Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,087 posts
  • 210 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Roostking
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

vallejo_stand_off_1 (resized).jpg
    jack ass trophy (resized).JPG
    f bomb (resized).JPG
    IMG_5625 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5623 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5621 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5615 (resized).JPG
    KZYERVJ (resized).jpg
    wof pinball (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    ar130556018163722 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0464 (resized).JPG
    purge-button (resized).jpg
    CDown (resized).jpg
    titlecard12-ytv-wherearetheynow-factsoflife-jpg_203702 (resized).jpg
    rapturebomb2 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1 Announcement of "the purge". Posted by Xerico (7 years ago)

Post #37 Robin clarifies the ideas/intent behind this announcement. Posted by robin (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 1,080 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 22.
    #1 7 years ago

Dearest Pinsiders,

As I gaze upon the slowly lifting fog that has settled upon my view, my thoughts travel to a time when Pinside was friendlier. Battles of wits were constant, but civility ruled the day. How I yearn to return to that day.

So, after gaining an audience with Sir Robin and Martijn, our benevolent dictators, a royal decree issued forth from the fruit of our labors. And it is thus decided that a great purge will fall upon the lands of all Pinside.

Sometime this spring, a list will be compiled by the Mods of the round table, and this list will include all the known troublemakers and miscreants that soil the good name of Pinside.

If you do not wish to be included on this list, then now is your time to repent. Cease all manner of ill and bullying, and your name shall not be penned onto the great list.

However, should a member continue to cause strife and discord, rest assurred that member's name shall be included, and thus banished from Pinside for a period not less than 30 days.

So take this warning to heart. A purge is coming.

Sincerely,

The Herald of Pinside

P.S.

While the above is tinged with humor, we are serious. Robin has already made statements regarding his desire for Pinside moving forward. Trollish behavior is no longer going to be tolerated. Ignoring requests of the moderator team is not going to be tolerated. Being jerks to each other is not going to be tolerated.

Please, don't make us put you on the purge list. We hope that when the time comes, nobody has earned a spot on the list.

#2 7 years ago

Lovely.

#3 7 years ago

I've got the first 2 to go...but I wonder how big that list is?

#4 7 years ago

Sounds good to me.

#5 7 years ago

Every week you should put up a poll with 5 names of troublemakers and let us vote

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

Every week you should put up a poll with 5 names of troublemakers and let us vote

You just made the list

#8 7 years ago

How about just telling us straight up if we're already 'at risk' instead of beating around the bush?

See you at league night tonight?

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

How about just telling us straight up if we're already 'at risk' instead of beating around the bush?

You get a thread eject and a moderation notice. That should be warning enough.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

See you at league night tonight?

Bwhahaa....maybe you can put a bug in his ear for their Fantasy Pinside Draft coming up

#11 7 years ago

Hate to see it come to a place to where people are booted but I also hope what you do works. This place used to be fun and helpful. Now it's just pages and pages of pissing matches with some useful content hidden deep within. Heck, people have become so defensive that even when you try to help out they often take it as sarcasm or condescension which turns into another pissing match.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You get a thread eject and a moderation notice. That should be warning enough.

I'm not particularly concerned about myself, because I follow moderator direction, and rarely *intentionally* break the rules, but somehow in the era of helicopter parents and trigger warnings, having a strong opinion is seen as trolling or being divisive when it's aggressively backed up, even without any kind of personal attacks. I'll freely admit that posts like this one bother me specifically because I have been targeted in previous forums I've used because of that. I don't really like pissing on the entire forum to warn a few people, either...it's kind of like big corporation management, where your entire workgroup gets told daily not to do something because one person on a team of 15 can't seem to get it through their heads lol.

Pretty sure I've only ever been ejected from two threads.

#13 7 years ago

When I bring up Pinside IRL, "I can't stand it anymore" outweighs "I love Pinside" at least 5. Even the latter is usually followed by a "but..."

Would love to see that ratio flipped!

#14 7 years ago

And who exactly is the arbiter of deciding who should be banished? What happens if falsely accused? Will there first be an opportunity to defend oneself? What are the specific rules that would cause one to be banished? Does this remove one's ability to offer sarcasm and/or satire? What about the basement - all sunshine and roses there too?

Personally, my preference is self-policing where miscreants are shamed by the community. Typically they either comply, go somewhere else, or give up after a short period of verbal sparring. Don't really see anything wrong with that.

How about a new icon for these new types of safe zone forums - maybe a snowflake? (bet I just made the list)

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

And who exactly is the arbiter of deciding who should be banished? What happens if falsely accused? Will there first be an opportunity to defend oneself? What are the specific rules that would cause one to be banished?

