Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,087 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vallejo_stand_off_1 (resized).jpg
    jack ass trophy (resized).JPG
    f bomb (resized).JPG
    IMG_5625 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5623 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5621 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5615 (resized).JPG
    KZYERVJ (resized).jpg
    wof pinball (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    ar130556018163722 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    purge-button (resized).jpg
    CDown (resized).jpg
    titlecard12-ytv-wherearetheynow-factsoflife-jpg_203702 (resized).jpg
    rapturebomb2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Announcement of "the purge". Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Post #37 Robin clarifies the ideas/intent behind this announcement. Posted by robin (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cornelius.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#143 7 years ago

A serious question, for those of you who don't have me on ignore:

What constitutes a troll?

Also, I want to go on record as saying that with as many problems as I've had with the administrative staff here on Pinside, I've never been treated as poorly here as I have at..... other pinball forums. Even my INDISC diary got nothing but love over here, whereas I posted a link to it somewhere else and I got nothing but guff.

So while I might go overboard sometimes, I appreciate the fact that Pinside treats me with a bit of respect. Thanks yawl.

#210 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

To me the real problem is the broken record. For example;
    Levi says some shit, so you say shit back to levi aboot him always saying shit, that makes everyone post more aboot it etc etc
    Whom's to blame on that one? Not as cut and dry as you'd think.

I just get tired of the same person flaunting their ability to get away with breaking Pinside rules, but whatever. I also get tired of being moderated, so I'm dropping it.

I feel that the mods don't do anything about rule breakers until they get tired of reading the reports; if that's the case, I'm sure I'm being reported waaaaaaaay more than they are, so it's a losing battle.

#278 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hmmm.... Round 1 Guesses for March Purgness
    Iceman, Whysnow, Levi, Cornelius, flynnibus,

Interesting company!

I've already been purged from one pinball forum, I'd hate to make it two.

#280 7 years ago

This thread is turning into a PBC lemon party.

#327 7 years ago

Then you just get people going F this F that F them F it.

#332 7 years ago

Here's my opinion:

Everybody here loves pinball. Everyone here likes to express their opinions on pinball. Sometimes certain people express their opinions a little too much. I don't know where that line is. You might be surprised to read this coming from me, but I really am not interested in testing where that line is. I feel that if you post something that I don't like, or that I don't agree with, I should be able to express myself accordingly. And vice versa! I would much rather have a discussion with you about why I think you're wrong (or, again, vice versa) rather than you report and / or ignore me.

So that's why I think Crazy Levi is being incredibly, sociopathically disingenuous in this thread, this thread about people being cool with one another. I've got my own personal reasons as to why I don't like the guy, but I also have reasons that are perfectly framed within his silly argument about ignoring people and being stalked as well as within the supposed Pinside "rules" framework.

As to the former: like I said, I'd rather argue with a person about something than have that person put me on ignore because they can't win the argument. A little behind the scenes action for you: CL PM'd me once about something stupid, and when I responded, I got the "this user is blocking you!" notice. What kind of F'ing BS is that?

As to the latter: coming into a thread with the title "Who likes [fill in the whatever here]" and interrupting the supposed 'lovefest' with why [that whatever] sucks is the epitome of "not being nice". It's incredibly... poopy is what it is. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that feels this way around here. Maybe I'm the only one that's stupid enough not to have them on my ignore list.

But I hate ignoring people! I think that's such a weak way out. What to do, what to do.

I hope that this whole Pinside "purge" is fair, and a level playing field for everyone posting here. I get the feeling that it isn't going to be, though. The shit-stirrer with pinball trophies is always going to be >>> the passionate dude with a shitty Gottlieb in his collection.

#334 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Man you made it like 12 hours too

If this isn't the thread to communicate why you think this purge might not be the greatest and / or fairest idea, please point me in its' direction.

#337 7 years ago

Care to discuss what you mean by this, or are you going to do the exact same things I mentioned in my post?

#341 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

..and other folks (like me) think he's pretty cool. Don't use this thread to further your personal vendettas.

This is exactly what I was afraid of: people who know the dude and need to be like "oh but he's so wonderful IRL, you must be a troll to disagree with him!"

I outlined two completely valid reasons as to why he is being dangerously disingenuous for the good of Pinside in this thread, and I get "bubububu don't start your personal vendettas in here!". My discussion = your personal vendetta. Unless you're just shucking and jiving for upvotes, and honestly, like 90% of yawl are doing that.

