Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,087 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vallejo_stand_off_1 (resized).jpg
    jack ass trophy (resized).JPG
    f bomb (resized).JPG
    IMG_5625 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5623 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5621 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5615 (resized).JPG
    KZYERVJ (resized).jpg
    wof pinball (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    ar130556018163722 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    purge-button (resized).jpg
    CDown (resized).jpg
    titlecard12-ytv-wherearetheynow-factsoflife-jpg_203702 (resized).jpg
    rapturebomb2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,080 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 22.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

99.99999% of the time the person will say they've visited, but "All I saw was people bitching" or "All I saw was people bitching about Stern".

Yuuup.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

This forum is all kinds of fun with great contributors and very helpful information. Once you've been in certain groups long enough, you seem to know the regulars pretty well and can even consider them friends. Part of the fun is giving each other a hard time and goading one another. Outsiders may perceive as hate, but insiders know that its all in clean fun and enjoy the sparring.
    Just concerned that this element will be removed from the forums without any consideration of what is really going on.

If giving people a hard time and being a smartass gets you on the list, then I'm at the top of the list. Nice knowing y'all.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Personally, my preference is self-policing where miscreants are shamed by the community. Typically they either comply, go somewhere else, or give up after a short period of verbal sparring. Don't really see anything wrong with that.

i think huge swaths of the internet are already a pretty convincing argument for this being the worst possible way to encourage a healthy community. i've seen it myself in many different forums. if you go with a no holds barred "self-policing" community, what you end up with is an insular and shrinking group of people so odious they can only stand each other, and then it turns into a ghost town. even one or two obnoxious trolls can ruin a community if they're stubborn enough. i don't have to cite examples, do i? we've all seen that.

RGP is still alive last i heard, but trolls did a huge amount of damage to its community that had an impact for years. it's far from the only example of that kind of thing. i could point to several examples of local northern virginia boards that had thriving communities that were decimated and devolved into really sketchy scumholes due to owners taking a "no censorship" policy. (Pheerboard, dcshows, Fairfax Underground .. i have tons of examples). trust me, just like in real life, some policing is better than no policing, even if i don't always agree with the cops.

#54 7 years ago

Its about time!!!

#55 7 years ago

I get those invisible warnings when I do something wrong. And thread ejects without acknowledgement.

That's OK though, I know the drill by now.

#56 7 years ago

Thanks, guy with a brand new account who may or may not....oh never mind.

Looking forward to the new rules.

Let's make Pinside great again!

#58 7 years ago

Robin for President !!!!!!!!!!!

#59 7 years ago

Does this MEAN all the "d!cks" have to pull out?

What a world, what a world.....

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

This place used to be fun and helpful.

Accuracy please.

Pinside is still is very fun and helpful *overall* -- it just depends where your focus is.

I focus mainly on restoration and solid state help threads. I only see the best of people in those types of threads.

The issue is not with Pinside overall -- it's with very specific types of threads (such as certain manufacturer threads) where things can get heated.

-mof

Quoted from robin:

Some topics on Pinside

Exactly. Not the majority of Pinside topics or Pinside members.

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from pincil8:

Just the putz's.

#62 7 years ago

You have rules here, just enforce them. From my perspective, if you don't enforce the rules, it's better not to have them.
    How you enforce them is up to you. I would be happy if you just banned those that need it.

Kaneda was an excellent example. Like him or not, he was disruptive in the forums and personally inappropriate with Robin. He can still participate in the pinball community, just not in the Pinside community.

Others likely need to go as well.

#63 7 years ago

Robin, yes of course if someone is utterly despicable, unruly and or someone who harbours bad will toward the community should be dealt with. The problem dear Robin what is the context. I've been on the receiving end of some moderation notices..maybe 3 in the 4 years I've been here. Probably all of them for slamming the Anonymous Group. There are some heavy handed moderators on your forum. I dare say their objectivity is compromised when it comes to certain subjects and topics. I think you need more defined guidelines to help keep us safe. Ex: personal attacks, racism, sexism, threats and obscenity. I mean if you say something negative about a machine or a company..should this be grounds for moderation? In short we need clarity. Thanks for your hard work.

