Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,087 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vallejo_stand_off_1 (resized).jpg
    jack ass trophy (resized).JPG
    f bomb (resized).JPG
    IMG_5625 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5623 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5621 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5615 (resized).JPG
    KZYERVJ (resized).jpg
    wof pinball (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    ar130556018163722 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    purge-button (resized).jpg
    CDown (resized).jpg
    titlecard12-ytv-wherearetheynow-factsoflife-jpg_203702 (resized).jpg
    rapturebomb2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,080 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 22.
    #201 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Better times are ahead for pinball and Pinside as a result!

True that. Better times ahead. Your 30 days will do you well

#202 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And then there's people you have literally had on "ignore" for months...haven't responded to them, haven't posted about them, haven't read a THING they've said for months. They can't send you a PM because you've blocked them, and they know this.
    And they continue to stalk, and obsess, desperately hoping they can bait you back into a fight, hoping you'll notice enough "ignored user comments" or downvotes to get drawn back in.
    This kind of thing is obviously not conducive to the kind of environment they are trying to create here. People should respect when others don't want to have anything to do with them - it really should be a basic tenet of making things work around here.

I've never put someone on ignore, so I had no idea what the UI looked like. For grins, I set Iceman to ignore (he was the closest user physically for me to click on, bring up his user profile page and click Ignore) and this is what it looks like:

ignored-post (resized).pngignored-post (resized).png

I'm always impressed at how modern and how much functionality this custom forum software has. It's much better than most of what's currently out there on forums, boards and sites like Reddit. Robin manages to hide both posts and quoted posts inside posts from users you haven't explicitly ignored.

CrazyLevi what would you suggest? Should all references to the ignored user's post be hidden completely (and not even mention that a post was hidden)? Show the "Ignored user post" or "Ignored user content" text but let you hit a button (icon) to show it? Something else?

I was trying to think how that would work in real life when you were with a group of people and it included a person you just couldn't stand? Would you avoid the discussion completely? Tune them out while they were talking and hold your tongue like a Buddhist Monk? Convince everyone to lie and tell the jerk-off that your group meets at a different bar across town?

I guess there are probably always going to be some people that can't play well with others and for the greater good of the group (and themselves), need to be disembodied (aka banned) and forced to roam the depths of an Albanian forest.

#203 7 years ago

I might have to put myself on ignore.

#204 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I might have to put myself on ignore.

tried it. nope.

#205 7 years ago

If you feel the need to take a self-imposed break, you can de-activate your account. If you change your mind, and want to come back later, you only have to take a timeout of (I think) 30 days. Once re-activated your account is just as you had left it. I don't know if accounts are purged (and no longer able to be re-activated) after a specified number of days or not?

take-a-break (resized).jpgtake-a-break (resized).jpg

#206 7 years ago

Any time I think I might be losing it, I thank God for pinside...... and music.

Lennon (resized).jpgLennon (resized).jpg

#207 7 years ago

The problem is great guys like McCune, Kevin
    LHEUREUX and Clay get trolled and bashed. They say fuck it and we lose there imput and knowledge. I have learned so much from these guys and wish they would return. I think pinside aint the same without them. I am also thankful we still have Vid, Bryan Kelly, Chris Hutchinson and Mike D for all there restro threads and there continued mentoring.

Robin and team try to do the best they can considering how big pinside has become.
    My two cents
    Harley D.

#208 7 years ago
    Quoted from cooked71:

It's probably a good thing, but I get the feeling it will be a heavy handed approach early on, and then gradually become more lax as time goes on and moderators tire of the endless workload and constant adjudication.

Quoted from cooked71:

All I ask is don't sterilize it too much.

Pinside's biggest advantage it has going for it, is its broad global user base demographic which acts as a counter to any perceived over the top biased moderation.

The fact that this thread is being discussed by all members without mob mentality spillover should be all the evidence you need to alleviate your concerns.

Not to worry though, Mark, as administrative and moderation standards would have to drop a long way around here to become a lot more biased and commercially driven before it reaches the AA sublevel bottom of the barrel quality you would be accustomed to.