The mods/owners of the sites are, and they don't need to explain it to you because this isn't a courtroom, it's someone's website.

Jeez I think this has a ton to do with the magic girl thread which I didn't even see till now.

#16 7 years ago

If something isn't done by those in charge, you end up with the "bullies ruling the playground" - which is basically where Pinside is at currently. I applaud Pinside for making the tough choice to try and make it better. I'm sure they know they are automatically in for some level of rebellion to any rules/actions taken.

#17 7 years ago

Hopefully it cuts down the noise level in the threads. That would be a big benefit.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The mods/owners of the sites are, and they don't need to explain it to you because this isn't a courtroom, it's someone's website.
    Jeez I think this has a ton to do with the magic girl thread which I didn't even see till now.

This forum is all kinds of fun with great contributors and very helpful information. Once you've been in certain groups long enough, you seem to know the regulars pretty well and can even consider them friends. Part of the fun is giving each other a hard time and goading one another. Outsiders may perceive as hate, but insiders know that its all in clean fun and enjoy the sparring.

Just concerned that this element will be removed from the forums without any consideration of what is really going on.

#19 7 years ago

Great news!!!

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Part of the fun is giving each other a hard time and goading one another. Outsiders may perceive as hate, but insiders know that its all in clean fun and enjoy the sparring.

Completely agree...but I think that means you overlooking the fact all the mods know whom the jokey people are and who the real asses are. Of course we shall see.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

If something isn't done by those in charge, you end up with the "bullies ruling the playground" - which is basically where Pinside is at currently. I applaud Pinside for making the tough choice to try and make it better. I'm sure they know they are automatically in for some level of rebellion to any rules/actions taken.

Guess I may not be frequenting the same threads you are, as I would consider everything I read 95%+ positive on Pinside.

#22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Personally, my preference is self-policing where miscreants are shamed by the community. Typically they either comply, go somewhere else, or give up after a short period of verbal sparring. Don't really seem anything wrong with that.

The problem with this is that then the herd that's creating the herd mentality is free to attack people as they see fit, without any kind of reprisal. Not that this isn't *already* happening here. Pick the popular stance and you're insulated from many things. Remember how for a while it was a moderator warning to say "j-poop" or "j-plop" ect.... now that everyone knows the guy is a fraud, I don't see any of that stuff getting moderated anymore..

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Guess I may not be frequenting the same threads you are, as I would consider everything I read 95%+ positive on Pinside. Are you sure that some of us aren't a little too thin skinned?

Even I ( ) get sick of the thick layers of shit sometimes. True, I could block people and drain threads but I think I've only blocked one person ever, and then unblocked them later.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The problem with this is that then the herd that's creating the herd mentality is free to attack people as they see fit, without any kind of reprisal. Not that this isn't *already* happening here. Pick the popular stance and you're insulated from many things. Remember how for a while it was a moderator warning to say "j-poop" or "j-plop" ect.... now that everyone knows the guy is a fraud, I don't see any of that stuff getting moderated anymore..

Just to be clear, I definitely draw the line at personally attacking someone. If you wouldn't say it to their face, then don't type it in a forum. However, I have no problem respectfully challenging opinions, offering my own reasonable opinions that others may not like, and as stated before goading regulars in a friendly way. Just concerned that this legitimate behavior will be artificially restricted and make the site less entertaining/attractive for many of us who love to hang out here.

#26 7 years ago

Even so, all of this is speculation at this point. Main thing is to understand the rules by which all will be governed by.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I will have to go check that out.

#30 7 years ago

I'm for it. Recent broken records of 4+ pages of off-topic arguing kinda makes this a welcome thing.

#31 7 years ago

Who's going to be the first person booted for complaining about new rules for being booted?
    I'll miss the pointless arguements and name calling, but I have an odd sense of humor.

#32 7 years ago

I thought that was covered in the herd mentality thing, but yes, that's part of what I was saying.

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I will have to go check that out.

Start around here...looks like the spe.....er...the K-man got brought up and then all hell broke loose.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6/page/430

#34 7 years ago

Maybe we just need something (akin to the flame icon) that designates if a thread is currently off topic?

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Maybe we just need something (akin to the flame icon) that designates if a thread is currently off topic?

We already do

flame on (resized).jpgflame on (resized).jpg

#36 7 years ago

I'm Spartacus Mofo.......

#37 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I know I have posted about this subject before, but the matter keeps coming up. And as I discussed the issue with the mod team, Xerico came up with the above playful approach to a warning.