#64 7 years ago

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Wanna chime in? Please do. I would love to hear your thoughts and/or ideas on this subject.
    Thanks.

The whole thumbs down this is just a way for people to "stalk" and pick fights. You should get rid of it, like I did.

#66 7 years ago

Now that's a good suggestion.

#67 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The whole thumbs down this is just a way for people to "stalk" and pick fights. You should get rid of it, like I did.

in my opinion, thumbs down helps people express their disagreement with someone without filling the thread up with more posts whose only purpose are to disagree with a prior post, most of which would only be re-iterating what someone else said anyway.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Wanna chime in? Please do. I would love to hear your thoughts and/or ideas on this subject.
    Thanks.

How about having some other way of classifying forum posts other than thumbs up/down?

I remember Slashdot being one of the first sites to have flags for Insightful/Offtopic/etc. I don't remember the specifics, but it does look like their original moderation charter is still accessible. [1] Here's a slightly different explanation with a comparison to Reddit's policy. [2]

If there was an easy way to set a user's tolerance level ("Only show me on-topic posts" or "I feel a little silly today, show me everything"), you could effectively filter out unwanted posts completely to make it look like they never existed. Of course, as you probably already know, hiding quoted posts in on-topic replies can be tricky. In the past, doing something like this would require a significant amount of extra server processing, but you could experiment with pushing that down to run on the client browser.

This relies on both user and moderator participation to flag the posts. You could even allow the original poster to self-moderate, for example: she's in a goofy mood and she's going to flag her snarky animated GIF post as "Offtopic" and "Funny".

I stopped reading Slashdot a while back, so I don't know if they abandoned this form of moderation or not.

[1] https://slashdot.org/moderation.shtml *and*
    https://slashdot.org/faq/mod-metamod.shtml
    [2] https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/386c75/sourceforge_locked_in_projects_of_fleeing_users/crsw1e5/

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Obviously, we are not really planning a big purge of Pinside members.

Wish you would. Not a huge purge, just clip out some people that do nothing but troll. If you had clipped out 10 of the worst a couple years ago, you would probably have the better Pinside you are looking for. But instead you are trying to apply your own sensibility. Truth is Robin, that if everyone on Pinside had your even temperament there wouldn't be problems. However you cutting people breaks over and over is what lets them act worse and worse. It almost seems impossible to actually get banned from here no matter how outrageous the behavior. And all that does is breed more bad behavior. If someone takes things to the Nth degree, someone else feels justified to go to N-1. And then you have two problems instead of just one.

And I feel this is on topic of this thread discussing a purge. If you disagree, feel free to purge it.

#71 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Wish you would. Not a huge purge, just clip out some people that do nothing but troll.

Yeah I think a lot of people read the first post and got happy...then read Robin's and got a little deflated.

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

99.99999% of the time the person will say they've visited, but "All I saw was people bitching" or "All I saw was people bitching about Stern".
    I can count the number of times I've gotten a positive reaction on one hand.
    I try to encourage them to give Pinside another try.

If you cut out most of the negative threads about the manufacturers that would cut out a lot of the issues.

Might as well just make it ALL positive while you are at it. The only pin makers that come on here now are Spooky and Heighway.

That's where a lot of the real value comes in. No Stern and no JJP now.

This post was community drained.
    #74 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

in my opinion, thumbs down helps people express their disagreement with someone without filling the thread up with more posts whose only purpose are to disagree with a prior post, most of which would only be re-iterating what someone else said anyway.

True, but in reality it just serves as a "stalking" tool for stalker types, and part of the decree is that stalking is lame. I think we could all live without it.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

When I bring up Pinside IRL, "I can't stand it anymore" outweighs "I love Pinside" at least 5. Even the latter is usually followed by a "but..."
    Would love to see that ratio flipped!

