Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,087 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vallejo_stand_off_1 (resized).jpg
    jack ass trophy (resized).JPG
    f bomb (resized).JPG
    IMG_5625 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5623 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5621 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5615 (resized).JPG
    KZYERVJ (resized).jpg
    wof pinball (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    ar130556018163722 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    purge-button (resized).jpg
    CDown (resized).jpg
    titlecard12-ytv-wherearetheynow-factsoflife-jpg_203702 (resized).jpg
    rapturebomb2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,080 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 22.
    #851 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

True….but this does not solve the actual problem…..

What some people consider to be a "problem" might not be considered a "problem" by others.

Inevitably there will always be some whiners who think they know what's best for everyone and will cry like beeotches when they don't get their way. That's what's wrong with this world. There are too many people who are not content to just be able to control their own lives. They feel they know what's best for all of us and when they don't get their way become the most vocal of the bunch. Really those are the ones who should self-purge and just walk away from the forum if it upsets them that much. Everyone will be better-off in the end.

I get pissed off on forums sometimes too and just take a break for a while. I don't block anyone though.

#852 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Mods should be impartial. One way moderators can have the same Pinside experience as other users is have dedicated accounts for moderators separate from their user accounts and don't allow user accounts to claim they are a moderator.
    This way the account "MODERATOR_BALLYHOO" can take care of moderation duties and no one bothers the user "pinballa4life" with moderation questions or accusations of bias because only moderators know "pinballa4life" is a moderator. Another benefit is moderator posts could then have a special colored background so they stand out.

Good idea! And you would have option of putting the non-moderator account on your ignore list.

#853 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Inevitably there will always be some whiners who think they know what's best for everyone

I'm not talking about them….only the assholes…

#854 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

True….but this does not solve the actual problem…..

Quoted from spfxted:

Only for the blocking person….not for the health of the site….

Actually Ted, you are wrong. The health of the site is not my concern, that is the job of Robin and the mods. I've learned that there is nothing I can do to help the health of the site, and at times in the past, I've actually been part of the problem because I disagreed with some of the assholes that participate on this site. We have all made suggestions to try to help correct the problems, but really nothing is going to happen. There is no panacea for this problem, so I'm taking the more personal view of it. I've executed my purge. I now have a very different view of Pinside, and it's better.

So now I'd like the feature that if someone quotes an ignored user in a post, that post is automatically comes up ignored as well (not the person quoting, just that entire post). Currently it puts ignored post in the quoted area, but I'd prefer the whole post go away because it's probably someone offended by the post, and I don't care.

And sorry for the reverse of direction. I always thought using ignore was for pu$$es. But now I'm preaching it as sticking your finger down your own throat (self purging).

#856 7 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Only for the blocking person….not for the health of the site….

But what's healthy to one person is cancerous to another!

Anyways, who cares. Either the so-called purge will happen, and we'll all either be vainglorious or martyrs, or nothing will happen, Pinside will keep keeping on, and so forth. To keep speculating on it seems a little too gossip-y and concerned with status for my liking.

#857 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Actually Ted, you are wrong. The health of the site is not my concern, that is the job of Robin and the mods. I've learned that there is nothing I can do to help the health of the site, and at times in the past, I've actually been part of the problem because I disagreed with some of the assholes that participate on this site. We have all made suggestions to try to help correct the problems, but really nothing is going to happen. There is no panacea for this problem, so I'm taking the more personal view of it. I've executed my purge. I now have a very different view of Pinside, and it's better.
    So now I'd like the feature that if someone quotes an ignored user in a post, that post is automatically comes up ignored as well (not the person quoting, just that entire post). Currently it puts ignored post in the quoted area, but I'd prefer the whole post go away because it's probably someone offended by the post, and I don't care.
    And sorry for the reverse of direction. I always thought using ignore was for pu$$es. But now I'm preaching it as sticking your finger down your own throat (self purging).

It's an issue on all forums, really. People use quotes, bringing up people that they know have them ignored so that others will reference the ignorer thereby notifying the ignorer of the ignored, etc. It's basically a manipulation of the virtual space to allow the ignored to continually enter the ignorers psychological space. Due to the inherent nature of online communities, it's pretty difficult to avoid people who, with the same behaviors in person, would be classified as targeting someone with actual harassment. The only real "solution" to such is typically to just ignore the individual the second you realize they aren't someone whom you'd wish to associate with, before you may or may not end up triggering them to harass you indefinitely.

#858 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jeremy8419:

It's an issue on all forums, really. People use quotes, bringing up people that they know have them ignored so that others will reference the ignorer thereby notifying the ignorer of the ignored, etc. It's basically a manipulation of the virtual space to allow the ignored to continually enter the ignorers psychological space. Due to the inherent nature of online communities, it's pretty difficult to avoid people who, with the same behaviors in person, would be classified as targeting someone with actual harassment. The only real "solution" to such is typically to just ignore the individual the second you realize they aren't someone whom you'd wish to associate with, before you may or may not end up triggering them to harass you indefinitely.