#209 7 years ago

I really enjoy pinside, and without it i would not be able to source parts, and learn how to do stuff on my machines, as well as watch other members rebuild there machines and customise, but getting half way through a thread and then reading the whinging and bitching about total crap that people go on and on with or personally attacking someone because
    'THEY DON'T AGREE WITH SOMETHING" , I just turn it off and hunt elsewhere on the web. It would be great to be able to read a topic "ABOUT THE TOPIC" and get some great information and tips, as well as source places for parts and stuff. Great Idea Keep pinside about the hobby it was designed to be about and not some pre school bitchfest or sook session.

#210 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

To me the real problem is the broken record. For example;
    Levi says some shit, so you say shit back to levi aboot him always saying shit, that makes everyone post more aboot it etc etc
    Whom's to blame on that one? Not as cut and dry as you'd think.

I just get tired of the same person flaunting their ability to get away with breaking Pinside rules, but whatever. I also get tired of being moderated, so I'm dropping it.

I feel that the mods don't do anything about rule breakers until they get tired of reading the reports; if that's the case, I'm sure I'm being reported waaaaaaaay more than they are, so it's a losing battle.

#211 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

main culprit diagnosed. An industry and hobby with a bunch of dissatisfied customers currently, looking for a place to vent and commiserate with others that feel the same way.

I agree with this. The last couple of years have been like a rollercoaster with ups and downs. Why has Pinside been seen as negative lately? Well there is a ton to talk about with what is going on in the industry. From build quality to price gouging, etc. I am a pretty positive guy and I myself have struggled with trying to stay positive in this current state of affairs. Prices are skyrocketing, and quality is diminishing. This formula leads to heated discussions with passionate personalities.

The other thing I have noticed is the increase in users logged in. We used to have an average of 200-300 users logged in now that number seems to have tripled. It is good that Pinside is growing but as it grows the number of users will add to the complex problem of threads turning negative. I do think Pinside should eliminate thumbs up or down voting. Yes I have heard the arguments about how it is an easier way to agree or disagree with someone without having to make a rebuttal or response but I think it adds more problems than it does good. Why not try getting rid of the thumb voting for a month and see how it goes? People may actually have to write an educated response on why they disagree instead of just clicking a button. If you disagree with a comment, then explain why. I feel this approach will lead to more civil conversations and have less people grouping up & jumping on bandwagons, but I could be wrong.

#212 7 years ago

does getting purged count as a Pinside achievement ?

#213 7 years ago
    Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

does getting purged count as a Pinside achievement ?

Pinsiders will no longer refer to this new policy as "the great purge". From this point, it shall be known as "extreme vetting".

#214 7 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Pinsiders will no longer refer to this new policy as "the great purge". From this point, it shall be known as "extreme vetting".

TheList (resized).jpgTheList (resized).jpg

#215 7 years ago

names (resized).jpgnames (resized).jpg

#216 7 years ago

All Pinside needs is a bitch category a place for the likes of dimples or Change.org Petition: Gary Stern Replace Defective Playfields . Then when BM66 what's your impression is started in the Stern category and someone trash Stern including the OP they get moderated . Bitch threads will always get mean Pinside will need to start moderation subject mater if they want to keep it nice

#217 7 years ago

This is all so f'ing simple. So many here need to repeat this before signing on everyday.

Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick.

#218 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

This is all so f'ing simple. So many here need to repeat this before signing on everyday.
    Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick. Don't be a dick.

Well said.

Could we also re-focus back to pinball? There are far too many non-pinball topics. Basically people bragging about all they have. It distracts, pretentious, and does nothing to forward pinball. There are plenty of other sites that cater to interests in movies, watches, cars, guns, and etc....

I've learned a tremendous amount from Pinside. My first restore was in EM, and a couple of the EM faithful were crucial in helping me with that restore. I've done numerous SS/DMD since then, and again the posts by the masters (VID, Kelly, JMC, and others...) documenting their restores were tremendously helpful to me.

#219 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Every day.

#220 7 years ago

My snarky idea:daily posting limit for WI residents.

#221 7 years ago

Peace & Love - let's just stick to discussing pinball
    Love this place!

#222 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

My version of this: do not post anything on here that I would not say to someone straight to their face.

That takes empathy and a moment to step back and really think "Would I really say this if they were right here....?" If the answer is no, I don't say it.