This is my experience. Since I'm identified as a "Pinside guy", I'm often caught having to hear people complain about Pinside.

#76 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

This place used to be fun and helpful. Now it's just pages and pages of pissing matches with some useful content hidden deep within.

Maybe that was before my time? I really do not see any difference granted maybe I do not remember the time before it was toxic. I did decide it was in my best interest to not spend as much time here...

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

True, but in reality it just serves as a "stalking" tool for stalker types, and part of the decree is that stalking is lame. I think we could all live without it.

I think pez is right, and I also agree with you.. it wouldn't be terrible either to be without it. Maybe just a thumbs up so it's all unicorns round here stalkers can't do much if there's no thumbs down, and if you agree with someone thumb em up

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Heck, people have become so defensive that even when you try to help out they often take it as sarcasm or condescension which turns into another pissing match.

HEY IS THIS ABOUT ME?!?!

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Very true. Take my feed back score as an example. I have 41 thumbs down. At least 90% are from Kanada or one of his many fake accounts. I'm sure you all remember Taco Tuesday, and the many others. At least these fake account thumbs down should be removed from peoples feedback score.

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

How about having some other way of classifying forum posts other than thumbs up/down?
    I remember Slashdot being one of the first sites to have flags for Insightful/Offtopic/etc. I don't remember the specifics, but it does look like their original moderation charter is still accessible. [1] Here's a slightly different explanation with a comparison to Reddit's policy. [2]
    If there was an easy way to set a user's tolerance level ("Only show me on-topic posts" or "I feel a little silly today, show me everything"), you could effectively filter out unwanted posts completely to make it look like they never existed. Of course, as you probably already know, hiding quoted posts in on-topic replies can be tricky. In the past, doing something like this would require a significant amount of extra server processing, but you could experiment with pushing that down to run on the client browser.
    This relies on both user and moderator participation to flag the posts. You could even allow the original poster to self-moderate, for example: she's in a goofy mood and she's going to flag her snarky animated GIF post as "Offtopic" and "Funny".
    I stopped reading Slashdot a while back, so I don't know if they abandoned this form of moderation or not.
    [1] https://slashdot.org/moderation.shtml *and*
    https://slashdot.org/faq/mod-metamod.shtml
    [2] https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/386c75/sourceforge_locked_in_projects_of_fleeing_users/crsw1e5/

There's a post drain button to help with that, down in the lower left corner of each post (it looks like a waste basket). If enough people click drain on a post, and it gets hidden from view with a "this post is hidden" message.

#81 7 years ago

So a thread ban is not a pinside achievement i haven't checked my achievements page lately

#82 7 years ago

Looking forward to some peace and quiet, and maybe even the return of technical knowledge and helpful threads where diagnosis and systematic troubleshooting help is given.

Not going to lie, I've considered leaving many times. The redeeming factor is Pinside helped me find the local community, both in Dayton and the one I will soon join while stationed at Eglin AFB.

#83 7 years ago

Sounds great. I've had to put a lot of people on ignore to keep the signal to noise ratio good around here.

#84 7 years ago

Awesome. I got caught up in the BS for awhile. Had to take a self-imposed pincation. Very happy to see this.

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

If you cut out most of the negative threads about the manufacturers that would cut out a lot of the issues.
    Might as well just make it ALL positive while you are at it. The only pin makers that come on here now are Spooky and Heighway.
    That's where a lot of the real value comes in. No Stern and no JJP now.

As BSD says if you push the start button with no credits:

"Aren't you forgetting something"?

In this case - someone.

#86 7 years ago

Bravo robin I support whatever you want to do. You have a vision. Continue taking steps toward it.

#87 7 years ago

Fortunately, the trolling and negative comments here are relatively mild compared to comments you might see following a Yahoo article where there appears to be no moderation at all and it's a constant attack of the liberal and conservative trolls. That said, I'm appreciative of PinSide setting reasonable behavioral expectations.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from robertmee:

You just made the list

The list of xerico no less lol

#89 7 years ago

How about publishing a list of users that should be banned and the ability to just bulk ignore them if we decide to?