I think the feature suggestion of automatically having an entire post ignored if it contains a quote from someone you are ignoring will handle it. It ignores the person you are ignoring, plus the people bickering with their Tom Foolery.

#859 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I think the feature suggestion of automatically having an entire post ignored if it contains a quote from someone you are ignoring will handle it. It ignores the person you are ignoring, plus the people bickering with their Tom Foolery.

Yeah, for more of the part, but then you encounter the issue still when they skip the quotes.

E.g.,
    Me: blah blah blah
    Ignored: That doesn't even make sense Jeremy, you're wrong as usual. Here's my exhaustive opinion about each sentence you've said.
    Third person: You make some good points, Ignored, but what Jeremy is saying is...

Comes out as:
    Me: blah blah blah
    Third person: You make some good points, Ignored, but what Jeremy is saying is...

So, you end up still aware of it, even though there were no quotes used. Hiding the ignored users posts and quotes of the ignored user does help, but at the point they start to engage you in the first place, such people have already made it in their mind that if you challenge or counter anything they say once, they'll try to harass you as best they are able to. Ignoring people from the get-go, who seem to have issues recognizing socially acceptable behavior, before ever replying to them, in my experiences, is usually the only sure-fire method to prevent them from following you around. Groups of co-narcissists are still narcissists, regardless of size, and they tend to set their sights on people who promote ethical behaviors.

#860 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

"baby with the bath water..." kind of situation though. Posts often include content from more than one poster. If you can tell they are engaging with an ignored user, then you can decide to dismiss the whole conversation or just parts of it. If it's all hidden, you have no choice.

#861 7 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I've been informed that the purge should be starting any second now and I'm afraid that I'm going to be one of the first to

It's about time
    I'm probably next after you d'oh

#862 7 years ago

I don't like the idea of deleting someone's post along with the quoted post too. Please only filter the people I have asked to filter. Maybe the person who is quoting someone from my bozo bin is doing so to slam them? The enemy of my enemy is my friend! If they are agreeing with that bozo, then I might decide to put them in the bozo bin also, but I want that to be my choice.

#863 7 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

"baby with the bath water..." kind of situation though. Posts often include content from more than one poster. If you can tell they are engaging with an ignored user, then you can decide to dismiss the whole conversation or just parts of it. If it's all hidden, you have no choice.

Not really, because it would be the users choice. Right now there are two options listed.

IMG_0178 (resized).PNGIMG_0178 (resized).PNG

I'm suggesting a third and fourth option on this feature.

They would both be child options that would be the same but apply to posts where the ignored user was quoted. You, on the other hand, don't have to see any impact. It wouldn't change a thing in the way you view Pinside, just users that chose the option.

#864 7 years ago

Don't look at the light!

IMG_0405 (resized).JPGIMG_0405 (resized).JPG

1 week later
    #865 7 years ago

Anyone notice anybody missing yet

#870 7 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

It's like we're waiting for the rapture.

rapturebomb1 (resized).jpegrapturebomb1 (resized).jpeg

rapturebomb2 (resized).jpegrapturebomb2 (resized).jpeg

#872 7 years ago

Would you have kicked Jody out of the group...come on everybody liked her eventually lol

titlecard12-ytv-wherearetheynow-factsoflife-jpg_203702 (resized).jpgtitlecard12-ytv-wherearetheynow-factsoflife-jpg_203702 (resized).jpg

#873 7 years ago

Post 866-869 are missing did someone forget to be nice

#874 7 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

Post 866-869 are missing did someone forget to be nice

Yes they did.

#875 7 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

I just can't seem to find myself.

#876 7 years ago

Might as well be yourself!....everybody else is taken!

#877 7 years ago

Tick...tock...tick...tock...

CDown (resized).jpgCDown (resized).jpg

#878 7 years ago

Actually "In the year 2525" is playing in mine.

#879 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Tick...tock...tick...tock...

Nope. Louis Cole is

#880 7 years ago
    Quoted from chadderack:

Nope. Louis Cole is

Just watched....what the hell is that???????

I was actually listening to Wait and Bleed from Slipknot...so a little different, but still ironic given the thread.

#881 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Just watched....what the hell is that???????
    I was actually listening to Wait and Bleed from Slipknot...so a little different, but still ironic given the thread.

This guy is a musician on the verge of getting big.

Just posted that as a counter to your Europe thing, to push it out of my brain

#883 7 years ago

Anybody know when th

#884 6 years ago

Has this happened? If so it didn't get the worst trolls. I still am seeing tons of "ignored user" posts and all of the people who feed the trolls with responses. With Kanada gone, I only have two users in my ignore file. They sure are busy.

Speaking of which I do want to repeat my statement from way back in this thread that maybe a good compromise would be to throttle certain users to a few posts a day. That would eliminate a lot of trolling and stream-of-consciousness posts. Also, another good compromise would be to use thread ejects more liberally. The offenders seem to gravitate to certain threads to be stupid in and meanwhile they can be harmless or even helpful in other threads.

