Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,087 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vallejo_stand_off_1 (resized).jpg
    jack ass trophy (resized).JPG
    f bomb (resized).JPG
    IMG_5625 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5623 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5621 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5615 (resized).JPG
    KZYERVJ (resized).jpg
    wof pinball (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    ar130556018163722 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    purge-button (resized).jpg
    CDown (resized).jpg
    titlecard12-ytv-wherearetheynow-factsoflife-jpg_203702 (resized).jpg
    rapturebomb2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Announcement of "the purge". Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Post #37 Robin clarifies the ideas/intent behind this announcement. Posted by robin (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jeremy8419.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#857 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Actually Ted, you are wrong. The health of the site is not my concern, that is the job of Robin and the mods. I've learned that there is nothing I can do to help the health of the site, and at times in the past, I've actually been part of the problem because I disagreed with some of the assholes that participate on this site. We have all made suggestions to try to help correct the problems, but really nothing is going to happen. There is no panacea for this problem, so I'm taking the more personal view of it. I've executed my purge. I now have a very different view of Pinside, and it's better.
    So now I'd like the feature that if someone quotes an ignored user in a post, that post is automatically comes up ignored as well (not the person quoting, just that entire post). Currently it puts ignored post in the quoted area, but I'd prefer the whole post go away because it's probably someone offended by the post, and I don't care.
    And sorry for the reverse of direction. I always thought using ignore was for pu$$es. But now I'm preaching it as sticking your finger down your own throat (self purging).

It's an issue on all forums, really. People use quotes, bringing up people that they know have them ignored so that others will reference the ignorer thereby notifying the ignorer of the ignored, etc. It's basically a manipulation of the virtual space to allow the ignored to continually enter the ignorers psychological space. Due to the inherent nature of online communities, it's pretty difficult to avoid people who, with the same behaviors in person, would be classified as targeting someone with actual harassment. The only real "solution" to such is typically to just ignore the individual the second you realize they aren't someone whom you'd wish to associate with, before you may or may not end up triggering them to harass you indefinitely.

#859 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I think the feature suggestion of automatically having an entire post ignored if it contains a quote from someone you are ignoring will handle it. It ignores the person you are ignoring, plus the people bickering with their Tom Foolery.

Yeah, for more of the part, but then you encounter the issue still when they skip the quotes.

E.g.,
    Me: blah blah blah
    Ignored: That doesn't even make sense Jeremy, you're wrong as usual. Here's my exhaustive opinion about each sentence you've said.
    Third person: You make some good points, Ignored, but what Jeremy is saying is...

Comes out as:
    Me: blah blah blah
    Third person: You make some good points, Ignored, but what Jeremy is saying is...

So, you end up still aware of it, even though there were no quotes used. Hiding the ignored users posts and quotes of the ignored user does help, but at the point they start to engage you in the first place, such people have already made it in their mind that if you challenge or counter anything they say once, they'll try to harass you as best they are able to. Ignoring people from the get-go, who seem to have issues recognizing socially acceptable behavior, before ever replying to them, in my experiences, is usually the only sure-fire method to prevent them from following you around. Groups of co-narcissists are still narcissists, regardless of size, and they tend to set their sights on people who promote ethical behaviors.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jeremy8419.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-staff-announcement-please-read?tu=Jeremy8419 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.