#342 7 years ago

I kinda wish I never shared that Gorf video with you, chadderack

#346 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Down vote is a disagreement, that's all. I think that in general focusing on individual pinsiders is a waste of time. That's what good moderators are for. I think the staff is doing a good job at that. If they're not, that's what it sound like they're prepared to do.

Well, you're doing an awful lot of downvoting on my particular visage, my man.

This thread is all about the individual, though, is it not? People are going to get the boot, all in light of the Kaneda situation. And here I was, thinking that particular issue was solved with the whole "verified Pinside member" thing. So that's why I'm calling to light Mr. Levi's particular brand of trolling, in this thread and this thread only. If the moderators think his whole "I'm a little stinker" act is okay, then they need to adjust the rules so that ALL of us can be little shitbirds if we wanna be, rather than him get exceptional treatment.

#401 7 years ago

Hey congrats on all those upvotes SHOOTTHEPYRAMID !

I guess I'm not wanted here.

#407 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You're a fine person, I enjoy many of your posts, you just need to get over the Levi thing man. Don't fight the good fight, just relax
    EDIT: Edit sorry 2 posts in a row

I'm a lightning rod for people to get upvotes over. Congrats SHOOTTHEPYRAMID , you won the popularity contest.

#410 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha shootthepyramid winning popularity contest...WOW thats news to me as well

Talk ish about how you would really love to like the ol' firebrand but you just can't_? Guaranteed upvotes. Congrats on pushing the envelope, @shootthepyramid. I hope to one day say hi to you at a tournament / Expo.

#412 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Do you ever just let it go? The world isn't against you, yet you seem to have a major chip on your shoulder.

Really? I just got lectured about what a sh!tty poster I am. I guess I'm not passionate enough pinball as all of you are.

#414 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

What are you talking about? No such thing as a shitty poster unless you are talking about Odin.

What am I talking about? I'm talking about the gangbang of upvotes everyone else gets when they talk sh!t about me. Even Crazy Levi, who I'm not allowed to say anything bad about lest I get downvoted and / or banned, gets in on the action.

This place is a popularity contest.

#423 7 years ago

I'm tired of pinball. Just fighting games from now on.

#435 7 years ago

Oh for

Quoted from iceman44:That crazy bastard Corny shooting the finger has to rank right up there in what i'm not sure but....wow
    Even a certain someone else wouldn't air what he had to say.

I don't know what you mean.

IMG_0322 (resized).JPGIMG_0322 (resized).JPG

#437 7 years ago

lol Stella Artois.

And my nephew constantly getting mad at these pinball machines! Hahaha

#502 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah I had a hunch.
    I'm eagerly anticipating the rest of last night's crew rolling out of bed sometime in the next couple of hours and carpet-bombing this thread.

Subtle.

#505 7 years ago

Is there a set date for this purge? I want to make sure I have all my stuff before I get the ol' heave ho.

#511 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

i would MUCH rather see a post with 17 downvotes than a post with 17 negative replies all saying the same thing, and so would everyone else, trust me (same goes for upvotes).

Don't kid yourself, pezpunk - this happens all the time. Heck, you can look through this thread for several instances of it.

#517 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Hey buddy!
    In light of last night's...uh...interesting and subtle postings (is there anything subtler than getting drunk and posting a picture of yourself flipping the entire board off in a "you all better behave thread?") I've decided to unblock you. Apparently, ignoring you gets you even angrier than responding to you so I'm gonna try...really...really hard...to make this work.
    Please...please...please help me out here. I know we can do this together.
    It's better for you. It's better for me. It's better for Pinside!
    We can do this brother. Let me know what I can do here. Help me help you.

Oh wonderful.

So, I shared a picture of me having fun in an arcade, because this is a pinball forum and pinball machines tend to be found in arcades. I figured it would make sense to show that hey, I actually am here to have fun, not just stir shit up, in light of being called out as a "bad Pinsider" by @shootthepyramid, as well as your subtle "but I'm being stalked!" digs. Me giving the finger was supposed to be in jest. You saw it as "flipping off the forum". So did the moderators. And again, I'm woefully misunderstood.

Now here you are, playing Pinside's white knight. It's all so phony and fake and disingenuous, but it's what people seem to like around these parts. The more I play pinball, the less I understand the people who play it.