Needless to say, that's the minority attitude here and on the internet in general.

#223 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

True that. Better times ahead. Your 30 days will do you well

No doubt. I need to get my life back! I should purge myself. What are you going to do with your time off?

#224 7 years ago

So just to be clear, Pinside is now going to enforce the rules that everyone agreed to when joining? Ummm...okay.

#225 7 years ago

The most interesting part of not being a dick here or in life in general, the biggest dicks know they're dicks and will spend all day justifying, in some odd way, why they're dicks.

In other words, the dicks on Pinside know they're dicks but feel there's nothing wrong with it.

#226 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I do think Pinside should eliminate thumbs up or down voting. Yes I have heard the arguments about how it is an easier way to agree or disagree with someone without having to make a rebuttal or response but I think it adds more problems than it does good. Why not try getting rid of the thumb voting for a month and see how it goes? People may actually have to write an educated response on why they disagree instead of just clicking a button. If you disagree with a comment, then explain why. I feel this approach will lead to more civil conversations and have less people grouping up & jumping on bandwagons, but I could be wrong.

I was just going to downvote you, but

I appreciate the upvote/downvote system for arguments you mention. It helps to stop cluttering threads with giant quotes and "I agree" at the end of it by 50 people every time somone posts something, and reduces pissing contests about who is right and who is wrong. What I wish would happen is people would stop getting upset when they are getting thumbs downed. It isn't personal, at least not when I do it. Just means I don't agree with what has been said. If I feel like explaining I will, but most of the time I just don't want to get into internet battles as it comes down to who has more time on their hands.

#227 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Quit bragging Art! Pez approves and i do too. You are one of the voices of reason here, keeping things on an even keel. I am a bit disappointed in that 99% though, i expected a 100%

I can't even figure out what you guys are looking at, LOL.

#228 7 years ago

Pinside mods (resized).jpgPinside mods (resized).jpg

#229 7 years ago

MM-principal-office (resized).pngMM-principal-office (resized).png

#230 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I can't even figure out what you guys are looking at, LOL.

You are at 90.6 Frax. Weak A- click on your forum activity button

#231 7 years ago

Good morning troops!

#232 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Good morning troops!

It's almost "Noone" on the East Coast.

#233 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

What if my name is Dick?
    How do you get Dick from DaveH?
    You ask nicely.

#234 7 years ago

If everyone would just heed the advice of Bill and Ted, none of this would be necessary.

beexcellent (resized).pngbeexcellent (resized).png

#235 7 years ago

Ba Ba Booey to you all!

Look, I know some of this rain on the parade has to do with the whole "special" issue on the JPop/MG thread. I get it. It turned out to be a complete derailment. How could it have been handled differently? Very simple, and this is for everyone, use the damn PM feature! If you don't like what someone has said, PM them. Otherwise posting your opinion that has nothing to do with the subject matter in the public forum is exactly what derails threads. It make the other person feel like it's a public attack. Guess what? The defense kicks in and then get all the replies, rebuttals, he saids, she saids, finger pointing, and then the complete derailment. Whatever you can type in public forum, you should be able to have the balls to send it to someone in a PM. I am just as guilty.

My 2 cents....dammit

#236 7 years ago

Take the sage advice from the Disney ice princess and just "let it go" if someone says something you don't agree with or is trying to bait you into an argument.

#237 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Good morning troops!

Good morning, Cap'n!

#238 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You are at 90.6 Frax. Weak A- click on your forum activity button

Ah, I see. I'm pretty sure that I got about 500 of those by saying that I don't like this country or the state I live in, so I'm okay with this ratio. Frankly, I expected it to be much lower. I seem to have a talent for irritating people that can only see the world in very narrow scopes. Fine by me. I should hopefully soon have a much more relevant thread starting up that should be pretty exiciting and positive that I'm looking forward to, so there's that too.

Apparently just gave out my 5000th up/downvote the other day too.

#239 7 years ago

Don't be a Dick. Everyone can comprehend this. If someone's a dick to you, converse with them about it in PM. Best way to get these pissing matches to stop is to not respond to the first person that pisses.

If you have even the slightest worry that your comment will be read the wrong way, don't post it.