#885 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Speaking of which I do want to repeat my statement from way back in this thread that maybe a good compromise would be to throttle certain users to a few posts a day. That would eliminate a lot of trolling and stream-of-consciousness posts.

That, or perhaps "1 reply per day per thread" or something for the problem users, because I agree it's not fun to wade through a thread and endless back and forth when no one can let the other person have the last word.

#886 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

That, or perhaps "1 reply per day per thread" or something for the problem users, because I agree it's not fun to wade through a thread and endless back and forth when no one can let the other person have the last word.

Have you ever gone to a store like Walmart or Target? The checkout line has those shelves with candy, toys, etc. on it to get the attention of kids. Sometimes, I will be waiting in line and there will be a kid in front of me that sees one of these toys. "I want this mommy" "No, Bobby, you can't have it" "But I want it" "No it will just break" "I want it!!" Back and forth they go, just like the scene in Willy Wonka until the mom eventually wears down "OK, you can have it" I always wondered what these kids turned into as adults. Having been 'taught' that getting one's way was simply a matter of how often and how loud you said something. Alas, my childhood was different. 'Can I please have this mom?" "No". If I felt brave enough to ask again, there was no response from my mom, just one of those looks only a parent can give. There was no need for further clarification.

#887 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

maybe a good compromise would be to throttle certain users

'Nuff said?

#888 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Has this happened? If so it didn't get the worst trolls. I still am seeing tons of "ignored user" posts and all of the people who feed the trolls with responses. With Kanada gone, I only have two users in my ignore file. They sure are busy.
    Speaking of which I do want to repeat my statement from way back in this thread that maybe a good compromise would be to throttle certain users to a few posts a day. That would eliminate a lot of trolling and stream-of-consciousness posts. Also, another good compromise would be to use thread ejects more liberally. The offenders seem to gravitate to certain threads to be stupid in and meanwhile they can be harmless or even helpful in other threads.

There is no spo....I mean purge.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-staff-announcement-please-read#post-3614653

#889 6 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Your attitude that you somehow think you are better than others and constantly feel the need to repeat yourself over and over again makes you IMO the biggest troll of them all.

#890 6 years ago

The "Purge" process has started.

Multiple Pinside Members have been notified by PinsideMail of their status.

They have not yet been "purged". But warnings have been issued.

Robin is absolutely committed to making Pinside a friendlier place.

A wise man once said, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

We, Pinside Staff, have made that first step. I sent out the first "warning" letters today. Other Mods may send other letters on future days.

If you receive one of our letters, please open a moderator feedback to discuss your situation if you have questions on the process moving forward.

Let me stress again, the letters are not the actual "purge". They are warnings letters giving people time to clean up and prevent from being "purged".

Letters will be sent daily as needed.

Pinside Staff

#891 6 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

The "Purge" process has started.

Finally!

Quoted from Xerico:

Let me stress again, the letters are not the actual "purge".

Boo.

#892 6 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Robin is absolutely committed to making Pinside a friendlier place.

I hope this also includes getting rid of the "troll hunters" that are not moderators or members of the pinside team, but are constantly attacking other members on here calling them trolls. ie "broken record".

#893 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I hope this also includes getting rid of the "troll hunters" that are not moderators or members of the pinside team, but are constantly attacking other members on here. ie "broken record".

Well once all of us troublemakers have gotten the boot, they'll turn on each other. That should be fun to watch!

#894 6 years ago

I got a thread eject this AM for responding to one of these "troll hunters" but I deleted the message so fast, I didn't see if it was purge warning or not. lol.

Oh well...

#895 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I got a thread eject this AM for responding to one of these "troll hunters" but I deleted the message so fast, I didn't see if it was purge warning or not. lol.
    Oh well...

You should have brought up oysters.

#896 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

We should do a pilot test of this with a certain group of users. Let's go with.. users who have ",WI" in their location.

#897 6 years ago

I'm curious of the # of purge warnings that went out, although I doubt that # will be shared.

But it made me wonder. Was it 3... or 5.. or 10? I doubt it would be much more than 10, and then I thought, wow... 10 people out of daily usage of 4,219 (last 24 hours usage) contaminating the site disproportionately. That's 0.23%, and not even all those will be actually purged, they've only been warned.

If the site could be noticeably improved by purging 1/4 of 1% of active users, then have at it, imo.

#898 6 years ago

OK, I'm getting the message. Permanent ejects from multiple threads in the last hour with no response to the moderator feedback thread I started. I can take a hint. Have fun people!

#899 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

OK, I'm getting the message. Permanent ejects from multiple threads in the last hour with no response to the moderator feedback thread I started. I can take a hint. Have fun people!

Keep in mind, the handful of us troublemakers are probably filling their inboxes with variations on an "are you serious?!?" theme. So our feedback threads might go unanswered for a bit.

#900 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

They're probably overwhelmed with reaction to the initial letters right now.

There are 1,080 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-staff-announcement-please-read/page/18?hl=jeremy8419 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.