Oh and I asked Chris if he's still willing to have us both on his podcast together. See if we can hash things out vocally, instead of you playing and winning the Pinside Popularity Contest. I hope you're up for it, buddy!

#520 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah ok that went well.
    Do you want me to ignore you or not?

Well, you're obviously not interested in having a conversation with me, so do what you must. But before you do, could you please quit whining about how I'm stalking you with downvotes? It's really childish, even more childish than me using my five daily allotted downvotes on you.

#523 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Despite what it may look like I really don't want to fight with people ALL THE TIME. There's room for some debate, even snark around here, but goddamn the pitbull routine gets tiring.

I didn't see this in your original edit.

Anyways. That's some incredible cognitive dissonance on display. You're not here to fight with people? I almost got hit by ethnic lightning reading your post.

#526 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

How am I supposed to have a conversation with you when every single post is a litany of complaints and slights real and imagined, with some insults thrown in?
    Seriously...let's try to have a normal conversation. I'm serious. I'll start it out.
    ----------
    Tim...My name is Levi. How are you today? Did you play any pinball today?

Hi Levi. I know who you are. I haven't played any pinball today. I haven't gotten out of bed yet actually. You see, I was drinking last night...

#529 7 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

Yeah, but what if I am serious?

That might be our only outlet after this purge!

#530 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's nice. I was drinking too! I had some wine with dinner but really didn't go over board since I had a meeting this am.
    Will you be playing any pinball tonight?

I'm unemployed since my gig taking care of my in-laws ended when they did, so I can drink and post recklessly on Pinside whenever I feel like it.

Thinking about driving up to Los Angeles to visit an arcade that has Aerosmith. Gotta keep a low profile up there because, surprise surprise, I pissed some popular people off.

What about you, Levi? I think you should show up at Chris's place, unannounced, with a bottle of Moët, demanding to play Magic Girl.

#537 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Well, I play pinball pretty much every day. Tonight, I'm re-installing the THING hand mech that I received from Steve at Pinball Resource. Can you believe he only charged me $60 to repair the seized up motor, and it took less than a week?! So I may have a few friends over while I'm doing that. It will only take 15 minutes or so to reinstall the mech. I sure hope it's 100 % finally, this thing has been a total bitch since I got the game 6 months ago!

That's incredible! I hope the repair goes smoothly! While we're on the subject, what Pinball game needs the most repair? I see the trunk in TOM not working a LOT, but I've also seen the JJP games go down quite a bit.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

As far as the MG thing goes, I'd love to poke around under the hood and play a few games, but I'm certainly in no opinion to demand anything, I am too cheap to buy Moet, and I certainly do not know the precise address it is located at. Murray Hill is a pretty big neighborhood!
    But you never know, the great thing about this city is you can wake up in the morning thinking it's going to be an uneventful day, and then...BOOM! You are playing Magic Girl. Tomorrow, I'm heading up to the world famous Rock Fantasy in Middletown, NY, which a bunch of other NYers to play in the Winter Open.

Well, bring Cisco then.

I don't know New York at all, but my friends there always say shit like "ew, I can't go to Sunshine Laundromat, it's in Brooklyn", which I find hilarious. Borough specific hatred seems ludicrous to me.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I am very eager to hear your impressions of Aerosmith, and you aren't the only person I know who will be checking it out today in California!

Oh boy! Rarehero sighting confirmed?

#538 7 years ago

I'm sorry sir. I'm trying to be a "good" Pinsider.

#552 7 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

I know right? This is worse than new Iceman-Odin budding love fest that's going on throughout the forums.

I dunno if you're joking or not, but man, this is a sticky situation. I give Levi a hard time, I get downvoted & moderated. I have a nice conversation with him, and that seems to bother people. Sheesh. Can't win.

Levi, since we're having this lovely chat: why did you feel the need to go in that Gottlieb thread and say how terrible Gottliebs are? I know you love to express your opinion, but, to me, it was uncalled for. Not trying to start an arguement, just trying to figure out how you think.

#554 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Tim, I love ya man, but you really need to let this go. Levi has unblocked you and extended an olive branch. Please take this to a private message.

I honestly was just trying to have a conversation with the guy, I wasn't trying to stir anything up. I see you got an upvote from Pezpunk, that's good.