If someone downvotes you, that means they disagreed with your post. Nothing more, nothing less.

Read the tech forums and help others.

If you don't like a game that is coming out from any particular company, post your opinions in a respectful manner. Don't ruin it for the people excited about the game.

That's all I got.

#240 7 years ago

I've only had 3 posts moderated? Really?

Seriously never knew all these stats were on here, heh.

#241 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Robin is Santa Clause.

#242 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I've only had 3 posts moderated? Really?

I've only had one.

That one was when I posted a funny pic in a basement thread of O-din's. I don't go to that thread anymore.

#243 7 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If you don't like a game that is coming out from any particular company, post your opinions in a respectful manner. Don't ruin it for the people excited about the game.

#1 shitstorm generator by far. It's one thing to state your negative opinion towards Stern for example, respectful or not, and another to just do it over and over again, non stop, in every thread that comes up. That is being "dickish", which comes in many forms, sometimes overtly and in your face, sometimes with a subtle BS down vote and sometimes with a general non stop negativity.

The forum needs to establish a better and more respectful relationship with ALL pin makers. Yes they need to do a whole lot better on many fronts, but there is way too much whining and bitching about everything here versus trying to rectify a situation the right way. First step now is pull out the pitchforks and threaten litigation. That sure makes for a great discussion.

That's why the "official club" threads are so good.

Throw the cesspool sniping I hate X manufacturer in the basement or another "complaint section" and try and make everything else like the "official club" threads.

#244 7 years ago

The Dialed In bashing was embarassing. I remember someone recanted and stated that they were disappointed in themselves for piling on. The Dialed In reveal live feed comments were pretty nasty as well and that had nothing to do with Pinside. I turned the comment feed off as well. The ignore feature works well, and the beauty is the poster thinks people have an interest in their cleverness in bashing. Let them post to thin air without knowing it, silent crickets 'cause no one is reading it.

#245 7 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

The list of xerico no less lol

Xerico (resized).jpgXerico (resized).jpg

#246 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Robin is Santa Clause.

And the mods are Santa Close.

#247 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

#1 shitstorm generator by far. It's one thing to state your negative opinion towards Stern for example, respectful or not, and another to just do it over and over again, non stop, in every thread that comes up. That is being "dickish", which comes in many forms, sometimes overtly and in your face, sometimes with a subtle BS down vote and sometimes with a general non stop negativity.
    The forum needs to establish a better and more respectful relationship with ALL pin makers. Yes they need to do a whole lot better on many fronts, but there is way too much whining and bitching about everything here versus trying to rectify a situation the right way. First step now is pull out the pitchforks and threaten litigation. That sure makes for a great discussion.
    That's why the "official club" threads are so good.
    Throw the cesspool sniping I hate X manufacturer in the basement or another "complaint section" and try and make everything else like the "official club" threads.

Quoted from KozMckPinball:

The Dialed In bashing was embarassing. I remember someone recanted and stated that they were disappointed in themselves for piling on. The Dialed In reveal live feed comments were pretty nasty as well and that had nothing to do with Pinside. I turned the comment feed off as well. The ignore feature works well, and the beauty is the poster thinks people have an interest in their cleverness in bashing. Let them post to thin air without knowing it, silent crickets 'cause no one is reading it.

It's kind of funny these two are back to back. Iceman has been pretty vocal of his dislike of Dialed In.

#248 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

It's kind of funny these two are back to back. Iceman has been pretty vocal of his dislike of Dialed In.

The reveal was shitty. But damn, after playing that thing at Expo and now 2 different times at level 257, I think it's a great playing game.

#249 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

No doubt. I need to get my life back! I should purge myself. What are you going to do with your time off?

Make a dupe account of course!

#250 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

Merely to point out the over the top Stern bashing by the same people giving a free pass to JJP at times. Been there and done that for many years with Woz. It's annoying as F trying to discuss and enjoy your own Stern pins actually shipped and playing.

Make it all "club threads" and it won't happen. Constructive criticism is one thing. I also don't create non stop bashing threads or posts re JJP.

But i agree, need to separate the "bitchfest" threads with the positive ones.

There are 1,080 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-staff-announcement-please-read/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.