytv-wherearetheynow-factsoflife-jpg_203702 (resized).jpg
    rapturebomb2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Announcement of "the purge". Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Post #37 Robin clarifies the ideas/intent behind this announcement. Posted by robin (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#326 7 years ago

I would start the list with the most "ignored" members. BTW, a lot of posts in this thread say: Ignored user post.

I think this is a great idea. Only three people in my ignore file and it makes the place so much better. If only they were actually gone and not stirring up hate and discontent with others...

Maybe its time to cut out some of the cursing too and make this place more family and work friendly? This could just be a user selection not to display those words. In a forum that I run, words are automatically substituted for more benign words. For instance F-word becomes flowers.

#328 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Then you just get people going F this F that F them F it.

Flowers to you.

#382 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I tell people all the time to put me on ignore

I doubt you have nearly as many ignores as the well known trolls like Oxxx or CxxxxLxxx. The bar could be set pretty high (25?) and miss you while hitting them.

#697 7 years ago

A lot of the nasty threads threads drift off point and by the time they dry up the majority of the posts are *not nice*, trolling or just drivel. Not to mention that some real news can pop up 2000 posts deep in one of those threads and fall under the radar because only a handful of people still read them. The really long threads get taken over by the "prolific posters" arguing and showing off with each other and anyone who will listen. Posting is cheap, requires no thought or breathalyzer for that matter. So maybe instead of kicking people out completely, those people could be given a short timeout followed by being throttled to say 20 posts a week? Another suggestion is to have live Pinside chat channels to help remove some of the stream of consciousness from the forums? One live chat for current events like Jpop, etc, one for EMs and one for tech support...

1 week later
    #781 7 years ago

I like how reddit purges people but doesn't tell them. They can still post and see their own posts, but no one else can see them. Eventually I guess they figure it out, but it is always funny to think about this happening.

3 weeks later
    #862 7 years ago

I don't like the idea of deleting someone's post along with the quoted post too. Please only filter the people I have asked to filter. Maybe the person who is quoting someone from my bozo bin is doing so to slam them? The enemy of my enemy is my friend! If they are agreeing with that bozo, then I might decide to put them in the bozo bin also, but I want that to be my choice.

2 weeks later
    #884 7 years ago

Has this happened? If so it didn't get the worst trolls. I still am seeing tons of "ignored user" posts and all of the people who feed the trolls with responses. With Kanada gone, I only have two users in my ignore file. They sure are busy.

Speaking of which I do want to repeat my statement from way back in this thread that maybe a good compromise would be to throttle certain users to a few posts a day. That would eliminate a lot of trolling and stream-of-consciousness posts. Also, another good compromise would be to use thread ejects more liberally. The offenders seem to gravitate to certain threads to be stupid in and meanwhile they can be harmless or even helpful in other threads.

#1015 7 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

The RGP guys can bitch about Pinside all they want...

I don't think anyone can honestly argue that FF was not a major deciding factor in a huge portion of people moving from RGP to Pinside and not looking back. Sure the time was right for something new and high tech. I would be on Pinside, but still be reading RGP if not for him. Yes, I had him kill filtered, but his effect on migration was undeniable. He brought everything in RGP down to his level and made it no fun any more. Every thread had to be his way. Before him it was Gary Arizona. It just shows what damage one uber-troll can really do. I commend Pinside for reforming users, resisting over moderation and keeping this forum as open as possible, but sometimes you get cases where it is not worth the effort any more. This is not a public forum like RGP. Pinside is moderated for a reason. A big part of that reason has to be preventing a handful of users from ruining what should be a relaxing and fun experience for hundreds - including the moderators. There will still be plenty of debate and difference of opinion. Pull the band aid off and don't look back...

1 week later
    #1062 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Think it might be more than 30 now after this

Yeah hopefully he is on a short leash when he gets back. Something tells me he won't learn from this experience. I took a timeout and slowed down recently after making a dick post or two in another thread. The more you post the more you have to look closely at each post.

I have a lady who I work with who is the nicest, most respectable person I know and a really good engineer too. I like to joke that if anyone has a problem with her; they are the ones who actually have a problem, but are just too hard headed to see it. If she pulls me to the side for some one-on-one criticism, I take it seriously and do some soul searching. I'm not saying the Pinside moderators are perfect, but if they have taken it upon themselves to give you a timeout and/or moderate your posts *you* are most likely the one in the wrong. Time to step back and look inward rather than freak out trying to justify the dick behavior.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider john_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-staff-announcement-please-read?tu=john_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.