#556 7 years ago

Well Mr68, this might just be the hangover talking, but I feel like my time as a poster on Pinside is coming to an end. Having to walk on eggshells with my every post is no fun whatsoever, and what's the point of posting if it's not fun? Between that and the passive-aggressive groupthink, it's becoming waaaay no fun.

#560 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Both of those are bad when done in the wrong place. Here, for example. One of the community guidelines at https://pinside.com/pinball/help/pinsidecom-community-rules reads as follows:
    Don’t Derail Threads
    Derailing threads with off-topic comments and images is frowned upon and counterproductive to the site’s goals. Please do your best to keep threads on track. If you feel like you have something to say that doesn’t fit with a thread you’re reading, then open a new thread and post your thoughts there!
    Having a conversation with someone is great! It should be done in a place designed for it. Like PM. Or your own thread. Or the lounge, basement, or many other places that aren't being used to discuss a specific subject that isn't your conversation with Levi.

Respectfully, sir: Levi started a conversation with me. No one felt the need to quote The Pinside Community Guidelines then. I bring up the wrong thing, even though I wasn't trying to start anything, I felt it was part of the convo - and now I'm getting a lecture about derailing a thread?

It's all a bit heavy handed in my opinion. This is why I'm finding Pinside to be no fun.

#562 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

But this isn't a random chat line.. this is a forum topic about the larger site. What was a tangent went overboard.. if you just want to have a nice chat.. take it to PM.

Again, where was all this vitriol when Levi initiated the conversation? There wasn't a single peep from anyone. But now the time has come for a bunch of backseat moderators to take me to task? That's ridiculous and it shows the double standard around here.

Quoted from flynnibus:

The comment about the upvote and name dropping shows you aren't cluing in on this whole topic of "don't be a dick". When you single people out like that.. nothing good will come of it.. yet you keep doing it.

Well, to me, being told by a stranger that I'm "not cluing in" is a pretty dick-ish maneuver. That ol' double standard again.

#568 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You are in a thread discussing Pinside rules and specifically said you don't understand what you're doing wrong. Kind pinsiders are explaining it to you.

Maybe I'm a clueless idiot - "maybe"? - but I don't see it that way at all.

Here's how I see it:

- CL imitates a conversation that had nothing to do with this thread.
    - I went along with it.
    - Levi and I have a nice back and forth.
    - I say the wrong thing.
    - The conversation is now considered derailing or unwelcome

If we're being fair, the minute Levi said "hey pal, let's chat", you should have said "actually Levi, why don't you take it to PM". But you didn't. That's a crystal clear double standard. But, it's not in line with the groupthink and that's why I feel like

#570 7 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I just can't handle all the postings coming in non stop, drama everywhere, bickering, moderator spankings, wrist slashing, suicides, I just don't know how much more I can take, I just.......I just............aaahhhhh!

Did you know that scene originally ended with him having a heart attack, but the director felt that having dudes head explode was actually LESS intense?

#577 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

Whats even better is that, despite being moderated, your lil birdie is still flying in the thumbnails at the top of the thread, and still clicks to full-size.
    BUG REPORT!
    FWIW i didn't mind the birdie at all, was obviously a benign "beer-thirty" gesture. Don't tighten the screws too far or folks will wander off to more forgiving realms...

To add insult to injury, I took that pic right after my nephew had beaten me over a dozen times on Virtua Fighter 5. And a group of kids laughed at me for being so bad.

#583 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

I read the "get a room" comment as just a joke resulting from y'all's newfound bromance. Protip: if the reply has *any* humor in it and is not outright mean, assume a joke and move on.

Oh, I thought the "get a room" was funny, but after everything said in this thread, I'm wondering if you and I both misread it.

#587 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Corn, are you just trying to piss people off? Take your panties off and join in on the fun!
    We aren't trying to solve world F ing peace here. You should lighten up and take the stick out.
    I did a screenshot of the F bomb because it was hilarious and the beer drinking pic but good lord....
    LET IT GO

Iceman, how many posts do you average a day on Pinside? Roughly a million, I'd guess. Come on man.

And why bring "panties" into it?

#591 7 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Ironically, this thread is keeping the moderators too busy to monitor the rest of Pinside.

Why? There aren't any rules being broken in here. Also, there are quite a few volunteer moderators in this thread keeping things under control.

#596 7 years ago

Iceman, it's not that I don't have thick skin. I'm ginger, so you know I've dealt with plenty of name calling throughout life. I don't care about that.