Obviously, we are not really planning a big purge of Pinside members. But I did want to draw your attention to something that I would very much like to turn around: Some topics on Pinside have been getting way out of hand lately. Personal attacks, instigating, bullying. This kind of conduct is not what Pinside is supposed to be about.

I want this site to be a fun community for fans and enthusiasts of the pinball hobby. I want it to be a home for sharing ideas, helping each other fix games, speculate about new games, joke about stuff, trading games, discussing game rules. And yes, (heated) debate is a very significant aspect of Pinside too, it doesn't have to be rainbows and butterflies all the time. But a small group of posters is taking it too far.

I know that negativity seems to be par for the internet nowadays, and maybe these problems stem from the fact that Pinside is a melting pot of personalities from all over America and the world even. However, when the same list of members shows up in every problematic thread, with the same pattern of undesirable behavior, then it becomes obvious that they might be part of the problem.

We are introducing a new forum rule to help curb this. To be fair, you will always receive a warning first if you are found to be violating this rule. Only if the behavior continues, will it be followed by ejects, 30-day account freezes, and a site ban as a final measure.

No Trolling: Pinside does not tolerate actions like stalking, instigation, baiting, bullying, excessive negativity, and repeated swipes/attacks against other members, which are disruptive and prevent others from enjoying the site. Your actions are unacceptable, undesirable, and need to cease immediately if you wish to remain a member on the forum. This is a site about pinball, which is a positive hobby, so please take the negativity elsewhere.

To be clear: being moderated does not have to be a bad thing per se. Sometimes we just hand out (friendly) reminders to our community rules. For us, it's a very quick way to notify you about your post, instead of having to compile a PM every time. It also helps to keep moderation central to the team, so the same person does not get warned twice by two moderators about a post they made.

Only a small (albeit very loud) minority is disproportionately disrupting civil discussion. Personally, I think 99% of Pinsiders are awesome. They participate in a positive way, help out in tech threads, and act in an inviting way towards new members. I certainly don't want to make the problem bigger than it is. At the same time, I do feel that if nothing is done about it, this could get worse and worse. Something I obviously want to avoid.

Wanna chime in? Please do. I would love to hear your thoughts and/or ideas on this subject.
    Thanks.

#38 7 years ago

Are yall talkin about me?

#39 7 years ago

Glad to see this. I appreciate your efforts.

#40 7 years ago

I'm all for it... I've been scratching my head as to why somebody like K gets banned for life and some people on here do the same behavior over and over.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Have you sent lawyer keith after Robin yet?

#42 7 years ago

Nice thumbs down on the opening post by an alternate account. Are those going to be subject to removal too? It's not that difficult to see the difference between a troll's alternate account and a legit new member since the alt. is always mass-posting in the hot topics or bringing up old issues that no new member would know about. I could throw out a crazy guess of who it is too.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Have you sent lawyer keith after Robin yet?

Nope. Robin is cool.

I don't understand the photo?

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

download (6) (resized).jpgdownload (6) (resized).jpg

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Who's going to be the first person booted for complaining about new rules for being booted?
    I'll miss the pointless arguements and name calling, but I have an odd sense of humor.

You spelled arguments wrong. Jack-Ase. I agree 100% with you about missing the pointless arguements and "playful" name calling. Heck I even miss Kendola sometimes, but he really was just a trouble maker. Anyway are we really going to need snowflake Icons and safe spaces?? I know I haven't been on pinside for a few months but has it really gotten that bad? I love all the information that is on here but would be bored as hell without the more then exciting threads.

#46 7 years ago

Can we banish Rick? Can't says he does much for the community besides ask for money and threaten people.

#47 7 years ago

THANK YOU to all our moderators.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Can we banish Rick? Can't says he does much for the community besides ask for money and threaten people.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

When I bring up Pinside IRL, "I can't stand it anymore" outweighs "I love Pinside" at least 5. Even the latter is usually followed by a "but..."

Any time I'm at a service call, I try to make small talk and ask if the owner of the game ever frequented Pinside.

99.99999% of the time the person will say they've visited, but "All I saw was people bitching" or "All I saw was people bitching about Stern".

I can count the number of times I've gotten a positive reaction on one hand.

I try to encourage them to give Pinside another try.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

To be fair, you will always receive a warning first if you are found to be violating this rule. Only if the behavior continues, will it be followed by ejects, 30-day account freezes, and a site ban as a final measure.

you-are-fined-five-credits-for-repeated-violations-of-the-verbal-morality-statute (resized).jpgyou-are-fined-five-credits-for-repeated-violations-of-the-verbal-morality-statute (resized).jpg

There are 1,080 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinside-staff-announcement-please-read and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.