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

I find most of the people who even care enough to leave a downvote generally tend to chime in. Some of my favorite people here are the ones who are too technologically incompetent (or possibly just don't care) to even recognize the system exists but are filled with a wealth of pinball information, usually the same kind of people who don't really go into the off-topic sections at all and just talk pinball - the more "classic" folk.

Sure they may have no clue how to set a profile picture, or type IN ALL CAPS/all lowercase, but they'll get your game fixed in 5 minutes.

Quoted from pincil8:

Preventing Pinside babies daily

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Very true. Take my feed back score as an example. I have 41 thumbs down. At least 90% are from Kanada or one of his many fake accounts. I'm sure you all remember Taco Tuesday, and the many others. At least these fake account thumbs down should be removed from peoples feedback score.

I have a "fan" too. Can't help but follow me around and thumbs down posts. I'm honored that he cares so much.

I think a bit of cleanup will be a good thing. It's to where you can't be honest about something without some hothead jumping down your throat.

#92 7 years ago

I support this 100%... good move Pinside

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

There are some heavy handed moderators on your forum. I dare say their objectivity is compromised when it comes to certain subjects and topics. I think you need more defined guidelines to help keep us safe.

As a former moderator of a real-time gaming site I can tell you leaving a large grey area open to the judgement of your team of moderators is very beneficial to the community. Specific line-in-the-sand guidelines don't work because as soon as you write them down you'll have the bad actors being as obnoxious as possible without actually violating a rule.

My experience has been when the moderated party has the ability to appeal and tell their side of the story, the judge (Robin in this case) can communicate with the moderator team if things should have been handled differently and make changes going forward. And of course overturn actions taken if that's warranted.

We kept a database with actions taken so everyone on the team knew who had been moderated, when, and why.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

You have rules here, just enforce them. From my perspective, if you don't enforce the rules, it's better not to have them.
    How you enforce them is up to you. I would be happy if you just banned those that need it.
    Kaneda was an excellent example. Like him or not, he was disruptive in the forums and personally inappropriate with Robin. He can still participate in the pinball community, just not in the Pinside community.
    Others likely need to go as well.

That is a problem... the rules are enforced heavy handed against some, while other seemingly get away with murder. Definitely appears to be a double standard. Step One for Pinside is enforcing the rules consistently and evenly.

#95 7 years ago

A Purge oh goodie now that will be special.

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Any time I'm at a service call, I try to make small talk and ask if the owner of the game ever frequented Pinside.
    I can count the number of times I've gotten a positive reaction on one hand.
    I try to encourage them to give Pinside another try.

Of course everybody likes to pretend they are above it all and don't enjoy Pinside but the fact that 99.99999% of owners have visited Pinside says it all. Most people who visit the site are lurkers and don't participate. Following the controversial threads is pure entertainment for me and I learn a ton in the process including which manufacturers and individuals to stay away from. The vast majority of the people I have met in person because of this hobby are top notch and would consider my friends. But with that being said, before Pinside (BP) I got ripped off by some (well known) unscrupulous sellers who had no problem taking advantage of a newb. I say let the drama play out, and if you can't take the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

How about having some other way of classifying forum posts other than thumbs up/down

Really like the idea of a list of tags like "off-topic" and "insightful". Any time there's a simple up/down system it turns into either "your subjective statement doesn't fit my personal taste" or "I dislike you so eat it".

Currently the only real beneficial use of the thumbs down, community wise, is flagging really bad advice or dangerous advice. Would love to see more a sophisticated set of tags.

#98 7 years ago

Personally I would team this with runaway threads being locked sooner.
    I know this makes the moderating harder, but life sucks

#99 7 years ago

I have nothing to say.

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

He tried this before and most people, myself included, hated it. It's just a way of disagreeing without clogging up the threads.

Besides, he put a time limit on thumbing posts down.

There are 1,080 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-staff-announcement-please-read/page/2?hl=tpoeckh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.