What I do care about is rules being enforced selectively. What I do care about is being singled out. What I do care about is being misunderstood.

And also, thick skin or not, being at the bottom of dogpiles kinda sucks. I'm glad you think I'm a good guy or whatever, but what are you adding to this conversation by joining in?

#597 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

The eyes are of a man who just got his ass kicked by his nephew

A dozen times

#614 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

wait wut, this all started because you called a turd a turd? What happened to game advocacy, is that now verboten? Some games are just utter crap for some, and they should be allowed to express their opinions. Bashing crummy games can be quite entertaining

The thread was called "who here likes Gottlieb / Premier" and while I can't expect people to show a little restraint around here, a perfectly good thread got mercilessly derailed by Levi & a few of his cohorts. Now, I'm trying to be nice and I don't want to shit on the olive branch Levi extended to me, but I have to say this: there wasn't a single peep from all the pinsiders lecturing me in this thread. That's pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

Also, G & Ps are awesome.

#626 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

"Not me, and here's why! ... "
    Oh, I can't reply that way? Is this kindergarten?

You absolutely can! That wasn't what was happening. More along the lines of "G&Ps suck and you're an idiot for liking them". So, is it kindergarten?

#643 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

The Gottlieb/Premiere thread really should have been a club thread with a title like "Gottlieb/Premiere Lovefest Club". That would have solved a lot of problems.
    I mean I love those cheesy Premiers but it seemed like any dissent to the "groupthink", as Cornelius likes to call it, wasn't welcome.
    Oh well. It seemed to be worked out. I'm not sure why we can't let it go.

Well we just made another post about it, so...

#646 7 years ago

Showbiz was so much better than Chuck E Cheese!

#754 7 years ago

This whole thing makes me nervous. Not so much because I'm now deemed a "bad pinsider" (although sure, that gives me a bit of pause), but it's clear that the amount of moderator feedback and / or reports they get on a member is what's going to make the difference whether you're in or auf'd as Ms. Klum would say.

Plus, the whole thing with people gleefully saying "get on with the purge!" is just kinda like.... what's the point? I guess you're not going to use that ignore function after all?

I dunno. It's sad, to me. I don't think it's going to make Pinside any better in the long run. Heck, I don't even know what's so bad about this place that moderators have to threaten their userbase every couple of months.

#757 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

For me when I first got on this site in 2014 I couldn't get enough of every thread. It was all fun. Now I almost exclusively reduce my feed to tech threads for sale posts(those are getting bad too), and club threads. That's like 10% of pinside that I actually still enjoy on a regular basis. Now when I jump into a new hot thread I'm just hoping the noise is at an absolute minimum. I'm usually disappointed.

I know every post I make is cause for concern, but please, hear me out: what you just said is of no help to a "bad pinsider" such as myself. What would be helpful is if you had listed the things that are bothering you about peoples posts - what posts do you consider "noise"? - as well as listing the sources of such noise.

#768 7 years ago
    Quoted from Manic:

Your post is a good example. Just try to talk about pinball. Most of your posts are about YOU... how YOU feel aggrieved by another member... how YOU are being unfairly treated by the "groupthink" here... your posts seem all about YOU and that's kinda just self-indulgent noise over here. How many posts did we all have to see about you chasing after Levi? Ideally it would be NONE. That's a great definition of noise.
    I appreciate introspection from anybody but there has to be more appropriate forums than this to discuss your needs, wants, hopes, etc...
    If you don't feel comfortable over here for *any* reason or constantly find yourself jawing back and forth with someone... just take a hiatus from posting. But let's not TALK about it endlessly.
    I take breaks from posting and just read. Not every friggin' opinion we all have needs to be breathlessly memorialized here online. I'm sure I'm being a hypocrite to some degree but I do TRY... at least.

Thanks for your post.

#810 7 years ago
    Quoted from metallik:

the biggest problem with pinside are the idiots who spend hours reading the dumpster fires, then more hours complaining about those same threads.

Hmmm.

#812 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Or the ones that constantly interject themselves and think everyone is talking aboot them.

Hmmmmm x2.

#814 7 years ago

Eh

3 weeks later
    #849 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

True….but this does not solve the actual problem…..

It actually really, really does though.

#856 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Only for the blocking person….not for the health of the site….

But what's healthy to one person is cancerous to another!

Anyways, who cares. Either the so-called purge will happen, and we'll all either be vainglorious or martyrs, or nothing will happen, Pinside will keep keeping on, and so forth. To keep speculating on it seems a little too gossip-y and concerned with status for my liking.

2 weeks later
    #893 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I hope this also includes getting rid of the "troll hunters" that are not moderators or members of the pinside team, but are constantly attacking other members on here. ie "broken record".

Well once all of us troublemakers have gotten the boot, they'll turn on each other. That should be fun to watch!

#895 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I got a thread eject this AM for responding to one of these "troll hunters" but I deleted the message so fast, I didn't see if it was purge warning or not. lol.
    Oh well...

You should have brought up oysters.

#899 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

OK, I'm getting the message. Permanent ejects from multiple threads in the last hour with no response to the moderator feedback thread I started. I can take a hint. Have fun people!

Keep in mind, the handful of us troublemakers are probably filling their inboxes with variations on an "are you serious?!?" theme. So our feedback threads might go unanswered for a bit.

#907 7 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

I think with just a threat of a purge, people are behaving more civilized. You still get the usual guys spewing their crap but overall I think its down from several months ago. Still, it would be nice to have that as an option when confronting those individuals.

It's just hard for me to believe that adults would rather use the report button rather than the ignore button.

Actually, it's not that hard to believe.

#957 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I think people report rather then ignore hoping members will get enough infractions for thread ejects/bans

That is exactly what is happening.

It boggles my tiny lizard brain. Time and time again I read something from someone on Pinside that just blatantly violates the conduct guidelines and there is never any red text at the bottom of the post. I don't know what the point of selective moderation is. Is it because the moderators feel like certain members add so much to the community that they can let them slide? Is it because they donated to Pinside (probably not, I think Kaneda paid like a cool million to get back in)? Is it because they have a certain je ne sais quoi that others lack? Is it because they like oysters? Cigars? Monster Trucks?

All I know is, this is a message board. i don't understand why certain people are so gleeful to see less people conversing. I wonder if the people that are so happy for the purge are the ones doing the lions' share of reporting.

#962 7 years ago

dzoomer you can't just ignore someone you don't like? It has to be a whole thing where mods get involved and linking to Slate articles?

Again I don't understand why so many people want to stifle conversation on a message board.

#964 7 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Are you reporting the unmoderated posts that you believe violate the rules? If not, you really cannot complain, it's not fair to assume the mods will look at every post. If the mods are ignoring your reports, start a mod thread and ask what's up, in my experience they're happy to engage if you've got an actual question and aren't just looking to yell at someone.

I don't report very often for two reasons: one, I'm not a moderator, and I think it is VERY fair to expect moderators moderating every post. That's their job.

Two, I've tried reporting things that are blatant violations of the rules, and they go nowhere. It shows how meaningless the whole reporting thing is for certain people.

This whole purge thing is pathetic.

#968 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What will probably end up happening is they will promote John_I to moderator, and you and I will have to find a nice bar somewhere between here and Orange where we can get drunk and have a good laugh about all of this.

Your buddy has a problem with me too for whatever reason. Mission Control is the latest spot in Santa Ana with pins and brews. First round is on me.

#975 7 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Nailed it. O Din is quick with a meme or reference that can be disrepectful to the creator or those participating in a thread.

O-din does that, but he's far from the only one. And if O-din does something like that and it bothers you, wouldn't putting him on ignore solve the problem for you?

(And yes, solve the problem FOR YOU. it doesn't matter if so-and-so doesn't feel like that's enough; so-and-so can ignore them too)

#981 7 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Disagree. They're unpaid and presumably have other things going on in their lives than Pinside (I hope so, at any rate), it's not realistic to assume they will see everything immediately.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you there. Being a moderator on Pinside is a volunteer effort. It's not a prerequisite for posting on Pinside. If it's too much work for them, perhaps Pinside needs new moderators.

(Wouldn't that be an interesting experiment? Instead of the Pinside insistence that it's a few rotten apples spoiling the bunch, what if a whole new moderation staff was put into effect? See what kind of change that makes?)

They provide the "Report" button for a reason, which is to quickly bring to their attention posts that they might not otherwise see for hours, if at all.
    If they're routinely ignoring your Reports I'd start a mod feedback thread, as that seems like a separate issue.

But I come here to talk about pinball, not to make sure the moderators are doing their jobs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cornelius.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-staff-announcement-please-read?tu=cornelius and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.